The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Amir Khan learning as he goes?

+4
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
azania
Pedro147
8 posters

Go down

Is Amir Khan learning as he goes? Empty Is Amir Khan learning as he goes?

Post by Pedro147 Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 14:31

Why can't Amir just keep quiet. I know he gets some over the top stick at time but sometimes he should be quiet. He was accused in his last fight of looking past his opponent and this looks to be the same. I still think he'll win but not learning lessons. I also like GBP saying he is an "unbeatable" fighter.

Amir Khan has once again re-iterated his belief that he is ready to fight Floyd
Remote Record Khan, who takes on Danny Garcia in the early hours of Sunday morning with the WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine light-welterweight titles on the line, inists his future is in the welterweight division.

The Briton's controversial defeat to Lamont Peterson in December has delayed his career plans by six months but Khan is once again looking to bigger nights in the future.

"I know I will cause Mayweather problems. He's getting older and slower now. It's the best time to catch him. I really believe I do have the style to beat him. "

Amir Khan

Quotes of the week

And that inevitably leads to talk of a clash with Mayweather, the dominant figure at anywhere between 147 and 154lb.

"This is my chance to prove once and for all that I'm the best in the division," he said.

"I can win the WBC title and will have held three of the four belts in the light-welterweight division, so it's time to move up to 147lbs. I just think there are more challenges out there for me in that division.

"I want to be in big world title fights and in big fights with the likes of Mayweather. To do that, I need to be up in that division."

He added: "Watching Mayweather's last fight (a points win against Miguel Cotto), coupled with the way I've been training, I think I'm ready.

"Styles make fights. I know Mayweather's fought other styles and has looked so good against them, but he's never fought anyone with my style, someone young, hungry, fit and strong who can punch.

"I know I will cause Mayweather problems. He's getting older and slower now. It's the best time to catch him. I really believe I do have the style to beat him.

"One of the reasons I want to move up to 147lbs is to fight Mayweather and it's not about the money, it's about me knowing I can beat the guy and be the next guy at the top, the next pound-for-pound champion."

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer believes the fight could be made as soon as Mayweather is released from prison later this year.

"Floyd Mayweather is going to get out of prison in early August. We're going to sit down with him and see what his plans are but based on what I've been told he definitely wants to fight some time later on this year," he said.

"Who knows, maybe we're going to see Mayweather vs Khan later on this year.

"If you have two fighters who want to fight each other then it's always an easy fight to make and we have a great friendship with Floyd and we're promoting Amir, so it would be an easy fight to make.

"Amir is ready. In my opinion Amir Khan has the skills to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"His combinations, his speed, his ring generalship and his aggressiveness make him not only an exciting fighter but also in my opinion, an unbeatable fighter. I do think he's ready and he has a hell of a shot."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Is Amir Khan learning as he goes? Empty Re: Is Amir Khan learning as he goes?

Post by azania Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 14:39

I don't think he's looking past this dude. Everyone knows mayweather is the goose that lays the golden egg and all want him. So its inevitable that they will ask about him and he will respond.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 14:42

I'm not Khan's biggest fan, but I will say that, in general, he's only given a torrent of Mayweather talk when he's been directly asked about it. If he's being asked the question, he's naturally going to answer it.

Fighters talk about future opponents all the time, if we take off the favouritsm glasses. Hatton did it almost without fail, for instance. It's nothing new and I don't see anything for Khan to reproach himself over here.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think Khan, for the most part, has been a wonderful example of a fighter learning from experience as they go, time after time after time. I've always been impressed with his work ethic, which is clearly fantastic. Every time there's been a setback or a below par performance, he's usually corrected the errors and shortcomings which were accountable.

I can see him putting in a sparkling performance tomorrow night and, with all business more or less taken care of at 140 lb, dreaming of Mayweather is the natural next step.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 14:45

At least Amir's gob has been surpassed by Garcia's nob-jockey father for this fight. He's pathetic, a bell-end and possibly a racist, I had no real feelings towards Garcia before this fight but since his dad started mouthing off I've wanted the kid to take a 11m30s sustain beating before getting spectacularly knocked out.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 15:05

TopHat24/7 wrote:At least Amir's gob has been surpassed by Garcia's nob-jockey father for this fight. He's pathetic, a bell-end and possibly a racist, I had no real feelings towards Garcia before this fight but since his dad started mouthing off I've wanted the kid to take a 11m30s sustain beating before getting spectacularly knocked out.

After the Terry verdict, it doesn't exist anymore. Call a minority whatever you want and claim you were being sarcastic.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 19:55

I hope he learns to fight better!

Roach was on a Ringside show in the lead up to the scheduled LP rematch making a point which we all saw in the first fight and one that I hope Amir corrects.

He mentioned how Amir takes his breaks by leaning against the ropes with his hands up high and whilst he's not hurt by the incoming shots it makes him look bad and goes against him on the cards. He should take breaks by jabbing away and finding space, rather than by retreating in straight lines against the ropes with a high guard.

I'm glad to see they publically addressed it because despite it being a tough fight and the Sky commentary going bananas, I didn't get the impression that Amir was really hurt or on the verge of decking it like he was against Maidana.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 4:58

"I know I will cause Mayweather problems. He's getting older and slower now. It's the best time to catch him. I really believe I do have the style to beat him. "

Laugh Laugh

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 6:02

88Chris05 wrote:I'm not Khan's biggest fan, but I will say that, in general, he's only given a torrent of Mayweather talk when he's been directly asked about it. If he's being asked the question, he's naturally going to answer it.

Fighters talk about future opponents all the time, if we take off the favouritsm glasses. Hatton did it almost without fail, for instance. It's nothing new and I don't see anything for Khan to reproach himself over here.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think Khan, for the most part, has been a wonderful example of a fighter learning from experience as they go, time after time after time. I've always been impressed with his work ethic, which is clearly fantastic. Every time there's been a setback or a below par performance, he's usually corrected the errors and shortcomings which were accountable.

I can see him putting in a sparkling performance tomorrow night and, with all business more or less taken care of at 140 lb, dreaming of Mayweather is the natural next step.

How wrong you was mate and as for learning with each fight, throwing combos and moving back is the only trend I see in every Khan fight. Either Freddy Roach is a complete joke or his fighter is 1 dimensional who doesn't listen.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 11:00

Khan is just a bit thick. But he's good box office as his fights are never boring.

He'll fight Brooke in 12 months and beat him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 15:39

azania wrote:Khan is just a bit thick. But he's good box office as his fights are never boring.

He'll fight Brooke in 12 months and beat him.

No way, Brook wins!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 15:43

Can't see it. Khan is vulnerable to hooks. Brook doesn't throw hooks. Its like Khan has a blind spot to hooks.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 15:44

Brook doesn't throw hooks... Az, comments like that make me wonder whether you watch the actual fights... Kell was throwing plenty of left and right hooks in.... Well, all of his fights...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 16:15

AlexHuckerby wrote:Brook doesn't throw hooks... Az, comments like that make me wonder whether you watch the actual fights... Kell was throwing plenty of left and right hooks in.... Well, all of his fights...

He mainly throws straight punches. Obviously when he has a guy ornered he will throw hooks. Watch the first 6 rounds. Led behind the jab, then straight rights. When Carson got close he started to hook.

Khan has a vulnerability with guys who lead off with hooks. Brawlers in short.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 16:33

Think you might need to watch a few other fights, he throws plenty of hooks, and it's also not impossible for him to change his gameplan to accomodate more for hooks.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 16:34

azania wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Brook doesn't throw hooks... Az, comments like that make me wonder whether you watch the actual fights... Kell was throwing plenty of left and right hooks in.... Well, all of his fights...

He mainly throws straight punches. Obviously when he has a guy ornered he will throw hooks. Watch the first 6 rounds. Led behind the jab, then straight rights. When Carson got close he started to hook.

Khan has a vulnerability with guys who lead off with hooks. Brawlers in short.

Garcia isn't a brawler, he is a counter puncher and was one last night untill the 4th were he just wanted to get khan out of there. Garcia was actually doing pretty well in the 3rd with counter punches and wasn't pushing khan against the ropes so saying brawlers are his weakness is perhaps a little premature. Brook fights more like Garcia than the others khan has struggled with. If Garcia can time him, brook should too an coupled with the fact brook is bigger and has faster hands than Danny khan will be in trouble imo

He couldn't hurt Garcia too so I doubt brook will be wary of his power

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 16:54

For me Brook is made for Khan. More of a boxer than anything else. Can he change his style and try and mix it with Khan? I doubt it. He will try and beat Khan at boxing and that is where Khan's skills with come to play.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 17:20

Just not sure if Brook likes to trade enough, thats the one thing ~I wonder about, I think unlike Garcia, he may just wait a little too much.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 17:25

The chance I would give Brook is that when Khan attacks, he leaves his defenses behind like a tourist losing his passport.

In a strange way, this KO could be the best thing to happen to Khan. I think he started to believe in his chin. After the Prescot loss, he came back against Kotelnik and boxed smart, not engaging and very disciplined. He will probably start that again but with more emphasis on his jab.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down