The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golden Oldies

+2
time please
sirfredperry
6 posters

Go down

The Golden Oldies Empty The Golden Oldies

Post by sirfredperry Mon 23 Jul - 18:46

We have an ever-ageing hierarchy in tennis, with a near-31 year old at the top of the rankings and the guy who has won the most matches this season (Ferrer) also over 30.
Tommy Haas has won a final and just got to another final, and A-Rod, nearing 30, has just taken another title. The last teenager to win a title was Cilic in 2008.
I can think of at least eight titles won so far this season by 30-somethings. Does any one know the annual record ? I guess it could have been in the 70s or 80 when the likes of Rosewall and Connors were still doing well at advancing years.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

The Golden Oldies Empty Re: The Golden Oldies

Post by time please Mon 23 Jul - 19:19

It rather gives the lie to the assertion that the tour will burn you out long before you reach your thirties doesn't it sirfred?

Was it four or five thirty year olds in the last 16 at Wimbledon this year? Amazing!

While it is fantastic to see so many competing so well (way to go Tommy Haas OK ) and marvel that dogged little Ferrer can still play his exhausting game so well, I would really like to see some young guns begin to come up and challenge before too long.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 23 Jul - 19:27

Time Please. Well, some of the youngsters are making only slow progress although it's good to see Dimitrov doing a bit better now.
There's been plenty said about the physical nature of the tour these days and that this is preventing the younger players breaking through ealrier as thery are still growing into their bodies.
OK, you could ask that given the gruelling state of matches, how come so many of the older players are doing so well ? A possible answer comes from Fed. He may not be as fast as he was in his peak but he has said he is aware of just what his body is capable of now.
Twill be interesting to see just how high in the rankings Nadal and Djoko are when they reach 30 as these are a pair who have had matches as exhausting as possible over the last few months and both play an all-out game.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 23 Jul - 19:41

Was pleased to see Dimitrov reach semis in Gstaad and to lose to Belluci in two very tight sets. It is always fun to watch the next generation begin to challenge.

I think whether Djokovic or Nadal last until their thirties will depend on how many times they meet each other!!!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 23 Jul - 19:45

sfp - its's clear that the hierachy is "ever-ageing" but it's equally clear that the guys you mention are hardly the future of the sport, and that's why I've been saying in various previous posts that we really are in desperate need of some fresh blood to start making waves

The Haas win was very good but nevertheless an isolated one (first in 3 years) ; Roddick has been somewhat reserved when asked about his longer term playing commitment ; Ferrer is different - in fact perhaps unique almost, every indication he could go for ever, still winning regularly, the ultimate 'Duracell Man'

As for the oldest of all in the Top 20, the 31 year old (next week or so) and World Number One who has just taken top dog status from his much younger peers - there's still a part of me wondering whether he may call it a day sooner than many others (including the great man himself !!) believe he will. More family time, less travelling etc...? But I know I'm in the minority there.

Michael Chang, Boris Becker ..... where are you when needed ...? Erm

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 23 Jul - 19:55

Lags72. Re Fed's possible retirement time... In a recent interview he said he has pretty much mapped out his schedule for 2013 and there was even a suggestion that 2014 could be a possibility as well.
I know there's even been talk of his playing at the Olympics in Rio in 2016, but that may be going a bit far.
Reckon we've got a bit more of Rog for a little while yet. I suppose what the future needs is some 19-year-old coming along and beating him on centre court (shades of what he did to Pete in 2001).

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 23 Jul - 20:04

sirfredperry wrote:I suppose what the future needs is some 19-year-old coming along and beating him on centre court (shades of what he did to Pete in 2001).

It is absolutely what the future needs, for the young up and coming stars to challenge the best on the great courts.

At the moment we are in danger of seeing older and less brilliant players knocking out the big guns in a few years simply because they have far less tennis court miles on their bodies. And while that might be fun once in a while, it hardly guarantees the sport such a compelling future in the short term.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 23 Jul - 20:12

sfp : let's hope so. I do know that Sampras has said in various interviews that he felt burned out (or words very, very similar) when at the same age as his good friend Federer - exactly ten years ago. Whereas he talks of Fed looking much fresher, with continued enthusiasm for the Tour.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 23 Jul - 21:52

lags72 wrote:sfp : let's hope so. I do know that Sampras has said in various interviews that he felt burned out (or words very, very similar) when at the same age as his good friend Federer - exactly ten years ago. Whereas he talks of Fed looking much fresher, with continued enthusiasm for the Tour.

Here's an article with the relevant quote:

http://espn.go.com/tennis/wimbledon12/story/_/id/8136757/wimbledon-2012-pete-sampras-says-used-roger-federer-breaking-records

Note that Sampras says the only record he thinks he'll retain is 6 year end number ones... though it's a long shot, even that's up for grabs in 2012.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 24 Jul - 3:43

Lets not forget that Sampras has/had thalassemia (type of genetic anemia) which was always going to dog him as he got older. He was an "old" 30 really...just couldnt recover between matches anymore.

Goffin and Dimitrov - come on! Step up the plate!
I actually think Dimitrov is now starting to make some inroads...if he can toughen up physically he's a top 10er. Same with Goffin really, except maybe more like top 20.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 24 Jul - 4:58

reckoner wrote: ..................................................................................

Note that Sampras says the only record he thinks he'll retain is 6 year end number ones... though it's a long shot, even that's up for grabs in 2012.

reckoner - I know you're referring to the possibility* of Federer still holding the top spot come the end of the year, and thus making a total six.

But in fairness to Pete I assume he was talking about the fact that his six were consecutive (93-98), and that's the record which seems pretty safe for the forseeable

(*a very slim possibility, sure ; but then a few months ago I'm sure you could have got very generous odds on a 7th Wimby title + return to Number one .... Wink )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 24 Jul - 5:29

time please wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:I suppose what the future needs is some 19-year-old coming along and beating him on centre court (shades of what he did to Pete in 2001).

It is absolutely what the future needs, for the young up and coming stars to challenge the best on the great courts.

At the moment we are in danger of seeing older and less brilliant players knocking out the big guns in a few years simply because they have far less tennis court miles on their bodies. And while that might be fun once in a while, it hardly guarantees the sport such a compelling future in the short term.
It would be wonderful for the torch to be passed in that way. That 2001 match seems almost mythical now; the venue, the ages, even the epic scoreline!

Yes, that's a fitting way for the old king to be deposed. Let's hope it is so. But not just yet.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down