The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England EPS

+42
majesticimperialman
mowgli
fa0019
Rory_Gallagher
Poorfour
Beaker
propdavid_london
bluestonevedder
Adam
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Quarrybends
Barney McGrew did it
Effervescing Elephant
Dubbelyew L Overate
Chjw131
Alex_Germany
Killer_B_6
jeffwinger
johnpartle
Manu's Boxing Coach
hugehandoff
Ozzy3213
Triangulation
formerly known as Sam
Sgt_Pooly
DaveM
ChequeredJersey
robbo277
Zander
alcoombe
niwatts
yappysnap
Hood83
Geordie
thomh
Cumbrian
LondonTiger
HQ matt
pbuk0
timhen
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HammerofThunor
46 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

England EPS - Page 10 Empty England EPS

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, the tour is over. The EPS for the 2012/13 season will be announced in early July (I think). It's named completely afresh and can have 5 changes in Jan 13 for the 6 nations. Who would be in you 32?

Injured players can be replaced no problem.

Actual EPS

Mouritz Botha (Saracens)
Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers)
Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester)
Tom Palmer (London Wasps)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Matt Stevens (Saracens)
Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers)
Rob Webber (Bath)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Anthony Allen (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Ashton (Saracens)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)
Charlie Sharples (Gloucester)
Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Saxons

Nathan Catt (Bath)
Calum Clark (Northampton Saints)
Louis Deacon (Leicester Tigers)
Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints)
Carl Fearns (Bath)
James Gaskell (Sale Sharks)
Jamie Gibson (London Irish)
Joe Gray (Harlequins)
James Haskell (London Wasps)
Graham Kitchener (Leicester Tigers)
Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
Matt Mullan (Worcester Warriors)
David Paice (London Irish)
George Robson (Harlequins)
Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
David Wilson (Bath)
Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Nick Abendanon (Bath)
Miles Benjamin (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Biggs (Bath)
Freddie Burns (Gloucester)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
George Lowe (Harlequins)
Jonny May (Gloucester)
Rob Miller (Sale Sharks)
Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
David Strettle (Saracens)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester)
Christian Wade (London Wasps)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens).

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

England EPS - Page 10 Empty Re: England EPS

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:19 pm

We are blessed with some quality 13s coming through (Tuilagi, Lowe, Joseph, Trinder) at the moment...but lets not try to shoehorn all of them into the side....

+1 all the way on that Yappy.

I have a fear we'll see something like this before to long:

11.Lowe
12.Manu
13.Jospeh
14.Trinder
15.May

He was not making as much ground as Manu in that game.

Dave, he took a couple of very nice crash balls off of Care on the gain line and made half decent yardage. Which is fine, tie in the 10 and 12 and get us some quick ball to give Manu against a hastely re-organised defence. Manu is a 13, he's got pace, a step, he can hit decent lines and he's built like a tank. His passing needs tweaking but he has got a suprisingly good little grubber which he rarely uses (maybe a confidence thing).

I don't like the Manu/Joseph partnership. Joseph looked off the pace in his two starts despite his moment of explosiveness off the bench in the first test. There's no compelling arguement to start him in my book, use him from the bench, yeah that's good but start? No.

10.Flood
12.Barritt
13.Manu

Please, we've not seen that unit play together yet.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Formerly known as Sam you sly dog!

Like most of us you realise that Barrit is not the 12 for us going on from now until 2015 RWC and beyond. You know that and you want one of your young Leicester thrusters Allen or 36 to go on and have a wonderfull career with England at 12. You want an all Leicester midfield - Flood, Allen/36, Tuilagi. Also you will have a problem at Leicester if Tuilagi is turned into a 12. You already have two of them and would prefer to play him at 13. This is your agenda. Be honest now!

You don’t therefore want to see 12 Tuilagi 13 Joseph partnership work. Even if it's the best thing for England. It just would not suit Leicester's interests. I dare you to deny it.

You want to strangle the Tuilagi/Joseph partnership at birth. You all conveniently forget how good Nonu/ Smith was for NZ or that Nonu was one dimensional when he started.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Triangulation wrote:Formerly known as Sam you sly dog!

Like most of us you realise that Barrit is not the 12 for us going on from now until 2015 RWC and beyond. You know that and you want one of your young Leicester thrusters Allen or 36 to go on and have a wonderfull career with England at 12. You want an all Leicester midfield - Flood, Allen/36, Tuilagi. Also you will have a problem at Leicester if Tuilagi is turned into a 12. You already have two of them and would prefer to play him at 13. This is your agenda. Be honest now!

You don’t therefore want to see 12 Tuilagi 13 Joseph partnership work. Even if it's the best thing for England. It just would not suit Leicester's interests. I dare you to deny it.

You want to strangle the Tuilagi/Joseph partnership at birth. You all conveniently forget how good Nonu/ Smith was for NZ or that Nonu was one dimensional when he started.

I agree we'd love 36 to be part of a Leicester midfield....

Im a bit confused by the rest. How is it in leicesters interest to be missing most of their first team for a 1/3 of the season plus injuries? England ruin Tigers players. Its far more in our interests to see the second rate players of other clubs given a go through sympathy.

And as for Manu/Joseph, it doesnt take a genius to see that Tuilagi isnt suited to playing 12.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Perhaps Cockers should've thought about playing him there a bit more often then!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:25 pm

by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Today at 4:11 pm

.Triangulation wrote:
Formerly known as Sam you sly dog!

I agree we'd love 36 to be part of a Leicester midfield....

Im a bit confused by the rest. How is it in leicesters interest to be missing most of their first team for a 1/3 of the season plus injuries? England ruin Tigers players. Its far more in our interests to see the second rate players of other clubs given a go through sympathy.

And as for Manu/Joseph, it doesnt take a genius to see that Tuilagi isnt suited to playing 12. .

You get £ from the RFU you greedy so and so. Plus its only during international windows and youll have plenty of youngsters to fill in. Nonu wasnt the finished product at 12 either to begin with. A valid comparison IMO. 12 is a tricky position but Tuilagi is more than capable of being developed into a brilliant player in that position.

Now then how do England ruin your players?

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm

You all conveniently forget how good Nonu/ Smith was for NZ or that Nonu was one dimensional when he started.

Yes, but Conrad Smith was still Conrad Smith and Joseph is NOT Conrad Smith! Whether Barritt is the 12 in 2015 is irrelevent we need to start winning and being good now. Get a winning team going and then start to introduce younger players to it. Don't nearly get a winning game doing then immeadiately chop out the defensive strut in the backline so they fall down like a house of cards!

You get £ from the RFU you greedy so and so.

Yeah but we'd get even more money if we started winning more silverware which would be easier if England could not break our best players quite so often. I note another operation on Ben Youngs this summer, there was one last summer as well thanks to England.

Also, since when did Tigers need more money? They are one of few clubs that make a profit (admittedly a small one) an annual profit which is only likely to grow once they build an lease the multi-storey carpark behind the Crumbie stand (I've heard rumoured figures of £1m a year for a lease with ECP). That's before the adjourning hotel and flats get leased out as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:44 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
You all conveniently forget how good Nonu/ Smith was for NZ or that Nonu was one dimensional when he started.

Yes, but Conrad Smith was still Conrad Smith and Joseph is NOT Conrad Smith! Whether Barritt is the 12 in 2015 is irrelevent we need to start winning and being good now. Get a winning team going and then start to introduce younger players to it. Don't nearly get a winning game doing then immeadiately chop out the defensive strut in the backline so they fall down like a house of cards!

You get £ from the RFU you greedy so and so.

Yeah but we'd get even more money if we started winning more silverware which would be easier if England could not break our best players quite so often. I note another operation on Ben Youngs this summer, there was one last summer as well thanks to England.

Also, since when did Tigers need more money? They are one of few clubs that make a profit (admittedly a small one) an annual profit which is only likely to grow once they build an lease the multi-storey carpark behind the Crumbie stand (I've heard rumoured figures of £1m a year for a lease with ECP). That's before the adjourning hotel and flats get leased out as well.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:45 pm

leicesterssssss

Excellent. You don’t deny it then! I have been slow on the uptake but I see it all so clearly now. You want barrit there for a little while as our 3,000th stop gap inside centre since Greenwood, then when he is shown up once and for all (maybe mid RWC15?) by which time you have extracted your £'s worth out of allen/36 you'll let England have them past their best?

Have England been negligent with Youngs in SA? What is this most recent operation?

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Also, since when did Tigers need more money?

Shush dont tell the Celts or they will want even more of our HC money

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Have England been negligent with Youngs in SA? What is this most recent operation?

On his shoulder, he won't be back until October, just about in time to go straight into the AI squad so Tigers won't see him until December. Last summer it was knee surgery and then playing him whilst he was not fully fit.

We aren't the only AP team PSW, the other guys need cash. Plus it only seems fair we can call on a bit more of the cash we generate when our clubs need it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Ah yes the shoulder.

Now then forget about the discussion above and please help me out with this.....

Just throwing this question out there now to the 606 brainstrust......i don’t know the answer….Tzun Tzu probably does…….it is a tactical question I suppose……..

IF for argument's sake England's greatest attacking threat is posed by players at 8 ( a fit Morgan), 9 (Youngs and Care), the Flood/Ashton inside ball routine when functioning…..and as these threats are all concentrated in one area of the pitch/defensive line….does it make :

a) more sense to run Tuilagi hard in close to that area i.e base scrum/ruck to stress the defenders and the defensive system in that area to breaking point??; OR

b) more sense to have Tuilagi running hard in the 13 channel providing a different threat in a different area??

In a nuthsell - do you attack where your strength is greatest OR do you spread your attacking resources to provide threats in many places??

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Also, since when did Tigers need more money?

Pfff...the WRU are minted (apparently) so they should be the ones divying up the cash

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Triangulation wrote:Ah yes the shoulder.

Now then forget about the discussion above and please help me out with this.....

Just throwing this question out there now to the 606 brainstrust......i don’t know the answer….Tzun Tzu probably does…….it is a tactical question I suppose……..

IF for argument's sake England's greatest attacking threat is posed by players at 8 ( a fit Morgan), 9 (Youngs and Care), the Flood/Ashton inside ball routine when functioning…..and as these threats are all concentrated in one area of the pitch/defensive line….does it make :

a) more sense to run Tuilagi hard in close to that area i.e base scrum/ruck to stress the defenders and the defensive system in that area to breaking point??; OR

b) more sense to have Tuilagi running hard in the 13 channel providing a different threat in a different area??

In a nuthsell - do you attack where your strength is greatest OR do you spread your attacking resources to provide threats in many places??

Or do you stop thinking of Tuilagi as a player who is only capable of running into the nearest defender then getting sat on by two others as if Andy Robinson is head coach still.
Tuilagi is far better at exploiting his power usefully in the wide than in the tight areas. If the pan is to bulldoze up the middle why not pick Morgan at 8 and Waldrom at 12, and have Banahan on the bench as well ( yep England managed to turn him from a try scoring winger into and ineffective crash ball 12). Noon and Tindall havent retired yet either have they?

In the plans defence tough it probably didnt help trying it out against SA who have an annoyingly big sand fast back row

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

Manu can do more damage with a bit of space to attack then he can if he's just charging into the defence to reset the attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RGt8NQzLJ4

Quick case in point there. Goes round Farrell, hands off Joubert then goes over Goode. As seen against France in the 6N he has the pace to finish tries off given the opportunity.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Manu can do more damage with a bit of space to attack then he can if he's just charging into the defence to reset the attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RGt8NQzLJ4

Quick case in point there. Goes round Farrell, hands off Joubert then goes over Goode. As seen against France in the 6N he has the pace to finish tries off given the opportunity.

Thank you Formerly known as Sam.

Seabiscuit!!

I sense a great deal of frustration. Seem to be directing a bit of it my way without adressing the question from a tactical as opposed to emotional standpoint.

Lookey lads my question on tactics above does fully take account of Manu Tuilagi's full range of talents. I know perfectly well what he is capable of.

I know that he has excellent feet, a genuine outside break a massive hand off.

I know that he can pick excelllent lines through heavy traffic too (e.g his try vs Wales off a Wilko pass)

Of those talents i suppose that the only one that cannot really be used at close quarters in the 10/12 channel is the outside break and that could be reason enough to keep him at 13.

I am not advocating that he be used as a crash ball merchant at all. That would be a HORRIBLE waste of his many gifts as a player.

Neither am i advocating the he must play 12.

Important to note at this juncture that i do not think that all 12s should be used as crash ball merchants at all whether they're big or not. I played 12 myself and was nothing like a cbm!

I am simply asking the question.

As i said, i dont know the answer may be Sun Tsu does or maybe PSW does.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 am

p.s to further clarify - you see heavy defensive traffic in the 9-12 channel.

I dont necessarily agree with that as a given. But i dont know.

I am asking whether there are not in fact opportunities there for Tuilagi to attack. Whether or not there is in fact space.

Space after the defenders there are stressed to breaking point by the combination of a fit morgan, a firing youngs, the flood/ashton combination and in the scenario (a) - tuilagi.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Cat got your tongues.

Disappointing.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Triangulation wrote:p.s to further clarify - you see heavy defensive traffic in the 9-12 channel.

I dont necessarily agree with that as a given. But i dont know.

I am asking whether there are not in fact opportunities there for Tuilagi to attack. Whether or not there is in fact space.

Space after the defenders there are stressed to breaking point by the combination of a fit morgan, a firing youngs, the flood/ashton combination and in the scenario (a) - tuilagi.

Why not just use Barrit there to do that and let Tuilagi do what hes better at, at 13? Thats the point everyone esle is making.
Tuilagi clealry isnt strecthing the defense to breaking point otherwise England would be ...breaking it. Under Brian Smith they did briefly get this kind of thing working granted, but that still doesnt mean that Tuilagi is the right man for the direct running 12 role or best used there. That was done with Hape (yes Hape!) who had much better ball handling skills than Tuilagi and could time a pass much better.

the crash ball 12 theory is pretty well known ans has been commonplace in Englands thinking for years. They have very rarely got it to work well for them, and often overelied on it to create space outside...and on the odd occasions they managed it too often found the guys outside utterly incapable of exploiting it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Why not just use Barrit there to do that and let Tuilagi do what hes better at, at 13?
1. Barrit is not really cutting the mustard as a running threat. He is not going to deliver on the plan : He doesnt look like breaking tackles, cutting lines through traffic and importantly he does not therefore interest inside defenders. Neither will farrell at 12. SO those defenders drift on to and gang tackle tuilagi; and

2. Is it really established conclusively that Tuilagi is so much better at 13 than he might be in the plan (a) above?? I dont see how it can be not least because all the pieces of it are not functioning as well as they might yet e,g morgan needs to be fitter, youngs needs to get fit again, ashton flood need to reconnect and tuilagi needs time to gel in with a coordinated plan to destroy that part of the defensive line. incidentally if you do get through there it is the shortest route to the try line with the least (almost non existent cover defence)

the crash ball 12 theory is pretty well known ans has been commonplace in Englands thinking for years. They have very rarely got it to work well for them, and often overelied on it to create space outside...and on the odd occasions they managed it too often found the guys outside utterly incapable of exploiting it..

This is irrelevant.

Plan (a) above has nothing to do with crash ball. it relies on multiple threat and pace putting defenders into a confused mess. a mess tuilagi could tip toe through as easily or more easily than he could try to bulldoze through.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm

1. Barrit is not really cutting the mustard as a running threat. He is not going to deliver on the plan : He doesnt look like breaking tackles, cutting lines through traffic and importantly he does not therefore interest inside defenders. Neither will farrell at 12. SO those defenders drift on to and gang tackle tuilagi; and

2. Is it really established conclusively that Tuilagi is so much better at 13 than he might be in the plan (a) above?? I dont see how it can be not least because all the pieces of it are not functioning as well as they might yet e,g morgan needs to be fitter, youngs needs to get fit again, ashton flood need to reconnect and tuilagi needs time to gel in with a coordinated plan to destroy that part of the defensive line. incidentally if you do get through there it is the shortest route to the try line with the least (almost non existent cover defence)

So the Manu theory at 12 cannot be written off because he's not had a fit again Morgan to help him in that role. Barritt, however, can be written off completely despite never playing a game with Flood or with a fit Morgan and very little time with Youngs. Headscratch

If we had an amazing 13 option that was hammering on the door then maybe I'd agree but in his two starts Joseph looked limp and Lowe is now injured again (after showing up well on the wing). Why move our best 13 to 12 when there is no better option or in fact any comparible option to step into the 13 shirt. Why not let Manu stay at 13 where he has proved destructive and experiment with actual 12s if Barritt is not up to it, there is a selection in Allen, JTH, Twelvetrees, Mills, Hill, Waldouck, Daley and Burrell.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:18 am

So the Manu theory at 12 cannot be written off because he's not had a fit again Morgan to help him in that role. Barritt, however, can be written off completely despite never playing a game with Flood or with a fit Morgan and very little time with Youngs. Headscratch

If we had an amazing 13 option that was hammering on the door then maybe I'd agree but in his two starts Joseph looked limp and Lowe is now injured again (after showing up well on the wing). Why move our best 13 to 12 when there is no better option or in fact any comparible option to step into the 13 shirt. Why not let Manu stay at 13 where he has proved destructive and experiment with actual 12s if Barritt is not up to it, there is a selection in Allen, JTH, Twelvetrees, Mills, Hill, Waldouck, Daley and Burrell.

Formerly,

On balance, if i was the head coach i'd go for Flood, Barrit (keeping the jumper warm until someone emerges to take it off him), Tuilagi. I'd also be keeping Joseph involved.

I do continue to play devil's advocate on this though.

Our midfield is in no way satisfactory.

I dont think Barrit is the long term answer though he may now have to do for the AIs.

We might be able to bring in someone else at 12 in the 6N?

I can say this about Barrit because i look at him as a player and see that he does not offer a running threat. He does not offer much of a passing game either. Simple really. If you do neither of those things at 12 you can have Carlos Spencer in his prime at 10 and it will make sod all difference. The 13 whether is is Tuilagi or not is going to get gang tackled.

Tuilagi on the other hand is the real deal were all agreed on that. He can already play 13 well could probably play wing well and i think could make a 12 in time also.

Selection is not as difficult as everyone on here seems to think it is.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am

p.s you are harsh on Joseph who i think has all the skills to make it at international level.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:28 am

Triangulation Joseph has been given opportunities. Manu has even been shunted to 12 to accomodate him. This is something I don't agree with at all.

I find it amusing you write off Brad Barritt so simply yet Joseph is free from criticism. Barritt is 25, hardly an OAP. Look at the end of 2009/10 season when Saracens adopted a more attacking game - they were scoring tries for fun.

Barritt plays in a team which focusses on a defensive kicking game, he is one of the best organisers around.

I absolutely agree with Sam. M.Tuilagi is our best 13. Leave him there!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

beshocked wrote:Triangulation Joseph has been given opportunities. Manu has even been shunted to 12 to accomodate him. This is something I don't agree with at all.

I find it amusing you write off Brad Barritt so simply yet Joseph is free from criticism. Barritt is 25, hardly an OAP. Look at the end of 2009/10 season when Saracens adopted a more attacking game - they were scoring tries for fun.

Barritt plays in a team which focusses on a defensive kicking game, he is one of the best organisers around.

I absolutely agree with Sam. M.Tuilagi is our best 13. Leave him there!

Again it is not that difficult. If you look at a player they either have the raw materials or they do not.

Or do you think you can coach Barrit into offering a running threat and/or a passing game?

Joseph already has both.

Blind Freddy can see that.

p.s As i said above i would probably on balance leave Tuilagi at 13 on the gamble that 36 or Allen stake a serious claim for 12 in the next season. If they fail and were stuck with barrit then i despair.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 am

Raw materials? Depends what you look for in a player. Do you look for defensive and organisational abilities.

If it was just about being big and fast why not pick Banahan at 12?

Joseph is a 13, Barritt is a 12.

Barritt is a much better defender and organiser.

M.Tuilagi for all his pace,power and skill is not an organiser.

Joseph is not an organiser and is not as good as M.Tuilagi.

Centre partnerships is all about balance.

Look at NZ - 12. Nonu is the power and hard hitter, C.Smith is the guile and organiser.

It's because you don't appreciate what Barritt does. When he's at 12 it's an awful lot harder for the opposition to get through. Generally when he plays his side wins.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am

+1 on that Beshocked. Underestimating what Barritt brings to the table is harsh on the guy, he is no maveric in attack but it was pretty clear that the defence is better when he's in the midfield. I'd want to see him have a couple of games with Flood at 10 before anything is decided. Joseph to the bench to cover wing and centre.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:23 pm

beshocked wrote:Raw materials? Depends what you look for in a player. Do you look for defensive and organisational abilities.

If it was just about being big and fast why not pick Banahan at 12?

Joseph is a 13, Barritt is a 12.

Barritt is a much better defender and organiser.

M.Tuilagi for all his pace,power and skill is not an organiser.

Joseph is not an organiser and is not as good as M.Tuilagi.

Centre partnerships is all about balance.

Look at NZ - 12. Nonu is the power and hard hitter, C.Smith is the guile and organiser.

It's because you don't appreciate what Barritt does. When he's at 12 it's an awful lot harder for the opposition to get through. Generally when he plays his side wins.

Call me greedy but i want all of those things. I think a 12 does need to lead a defensive line. I think most 12s who play regularly in that position can do that. I could when i played 12. I think that is something that can be more easily coached at this level than speed and passing. 25 may be young but not in terms of running and passing ability it isnt.

The banahan example is over the top. The guy does not pass well, and cannot even run over shane williams so i would not want him playing 12. Additionally i dont think he possesses much of a rugby brain.

13 is a very difficult defensive position to play because you often have 3 guys running at you and you have to make very important very quick decisions under pressure.

I agree you need balance in a centre partnership.

I do not agree that Barrit Tuilagi is the right balance.

I expect all 12s to be good in defence but i think we need to demand more than that.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm

It is not all about athletic ability and nothing else.

If i was arguing for Barrit i might cite the example of Will Greenwood. The last 12 we had of any note!

By his own admission he had "not made an outside break since U12s!" and yet he was a great 12 for England for many years.

He was however an exceptional attacking and defensive player. He had that priceless quality of vision and being able to read a game, to be in the right place at the right time. His try scoring record being testament to that.

He also had terrific hands.

Barrit also without the outside break is just not in his league.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Oh so now you're comparing Barritt to Greenwood....Sigh...

It's like saying Robinson was a better winger than Banahan.

Richard Hill a better backrow than Tom Johnson...

Stating the bleeding obvious!

Do you think Twelvetrees and others are as good as Greenwood?

If only Greenwood was 10 years younger.....

You have to pick the best we have. Harking back to the good ol' days of 2003 is not going to help anyone.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 pm

beshocked wrote:Oh so now you're comparing Barritt to Greenwood....Sigh...

It's like saying Robinson was a better winger than Banahan.

Richard Hill a better backrow than Tom Johnson...

Stating the bleeding obvious!

Do you think Twelvetrees and others are as good as Greenwood?

If only Greenwood was 10 years younger.....

You have to pick the best we have. Harking back to the good ol' days of 2003 is not going to help anyone.

Only to illustrate a point. The point being that i understand perfectly well that it aint solely about athletic ability.

I don't say that we cant have a 12 unless he's as good as Greenwood. We might be waiting a while if that were the case. When you read the above taken together with my other comments - is that really what you thought i was saying or are you deliberately obfuscating?

I do think that 36 has the potential to be a very very good 12 for us for quite a few years though since you ask.

Your loyalty to a team member is admirable but Barrit is a stop gap. No more than that.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm

...and yes i would love to be proved wrong!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes of course it has to be just because he plays for my team sigh.....

Stevens is not good enough, neither is Botha or Strettle.

Botha was picked because none of the other contenders have done any better.

Joseph isn't in the same league as Greenwood either.

Everyone goes on about Twelvetrees but until he lives up to the hype and expectation he's just another bloke behind Barritt,Allen,JTH etc.

If Twelvetrees was as good as made out he would have supplanted Allen at 12 for Tigers and would have been more consistent.

There you go writing off Barritt. Barritt has achieved an awful lot more than Billy so far yet Billy's supposedly the saviour at 12.

Barritt's the better player at the moment.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:37 pm

A lot of this debate seems to presuppose that players can't learn, which is patently false.

Greenwood was told as a junior that he was a carthorse, and the reason he mover from Leicester to Quins was that he wasn't playing well and needed a fresh start (he said on why he stuck with Quins through ND1 when it would have been easier to retire that "they showed faith in me when I was cr*p, so it only seems fair that I should return the favour").

Finding the right 9-10-12-13 axis, especially when starting over, takes time to find the right chemistry and understanding, and for players to grow into the roles expected of them. Lancaster's England have had 8 matches, with two different backs coaches and I don't think they've had the same midfield for more than two games in a row.

There is a decent amount of IC talent around in Barritt, Allen, 36, JTH, arguably Tuilagi. None of them looks the finished article at International level yet, but none of them have had many games there at International level. There is definitely a period of adaptation to playing at that level; the amount of space and time on the ball is much more limited than at club level, and players need to learn more precision and faster decision making.

My guess would be that a midfield will probably emerge over next summer. Assuming that some of those players make the Lions squad, and the remainder have a tough tour (have any fixtures been announced?), several of them will get enough game time for it to be clear who is making the step up and who isn't.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:43 pm

beshocked wrote:Yes of course it has to be just because he plays for my team sigh.....

Stevens is not good enough, neither is Botha or Strettle.

Botha was picked because none of the other contenders have done any better.

Joseph isn't in the same league as Greenwood either.

Everyone goes on about Twelvetrees but until he lives up to the hype and expectation he's just another bloke behind Barritt,Allen,JTH etc.

If Twelvetrees was as good as made out he would have supplanted Allen at 12 for Tigers and would have been more consistent.

There you go writing off Barritt. Barritt has achieved an awful lot more than Billy so far yet Billy's supposedly the saviour at 12.

Barritt's the better player at the moment.
beshocked, I'm in agreement with you on Twelvetrees - so far he's shown some potential, but hasn't done enough to make me think he's the messiah. He needs to secure the 12 shirt at Glaws (not a certainty imo) just for starters

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Well i dont think anyone is calling 36 the messiah but it makes perfect sense that there is a lot of chat on the airwaves about him and Allen.

Some things are non negotiable for a 12 i think. Some things can be taught pourfour.....

others cannot.

I agree that for now barrit stays.

Let's wait and see wait and see.

The difficult bit is that midfield partnerships DO take time to gel (easier obviously to just pick one from a club and slot it in like a pre fab house) this is ok provided that the time you give for the gelling is given to the right players!

If you waste 8 tests on a player who is never going to cut the mustard, well you've wasted 8 tests.

That is all.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Poorfour I agree with that.

Just look at Mike Brown at full back - completely written off as too slow etc but a great season at Quins has catapulted him into England contention.

Exactly aslongasbut100ofus. Twelvetrees may well become a legend at 12 for England but let's not get carried away.

As you say 1st step for him - nail down 12 spot at Gloucester.

2nd step - put in consistent good performances.

3rd step - get into the England 22 then go from there.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

beshocked wrote:Poorfour I agree with that.

Just look at Mike Brown at full back - completely written off as too slow etc but a great season at Quins has catapulted him into England contention.

Exactly aslongasbut100ofus. Twelvetrees may well become a legend at 12 for England but let's not get carried away.

As you say 1st step for him - nail down 12 spot at Gloucester.

2nd step - put in consistent good performances.

3rd step - get into the England 22 then go from there.

...and you accused me of stating the bleedin' obvious (while spectacularly missing the point)....

rich!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10