The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

+21
nganboy
eirebilly
ryan86
Hibbz
owen10ozzy
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Crimey
alfie
ian_jamsie
gboycottnut
EnglishReign
dyrewolfe
John Cregan
Thomond
mystiroakey
djlovesyou
teassoc
Jennifer1984
Shelsey93
Dave.
Duty281
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 3 Empty The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18787235

Yes we can! 14 medals in Cycling, 14 medals in Athletics, 10 medals in Swimming, 8 medals in Boxing, 7 medals in Rowing, 7 medals in Sailing are the main ones. London 2012, Jubilee Year, time for team GB to prove we're the greatest sporting nation on God's Green Earth. Here is the prediction breakdown compared to the UK Sport target:

ARCHERY: two medals (two bronze - UK Sport target: 0-1 medals)

ATHLETICS: 14 medals (three gold, two silver, nine bronze - UK Sport: 5-8 medals)

BADMINTON: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

BASKETBALL: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: no medals)

BOXING: eight medals (three gold, three silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 3-5 medals)

CANOEING: four medals (one gold, two silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 3-4 medals)

CYCLING: 14 medals (six gold, three silver, five bronze - UK Sport: 6-10 medals)

EQUESTRIAN: six medals (two gold, one silver, three bronze - UK Sport: 3-4 medals)

FENCING: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

FOOTBALL: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: no target as unfunded)

GYMNASTICS: four medals (one gold, one silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

HOCKEY: two medals (one gold, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

JUDO: two medals (two bronze - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

MODERN PENTATHLON: two medals (one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

ROWING: seven medals (two gold, three silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 6 medals)

SAILING: seven medals (two gold, three silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 3-5 medals)

SHOOTING: one medal (one silver - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

SWIMMING: 10 medals (four gold, two silver, four bronze - UK Sport: 5-7 medals)

TAEKWONDO: three medals (one gold, one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-3 medals)

TENNIS: two medals (one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 0-2 medals)

TRIATHLON: three medals (one gold, one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 3 Uk

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 3 Chris+Hoy_1944_19247589_0_0_7019282_300

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 3 _60519020_jess_ennis_getty624b

Yes we can!

Last edited by Duty281 on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

Post by Crimey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:54 am

dummy_half wrote:Another thing to consider is the effect of the decline of Communism and break-up of the sporting powers of Eastern Europe.

This had two effects on sports:
1 - The end of state-controlled athletic development (with associated systematic doping), with selected kids hot-housed and trained specifically for a decade or more for their event. While the system ended around 1990, the last products of the system were still active in 96 and 2000.

I think it's been reported that China still do it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:09 am

Shelsey, I agree that Donald and Westwood have improved immesnely in the golf but until they win a major I don't think they are a success story.

The NI lads are part of the Golfing Union of Ireland. Not a lot of funding from Britain. This could end up kickstarting something though so apologies!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:38 pm

It depends how you define success- getting to number 1 is much tougher than winning a major. However you are correct- its all about the majors.

I have made my thoughts clear on funding and sports in NI- so i am not gonna repeat this here- but with all my other pointsMy guess is that NI funds as much per capita as Ireland do for GUI(i dont know this for a fact but it does make sense)- so in affect even the GUI funding for NI golfers is still from the UK. But if this has been a success story for the GUI then together (ROI and NI) need to pat them selfs on th back and both nations should feel proud -however the reality is that Ireland(combined) only have 16 golfers in the official ranking !!. England has 120 - add scotland and wales to that and you have 160,

Golf in britain is very much a private sector thing and not much funding is given(however i have heard scotland banging on about trying to get all kids playing the game- they are trying this systimatic approach to the game on there own). The country that has had most success from funding is sweden who have about 50 players in the ranking system.

Given those figures I suspect that golf in ireland isnt heavily funded at all, but (no disrespect) have just produced some great players naturally- rather than through depth and a measured approach to get loads of golfers playing .which england currently have bags of- 2nd in the world by a long way- but Then i know that none of that is from the public sector either- its just that we are a nation that naturally plays alot of golf- and that is actually due to availabilty of golf courses, nick faldo(success breeds success) and the amount of middleclass we have on a half decent income that can afford to play the game!

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

Golf is not too heavily funded, down South, and it is more of a minority sport, if you compare the amount of great courses in NI alone to the amount in Ireland it's insane. Ireland don't produce many golfers if you don't include NI but they are a big part of GUI's plans. Great work being done by both.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

Its really about avalabilty of golf courses- which is a private sector thing- but then also about getting kids into the game..However Ireland actually does have loads- I have been on 4 golf tours to ireland(south) and love the courses to bits.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 03 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

Up to 4th in the medal table at the moment with:

6 Gold 6 Silver 7 Bronze

Gold for Grainger and Watkins in the double sculls. Karina Bryant wins bronze in the heavyweight judo.

19 medals already with over a week of competition to go. Still don't think we'll get anywhere near 95, but you could say we're over 1/3 of the way to our best ever medal haul in recent times (think most people would consider 54 a fantastic achievement).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

Two more golds since Dyre's update - Team pursuit and a dominant performance from Pendleton in the Kierin. Looks like she should start as favourite for the sprint as well.

3 more good chances of gold in the velodrome - Kenny in the men's sprint, Hoy in the Kierin (also known as the 'follow a derny for 6 laps then Chris Hoy for the last 2) and the women's team pursuit. Other races are more difficult to call (the omnium is a good new event on the track - sort of like a cycling version of the decathlon, in that it tests sprint and endurance riding and tactical racing).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:30 pm

dummy_half wrote: (the omnium is a good new event on the track - sort of like a cycling version of the decathlon, in that it tests sprint and endurance riding and tactical racing).

So basically the road race?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:31 pm

the onimum is like the decathlon in the way it has many events- But i get your point the long races test those skills

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

Of course we can't win everything (I suppose Smile ) , but Trott and Clancy have very good chances in the Omniums (Omnia ?)

Going to be a lot of cycling medals...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:11 pm

We would get at least three more golds in the velodrome, poss 4. 1 Gold tomorrow in rowing, hopefully 2 more in athletics tomorrow. 2 Sailing. Another 2 perhaps in athletics. Dressage?

20 is on!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:21 pm

Men's football is a possibility. Plenty of chances in Boxing for Gold. Andy Murray is one win from Gold. The men's and women's hockey team are both looking good. Diving and the Triathlon are also possible chances. 20+? Yep.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

Forgot about boxing - will get at least one there.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

I'm calling double gold for triathlon, with a bronze kicker in the mens.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:43 pm

Ogogo will get one regardless of how he boxes it seems Whistle

Good luck though lads, don't want Murray (FedEx to complete a glorious career to win) but you have legit and great chances in most others excpet football. Nothing will happen there

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

murray and GB footy to win gold,

luke donald to win gold next olympics.

yet never win a major!! its gonna be ironic!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

I think if Murray loses or wins it will be a great achievement, I only expected him to get bronze.

I can't see us getting anything other than a bronze medal in football.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

What's all this optimism on the GB football team? They have played one half decent side, and there are a lot of good sides like Brazil, Japan and Eqypt are quite underrated. Don't discount the Argies either. A medal is a slim possiblitly. Gold, not a chance.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:55 pm

I'm going to discount the Argies considering they didn't qualify. Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

Thomond i just think its gonna be sods law that we win- yet it will just end up causing more problems in the long run with england expectation and the home unions!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm

Feic meant Mexico, got my Latin countries confused.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:51 am

I keep hearing how far ahead we are compared to Beijing. Are we doing that much better or are the events more front-loaded this time?

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:53 am

ryan86 wrote:I keep hearing how far ahead we are compared to Beijing. Are we doing that much better or are the events more front-loaded this time?

yep a question I was debating

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:27 am

I actually think it's the rowing regatta that is causing the biggest discrepancy. In Beijing all 14 medals were won over the middle weekend, whilst 10 of the 14 have already been decided here.

So if we take those 6 rowing medals out that's 16 compared to the 7-8 we had at this time in Beijing I believe. All other medals appear to be medals we could have won this time at the last games.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:52 am

mystiroakey wrote:
ryan86 wrote:I keep hearing how far ahead we are compared to Beijing. Are we doing that much better or are the events more front-loaded this time?

yep a question I was debating

We didnt get the canoe slalom, as many rowing, or judo medals in 2008 but did better in the pool. Got an extra 2 medals on the road cycling. we had one bronze from the horsey events at this point, now we have a silver. Didnt get any gymnastics medals last time, we have a bronze now. We didnt get any medals in shooting last time, we have a gold already.

This time our atheltics team is much stronger despite losing the marathon lass. Ennis, Greene, Farrah are all favourites in their events and Idowuo is a very strong challenger too, and Oghururu in with a chance. Last time we only got 1 gold, it would be a dissapoint to not beat that this time. Despite the screw up on the womens sprint our track cycling is even better this time so we could top what we got in 2008. Could beat the two bronzes in horseyness, wed really expect another medal at least from somewhere. Sailing it might be a struggle to replicate the dominance of 2008 but we are doing well in several events. Taekwondo we got a bronze in 2008...every chance we could better that. Tennis we got nothing, this time we are gauranteed silver. Triathlon last time nothing, this time we are favourites in both having decided to run as a team rather and having the best athletes in the world. Theres some odd things like the sprint canoeing that we got a gold in last time, no idea how strong we are this time. Hockey is going well and mens soccer has a strong chance of a medal, events we got nothing in in 2008. Boxing we picked up a gold and 2 bronzes, not sure how strong we are this time around to be honest. Things like weightlighting, wrestling and eating soup we couldnt do worse in.

We have a stronger all round squad this time, and actually blew a few strong medal chances in 2008. from where we are now Id be surprised if we dont top the gold and total medal counts of last time

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:56 am

Nice Peter.

Hope we can get some horsey golds. We are stronger this time overall, and we actually have an extra 200 competitors competiting- so i would be suprised if we didnt get more medals

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:34 am

If swimming is removed

GB 8 5 6 19
USA 7 2 6 15

I know that's a bit like saying if my aunt was my uncle etc., and everyone else could take cycling out of our total, but I thought it was quite interesting that outwith swimming, the US haven't won much elsewhere (at the moment)

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:40 am

ryan86 wrote:If swimming is removed

GB 8 5 6 19
USA 7 2 6 15

I know that's a bit like saying if my aunt was my uncle etc., and everyone else could take cycling out of our total, but I thought it was quite interesting that outwith swimming, the US haven't won much elsewhere (at the moment)

Great point mate- something that we couldnt have thought possibe 10 years ago! Your right its a bit ifs and buts. But still a massive acheivment!

offcourse come athletics and they will go furthar ahead, but still worth noting

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:22 pm

3 Golds and 1 Silver so far for GB on Day 8. Still Ennis and Farah to come.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm

And the Long Jump boys.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

Duty281 wrote:3 Golds and 1 Silver so far for GB on Day 8. Still Ennis and Farah to come.

Duty,

Seeing as 95 Medals is now impossible, wgat number do you thing GB will end up at. Id go for between 30& 38.....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

John we will be in that range tommorow!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

will go with 50-55

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

John Cregan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:3 Golds and 1 Silver so far for GB on Day 8. Still Ennis and Farah to come.

Duty,

Seeing as 95 Medals is now impossible, wgat number do you thing GB will end up at. Id go for between 30& 38.....................

50+. Over 20 Golds.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

Maybe there are more events left than i thought but i thought there was only an expectation of somewhere in the 5-10 range in the Athletics...................of course there are more events each Olympics and of course theres boxing and sailing/rowing.................

I'll up it to 40-45.......................

For Ireland im going to go with 3 Boxing Medals (Gold for 5 time World Champ Katie Taylor and 2 medals for the men)...........................hope Analise Murphy can hang on for a medat in the Sailing, she only has to beat 1 of the other Top 4 to win a bronze, but i have a feeling she will be unlucky..........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:15 pm

yeah 40-45 is more realistic- 50-55 is airing on optimistic.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

As long as we get 20 Gold Medals or more and finish 3rd in the Medals Table, I'll be happy.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

all about getting the 3rd for me

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

We only need 9 more to get to that magic 20. Jessica Ennis should bring that down to 8 barring a catastrophe. We can get a couple more in Cycling. Mo Farah has two chances to get a Gold. There's plenty of opportunity in Boxing. Andy Murray is in two tennis finals tomorrow. Hockey, football and Diving are possibles. And let's not forget Sailing which may bring a Gold medal or two.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

do we have chances in the horsey stuff

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:50 pm

Forgot about that. According to the BBC we do.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:52 pm

nice

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

Now we only 6 more for the magic 20.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm

6 boxers in the QF's so should be some more medals in that.

Then we have the dressage (horses) where we have good chance in the individual and the team event.

We still have track cycling left where I think we have maybe 4 medal chances..

Obviously we will pick up two in the tennis...just a question of which colour.

In the sailing I would say we have 4 very good medal chances...

Gymnastics - We still have Beth & Smith to go in the Individual events...

That isn't even taking into consideration Diving, Syncro Swimming, Triathlon (where the Browlee brothers have an amazing chance of a 1-2), BMX, Mountain Biking, Hockey....and then possibly some more on the track!!

So yeh lots still to look forward to..

Sumptuous Sunday....Magical Monday....Tremendous Tuesday....Wonderful Wednesday....!!

Come On Team GB!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

Also two of our three female fighters require just the one fight to get at least a bronze.

I wonder whether Ennis is going to try and do the 100m hurdles as well.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:29 pm

Would she not have to have qualified prior to be in it? Her time could get her a medal for sure (can she do that in another final though would be a question)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

Ennis has qualified, or at least according to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics#Athletics

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:37 pm

Ah right, don't see why she wouldn't give a go of it unless the heats are tomorrow morning, she is probably wrecked like.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

The heats are Monday morning, the finals Tuesday evening.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

Ennis is in the team for the 100 hurdles. Although she said she'd only do it if she ballsed up the heptathlon.

Given how fast she went yesterday, I think she should give it a go.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next