The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior

+5
Steffan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
paperbag_puncher
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
9 posters

Go down

Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior Empty Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 pm

He has a fight coming up in a couple of weeks again Derry Matthews and hopefully it should be a corker.

I think Rees is a great little fighter and it rarely in a boring fight, wears his heart on his sleeve and isnt afraid to give it 100%.

He travelled to France to face his mandatory last time out and put on a clinic which was fantastic.

It may be a step too far for Matthews though who was in quite a battle with Crolla last time.

Rees is a little British Bulldog and will maybe have too much.

Great to see a British fighter who loves a good tear up.

Great fight potentially, hopefully it doesn't end like last time.

Whats your predictions lads?

Cheers

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior Empty Re: Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:He has a fight coming up in a couple of weeks again Derry Matthews and hopefully it should be a corker.

I think Rees is a great little fighter and it rarely in a boring fight, wears his heart on his sleeve and isnt afraid to give it 100%.

He travelled to France to face his mandatory last time out and put on a clinic which was fantastic for a Welsh man even to face a mandatory these days.

It may be a step too far for Matthews though who was in quite a battle with Crolla last time.

Cheers

Dee

It all makes sense now.. Agree with the sentiment of the article though.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior Empty Re: Gavin Rees - A Real British Warrior

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:10 pm

He isn't the best in britain in my view but enough to give any lightweight a few bumpy moments. Would like to see him have a go at Burn's title. Think he could be a 2 time champ and a credible welsh world champion
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:He isn't the best in britain in my view but enough to give any lightweight a few bumpy moments. Would like to see him have a go at Burn's title. Think he could be a 2 time champ and a credible welsh world champion

What? Yeah, put him in with Burns but for a non title fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm

He's eoropean chanpion Az, why the hell shouldn't he fight for a world title. Once again, you make no sense. Go write your P4P list again, do something useful Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Should be a good fight, I think Rees is too crafty and too good for Matthews

He deserves a shot I think, he has been British and/or European champion gift a while now and is an ex-champion. His only defeat was to Kotelnik who is a good fighter.

I'm not sure if he can beat burns or Mitchell but he will run them close. He's pretty tough and quick so I don't think burns or Mitchell carry enough power to stop him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:He has a fight coming up in a couple of weeks again Derry Matthews and hopefully it should be a corker.

He travelled to France to face his mandatory last time out and put on a clinic which was fantastic for a Welsh man even to face a mandatory these days.

Cheers

Dee

It all makes sense now.. Agree with the sentiment of the article though.
Its been a long day and to be honest if I hadnt seen that highlighted bit I wouldnt have got this WUM article Laugh

Good darts Reborn that went straight over my head there until PP pointed it out OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Ha. Nice one Dee.

He may be Euro champ but that doesn't mean he should get a tilt at the highest prize in his division. Should the African/Asian/Oceanic champ automativally qualify for a title shot?

Wake up Danny Boy! Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 pm

I like Rees. He won his title against an unmotivated Mbaye at a weight he shouldn't really have been competing at given his size. As stated, his only loss came the well-respected Kotelnik, then he dropped down a size and became the Euro champ.

Awkward little so & so to fight, busy and effective. Not top drawer, granted, but pretty decent. Will have too much for Matthews I think. He's only on the fringes of a World shot as he's only rated 7 by the WBC, 4 by the WBA & 12 by the WBO. The IBF don't have him in their top 15. Might be allowed a shot as a voluntary defence but unlikely. I think he has found his level.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 am

Rees reminds me of another Welsh fighter, Robbie Regan from the 90s although he was a bantamweight.Anyone remember him?Somewhat lucky to get a title (it was the W.B.O. after all)and then quickly retired due to illness.Rees is the same level of fighter, and like Rees, Regan was a persistent guy without a particularly big punch,he just did everything pretty well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:31 am

Oh Az, like shootin fish in a barrell sometimes with you haha.

He is European Champ, well known in Britain as having held a World Title, gets plenty of coverage on Sky fight nights. Is tough but not unbeatable, a decent test for any lightweight. As pointed out above, has 2 top 10 rankings by world title authoritys.

Is ranked as the number 2 lightweight in Britain behind Burns.

But yet Az, who ranks Ring Magazines 39th P4P fighter as his number 6!! feels that he is not credible for another pop at a title.

Go back to your David Price voodoo doll and poke them needles in a little further Laugh
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 am

Matthews and Rees was starting to get interesting until the butt. That has really cabbaged Derrys nose up for good.

I pomped for Derry first time round but I think Rees will grind this one out, maybe even a late stoppage.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 am

Forget Mitchell and Murray. Rees is the one to bust up Ricky Burns Run

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 am

Steffan wrote:Forget Mitchell and Murray. Rees is the one to bust up Ricky Burns Run

I think once Rees deals with Matthews he should then go for Crolla which he has a good chance of winning then he is a shoe in for a shot a Burns.

Not sayin I think he would beat Burns but he has as good a chance as any other fighter in Britain at the moment if not more.

I think he would out muscle Mitchell and hammer Murray
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:30 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Steffan wrote:Forget Mitchell and Murray. Rees is the one to bust up Ricky Burns Run

I think once Rees deals with Matthews he should then go for Crolla which he has a good chance of winning then he is a shoe in for a shot a Burns.

Not sayin I think he would beat Burns but he has as good a chance as any other fighter in Britain at the moment if not more.

I think he would out muscle Mitchell and hammer Murray

Rees is made for Burns short one dimensional and not got the power to stop him. He's no bigger a puncher than Roman Martinez and apart from a flash knockdown Burns took his shots well. Burns would keep Rees at bay all night with his jab and break him down with his fantastic body shots. Rees would do well to win a couple of rounds imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Great points!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down