The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

+8
PJHolybloke
Pot Hale
maestegmafia
gowales
LordDowlais
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
wayne
Breadvan
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys - Page 2 Empty Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pro 12 Season Preview – Ospreys

It was a season of two halves last year for the Swansea based Ospreys. Underachieving yet again in the Heineken Cup but clinching a scintillating victory away from home against Leinster to be crowned the Rabo Direct Pro 12 Champions. There’s no hiding from it, the Ospreys are proven winners in the league, and yet they still fail to really stamp their potential dominance on their opponents.

Contrary to the media hysteria of a “mass exodus of players from Wales” the Ospreys, same as all the other regions in Wales, have been doing a good job of bringing through their academy players and securing those of their stars, like Adam Jones, for the long term future. Add to that their new signing of a returning player, Jonathan Spratt, who had fledged the nest a few seasons ago, then it’s all good news for this region in bringing Welsh talent back to Wales.

There’s not been much news on the signing front at the Ospreys this summer as they work hard to secure themselves financially, and what with a recent winding up order hanging over their heads, it’s a job easier said than done. Their innovative season ticket deal seems to have sparked some life into the fans of the region though, and with them having finished last season on a high, the Ospreys team must be hoping they reap the benefits of this.

A word of caution must be applied to this side though. Many times before they’ve shown promise only to fail to progress further, and they must, under the motivational guidance of new coach Steve Tandy, build on last season’s successes. It will be a task easier said than done, and I for one feel that the loss of Paul James could come back to haunt them. For me in seasons passed, he has been one, if not the most important player to them, or at least on a level with mighty Adam Jones. Ryan Bevington having long shown glimpses of a superb talent will have to take the opportunity afforded to him with both hands – he has very big boots to fill.

As with all the regions, in the Pro 12, negotiating the international periods will be critical for the Ospreys, but it’s a task that they are well equipped to face. Their forwards, with or without their internationals, are a fearsome unit, with many able deputies seen in the guise of the likes of Duncan Jones. If they see themselves safely through the Autumn Internationals and 6 Nations, I can only see them once again reaching the play offs. Retaining the title must surely be their aim.

Some (myself included) often say they come from the wrong side of the Loughor bridge, but a firing and strong Ospreys can only be good for Wales. From their rivalry with the other regions (especially the Scarlets), to the players they produce for the international team, a winning mentality in rugby is priceless. Long may the success of the Ospreys continue if no other region is capable, if only to encourage the other regions to compete and to bring that winning edge to Welsh rugby, that at international level at least, is sometimes so difficult to find.

My players to watch: Ryan Bevington, Ashley Beck, Jonathan Spratt, Dan Biggar, Justin Tipuric.

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

Post by Casartelli Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:34 pm

This Ospreys Buy-One-Get-A-Few-Free deal is a bit of a mindbender and I was also of the opinion that it was a load of sales-spin nonsense, BUT

assuming that the main season ticket holder can find a friend and a couple of kids who are interested in going to the big games, then it is bound to swell the numbers a bit.

Casual fans/youngsters aren't going to be tempted to go and see Connacht/Glasgow/Italian teams, so it won't work there, but there is no downside to the offer, so the overall effect can only be slightly positive, which has to be a nice thing.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

Post by maestegmafia Mon 30 Jul 2012, 8:20 pm

How only slightly positive?

The Ospreys are giving away free tickets...! That's what is called a very very positive way to encourage people to come.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 30 Jul 2012, 8:38 pm

Good News for the Region that the Winding up order against the Ospreys was dismissed at the High Court in London today following discussions between the two parties.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/07/30/ospreys-winding-up-order-dismissed-following-hmrc-agreement-91466-31507181/#ixzz228WCLbKO

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 31 Jul 2012, 8:17 am

maestegmafia wrote:How only slightly positive?

The Ospreys are giving away free tickets...! That's what is called a very very positive way to encourage people to come.
It would be more positive if people were clamouring to buy tickets...!

I forsee more empty seats than at the Equestrian this Olympics...!

...!

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

Good article on Scot Baldwin.

SCOTT BALDWIN plans to capitalise on the departure of Wales star Huw Bennett from the Ospreys by challenging Richard Hibbard for the No. 2 jersey.

“It’s about me now. I’ve got to stay focused on myself and my job, keep doing what I can do and do it well, and not worry about anyone else,” said the hooker.

“I have to just worry about how I can control my own game and my own areas of responsibility.”

Coach Steve Tandy sent the Bridgend product on for Wales international Hibbard to help the Ospreys beat Leinster during a RaboDirect Pro12 final thriller in Dublin two months ago.

“It shows the faith that the coaches have in the young players here,” said 24-year-old Baldwin.

“To be sent on with 10 minutes to go in the final was massive for me.

“We were losing so to be able to say that I was thrown on not just to help close the game out but to actually help us win it is brilliant for me.

“If I can’t take belief out of that I never will.

“It was a strange experience, I probably didn’t feel under the pressure that I normally have going on.

“Steve just told me to go on and make an impact, so I just tried to do my role, to not get too emotional or excited about it.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/swansea-ospreys/2012/07/25/scott-baldwin-ready-for-ospreys-challenge-91466-31467175/#ixzz22DOv2ZmI

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

From the Ospreys Website

French trip is the next step in pre-season
3 August 2012 12:35pmBy Ospreys Rugby

A month into pre-season, Joe Bearman says that the players are ready to step things up a gear with next week's training camp in central France.

The Ospreys head to Issoir in central France for a five day trip that culminates in a tough game against French giants Clermont Auvergne on Friday 10th August (8.00pm KO), and according to the big Cornishman, the trip will play a big part in preparations for the coming season.
""It's going good" he insisted.

"The boys are in good shape and everyone's feeling positive, getting stronger. We've started doing contact stuff now so we're stepping it up a bit and we'll get a better picture of where everyone is this week.

"All in all I'd say it's gone really well and the boys are all looking forward to moving up a gear next week now, going to France for the week with a game at the end of it.

"It's my first proper pre-season in probably three or four years so I'm feeling really good and benefiting from it. It makes all the difference in terms of preparation as it allows you to put everything in place for the season ahead instead of starting off from behind everyone else and taking half the season to catch up and really get going.

"It's an important time of the year for all rugby players."

Despite the recent hot spell, pre-season this year has been characterised by rain and wet-weather gear rather than the more expected summer weather and Bearman says that it will be good to get some French sunshine on the back next week:

"The weather's been rubbish" he laughed.

"We've just had a good week but that's about it. Pre-season is usually about avoiding sunburn and staying hydrated but this year it's just rained and rained. It's been terrible. There's nothing worse than getting up early on a summer's morning and it's still dark and it's raining.

"Rather than sunburn, every day after training it's been about getting back into the pavilion to dry out and warm up. It's been incredible really but the boys have pulled together and kept spirits high, and we've got some good work done over the last month. It's always good to take training somewhere else and I think we're all hoping that we'll get a bit more sunshine in France!

"Seriously thought, it's an important week for everybody. Going there is about spending a bit more time working on things we've gone through in training, making sure they work, being out on the training pitch together and ironing some things out before our first game. There'll be a lot of young boys on the trip and it'll be a good experience for them to be around the environment and to be preparing for a game against a great side like Clermont Auvergne. I'd expect everybody to get some game time at some stage out there, it's the next step for us towards the new season.

"What happens off the field is just as important as it's the only chance for the whole squad to travel somewhere together as a group rather than just a team involved in a game. It gives everyone a chance to gel together, which is important, making sure we are getting on as a group.

"It's important that we enjoy the trip. It's going to be hard work, the coaches will make sure of that, but we need to make sure that everyone feels part of it and knows what we are playing for. We'll come back ready to play Bath (Saturday 18th August, KO 3.00pm), and then we're into the season with a massive game away to Treviso before Ulster come to the Liberty a week later for the first home league game.

"We need to start on the front foot and pre-season will be geared towards allowing us to do that. It's going to be a huge season for us."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:49 pm

There's a combination of youth and experience in the selection, with the players who toured Australia with Wales in June sitting the match out on the sidelines.
The team will be led by Jonathan Thomas, who wears the number eight shirt, while Ian Gough, Kahn Fotuali'i and Richard Fussell add their considerable experience to a starting XV that also includes the young pairing of Tom Grabham and Ross Jones on the wing and Sam Williams at lock.

Speaking ahead of Friday's game, Tandy said:

"This is a big test for this group of players. Clermont have a very strong squad and are ahead of us in term of preparation for the new season so we know we're up against it but as a coaching group it's going to be interesting for us to assess how they react to the challenge.

"We've got a good mix in the team, which makes for an exciting selection. There are older heads who can provide the know-how and guidance to some young players who are keen to impress, and we're looking forward to it.

"It's a big step-up in our preparations for the new season, with the home game against Bath (Saturday 18th August, KO 3.00pm) coming a week later, and it's important that as a group and as individuals we stand up and show what we are about. We've got two tough tests against two very different kinds of teams that will help us to ensure we are ready for the start of the season."

OSPREYS TEAM TO FACE CLERMONT AUVERGNE

15 Richard Fussell

14 Tom Grabham

13 Tom Isaacs

12 Jonathan Spratt

11 Ross Jones

10 Matthew Morgan

9 Kahn Fotuali'i

1 Ryan Bevington

2 Scott Baldwin

3 Joe Rees

4 Ian Gough

5 Sam Williams

6 James King

7 Sam Lewis

8 Jonathan Thomas (Capt)

REPLACEMENTS

16 Scott Otten

17 Duncan Jones

18 Aaron Jarvis

19 Lloyd Peers

20 George Stowers

21 Morgan Allen

22 Tom Habberfield

23 Dan Biggar

24 Hanno Dirksen

25 Nathan Edwards

26 Nicky Thomas

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:50 pm

Few new names there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:38 am

The Ospreys U18's touched down five times and survived a late Saracens onslaught on their way to a 35-28 victory at Llandarcy yesterday afternoon.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5503.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:49 am

The Ospreys U16's just fell short as they lost 8-0 to a well drilled Saracens team at Llandarcy yesterday.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5502.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:24 am

Maesteg, if you're going to the Bath game and fancy meeting up for a cheeky half with Penfro and me, PM one of us. OK

'Mon Barf!!
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:06 am

Cheers PJ,

I just PM'd you...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:07 am

15 Richard Fussell

14 Hanno Dirksen

13 Andrew Bishop

12 Jonathan Spratt

11 Tom Isaacs

10 Dan Biggar

9 Rhys Webb

1 Duncan Jones

2 Richard Hibbard

3 Aaron Jarvis

4 Ian Gough

5 Ian Evans

6 James King

7 Justin Tipuric (capt)

8 Joe Bearman

REPLACEMENTS

Scott Baldwin, Scott Otten, Ryan Bevington, Joe Rees, Lloyd Peers, Alun Wyn Jones, George Stowers, Sam Lewis, Jonathan Thomas, Kahn Fotuali'i, Matthew Morgan, Ashley Beck, Tom Grabham, Luke Morgan, Ross Jones.

Head Coach Steve Tandy said:

"This is a big step-up in our preparations for the new season. The trip to France was really beneficial for us, allowing the players to work hard in training without any distractions before a tough game against Clermont on the Friday night.

"We know that Bath will be difficult opponents, like all Premiership teams they'll be physical and will look to gain dominance up front so pre-season game or not we're expecting a battle and a game that will keep supporters entertained.

"The team has a bit more of a familiar look this week. There are a number of internationals coming back into the mix, some starting and some on the bench, and we'll be looking to integrate them into the group ahead of the start of the season.

"It's great to be back home at the Liberty Stadium for the first time since the PRO12 semi-final and I know that the players are looking forward to running out in front of our fans again. We're hoping for a big crowd, a great atmosphere and a good performance to get them excited and whet the appetite for the new season."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:41 pm

Highlights of the U16s and U18s against Saracens

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=12593

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

Italian teenager earns extended summer stay at Ospreys
20 August 2012 09:29amBy Ospreys Rugby

Italian teenager Jacopo Tomaselli spent 10 days in Swansea this month as part of the Ospreys age-grade set-up after impressing the region's development coaches at the first European Summer School.

The 15-year old from Livorno on the west coast of Italy was one of 60 teenagers from across Europe who spent week based at Swansea University during July, taking part in a daily programme of rugby skills, personal development seminars and English language lessons, getting a real taste of Ospreys life.
A scrum-half for his hometown club in Tuscany, he caught the eye with his ability and was invited back to Ospreylia to work with the U16 squad, spending time at a training camp and army boot camp in Tenby.

Speaking about his experience, Jacopo said:

"I had an incredible time with the Ospreys. Everyone was so kind and helpful especially with the language since my English isn't very good. I found it such a professional, high-level environment. The staff worked us very hard but the coaches still managed to keep a lot of enjoyment in the training. This is the big difference I noticed, combining those two things which are usually separate!

"The highlight was the training camp with the boys at Tenby and the army course - hard but great and worth the pain. I really hope I can come back to Swansea and rejoin the Ospreys again in the future."

Youth Performance Manager, Damian Karauna, said:

"Jacopo attended the European Summer School with his team-mates from Livorno and he really impressed the coaches who were leading the sessions so we felt that it was worth inviting him over to spend some time with us. He showed up very well and settled in with the group, overcoming the language barrier to mix in really well. He showed that he has plenty of ability and now he's gone back to Italy we'll be keeping in touch with him and monitoring his development."

Tony Thomas, Ospreys Development Officer and European Summer School Manager, added:

"The Summer School was established to allow young rugby players the opportunity to enjoy an Ospreys experience and to help spread the Ospreys message far and wide. We certainly didn't expect to be able to identify young players with Jacopo's quality, but having seen what he is capable of we were delighted to invite him to spend more time with us over the last two weeks.

"The interested generated by the European Summer School has been beyond what we could have hoped for and we are looking forward to it being even bigger and better next year, when who knows what other talent we may be able to identify."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

TRIES were like gold dust at Neath last night during a fiercely-competitive Adam Jones Testimonial Match.

Unlike most showpiece games that are usually associated with a glut of points, this one ended with the sides sharing a miserly four tries.

After spending four seasons with Neath, the 31-year-old Wales and British Lions prop signed for the Ospreys in 2003 at the outset of the Welsh club game going regional.

Jones, who hails from Abercrave, was delighted to be back at the club that launched his career.

“It’s been a long-time since I last played at Neath, but their loyal fans still make it an amazing place,” explained Jones, dubbed a ‘Hair Bear’ along with fellow Wales and Ospreys prop Duncan Jones.

“I’ve been overwhelmed with the response and enthusiasm of the boys wanting to once more pull on a shirt, and all-in-all it was a superb night.”

The clash with Neath – along with a golf day next month at the Grove Club in Porthcawl and Testimonial Dinner at Cardiff Arms Park in November – form the highlights of an action-packed year.

A glittering array of talent – under the guidance of Neath’s 1996 championship-winning coach Lyn Jones – supported the three-times Wales Grand Slam-winner against the Welsh All Blacks.

Three of his Wales and British Lions team-mates – centres Allan Bateman and Mark Taylor along with hooker Barry Williams – melted the years away, as did ex-Canadian flanker and Wales conditioning coach Dan Baugh.

The game also marked the thaw of a two-year icy relationship between Neath and the Liberty Stadium region, with the Blacks parading Ospreys development players in centre Ryan Evans and flanker Emyr Williams.

Neath also marked the occasion in confirming flanker Gareth Gravell as captain for a third successive season.

In front of a crowd estimated at 2,500, the Adam Jones team took the field with every player wearing No.3. And they most opened the scoring in the 20th minute when wing Mark Taylor was held up just short of the try-line.

It wasn’t until the 28th minute that the scoreboard swung into action with Neath fly-half Dai Langdon engineering a try for wing Tom Morgan.

Five minutes later, the Adam Jones side got off the mark after hooker Barry Williams set up a corner try for ex-Neath and Wales wing Nathan Brew. Back came the Blacks with a try at the posts from centre Gareth McCarthy, and a second Langdon conversion made it 14-5 at the break.

A 45th-minute try from full-back Barry Davies that fly-half Dylan Pugh improved on then kept the invitation team in touch.

Things again went quiet – the Invitation team doing most of the pressing – and in the 75th minute Adam Jones nearly won the game. But he shaved a post with a 35-metre penalty attempt and in a frenetic finish, his side came close to mustering a winning try.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/08/24/neath-14-12-adam-jones-xv-wales-prop-enjoys-special-night-91466-31694347/#ixzz24Z4xI3Ds

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

I've just read on the Ospreys forum that they are trying to convert Ben John into a fullback. Hope it works out for him

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

Also just in:-

Kahn Fotuali'i is preparing for a real tussle for the Ospreys number nine jersey this season as he does battle with Wales scrum-half Rhys Webb for a place in the starting line-up.
[b]

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5532.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

A bit like the Marshall-Phillips rivalry. Hopefully it brings out the best of them like it did back then. Competition is key. Personally i think Kahn is just ahead of Webb at the moment.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:35 am

gowales wrote:A bit like the Marshall-Phillips rivalry. Hopefully it brings out the best of them like it did back then. Competition is key. Personally i think Kahn is just ahead of Webb at the moment.
I don't think we need Khan with Webb and Habberfield... They should of let him go and free'd up some wages.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:02 am

maestegmafia wrote:
gowales wrote:A bit like the Marshall-Phillips rivalry. Hopefully it brings out the best of them like it did back then. Competition is key. Personally i think Kahn is just ahead of Webb at the moment.
I don't think we need Khan with Webb and Habberfield... They should of let him go and free'd up some wages.

With Webb now more involved with the Wales squad i think we'll need Kahn more now. Tom needs a couple of years to adjust to senior rugby as well

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2