The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team GB

+16
Small Time
owen10ozzy
Super D Boon
mystiroakey
Steffan
Liam
djlovesyou
Jennifer1984
RinoGattuso
cherriesfna
The Special Juan
Duty281
Josiah Maiestas
Crimey
azania
compelling and rich
20 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Team GB - Page 4 Empty Team GB

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anybody watching this tripe?

EDIT: Apparently now the official 606v2 Team GB football thread!

Game on.

Last edited by FreekShow on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Team GB - Page 4 Empty Re: Team GB

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Small Time wrote:I probably would of looked towards Steve Bruce or Alan Curbishley (both have a decent record of getting the most out average players) if they had to be British........if they didn't have to be British I'd have gone for Klinsmann (he's plays an attacking style long forgotten in the international game)

He's also the USA Manager.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Apparently not. 1 - 1 with a bunch of thugs like Senegal has dis-proven that

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 pm

disproven what

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm

That the under 21 manager is best for the job.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:02 pm

its more about giving the manager more games- its a side show lad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Crimey wrote:
Small Time wrote:I probably would of looked towards Steve Bruce or Alan Curbishley (both have a decent record of getting the most out average players) if they had to be British........if they didn't have to be British I'd have gone for Klinsmann (he's plays an attacking style long forgotten in the international game)

He's also the USA Manager.

I don't suppose he'd drop the USA job for 3 month odd contract :S

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:05 pm

mystiroakey wrote:its more about giving the manager more games- its a side show lad

OK! It's all good. Well it's not but you know what I mean Sir.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Pearce is and always will be a fish out of water.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 pm

well lets see what he is like in 5 years time shall we. we hopefully will be given a decent run and then maybe take the main job

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:53 pm

i dont see what stuart pearce has ever done to bring on the under 21's though, there football like city and now gb were very defensive and always struggle to score. he may well have been the under 21's manager but what players realy came through while under him?

if were talking about bringing young players through why not give someone like dario gardi a shot, cant do much worse and has a proven track record in bringing through good youngsters with a very small club, instead we went with a ex player who had no track record what so ever (well city but the less said about that the better). its about time we drop this he's a ex player so let him be a manager. pearce,shearer etc all given big jobs without proving themselves at all

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:04 pm

So I take it that stuart pearce is the latest scapegoat then?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 pm

not a scape goat, nothing to complain about yet. Look, its a team that's been together for what, 2 games, surely we can't expect them to just go out there and gel straight away. Games will improve this side, like any side.

I actually thought they played all right against the nutters from Senegal last night. Played some nice football, kept it well against a side who have played together many times before and held them to a 1-1 draw. Not bad in my view.

Good performances from Cleverly, Butland, Caulker, Taylor (left footed LB playing RB for 1st time), Rose and Ramsey when he came on. There's allot to work on, especially at the back, but there's plenty of positives too and I'm sure if they can progress out of the group, the fans will really get behind them and then anything is possible.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 pm

He isnt for me Matyr- just for the arch typical english fans we have on this board

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:20 pm

i've always quite liked stuart pearce, not many could have done this job imo or rather were available to do a better job. When you have most U-21 players who are English, surely the man who is in charge of the England U-21 side is a sensible appointment.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 pm

I applaud him- I feel he is doing the best he can and he really seems to love the game and care. Is it his fault he has been given the job??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Uruguay have lost 2-0 to Senegal, which makes Team GB's result look pretty good.

If GB can beat UAE tonight, they'll be joint top with Senegal.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Quite a shock that. Uruguay were well fancied to win the whole thing. They still might mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Looks like Sturridge is on the bench tonight with Sordell starting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Which only highlights the fact that Pearce really should have brought a natural forward.

Darren Bent was fit in time, he would have been a better option. Or even Jordan Rhodes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm

1-1 now.

Sat back too early, really need to not do that.

Not feeling that confident with Sturridge who has looked poor in the tournament so far. I think he's far too selfish.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 am

Am glad to see the Welsh contingent helping England I mean team Team GB. What do you think Steffany?

I think Sturridge heard you there Crimey

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I think Sturridge heard you there Crimey

So selfish, shouldn't have gone for the chip, should have passed. Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Am glad to see the Welsh contingent helping England I mean team Team GB. What do you think Steffany?
Its 'Steffan'

I find it pretty pathetic England has a population of 50 million yet has relied on players from 'little old Wales' to keep the team afloat. Just goes to show how Wales with its whopping 3 million punches above its weight where as the mighty world beating country next door continues to underachieve in sport despite a massive population and good infrastructure

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Sorry Steff

Very true!

Shame 'little old Wales' cant qualify for a tournament on there own. They would be a force to be reckoned with

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 am

Steffan wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Am glad to see the Welsh contingent helping England I mean team Team GB. What do you think Steffany?
Its 'Steffan'

I find it pretty pathetic England has a population of 50 million yet has relied on players from 'little old Wales' to keep the team afloat. Just goes to show how Wales with its whopping 3 million punches above its weight where as the mighty world beating country next door continues to underachieve in sport despite a massive population and good infrastructure

To be fair Uruguay have a population of just 3.3 million and they reached a World Cup semi-final. I don't think it's always about population.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 am

Crimey if you think steffan wants a population debate with a message in that tone then more fool you

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 am

Crimey wrote:To be fair Uruguay have a population of just 3.3 million and they reached a World Cup semi-final. I don't think it's always about population.
I agree its not always about population but the fact we do not have a fully professional league and rugby is the national sport I think we are always going to be up against it in Wales. Anyway give it a few years and Fifa will make Team GB a permanent thing so there wont even be an England or Wales in football which is a shame

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

How can FIFA make team GB a perminant thing?

FiFA get 4 and the home countries get 4 votes that vote on changes to football. 6 votes are needed to make any change happen.

Not to mention how is it even gonna come to light in the first place when everyone in power says it will never happen. Jeas people are so paranoid. Personally I wouldnt mind it at all but there you go.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:28 am

Wales have reached a semi-final as well, while being one of the poorest countries in Europe (along with Albania) due to under-investment, at least until the Objective 1 (and 2) funding from the EU.

Steffan - I can't believe how little England fans seem to care about the potential abolishment of their team, to such an extent that they've even put the England team in a GB kit and taken any Welsh players that are better than the English players (like they've always wanted to do with Giggs, Bale and Rush).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 am

Smirnoff I suppose because it is still england with the odd welsh player., You dont mind when it comes to cricket do you?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 am

Mystiroakey - Blatter for years has been questioning why Britain has 4 lots of representation on the FIFA board, and why we compete as seperate nations. Other members of the board have questioned it as well. It's only when the London2012 team was mooted that Blatter did a u-turn and said competiting wouldn't matter. But then this is a guy who said he'd never have goal line technology in football, and that there was no corruption in FIFA, apologies if I don't trust him, as even if he's to be believed that there are no plans to only accept a British team, that essentially means he wasn't to be believed in previous statements questioning why we had 4 different teams.

And yes FIFA can force the issue, for a start they would decrease the representation on the FIFA board to that of 1 nation and would then only allow a team representing GB to participate in FIFA tournaments (remember FIFA controls who competes in tournaments such as the World Cup - that's how they banned Iraq from playing in it for awhile)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 am

Blatter will be gone soon pal- As much as i wouldnt mind a team GB, i dont want one at the cost of the fans(thats what matters - you guys that are passionate- not us English that dont really mind)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am

mystiroakey wrote:Smirnoff I suppose because it is still england with the odd welsh player., You dont mind when it comes to cricket do you?

Well the cricket side is called the English and Welsh cricket team and is representative of all professional players in England and Wales. So yes I can support that team as it's clearly a representative side.

But this Team GB side was wanted by LOGOC and the EFA, the other associations said they wanted nothing to do with it, so EFA came out and said it's going ahead anyway, the other associations said basically WTF, they sat down for a meeting with the EFA and couldn't reach an agreement, the EFA then came out and said an agreement had been reached, then put the England women's manager and England U21's manager in charge of the team, and after the other union's saying they wanted nothing to do with it and didn't want their players to play in it - Pearce chose Welsh players (ignoring all Scottish and NI players in a supposedly 'representative side').

I could support England (in a neutral half hearted way) when they play football in their own kit representing their own nation, but I ain't going to support England when they have the cheek to put on the GB shirt and play under the Union Jack while pretending to represent nations that wanted nothing to do with it.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am

"And yes FIFA can force the issue, for a start they would decrease the representation on the FIFA board to that of 1 nation"

Thing is they cant actually do that(can they?) due to the fact that no changes to the set up of football can be made unless 6 of the 8 vote for that change- Well that is my take on it anyway.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 am

"I could support England (in a neutral half hearted way) when they play football in their own kit representing their own nation, but I ain't going to support England when they have the cheek to put on the GB shirt and play under the Union Jack while pretending to represent nations that wanted nothing to do with it."

your welsh players want to be a part of it- Isnt that what matters?

there is also no cheek from the english- its an Olympics decision and good on them for fielding this team. And good on the welsh for taken part

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am

mystiroakey wrote:Blatter will be gone soon pal- As much as i wouldnt mind a team GB, i dont want one at the cost of the fans(thats what matters - you guys that are passionate- not us English that dont really mind)

I still can't believe that the madly passionate 'English barmy army' doesn't care about the possible loss of their team.
and Blatter doesn't matter, if you set a precedent then whoever is president of FIFA can use that as a case for saying 'well you've competed together once, you should be competing together everytime'.

And that's the point, and like so many other 'Blatter promises' this one will be forgotten, and won't be worth the back hander it's printed on

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 am

I think your getting paranoid smirnoff- FIFA have no say in this as i have explained - they only have half the votes anyway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:58 am

They do as they are the ones who accept registrations and are the governing body - they are definately the ones who control representation on the FIFA board.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:01 pm

They cant make a change unless two of our representatives also agree

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:02 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"I could support England (in a neutral half hearted way) when they play football in their own kit representing their own nation, but I ain't going to support England when they have the cheek to put on the GB shirt and play under the Union Jack while pretending to represent nations that wanted nothing to do with it."

your welsh players want to be a part of it- Isnt that what matters?

there is also no cheek from the english- its an Olympics decision and good on them for fielding this team. And good on the welsh for taken part

There's quite a few New Zealand players who want to be part of the England rugby team - I doubt that means that all New Zealand fans should support England, or want to be part of the England team. Same as just because Michael Owen wanted to represent England, doesn't mean we should do away with the Wales team and support England.

The Welsh/English/Scottish/Northern Irish teams are more important than individual players and their decisions.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:03 pm

But why would they anyway- There are surely not that bitter to try and force us into killing of our teams- thats just madness. Just because blatter speaks BS sometimes means nothing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:04 pm

But as I say they can reduce our representation easily (it's one of their main annoyances that Britain has so much representation, and they've been trying to reduce the Welsh representation for ages - I assume the same is true for the other nations as well).

And if they do that then it'll be easy to outvote the 'British' representation as FIFA will have more votes.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Why do you think you are supporting an english team- Just support the team GB- or dont. whats the issue pal?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:But as I say they can reduce our representation easily (it's one of their main annoyances that Britain has so much representation, and they've been trying to reduce the Welsh representation for ages - I assume the same is true for the other nations as well).

And if they do that then it'll be easy to outvote the 'British' representation as FIFA will have more votes.

they is no 'easily' about it- or they would have done it allready!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 pm

mystiroakey wrote:But why would they anyway- There are surely not that bitter to try and force us into killing of our teams- thats just madness. Just because blatter speaks BS sometimes means nothing

They want to because it's they see it as 1 nation (and 1 nation which isn't popular in FIFA higher echelons) taking up 4 spaces in FIFA competitions, and taking up 4 times as many spaces on the FIFA baord. And they feel these spaces could better go to other areas of the world. That is how they see it, they wouldn't see it as killing off teams, they see it that British players would still have a team to represent, but that FIFA would stop us having 4 teams representing Britain whereas other countries only have 1.

That's their opinion, my opinion is having a Wales team is essential and it represents my country Wales - I'd love a British and Irish Lions style team to represent my country Britain as well (or the UK) but FIFA don't see it the same way.

As you said we should ignore all the Blatter bulldoodie saying that playing as GB won't change anything, or his claims for the past decade saying that we should only have 1 team, as he's a sly old ***hole who can't be trusted. We should instead look at FIFA actions and statements from recent times and see that the above is how they view things.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:12 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:But as I say they can reduce our representation easily (it's one of their main annoyances that Britain has so much representation, and they've been trying to reduce the Welsh representation for ages - I assume the same is true for the other nations as well).

they is no 'easily' about it- or they would have done it allready!

We'll have to agree to disagree, but it's off the point of the thread, and I won't be supporting England, but I'll prob go and see a game or two in Cardiff (was hoping to see Brazil but missed them) I'll prob see the Bronze game, safe in the knowledge that England are playing too poorly to get there.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:14 pm

We played well last night pal(GB not england) Team GB - Page 4 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:We played well last night pal(england not GB) Team GB - Page 4 732107

Corrected that for you Wink

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:09 pm

It's not England at all, the team could have been full of Scottish players instead, or full of Welsh. Pearce selected who he felt were the best players, it just so happened that most were English, probably because he knew most about them.

I cannot see a Team GB ever being formed, there is no desire for it. It wouldn't benefit FIFA at all. Especially as outside of sport, the home nations are only getting further apart.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry I've read some rubbish from Welsh supporters on this thread. Its Team GB, let's stop this nonsense of 'Oh bascally all of them are English etc' its the same with allot of other olympic GB teams in other events, some will have more english than welsh etc..

Bellamy, Giggs, Allen, Taylor and Ramsey have shown Welsh football in a good light but they way I see it its Team GB not 'England'. Just seems needless digs at England. Stuart Pearce has worked with England U-21's, he's trying to win the tournament. He's obviously going to pick people he has worked with, its the right thing to do. Before Speed's untimely death, Allen, Ramsey, Taylor and Bellamy were on fire for Wales, they deserve to be there. Then you had to have Giggs obviously. Its great to see Wales being represented so well. People just need to wise up and stop this 'Its England not Team GB' nonsense.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next