The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make Mine A Double

5 posters

Go down

Make Mine A Double Empty Make Mine A Double

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

I'll be the first to admit. I love playing doubles, but love watching singles. Now Wimbledon has highlighted a few things for me with what doubles offers players either coming to the ends of their careers or just not enjoying the singles form that saw them win Slams or win various other titles completely ellude them.

See I play doubles all summer and even in the winter months with an internal club league. I love it. I was gutted to lose my playing partner last year due to retirement through injury, but having found a new one it gave me confidence of knowing I wouldn't have to endure the tortures of singles play! You don't feel so alone and plus you land more shots in rather than out Ok!

However when it comes to watching doubles it is quite painful to watch. Little bursts of energy that normally end with 3 people standing still when a winner is hit. Rallies are not the baseline slug you get used to in singles play.

I think a lot should be said for it. Navratilova, McEnroe, Bjorkman all obvious examples of players who found a second lease of life on the tennis circuit. Yes many single players will play their matches and tournaments over the years and either succeed and fade away or just barely hang around long enough to enjoy the higher echelons of the tour and tend fade into Seniors obscurity.

I look at players like Roddick, Safin, Ljubicic, Gonzalez who of lately retired quite early and experienced dramatic losses of form. Maybe just maybe if they had time to re-consider they may have been tempted by the life of doubles. That might bring them success that keeps the hunger and desire to play on and enjoy the game.

Back to top Go down

Make Mine A Double Empty Re: Make Mine A Double

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:11 pm

No time to comment - I'm off for a doubles match at the new indoor courts at Edgbaston Priory. I'm surprised they let riff-raff like me in, tbh.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

Laugh

Has it got a re-tractable roof Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:44 pm

Well LK I feel the opposite, I love singles play and love to watch singles. I am greedy out on the court i want to hit every ball. And I like the fact that you have to rely only on your own focus, ability, and wits. But doubles is great as it allows players once they age to have an avenue to still play and compete. It is one of things that allows people into the 70s to play. At my club we recently hosted the 65 and 70 USTA championship. These guys can STILL PLAY! I mean to see 65 and 70 year olds still being able to play a physical sport, and mainly these guys all play doubles. So it wonderful in that players can continue to have an active participatory relationship with the sport till very late in life.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

Believe it or not socal some of the players at my club are in their 60's and they can still hit a meaty FH!!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:59 pm

Yes Lk, it is timing after all not muscles. I still want to learn how to hit a proper old man drop shot. Have to work on my old man one two punch for my future career as an aged club hacker. The famous old man one two punch of drop shot and followed by the lob. Got to love hitting a winner and not getting the ball over 25 miles an hour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:09 pm

Many years ago at my old club, dear old Mrs. Mac played mixed doubles well into her 80s. Not so quick round the court, but could hit some good shots when the ball came to her.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

I'm sorry but club mixed is one of the great evils of this World. Not the matches where you get to chat up some really good looking girl in a sexy kit, but the one where you have to play alongside the club matrons who put anything hit over 30mph into the stratosphere.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

True BB. You feel guilty when you play any shot to the lady.
On the other hand I played mixed a few weeks ago against the number 4 Under 12 girl in the country, and that was a different matter altogether. And the other rubber was against a 21 year girl who'd played for the Bulgarian national team. Give me a chance!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

Playing with 21 year old Eastern European starlets?

I can't fully explain how high you are in my esteem right now.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm

You should have seen my forehand down her line!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:25 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:You should have seen my forehand down her line!
Is that what they're calling it now?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:29 pm

some players are too embarrassed to drop down into doubles.

now i know he's not had success partnering his more talented brother in doubles but its time Murray got real and left singles for the real men.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:55 am

Get Dolgo to go to doubles. He is useless on a singles court.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:some players are too embarrassed to drop down into doubles.

now i know he's not had success partnering his more talented brother in doubles but its time Murray got real and left singles for the real men.

Won't the singles tournaments be a bit short with only three participants? Who has to play twice? or would it be a round robin type thing? It's one way round the rain delays I suppose Rolling Eyes

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down