The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list

+12
OasisBFC
Sugar Floyd Louis
monty junior
eddyfightfan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
John Bloody Wayne
bhb001
Seanusarrilius
bellchees
BoxingFan88
Pedro147
16 posters

Go down

Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list Empty Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list

Post by Pedro147 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

Boxer Floyd Mayweather has overtaken Tiger Woods at the top of Forbes magazine's list of the 100 highest-paid sports personalities.

Mayweather, currently serving a three-month jail sentence for domestic assault, made $85m (£54.25m) - a figure bolstered by promoting his own fights.

Golfing legend Woods dropped to third having received $59.4m (£37.92m) with boxer Manny Pacquiao rising to second on earnings of $62m (£39.57m).

David Beckham is eighth on the list.

He is the highest paid footballer with earnings of $46m (£29.36m).

Forbes list of highest paid sports stars
1 Floyd Mayweather $85m (£54.25m)

2 Manny Pacquiao $62m (£39.57m)

3 Tiger Woods $59.4m (£37.92m)

4 LeBron James $53m (£33.84m)

5 Roger Federer $52.7m (£33.64)

6 Kobe Bryant $52.3m (£33.38m)

7 Phil Mickelson $47.8m (£30.51m)

8 David Beckham $46m (£29.36m)

9 Cristiano Ronaldo $42.5m (£27.10m)

10 Peyton Manning $42.4m (£27.06m)

Miami Heat star LeBron James ranks fourth at $53m (£33.84m), the highest of 13 basketball players and on the list. Swiss tennis star Roger Federer was fifth at $52.7m (£33.64m).

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

The most impressive thing is Floyd Mayweather's numbers are his earnings from the sport, not sponsorship deals like the others.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather knocks Tiger Woods off the top of Forbes list

Post by Pedro147 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

Also interesting is the fact that he promotes his own fights as said. I wonder will more boxers try doing this in a way to cut out the 'middle man'.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

A few months not being able to spend his truly silly amount of cash he has might do Floyd some good. How Manny is squandering that kind of money is beyond me.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

I don't know why all the big names of the sport don't ride out their promtional contracts and then go their own way, or at the very least negotiate it highly in their favour.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

I don't know why all the big names of the sport don't ride out their promotional contracts and then go their own way, or at the very least negotiate it highly in their favour.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

alma wrote:Further proof that his lawyer's attempts to get him out early on the grounds of his incarceration damaging his earnings potential were complete codswallop.

Actually, it could costs him several thousand dollars, which would be like saying a fiver to you or me! Gross terms, may look big. Compare against what he earns and it's peanuts

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

So boxing is dieing, but the two highest earners in sports are boxers. Not bad.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

$85m is not to be sniffed at for what amounts to less than 50 minutes in the ring.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

Imagine what the values would be if they fought each other, it would eclipse any sportman's earning of all time

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

it wouldn't anymore

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 20 Jun 2012, 2:04 am

I think Tiger knocked himself off it more than anything else

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

Monty... damn right.

Sponsors seem to be a bit fake if you ask me, I know they care about their image etc but they seem to want to be in these guys faces when they're at the top then as soon as something goes wrong they're dropped like a sack of potatoes!

I can bet you Tiger, and even Rooney (when coke dropped him) were surprised by their brands suddenly turning their backs on them; no doubt when they're signing the contracts they brown-nose them and go on like they'll be loyal to them.

As someone mentioned it's quite crazy for Floyd to be top of that list without huge endorsements.. but Floyd being Floyd that makes sense Laugh With the silly outbursts and constant bad publicity he wouldn't last a minute with any brand.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 10:35 am

monty junior wrote:I think Tiger knocked himself off it more than anything else

he got a gaggle of blondes to do that.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 20 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:Monty... damn right.

Sponsors seem to be a bit fake if you ask me, I know they care about their image etc but they seem to want to be in these guys faces when they're at the top then as soon as something goes wrong they're dropped like a sack of potatoes!

I can bet you Tiger, and even Rooney (when coke dropped him) were surprised by their brands suddenly turning their backs on them; no doubt when they're signing the contracts they brown-nose them and go on like they'll be loyal to them.

As someone mentioned it's quite crazy for Floyd to be top of that list without huge endorsements.. but Floyd being Floyd that makes sense Laugh With the silly outbursts and constant bad publicity he wouldn't last a minute with any brand.

That's how it works - also in boxing Khan and reebok had a great relationship, he lost to peterson - Reebok no more
Mayweather is sponsored by reebok - he gets paid few million each camp for wearing there vests during camp and shoes during fights
F

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 20 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm

OasisBFC wrote:
monty junior wrote:I think Tiger knocked himself off it more than anything else

he got a gaggle of blondes to do that.

laughing

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 20 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Does anyone know the highest yearly earnings de la Hoya earned. He is the most financially successful boxer based on purses, so looking at mayweathers numbers shows how much de la Hoya made in his prime

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 20 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:So boxing is dieing, but the two highest earners in sports are boxers. Not bad.

Those are my thoughts too. Considering boxing has been relegated to a minority sport in recent years, it goes to show that being the best boxer in the world is still more lucrative than being the best in any other sport.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 20 Jun 2012, 2:48 pm

Could sportstars from other sports start taking note?

Messi without doubt attracts viewers for Barcelona, he's humble and not a greedy git but imagine he decided he wanted a percentage of the money Barca gets from t.v deals etc and threaten to not play if they refuse Laugh

Benson makes a good point, how can the best in a minority sport the most well off! Kobe/Lebron, Bolt, Phelps, Nadal/Djokovic should all take a stand and demand more money cause their respective sports may not have as much views/money without them Whistle

I know I'm dreaming here but a boxing fan in the 50s would've been laughed at if they suggested one day boxers could be self-promoters (with the way things were run back then).

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:So boxing is dieing, but the two highest earners in sports are boxers. Not bad.

Those are my thoughts too. Considering boxing has been relegated to a minority sport in recent years, it goes to show that being the best boxer in the world is still more lucrative than being the best in any other sport.

if they get injured or their fight falls apart due to opponent dropping out they don't earn a penny for months. they dont earn a wage and only get paid when they fight. its no wonder people would rather go into NFL etc.

it annoys me seeing some boxers having to work part time when they're at a decent level - british champ etc.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

A lot to do with Woods sex addiction and lack of form.....

Poor old Tiger.....suffering from an illness where he can't stop sleeping with gorgeous women...

Hope he gets better soon...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

Woods showed plenty of form. Just not at golf.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down