The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System

+10
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
ShahenshahG
Rowley
azania
eddyfightfan
BoxingFan88
Seanusarrilius
KO-KING
OasisBFC
14 posters

Go down

If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System Empty If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

With all the controversy over scorecards recently, I was wondering earlier about the effects a completely transparent scoring system would have on boxing. Imagine, just like many other sports, if boxing used a scoreboard. After each round, the judges designated scores could be transferred to the board. This of course would be visible to all and sundry – including the fighters inside the ring.

Unlike the current system, this would give the boxers a clearer indication of their position in a fight, whilst placing greater scrutiny on how the judges are awarding rounds. I must emphasise, this is not something I would necessarily advocate but, just as a hypothetical, I was wondering how a system such as this would change the dynamics of the sport. For example, would such a system be fairer or would it suit certain styles of fighter more than others?

Just as an aside, are there any fights that spring to mind whose outcome may have been different if boxing was using a transparent scoring system?

Back to top Go down

If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System Empty Re: If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System

Post by OasisBFC Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

i'd be pro-visible scores.

why not?
imagine if it was all square going into the final round! it'd be a belter.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System Empty Re: If Boxing Used a Transparent Scoring System

Post by KO-KING Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

I don't like it, WBC often do this - it takes away from a fight

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

Could actually lead to an increase in corrupt judging. Especially if the judges knew whatt hey needed to do to force a SD win or draw or something.

They should have a big panel of judges ofr each car IMO. like ten on duty for the night and only pick them at the last minute for each fight via a lottery type system, this way Arum owuld have to bribe all ten to be sure.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:40 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:COuld actually lead to an increasein corrupt judging. Especially if the judges knew whatt hey needed to do to force a SD win or draw or something.

They should have a big panel of judges ofr each car IMO. like ten on duty for the night and only pick them at the last minute for each fight via a lottery type system, this way Arum owuld have to bribe all ten to be sure.

even just 6 would do - great Idea - or shouldn't name judges until the night before

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

Hate it, because if someone is down, they might give up.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:52 pm

KO-KING wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:COuld actually lead to an increasein corrupt judging. Especially if the judges knew whatt hey needed to do to force a SD win or draw or something.

even just 6 would do - great Idea - or shouldn't name judges until the night before

A pool of six would do fine for me too. Have three official. Then have the three that arn't score it to, so that if there is indescrepencies with the official judging it sticks out even more

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Hate it, because if someone is down, they might give up.

True, but then for everyone giving up there would be one veeing for the KO!

That said I don't like the idea too much.

People giving up
Corners b***hing and moaning DURING the fight at the way scoring is going
Fighters tensing up after 3 if they know htey are down or losing their cool because they feel they're getting jobbed

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

great idea, also if they showed which judges gave who the round.

or they could just hand out suspensions (and long ones) to judges on a 3 strikes system

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:04 pm

In a good fight, nothing beats the anticipation of the judges decision. Even if its a robbery after the event.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

Have seen open scoring which is very similar to this in use on occasions with the WBc and have to say I am not a fan, removes a huge element of drama from the fight and in Vitali vs Peter where it was in use believe I am right in saying Peter quit after the scores had been announced after the eighth telling him he was a country mile behind, may have been coincidence but I am not so convinced.

Also if a guy knows he is comfortably in front with only three to go what is to stop him coasting, at least at the minute there is always that nagging doubt the judges might not be seeing it as he thinks and thus encouragement to keep trying to win rounds. Would not argue the standard of judging needs radical improvements and quickly but revealing the scores is not the answer for me

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

They should make ten judges score the fight and THEN pick em at random - and all the results (slected or not) go some way to determine if they will be picked in future.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

Understand the dislike of open scores but, looking at Saturday's fight, I don't think Pac gassed in the championship rounds he just coasted as he must've thought he had at least 6 if not more of the first 9 rounds in the back (I had him 8-1 up). If he'd none that by some miracle there were only a couple of rounds in it I think he would've gone all out in rounds 10-12.

Maybe announcing the scores after just the 4th and 8th rounds, even just after the 6th would help. Pac would've known he was 5-1, 4-2, 3-2 after 6 so it would become clear his better cleaner work wasn't winning him rounds and he'd need work-rate to win.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:49 pm

Might also cause problems with the crowd. Imagine if you watched the Rios Abril fight and after 6 rounds Rios was pitching a shutout, the crowd would go nuts.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:They should make ten judges score the fight and THEN pick em at random - and all the results (slected or not) go some way to determine if they will be picked in future.

or they could do like the good old days and have a newspaper decision. 83-1-1 to pacquaio for saturday according to boxrec!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm

They'd move the fights to partisan terrtory.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

milkyboy wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:They should make ten judges score the fight and THEN pick em at random - and all the results (slected or not) go some way to determine if they will be picked in future.

or they could do like the good old days and have a newspaper decision. 83-1-1 to pacquaio for saturday according to boxrec!

Oh dear that's a huge margin. I think something needs doing but don't think open scoring is the right thing just needs good scoring. It would make some fights very interesting though, what would have happened if Marquez or Abril could see they were losing going into the last few rounds and needed to abandon the defence a bit and open up more. Also I think there could be even more home town bias when scoring close rounds as every close round that is scored to an away fighter would be booed and booed very loud.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:25 am

I think something has to change to at least put some pressure on judges to justify their scoring. ATM you can score a fight however you like and nothing happens!

I think all judges should write a short report with a brief note on each round explaining how and why they scored it. Also I would in the case of a controversial fight, make them explain it in the post fight press conference with the fight on replay. With this in mind |i think they'll be less likely to score dodgy.

Saying that boxing has always been corrupt so things will still happen!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

I wouldn't like it. I like the anxious wait prior to a decision, and as Seanus says it could lead to further corruption through manipulating scores to suit their needs.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jun 2012, 11:26 am

Perhaps it’s not an issue of transparency but rather a problem with consistency – or lack of – in the scoring system. Judges can award rounds based on a multitude of criteria, and perhaps this opens a fight up to too much interpretation. Of course opinion matters, but I think those opinions need to based around a more rigid framework. Take the Calzaghe/Hopkins fight for example. If one judge is biased towards aggression whilst another is looking at cleaner shots, we have two different winners. Personally speaking, I think effectiveness should always take precedence over aggressiveness: what’s the point in being aggressive if you’re being ineffectual. With that said, maybe Azania is right; Boxing will always have its contentious decisions and that is an inherent – and important part - of the sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 12 Jun 2012, 12:02 pm

They should immediately publish the judges scores after each round, so the viewer may get to see Round 5 - 10/9 9/10 10/9 to Boxer A. That would actually make it fun viewing.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 12 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

simply ban judges for bad decision, lifetime bans. it'd have to be a hefty pay off for them to be willing to throw the fight one fighters way

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:01 pm

if they showed them to the tv views but kept them secret at the venue it would be the best of both worlds, although i have to admit ive been swayed against this arguement. i thought bradley won, but was 100% sure manny would get it, when i heard SD i couldnt beleive it. that moment was almost better than the fight. and bradleys suprise was priceless.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

Gotta red button the tv scores so he who wants to see and who doesnt - gets just that.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:27 pm

brilliant

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down