The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs. Barbarians [England squad]

+7
doctor_grey
Geordie
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Glas a du
Driver
Cumbrian
11 posters

Go down

England vs. Barbarians [England squad] Empty England vs. Barbarians [England squad]

Post by Cumbrian Mon 23 May 2011, 12:22 pm

It looks like they are picking the Saxons with a few other players scattered through the squad. It is a really exciting team. I'm really happy that Brookes has chosen to play for England, he really has the potential to push Dan Cole all the way for both club and country.

England Squad v Barbarians
Forwards

Dave Attwood (Gloucester Rugby)
Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
Calum Clark (Northampton Saints)
Paul Doran-Jones (Gloucester Rugby)
Carl Fearns (Sale Sharks)
James Gaskell (Sale Sharks)
Joe Gray (Harlequins)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
Graham Kitchener (Worcester Warriors)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Matthew Mullan (Worcester Warriors)
Luke Narraway (Gloucester Rugby)
David Paice (London Irish)
Backs

Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Rory Clegg (Harlequins)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Paul Hodgson (London Irish)
Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks)
Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints)
James Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester Rugby)
Henry Trinder (Gloucester Rugby)
Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

England vs. Barbarians [England squad] Empty Re: England vs. Barbarians [England squad]

Post by Driver Mon 23 May 2011, 3:13 pm

Very young squad but filled with plenty of talent.

Disappointed to see Monye in there over Charlie Sharples and Clegg over Burns.

I think if Brookes and PDJ have good games Dave Wilson can kiss good bye to his england chances.

Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

England vs. Barbarians [England squad] Empty Re: England vs. Barbarians [England squad]

Post by Cumbrian Mon 23 May 2011, 3:23 pm

Agree about Sharples, he has been a player that I have kept an eye on this season, a big future awaits him. Perhaps the coaches didn't want too many young players involved.

Burns will get his chance, happy for Clegg though, he has been very good at times this season too.

I agree about Wilson too. He hasn't kicked on the way I expected him too with Bath. He's a good player, but PDJ is already better and Brookes has the potential to be better IMO.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 23 May 2011, 3:28 pm

I thought Dave Wilson would have moved onto bigger and better things when he left us but Bath seem to ruin front 5 forwards!

I can see Charlie Hodgson as captaining the side. Actually a bit disappointed that Mullen is there over Stevens thought he'd been turning out quite well for Saracens of late.

Looks like MJ is buying into the baa baas ethos of running rugby when you look at the squad and it's a fantastic game to make your international debut in.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 23 May 2011, 4:20 pm

Is it me, or is it a case of: "hang on the Quins have won the Amlin, they must have some really good players!"
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 23 May 2011, 6:49 pm

Chuffed to bit for Tom Johnson - just desserts after his efforts for the Chiefs this season Very Happy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 23 May 2011, 6:59 pm

Think england seem to be thinking of this as a 3rd XV game. I would back ugo monye for world cup. Other wingers have played better but monye would get the nod for the 11 shirt from me.

I'd have certainly gone for either Allen or Barritt at 12. Goode from Saracens would have been a good shout too.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 23 May 2011, 7:07 pm

I wouldn't have Monye anywhere near the RWC squad when we have Ashton , Strettle and Banahan as the out and out finishers in the squad.

Goode , Allen and Barritt have been omitted due to there involvement in the AP Final. I think he may look at them through the Churchill cup games and then bring them in the the RWC warm up squad.

Tom Johnson deserves his call up more than anyone else in the squad has had a fantastic season for the chiefs. I'v had him down as a RWC bolter for the last few months as he's an older haskell but has the brains for it.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 May 2011, 9:50 pm

Is Ojo injured? I thought he might have been worth a shout...or is he still in Jonos bad books.

A backrow of

6 Johnson
7 Fearns
8 Narraway

has the potential to be explosive....

Looking forward to the game

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 24 May 2011, 12:56 am

I like the make up of this group. Young and generally pretty fast.

But, just to hear the commentators screw up the names, I would like Paul Hodgson starting at 9 and Charlie Hodgson at 10.
Then I want James Simpson-Daniel playing right outside Jordan Turner-Hall.
Finally, I would like Lee Dickson and teven Myler playing at the same time.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 May 2011, 4:36 am

What are you, some sort of sadist?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Tue 24 May 2011, 7:16 am

I wouldn't have Monye anywhere near the RWC squad when we have Ashton , Strettle and Banahan as the out and out finishers in the squad.

Banahan? Come on the guy has very little rugby skills.

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 May 2011, 8:11 am

Do you find that you have too many decent players? By that I mean that if you pick to a style of play too many good players would lose out. Why not have Sackey and Strettle on the wings with Ashton at 13? Care, Geraghty, Fluety and Foden and hey presto a dangerous backline.

Last edited by Glas a du on Tue 24 May 2011, 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ffs!)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Tue 24 May 2011, 9:25 am

I have to say looking at the squad list initially one word came to mind 'excitement'. Yes it's a non-cap game, yes the final is on the week after, but it's at Twickenham and there is a chance they will get a pasting and in previous years I think conservativism would have won out.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the young guys kick on from some great seasons and play some fantastic baa baas players, in the main it can only be good for them.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 24 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Team I would like to see:

15. Mike Brown
14. Matt Banahan
13. Henry Trinder
12. Jordan Turner-Hall
11. James Simpson-Daniel

10. Charlie Hodgson
09. Lee Dickson

08. Carl Fearns
07. Calum Clarke
06. Tom Johnson
05. Graham Kitchener
04. Dave Attwood
03. Paul Doran-Jones
02. Joe Gray
01. Joe Marler

16. David Paice
17. Kieran Brookes
18. Matt Mullan
19. James Gaskell
20. Luke Narraway
21. Paul Hodgson
22. Rory Clegg
23. Ugo Monye

England really do seem to be developing a golden generation of front five players. Just looking at guys who are/ have been in the EPS/ Saxons there are:

Paul Doran-Jones (26), David Wilson (26), Matt Mullan (24), Dan Cole (23), Alex Corbisero (22), Joe Marler (20), Kieran Brookes (20),

Hooker:

Dylan Hartley (25), Rob Webber (24), Tom Lindsay (23), Joe Gray (22),

Second Row:

George Robson (25), Dave Attwood (24), Courtney Lawes (22), Graham Kitchener (21), James Gaskell (21)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 25 May 2011, 10:06 am

Gloucester Rugby No.8 Luke Narraway will captain England against the Barbarians at Twickenham Stadium on Sunday but Stuart Lancaster has delayed naming their team because of injury concerns.

Northampton Saints scrum half Lee Dickson was last night ruled out of Sunday’s game and next month’s Churchill Cup to have surgery on shoulder injury.

Head Coach Lancaster said: "We’ve also got a couple of other injuries to assess and we’ll have a look at some potential replacements in training today against the England Under 20 side. Another 24 hours will give us time to finalise the squad before we move to Pennyhill Park and train at Twickenham on Friday.

"Our preparations have gone well overall and we’re pleased to announce that Luke Narraway will captain the side which is a great reflection of the form and leadership qualities he’s demonstrated at Gloucester this season."

From RFU website

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 25 May 2011, 11:50 am

Glad to see Narraway back in the mix. Remember back in NZ where he really impressed me, and he seems to be getting back to that sort of form this year. How old is he? Could he take over the n°8 shirt from Easter post WC?

Pretty happy with the squad, it's clear that England are using this game to try out some of their fringe players, and whil eI believe Jonno knows most of his WC squad they're prob still a few places up for grabs if the likes of Attwood, Hodgson (Paul) or one of the hookers impress.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down