The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker!

+6
LondonTiger
Jetty
Mike Selig
Duty281
Liam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
10 posters

Go down

England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker! Empty England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker!

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/current/story/572474.html

Ravi Bopara is back in the England Test side for the first match against South Africa at The Oval next week after being included in a 13-man squad. There is also a full complement of fast bowlers with Graham Onions named alongside Steven Finn and Tim Bresnan with one of those to be chosen to form the pace trio alongside James Anderson and Stuart Broad.

Squad Andrew Strauss (capt), Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Matt Prior, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steven Finn

Or quite possibly the title should be "cricinfo journalist drank too much gin last night"

Least surprising squad announcement ever?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker! Empty Re: England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker!

Post by Liam Sun 15 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

Graham Onions has also been included that's why.

Liam

Back to top Go down

England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker! Empty Re: England forget to inlcude someone in their 13 man squad shocker!

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Jul 2012, 11:22 am

Well it's clear now that the team for Thursday will be:

Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, Bopara, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Finn.

When I think it should be:

Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Finn.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 15 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

On what basis do you think England will pick Finn ahead of Bresnan?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 15 Jul 2012, 5:02 pm

martyr wrote:Graham Onions has also been included that's why.

Right either way the article was a balls up.

Finn over Bresnan? Why would they change?
Do SA have a particular weakness against genuine pace?

I dont think anyone could be massively offended by whoever they choose, Bresnan has done exceptionally well as part of arguably the most successful (over and extended period of time) test bowling unit England have ever had. Finn has been lethal in limited overs games.
If anything its Broad and Anderson who should be looking over their shoulders...which shows how odd the assumption that Bresnan will be dropped is.

They may make the change, personally I dont think they will, although depending how things go they may for the second test. To say its "clear" the team will include Finn strikes me as ..odd.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:37 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
martyr wrote:Graham Onions has also been included that's why.

Right either way the article was a balls up.

Finn over Bresnan? Why would they change?
Do SA have a particular weakness against genuine pace?

I dont think anyone could be massively offended by whoever they choose, Bresnan has done exceptionally well as part of arguably the most successful (over and extended period of time) test bowling unit England have ever had. Finn has been lethal in limited overs games.
If anything its Broad and Anderson who should be looking over their shoulders...which shows how odd the assumption that Bresnan will be dropped is.

They may make the change, personally I dont think they will, although depending how things go they may for the second test. To say its "clear" the team will include Finn strikes me as ..odd.

Laugh

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:43 am

Fitness doubt over Bresnan is the biggest reason he may be "rested".

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:49 am

PSW, ludicrous comment about Broad and Anderson.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

Given the likely conditions I'd plump for Onions but I would have to ask myself 'what more does Finn have to do?' Quite a difficult decision

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

Don't suppose we could leave out Bresnan and Bopara and play both Onions and Finn?; 9, 10 and 11 don't look too clever though

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:55 am

bradman99.94 wrote:Don't suppose we could leave out Bresnan and Bopara and play both Onions and Finn?; 9, 10 and 11 don't look too clever though

Do you feel England's bowling needs strengthening?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

No need. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

bradman99.94 wrote:Given the likely conditions I'd plump for Onions but I would have to ask myself 'what more does Finn have to do?' Quite a difficult decision

Work on his batting Laugh

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm

Intersting point actually skyeman as I would suggest that if Finn could bat anywhere near as well as Bresnan that he would be a shoe-in.

@liverbriz.....We have a great attack of course but, not being a Bopara fan (I take my hat off to him over his recent performances though) I think there is more benefit to playing another potential match winner than a slightly better than a bits and pieces cricketer

I really can't wait for this series to start!! Very Happy

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

bradman99.94 wrote:Intersting point actually skyeman as I would suggest that if Finn could bat anywhere near as well as Bresnan that he would be a shoe-in.

Totally agree, mainly the reason why Bressy gets in ahead of Finn, the all-rounder role.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

Personally, I don't think Bresnan is in the team for his batting at all. England have had no qualms going with an attack of Anderson, Broad and Tremlett before as Broad and then Swann are an adequate 8 and 9 at Test level.

Bresnan is in the team because his performance with the ball these past 18 months have been excellent. Better than Anderson, better than Broad and better than Onions and Finn in their limited opportunities. He offers swing with the old ball and has very good control, both of which Finn does not offer, or at least to the same effectiveness of Bresnan.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:20 pm

liverbnz wrote:Personally, I don't think Bresnan is in the team for his batting at all. England have had no qualms going with an attack of Anderson, Broad and Tremlett before as Broad and then Swann are an adequate 8 and 9 at Test level.

Bresnan is in the team because his performance with the ball these past 18 months have been excellent. Better than Anderson, better than Broad and better than Onions and Finn in their limited opportunities. He offers swing with the old ball and has very good control, both of which Finn does not offer, or at least to the same effectiveness of Bresnan.

In the last 18 months, Tests. Broad 49 wkts, Anderson 46 wkts, Swann 47 wkts and Bresnan 30 wkts but with only Broad better than Bressy on ave and S/R.

So you do have a good point.

But with the form that Finn is showing at the moment, then surely the batting of Bresnan is a major factor.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down