The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity

5 posters

Go down

No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity Empty No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity

Post by bogbrush Fri 22 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

Until today Federer would be #1 if he won Wimbledon and Djokovic didn't make the final. Thanks to the draw it's just down to Fed winning the thing.

Go on Roger, do the impossible and give us a 31 year old #1 in the era of physical tennis!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity Empty Re: No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity

Post by Jahu Fri 22 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

Go Fed Go, return the title where it belongs, for the sake of all tennis world (apart from a total of 3 djoko fans who are left in this world).

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity Empty Re: No need to qualify Feds #1 opportunity

Post by lydian Fri 22 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

It's not a bad draw he's got for sure BB...could have been a lot worse...most of the big hitters are in Murray's quarter.
Also, the weather is cool and damp, which will keep the balls low...should suit Fed further and make the serve and slice even bigger weapons.
Maybe it will be a Federer Nadal final...and once you get that far anything could happen.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:01 pm

With a draw like Fed's, he can not only make the final but at the same time he can do quite a few remarkable things via winning:

a) Win a record 17th slam
b) Reclaim #1 spot and definitely overtake Sampras's record @ No.1
c) Tie another Sampras record with 7 Wimbledon titles
d) The first player to win 7 Wimbledon titles 9 years apart

These are just some of the records I can think of, not to mention that Fed would become a strong contender for the YE No.1 spot too.

The danger players who have posed threats to Fed over the last two years have been paired with Djokovic and Nadal, so if Fed's going to get a shot at another Wimbledon title, this year is as good as he's going to get! If he can get past Djokovic, even if he meets Nadal, he stands half a chance, better than he would at the French, that much is for sure.

A good run @ Wimbledon would set up nicely for the USO, which to me is one of his best chances this year.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:40 pm

Lol Lucius, you always get carried away

Whereas I, the emancipator, have no fear of the future...

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

I would say that Federer will not be able to find a better opportunity to win a slam than here and now. The draw is as easy as he could have wished for and Nadal hasn't got it so easy in the other half so if Federer could somehow muster a win over Djokovic then who knows?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

lydian wrote:It's not a bad draw he's got for sure BB...could have been a lot worse...most of the big hitters are in Murray's quarter.
Also, the weather is cool and damp, which will keep the balls low...should suit Fed further and make the serve and slice even bigger weapons.
Maybe it will be a Federer Nadal final...and once you get that far anything could happen.
By draw, I just meant that if Fed wins Djokovic must have failed to make the final.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

emancipator wrote:Lol Lucius, you always get carried away

Whereas I, the emancipator, have no fear of the future...

ghost

emancipator

Ah, not carried away at all Emancipator! My actual expectations for Fed don't go any further than him reaching the semis. That's how I voted in the Fed's chances thread. I was simply pointing out all the things he can achieve via winning Wimbledon. Whether he does that or not is a completely separate matter, naturally as a Fed fan, I've learnt over the few years that having a high expectation leads to greater disappointment, setting it lower actually lessens the disappointment but also makes an actual victory far sweeter when it does happen. I want him to win, but I don't expect him to.

I see him getting to the semis as a good progression and a step in the right direction so he doesn't then need to face both Djokovic and Nadal in the USO successively. However, looking at this Wimbledon draw, can't be denied he couldn't have got it better. Even you must agree he's got a great chance of getting to the semi! A bit of old Fed magic may get him to the final and then who knows. However, just to make clear, I think the two in the final will be Djokovic and Nadal. Outside chance it could be different but only an outside one.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down