The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok series review.

+2
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

Springbok series review. Empty Springbok series review.

Post by Biltong Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

Expectations were high that the new Messiah of Springbok rugby Heyneke Meyer and his team would herald a new dawn of Springbok rugby dominance wipe out the disappointment of the last two years.

Regardless of the fact that Meyer had very little time to prepare for the first test, a loss would simply not be tolerated in the Republic. Expectations were high and the team had to deliver.

The first test started very slow and there were little fireworks until the 47th minute when the South Africans in a burst of physicality and pace ran in two tries to lead the English by 10 points, England however were allowed to come back into the match and a late try gave the match a respectable score with South Africa winning 22 - 17.

Very few pundits would have expected the rip roaring start the Springboks made in the second test to lead the match by 3 tries within 25 minutes, but once again the English came back with a vengeance and only a late try by JP Pietersen put the result beyond doubt.

After glimpses of forceful rugby, utilizing forward and backs in unison there was much expectation that the Springboks would close out the series with a whitewash, but due to injuries to Willem Alberts and Patrick Lambie, with Coenie Oosthuizen already sent home and Frans Steyn off to get married, the performance of the Springboks could not have been more disappointing, however it would be unfair to ignore the role England played in the last test.

They came with more passion, more numbers and more pace at a South African team that simply looked lethargic at best, and many are of the opinion this is one that England should have won.

So the series ended with South Africa winning 2-0, but in all honesty it is Lancaster who would have had more questions answered than Heyneke Meyer.

Players with enhanced reputations.

Willem Alberts – You only need to look at the third test to realize he was the catalyst of the go forward ball, the leading player when it came to intensity and execution.

Article continues here: http://www.v2journal.com/south-africas-june-tests-review.html
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springbok series review. Empty Re: Springbok series review.

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

I'm rapidly becoming a fan of Alberts, I can see him causing us a host of problems in the 4N
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:42 pm

Thanks for publishing the article kiwi.

Yes it is amazing to think Plumtree had a problem eith him earlier in the season and when he came into the Bok side he did so well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

The critical point for me though was that for that 20 min burst at the start of the 2nd test...they played at a level that even the Kiwis would struggle to cope with.

If they can stretch to a full game....wow....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:55 am

Omg, Morne only struck 12 of 22! If he's not doing that right, he's good for nowt. Never really liked his style but certainly saw his value. He's a bit of a handbrake. Noticed the crowd booing him on that missed DG attempt, seems you guys are fed up with him overall.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:28 am

With short preperation time and missing players 2-1-0 must be considered acceptable .Don`t think much can be deduced about any of the 4Ns sides till we see them all at full strength.Home wins are the norm in this comp[3Ns] its the away legs that will decide it.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:16 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:The critical point for me though was that for that 20 min burst at the start of the 2nd test...they played at a level that even the Kiwis would struggle to cope with.

Was it better than our start of the 3rd test?..I dont reckon it was to be honest...and we...didnt... stop... there...we ..." stretch to a full game....wow"

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:38 am

Taylorman wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:The critical point for me though was that for that 20 min burst at the start of the 2nd test...they played at a level that even the Kiwis would struggle to cope with.

Was it better than our start of the 3rd test?..I dont reckon it was to be honest...and we...didnt... stop... there...we ..." stretch to a full game....wow"

Relax, he was just being kind to us. From superrugby form, I thought we would be able to take you on, but I don't no now.

And Biltong, Wynand not up to standard? I think you are being a bit harsh. He was the probably the best player on the pitch Saturday - I would have thought he would be in the enhanced group. Still not my first or second choice though.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:27 am

Yeah i know it was a slow afternoon and i jumped online for a few minutes of silly comments.
Shaping up for a good 4N alright.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:36 am

FerN wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Relax, he was just being kind to us. From superrugby form, I thought we would be able to take you on, but I don't no now.

And Biltong, Wynand not up to standard? I think you are being a bit harsh. He was the probably the best player on the pitch Saturday - I would have thought he would be in the enhanced group. Still not my first or second choice though.
Fern compare Wynand to Frans, he pales in comparison.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:38 am

Taylorman wrote:

Taylroman, we didn't pull it through for 80 minutes, which wasnot a good sign, however the promise that showed, well...

We'll just have to wait and see, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:11 am

Yep. Im just rapped we've been able get so many newbies and fringies up and running. I hadnt expected that much and I was one for getting them all out there.

Back to sxv this week. Its odd because Ive forgotten where its all at now. I know its crucial match time for some this week.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:45 am

When you hear tho old physicality bit and injuries in warm ups its as well you have fringe players.AllBlack casualties at least for a couple of weeks Read,Carter,Dagg,Crudon is match to match etc.SBW according to the press is a gone burger [no change there]pointless building around him then.McAlister all over again.Boks have no shortage of talent which ever way they play and there has been plenty of tries this year to date.Fix your leaky defence and iffy Goal kicking !!!! and your there.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:35 am

Taylorman wrote:Yep. Im just rapped we've been able get so many newbies and fringies up and running. I hadnt expected that much and I was one for getting them all out there.

Back to sxv this week. Its odd because Ive forgotten where its all at now. I know its crucial match time for some this week.

Chiefs vs Crusaders looks like a biggie.

Though if there's no Read or Carter ... Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down