The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the real british heavyweight hope is back

5 posters

Go down

the real british heavyweight hope is back  Empty the real british heavyweight hope is back

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 06, 2013 5:33 am

Mike Perez, 19(12)-0-0 is a unbeaten heavyweight fighting out of Cork Ireland, via way of Cuba. He is a smallish fighter (6') but heavy handed and quick. He flew through opponents early in his career, mainly 1st and 2nd round KOs. He then got a break in the international HW prizefighter, and blew away Kerston Mansell, Gregory Tony and finally Tye Fields in less than 30 seconds to win the tournament. He then went AWOL and was out of action for almost 2 years, barring a 1 month period where we beat journeymen Friday Anunayana and Zack Page handily on points. His named was touted as a potential opponent for Fury and even a world title fight (i think it was a vacated title after Wlad was made champion emeritus or something like that) with Ruslan Chagaev- but neither materialized. Last night however he appeared on the Wlad under card in Germany, and appeared to have been help in the corner by Team Klitschko, so hopefully he has made a connection with them and will be fighting more regularly on future cards. He fought Travis Walker and beat him handily over 10 rounds, looking good in the process. He was stalking for the full 10 rounds, and slipping/blocking all the punches coming his way. He also looked in better shape than ever.

Now he hasn't faced the class of opponent needed to judge whether he has what it takes to topple any of the brothers yet, but i do think he has shown enough to be considered a decent prospect, and think he beats all but possibly Haye in the UK. With the right fights and building up to top level i really think this guy has what it takes to go far. I would love to see him fight Price, and think he takes him out early. Perez vs Chisora would also be a excellent scrap. My dream however would be for Perez to get a shot of the winner of Haye vs Fury.

Have you guys seen much of this guy and if so what do you think?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=438253&cat=boxer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lmaSAQ40gY (not English commentary I'm afraid).

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

the real british heavyweight hope is back  Empty Re: the real british heavyweight hope is back

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 06, 2013 5:37 am

British?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

the real british heavyweight hope is back  Empty Re: the real british heavyweight hope is back

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 06, 2013 5:38 am

british enough for me

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 am

He has literally no connection to Britain! The Klitschkos are probably more British.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 06, 2013 5:47 am

He left Cuba and based himself in Ireland, which is enough to be classed as British for me.

anyways it's his talent I'm more interested instead of where he calls home.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 am

Hes not even eligible to fight for the British title.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 am

eddyfightfan wrote:He left Cuba and based himself in Ireland, which is enough to be classed as British for me.

anyways it's his talent I'm more interested instead of where he calls home.

Does he call Britain his home then? Like you do.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 06, 2013 5:58 am

Okay, not British then but Irish, and i don't know what his personal opinion is, but seen as he is annouced to the ring fighting out of Cork, and wears the Ireland flag on his shorts and sports the Irish flag when he wins normally, i go with the theory he sees himself as Irish at least slightly.

But where ever he comes from i still think he could be the best heavy fighting near the UK (if that satisfys you?)

the real british heavyweight hope is back  Mike_perez_prizefighter

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 06, 2013 6:06 am

Just in the interests of correctness, hes not actually got any link to Britain or the UK. Hes Cuban and fights out of the Republic of Ireland where he has residency. Hes not even in the Commonwealth. The Republic of Ireland is completely seperate.

I havent really seen him since prizefighter but his career seemed to stall and I dont think Ireland is a good place to box out of. Bit of a concern he hasnt managed to put away any of his opponents since prizefighter although Page and Ahunaya are difficult men to stop. Seems to have a good skillset but needs to become more active. Its a pity he actually didnt qualify as British as he could have been included on the domestic scene. He could end up being mismanaged.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 am

Shenglong alert.

A lot of the half decent Rep of Ireland fighters go to the USA if they have any initial success. They don't tend to fight fight for the British title. Barry McGuigan was one of the exceptions hence he was known as Barry the Brit by some.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 am

Well I barely count Perez as Irish, nevermind British. I dont know why he didnt base himself in the U.S along with the other Irish-Cuban guys. Maybe they couldnt get residency there or something. I think he needs to try and switch management if he can. He is based with a small time promoter in Ireland who doesnt seem to be doing a whole lot with him and is unlikely to take him far. Hes not even a draw in Ireland.

The U.S, U.K or Germany would be better options for him in terms of getting exposure and opportunities. He was really wasted after Prizefighter.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 am

it only takes one big win to become a name in the division, if he could secure a fight with fury, price etc then he would open up doors for himself.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 am

His management havent seemed to be able to secure him much though. Or even get him out fighting regularly or building up a fanbase in his adopted Ireland.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed May 08, 2013 10:54 pm

i read the tosh about ireland being in britain and stopped reading.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 am

Irish? The guy's a Geordie!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down