The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England-Scotland ODI Cancelled

+2
skyeman
Duty281
6 posters

Go down

England-Scotland ODI Cancelled Empty England-Scotland ODI Cancelled

Post by Duty281 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 7:04 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/scotland/content/story/573054.html

The meaningless ODI that was inconveniently placed between the 2nd and 3rd Tests of the current England-South Africa series has been cancelled due to flooding. I think that's good news for England as I didn't like the idea of Cook, Broad, Swann etc. being distracted before what could be a pivotal Test match.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England-Scotland ODI Cancelled Empty Re: England-Scotland ODI Cancelled

Post by skyeman Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

Meaningless in terms of rankings i agree, but meaningless in many otherways - NO definitely not.

This game when played is always a sellout because there are many Scots who love cricket and want to watch better players.
It gives the Scotland team and other staff pride to play at home against the bigger sides and a chance to impress.
There are many reasons as to why it is not meaningless.

As regards to when it was due to be played, i don't think that (apart from one or two) hardly any of the Test team would have played. As the case has been before.

Also it would give the likes of Stokes, Buttler and Bairstow a chance to improve their averages Laugh

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:36 pm

Skye - I agree with you that it's certainly not meaningless for England to bring cricket to remote and uncivilised parts of the world. Where better to start than Scotland? Wink

What was ridiculous about this planned fixture was the original scheduling. Clashing not only with the South Africa series but also an England Lions fixture which would have effectively meant England fielding their third eleven. That would have been even more insulting to Scotland than I can be!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Skye - I agree with you that it's certainly not meaningless for England to bring cricket to remote and uncivilised parts of the world. Where better to start than Scotland? Wink

What was ridiculous about this planned fixture was the original scheduling. Clashing not only with the South Africa series but also an England Lions fixture which would have effectively meant England fielding their third eleven. That would have been even more insulting to Scotland than I can be!

Laugh

Gb, but up here at least they can lay claim to many of the Worlds top inventions, oh and Andy Murray

Don't forget that i am a Greenwich boy (not quite as bad as an Essex boy) and am too always ribbing the locals. censored

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm

Often wondered - how many cricket pitches are there on the Isle of Skye? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 20 Jul 2012, 11:27 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Often wondered - how many cricket pitches are there on the Isle of Skye? Very Happy

Laugh

Take a guess.

But at least it as only rained here 4 days in the last 3 months. Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:33 am

Think it would of been a good game for those looking to impress. Bairstow, Buttler, Hales, Briggs, Tremlett etc.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:06 am

jimbohammers wrote:Think it would of been a good game for those looking to impress. Bairstow, Buttler, Hales, Briggs, Tremlett etc.

Yep. It was actually between the Lions matches so there is a chance that some of those players could have featured. Of course the Test boys would be rested. It would probably have been something like this:

ODI v Scotland: Carberry, Hales, Taylor, Morgan (c), Bairstow, Kieswetter (wk), Patel, Woakes, Tredwell, Finn, Dernbach

Lions v Australia A: Carberry, Root, Compton, Taylor (c), Morgan, Bairstow, Davies (wk), Woakes, Meaker, Onions, Panesar

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down