The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste

+30
Gibson
Breadvan
brennomac
rodders
Pete330v2
MrsP
red_stag
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
Suspicious lurker
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Ozzy3213
perthshirepuma
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Thomond
Rory_Gallagher
WillyGilly
prop_lyd
PJHolybloke
MBTGOG
Notch
Rava
PenfroPete
Cari
Hound_of_Harrow
Kenny
Biltong
Glas a du
KiaRose
Pal Joey
34 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste  - Page 4 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste

Post by Pal Joey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello and welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The Pub has made it's way to Belfast - the rope-making and ship building capital of the world.

Now the Mouth of the Shoal awaits the safe arrival of one of it's long lost daughter's - Cariadwr heart - in her ongoing quest to be as close as possible to one of her favourite players... heart Tomás Ó Buaigh of Emyvale.... on her Birthday Hug

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of Nial O'Connor, Cari & Tommy Bowe, "Pickles" the wonder dog of '66, Wikus van de Merwe and Black Caviar above the bar.

guinness cider RedWine cuppa coffee Yahoo mug Bubbly Erm Whisky warning Dog cake zen Ale

Last Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t31098p950-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-sydney

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste

Post by WillyGilly Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

I made the mistake of being out on Friday night late and getting up for the match. I reckon we need a nephrectomy.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Béal Feirste

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

WillyGilly wrote:I made the mistake of being out on Friday night late and getting up for the match. I reckon we need a nephrectomy.

I woke up in time to watch the last 10 minutes of Aus vs Wales, pour some berocca and coffee on my hangover and settle in for the game. Very Happy

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

I was up after three hours sleep to watch the game, had a couple of beers to take the edge off it
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:33 am

Hoog wrote:I was up after three hours sleep to watch the game, had a couple of beers to take the edge off it
Didn't work tho!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

red_stag wrote:I went out on Friday night and did the dog on it. Serious nights boozing and ended up missing the Ireland v NZ game on Saturday.

I woke up at 10.30 and when I asked N. the scoreline she just smiled, told me to go back to sleep and that there were some things I didn't need to know.

Marry that woman...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm

Run ...........

cider

......... Run
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm

I wouldn't recommend rewatching it anyone, those of us who did are still trying to come to terms with it.

http://whiffofcordite.com/2012/06/25/last-tango-in-hamilton/

The above tells you everything you need to know.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

Thanks for the link Notch. Can you post it on the other thread please?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

*silenceonthematrimonialfront*
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

#maybeheshouldspeaktoNbeforehepostsaboutitontheinternet?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

#hashtagstakemequiteawhiletoread

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

#enoughwiththefeicinhashtags furious

FRO to Twitter boxing
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

#y?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

PenfroPete wrote:#enoughwiththefeicinhashtags furious

FRO to Twitter boxing

#seemslikeanunecessarilyhostileresponsetothesituation.Haveyouhadabadexperiencewithhashtagsinthepastyouwouldliketosharewithus?Weareallfriendshere.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

England got through an average qualifying group and one of the easier torunament groups. They're a better version of Greece really, decent defensively, struggle to retain possession but can score goals when they play it on the deck and don't hit dumbass passes.

I always said they would be caught out against a better side, they don't hold onto the ball for long enough, and aren't clinical enough to take their opportunities when presented to them. Rooney will probably be a scapegoat, does he deserve it? Yes and no, he has been very poor but the quality of ball he is getting is substandard. Parker is not doing what most would consider the job of a defensive midfielder. Break up the play and get moves started . Pirlo plays the defensive role that few others can, he is decent in defence but his passing is exemplary. Xabi Alonso is probably the closest to him in that regard.

In defence, I think taking Terry over Rio was a big call. I didn't agree with it and the whole could Rio handle the games was a bit of a cop out (he played 6 games in 20 odd days last year, it was a similar time period compared to the Euros anyway). Terry is not incredibly quick and he got caught napping last night when marking Ballotelli, who himself isn't fast. He recovered well at times but shouldn't have been caught out. The same could be said for Glen Johnson over the tournament.

Some of the problem is in the underage setup, it's similar in Ireland. The big, strong kids tend to get picked over the smaller skillful guys. You have argumentative parents on the sideline, demanding a lot of the kids and the coaches and the coach is almost forced to get a result, the big lad who can hoof the ball into the net from 30 yards out will get picked over the kid who can tuck it away from 12.

I think there needs to be a change in emphasis in the underage system in Ireland and the UK, I don't think you can suddenly make us into a team like Spain, but you can change things and do it quickly. A change in philosophy can also occur pretty instantly, something which will cheer up Irish rugby fans. In 2000, Germany were knocked out of the group stages of Euro 2000, their team was derided yet they managed to scrape it together to reach the final of the World Cup. Under Rudi Voller they adapted somewhat but it was under Jurgen Klinsmann where things really changed.

Germany were due to host the World Cup in 2006, Klinsmann took over after another poor campaign in the 2004 Euros. He adopted a youth movement, in Germany along with his assisstants Oliver Bierhoff and Joachim Low. They quickly changed the traditional thinking in Germany, and adopted an approach more like the Netherlands i.e. attack,attack, attack!
They built a team around several young guns, the likes of Phillipp Lahm, the attacking full back from Bayern Munich, Bastian Schiweinsteiger, the attacking midfielder/Winger now turned defensive midfielder.

Klinsmann stepped down after the World Cup but it was clear he had started something. On appointment, he consulted with the DFB (German equivalent of the FA) and while the DFB were putting more emphasis into their underage system after their disasterous Euro 2000 campaign, Klinsmann developed a collective way to raise the German wunderkinds. A lot of the free-flowing style we now associate with the Germans began udner Klinsmann. As important, however, was the Germans were now being taught how to play like this. The "Extended-Talent Promotion Programme" was opened in 2002 by the DFB.

The DFB had the co-operation of Bundesliga clubs, and in the programme's first year, over 22,000 teenagers received training from 1200 coaches in nearly 400 camps across the country. A mere 7 years later, the programme was beginning to bear fruit. In the summer of 2009, Germany captured the U-19 and U-21 European Championship titles, the latter was scooped after a 4-0 hammering of the English orchestrated by one Mesut Ozil. Germany is home to thousands of people from different ethnicities and different backgrounds. This started primarily in the 60's and 70's when people known as "guest workers" came to Germany.

While their children may not have felt "German" enough to take to the football pitches, their grandchildren certainly did. The multicultural society was embraced, and this soemwhat reflects on thie side today. The likes of Lukas Podolski, Mesut Ozil, Jerome Boateng, Sami Khedira and Miroslav Klose were born outside of Germany. In someways it shows Germany's willingness to embrace other countries and other cultures.

I would say that the current love for Germany and thier fluid style is down to one man, Klinsmann. Yet the DFB with the consent and co-operation of the clubs in the Bundesliga were willing to co-operate for a better national team. The stumbling block in England developing their youth will be the Premier League which at times shows little interest in the National team. There are certainly things for England to be positive about, but they need to finally make the push towards major youth development or they and Ireland will not compete at the top table of international football. The FA have procrastinated the buliding of a youth development centre like the French have in Clarefontaine. If they want to make serious progress, it might be time to do so.

Football fans, would you mind taking a look at that? I'm wondering if it is good enough for the V2 Journal? Sound.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

That's good, Thomond. I'd heard about the soul-searching the Germans did after 2004. I love watching them play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks, Lucky. A lot of the soul searching was down after the Euros and after Klinsmann thnings got serious. He also has one of the most insane accents ever.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

He lives in LA now, doesn't he? You can hear the influence!

I was thinking about the different footballing philosophies earlier in the tournament when Robin van Persie scored a cracking goal with his right foot. You wouldn't see a British footballer as comfortable on his 'other' foot like that, whereas that's part of youth footballing training on the continent, that and an emphasis on passing rather than, as you say, size and speed.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

#Ibelievethexpressionamongsttheyoofoftodayisitgrindsmygears.Wearenotrestrictedtothenumberof charactersonheresowhatsthefeicinpoint?Itwasfunnytobeginwithbut,likesheepjokesitdoesbegintogetononesnerves Hug

Thomond - looks very good, just run it through spell checker ( buliding, torunament ..) OK

Last edited by PenfroPete on Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

Yeah, Pete. Most do that now.

Actually, funny you mention the Dutch Lucky. Their philosophy has changed to a more German style based on physical tough play. They are still capable of playing it but it's more of a German style now but that should change if Van Marwijk goes.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

He adopted a youth movement, in Germany along with his assisstants Oliver Goebels and Joachim Himler. They quickly changed the traditional thinking in Germany, and adopted an approach called the Blitzkreig i.e. attack,attack, attack!

picard Not again!

Whistle

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Hoog wrote:I was up after three hours sleep to watch the game, had a couple of beers to take the edge off it
Didn't work tho!

I beg to differ, I was tiptop on Saturday, it was Sunday that was the problem Laugh
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

I have a request for any mods that pop in: can we bring back the 'rating' of articles? I liked that aspect of the old 606.

While we're on the subject, I liked the fact that there'd be more than one article per subject / match. Each had its own slant on things and went off on its own tangent. Do we have to merge articles?

I'm banned now, aren't I?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I have a request for any mods that pop in: can we bring back the 'rating' of articles? I liked that aspect of the old 606.

While we're on the subject, I liked the fact that there'd be more than one article per subject / match. Each had its own slant on things and went off on its own tangent. Do we have to merge articles?

I'm banned now, aren't I?

A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Burn it!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

But, how do we know he is witch ?
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

If he burns to death he isn't, to be fair. Only way to be sure.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

Fair is foul and foul is fair,
Hover through the fog like Danny Care.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
1) I have a request for any mods that pop in: can we bring back the 'rating' of articles? I liked that aspect of the old 606.

2) While we're on the subject, I liked the fact that there'd be more than one article per subject / match. Each had its own slant on things and went off on its own tangent. Do we have to merge articles?

3) I'm banned now, aren't I?

1) Not possible as far as I can tell sorry. Though I suppose you could put a "rate my article" poll up on a thread if you start one Wink

2) I generally only merge if asked. Unless it's blatently obviously the same team announcement. Or to annoy someone who's posted a WUM thread Whistle

3) Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Fair is foul and foul is fair,
Hover through the fog like Danny Care.
Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

Thanks for that, Kiwi. If you ever need me to put a hex on someone, just let me know. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:36 pm

VILLAGER #2: He looks like one.

BEDEMIR: Bring him forward.

WITCH: I'm not a witch. I'm not a witch.

BEDEMIR: But you are dressed as one.

WITCH: They dressed me up like this.

CROWD: No, we didn't... no.

WITCH: And this isn't my nose, it's a false one.

BEDEMIR: Well?

VILLAGER #1: Well, we did do the nose.

BEDEMIR: The nose?

VILLAGER #1: And the hat -- but He is a witch!

CROWD: Burn him! Witch! Witch! Burn him!

BEDEMIR: Did you dress him up like this?

CROWD: No, no... no ... yes. Yes, yes, a bit, a bit.

VILLAGER #1: He has got a wart.

BEDEMIR: What makes you think He is a witch?

VILLAGER #3: Well, He turned me into a newt.

BEDEMIR: A newt?

VILLAGER #3: I got better.

VILLAGER #2: Burn him anyway!

CROWD: Burn! Burn him!

BEDEMIR: Quiet, quiet. Quiet! There are ways of telling whether
He is a witch.

CROWD: Are there? What are they?

BEDEMIR: Tell me, what do you do with witches?

VILLAGER #2: Burn!

CROWD: Burn, burn them up!

BEDEMIR: And what do you burn apart from witches?

VILLAGER #1: More witches!

VILLAGER #2: Wood!

BEDEMIR: So, why do witches burn?

VILLAGER #3: B--... 'cause they're made of wood...?

BEDEMIR: Good!

CROWD: Oh yeah, yeah...

BEDEMIR: So, how do we tell whether He is made of wood?

VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of him.

BEDEMIR: Aah, but can you not also build bridges out of stone?

VILLAGER #2: Oh, yeah.

BEDEMIR: Does wood sink in water?

VILLAGER #1: No, no.

VILLAGER #2: It floats! It floats!

VILLAGER #1: Throw him into the pond!

CROWD: The pond!

BEDEMIR: What also floats in water?

VILLAGER #1: Bread!

VILLAGER #2: Apples!

VILLAGER #3: Very small rocks!

VILLAGER #1: Cider!

VILLAGER #2: Great gravy!

VILLAGER #1: Cherries!

VILLAGER #2: Mud!

VILLAGER #3: Churches -- churches!

VILLAGER #2: Lead -- lead!

ARTHUR: A duck.

CROWD: Oooh.

BEDEMIR: Exactly! So, logically...,

VILLAGER #1: If... He.. weighs the same as a duck, He's made of wood.

BEDEMIR: And therefore--?

VILLAGER #1: A witch!

CROWD: A witch!

BEDEMIR: We shall use my larger scales!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:54 pm

Life of Brian is one of my favourites as well.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

No no, that's from The Importance of Being Earnest.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:10 pm

Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

I just saw a disabled man carrying a large hawk through the middle of Ammanford Shocked
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

You sure it wasn't Hoog with his ferocious pigeon?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:31 pm

No, this man was physically disabled. Shocked
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Evening All coffee

I just met Jamie Roberts in my local Tescos. He's a nice boy. Don't know what he thought of me though, wandering off singing to my music carrying a basket full of cakes for work tomorrow Erm

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

So the news in Irish Rugby this week.

Saturday; Ireland finish the season with a humiliatingly comprehensive defeat in New Zealand.

Monday; Ulster begin pre-season training.

Is there something wrong here or is it just me?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

I would've thought a few of them could have done with a break Notch. Don't they get holidays? Annual leave?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:59 pm

Basically there are two seasons. The International season and the provincial players season. The guys who are with Ireland will start pre-season a month later. Meaning they will miss the start of Ulsters season.

Don't even start on the schedule for the likes of Ruan Pienaar- it's very possible he could get no off-season whatsoever. Any season. For the full duration of his Ulster contract. He's gone from the Heineken Cup Final into the June Tests. If he's lucky he'll get a few weeks break between the June tests and the Rugby Championship... then it's straight back into the Pro12.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 25 Jun 2012, 7:02 pm

Well I'll never complain about being turned down for annual leave again! It is a very tough schedule these days. So much going on all year round.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 25 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

Notch, the Championship starts on 18th August. That's an eight week break for Pienaar. Sure, he won't be available for Ulster until after the AIs, but they must have known that was a possibiliry when they signed him

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 25 Jun 2012, 7:49 pm

I'm not sure we have to release him under the regulations. I know all sides have to release players in June and November every year plus during the World Cup. For NH sides, they have to release players during the Six Nations and SH sides have to release players during the Rugby Championship. I'm just not clear if, say, Toulon would have to release Contepomi for the Rugby Championship or Melbourne Rebels would have to release Gareth Delve for the Six Nations if he was called up.

One thing is certain; these are relatively unimportant anomalies, but sooner or later rugby is going to need to look at a global calendar.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

"One thing is certain; these are relatively unimportant anomalies, but sooner or later rugby is going to need to look at a global calendar."

That would almost certainly mean the NH playing summer rugby. The French won't agree with that imo. Mind you, the way the summers have gone in the UK and Ireland in the last few years, it has been wetter than the winters.
Laugh

At least we wouldn't be freezing cold though.
Smile

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:18 pm

Rugby had a global calendar all stitched up before professionalism. thumbsup
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Money talks Glas. Would you turn the clock back and revert to amateurism?

The respective unions need the revenue from hosting touring countries to fund the game. And there is also the TV and sponsorship money. Not to mention the club owners in some countries.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

There was a game every Saturday and Wednesday in the season, and tours were hosted and conducted. The Lions toured every three years. There is too much emphasis on training and not enough on playing. Clubs had to develop players and drew them up from feeders. The AI's are a pale imitation of the old tours. The pro game could learn a lot from the old ways.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm

Ooohhh shattered this evening, nearly finished work though

Fingers crossed for a decent nights sleep tonight but I doubt it
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next