The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham

+6
twoeightnine
dynamark
Skydriver
Hibbz
McLaren
Conehead
10 posters

Go down

Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham Empty Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:04 am

Now that the US Open is over thoughts turn to the 3rd Major of the season and a welcome return to The Open at Lytham.

I say welcome as my parents live in Blackpool and it's an ideal destination for me to go and see some live golf.

I went in 2001 on the last day but my enthusiasm for golf was nowhere near the levels it's at night.

I have a season ticket for the whole week this year and really looking forward to the whole tournament and want to get the best possible experience.

I'm planning to at least watch one whole group for an entire round as think it would be a real eye opener to see how a pro builds momentum,handles poor shots, routine, how much he chats to the other players/caddie and just general behaviour of a pro golfer throughout 18 holes. After that i'm hoping to see all the big names, looking forward to the instructors area (free golf lessons apparently) and generally just soaking up the atmosphere of a Major championship.

Any tips and suggestions would be welcome. Do people just float around and catch shots here or there? Do you solidly follow a whole group for an entire round? Catch the big names and struggle to see because of the crowds? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham Empty Re: Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

Make sure you wear golf shoes, this is a real advantage when attending events.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham Empty Re: Watching golf live- The Open at Lytham

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

Yeah, golf attire is not only de rigour but a sensible choice for these events.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

I've only been to single days at pro tournaments, and as a result, have so far flitted around in order to see as many different players as possible (perhaps bouncing between 2-3 adjacent groups over a series of holes before moving forward/back/across to a different set of players). I have typically gone for the big names, but following some of the lesser players is also good as the crowds can be much easier to navigate and you can position yourself much closer / with much better views.

If I had a season ticket, I'd probably alternate the above on different days and following a particular favourite player for longer.

Otherwise, I'd recommend investing in a pair of compact binoculars if you don't have one already, carrying some water/drinks, and be prepared for different types of weather!

Mac's advice to wear golf shoes on the course is sensible in my view, although I know others disagree. A comfortable pair of trainers should be fine though.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

Not a lot of point watching tee shots on the 4s and 5s.Better to walk up to the landing areas and see the second shots.Seeing how they get out of trouble is great.
If youve got the week ticket you can try the lot.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:50 am

Limited experience says that it would be worth getting into a stand early and watch a decent number of groups go through. You then get to watch all the different short game skills.

Following a group can be a bit tough unless its minor players.

Definitely get some binoculars.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:51 am

Dyna,
Unless you can secure a vantage point behind the tee, in which case it's quite instructive to see the pre-shot routine and then the actual swing and strike.
I'll be at Hartford this Friday and many tee boxes have viewing areas.

Regardless, Coney, be prepared to scamper around - as Dynamark says, if you choose not to watch the tee shots, get ahead of the play, and therefore the crowds, especially for popular groups. Nothing like watching the pros play trouble shots though, so be prepared for that too!
Should be four great days out for you. Envious!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:04 pm

Dont try and follow all 18 holes of tigers group. Even for me that turned out to be a wasted day.

The best way to do it is to find a position that is quiet and where you can lay out your picnic. That way you can be relaxed, eat and watch many different players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

Picnic?
He's going to a golf tournament not a day at the seaside!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

All good advice so far, cheers guys.

When I went in 2001, Tiger was out pretty early and it was still then pretty impossible to get near the action so god knows what that will be like on Thusday.

I want to see him play but I think the technique of getting a good spot on a Par 3 stand for a few groups will by my best bet. Hole 1 maybe as there is a huge stand behind that from what i remember.

I think after 4 days of walking (plus 1 practice day) me and my brother will be shattered and have plannned to set up camp on the Sunday in the main grandstand of the 18th so we can see the winner lift the trophy (and maybe even a play off).

Good tip on the golf shoes. Binoculars aren't something i've ever considered but may ask around and see if someone I know has a pair.

As for a picnic. Growing up in Blackpool I know how unpredictable the weather can be. It was scorching on the Sunday in 2001 so hoping for more of the same next month!

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

Kwini

Surely even you get bored by more than 30 minutes at a time of watching golf?

You may as well have some tasty treats and fine refreshment to look forward to.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

Mac,
You sound like a correspondent for the "Savorvore" section of our local rag!

Must admit, I love following groups around 18 holes, perhaps waiting awhile to see adjacent groups playing in to par-5's, then moving on again. And my most common tournament experiences are usually one-day jobs followed by a 250-mile drive home, so am on an abstemious diet so as not to succumb to alcohol-induced narcolepsy at 80 mph on I89!

PS: Always found sampling the tastiest treats on golfcourses occurred when other golfers were not around.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

Conehead -make sure you wear your 606 shirt and Monty mask.
reports in to us would be most welcome.I went to Lytham the once and play was called off due to flooding just as we walked through the gate.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

McLaren wrote:Make sure you wear golf shoes, this is a real advantage when attending events.

Laugh

Yes, but you only really get the benefit of wearing golf shoes if they are the type with the long fringed tongue (kiltie?) and you also wear tartan golf trousers with your golf glove hanging out of the back pocket.

Actually, packing your golf waterproofs is a piece of kit which is genuinely useful.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

My top tips:

1. As you have a season ticket, I thoroughly recommend going to at least one practice day. The crowds are tiny compared to the 4 tournament days so you can get really close to the action, the players are more relaxed and interact more with the crowd and try a few different things. You can also bring cameras (I have some good video clips of swings from behind the tee at RSG last year).

2. If you want to get a good view of Tiger etc, you need to get a few holes ahead, find a good spot, and wait until he comes by. The R&A tend to bunch the marquee groups together, so if you stay in a good spot for an hour you will see a lot of top players coming through.

3. Go to the instruction zone first thing in the morning, that way you will have more choice of when you can book your free lesson. Accept that in exchange for a free lesson, your email box will be filled with golf spam for the next 6 months.

4. Visit the practice round for a real eye opener as to how a pro prepares for a round. It is fascinating to be able to compare the difference in ball striking abilities of the players (surprising how good / not so good some are). Also interesting to see who is mates with who.

5. Grandstands around 18th green are likely to be reserved seating. However, you can usually blag your way in.

6. Don't forget your phone. The ability to follow Ian Poutler's on course tweets is essential.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

Good tips Ray.

Will be going to at least one practice day and didn't think filming would be allowed at all.

I'm more relieved they've lifting the ban of mobile phones in general. The days are going to be so long it would of been highly impractical to leave it at home.

Not sure how easy it would be to post videos on here but i'll try and share any decent footage I get.

I know you can reserve Grandstand seating I think it was something crazy like an extra £150 but (again, going off my 2001 experience) it was possible to get a seat for free by the 18th.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

The best advice I can give is not to go to watch the Open at Lytham. It's a pretty tough course for spectators, since it's hemmed in by the railway on one side, houses at the far end, and all sorts of trees and bushes on the back nine. It's pretty much an out and back course too, so lots of walking. Muirfield - next year - is possibly the best course for viewing on the Open rota, and it's arranged in two loops of nine holes.

If you must go to Lytham, then there aren't many places where you can see more than one hole. There's a par three at the far end - maybe the ninth, followed by a par 4 that's driveable in favourable wind conditions. That's one of the few places you can follow the action on more than one hole.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:34 pm

George.
When Ernie won at Muirfield it was pretty obvious there would be a play off.
We got right to the top of the stand behind the 16th green. Using binoculars you could see 1st, 2nd, 16th and 17th up to the green best views on the course.

I thought Turnberry was a poor course for viewing

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down