The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Cricket in the Olympics!

+3
guildfordbat
Shelsey93
gboycottnut
7 posters

Go down

No Cricket in the Olympics! Empty No Cricket in the Olympics!

Post by gboycottnut Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

Does anyone feel disappointed that one of England's supposedly major sports the game of Cricket is not in the London 2012 Olympics?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

No Cricket in the Olympics! Empty Re: No Cricket in the Olympics!

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

There are pros and cons to the 'Cricket in the Olympics' debate.

In theory it would be great, particularly for the women's game and the Associates. In practice the ICC wouldn't want to sanction a tournament from which they don't benefit financially and potentially weaken the appeal of their events. Of course, at least for men from Full Members, the schedule is busy as it is. Qualification would also be a potential issue, and of course England would have to combine with Scotland and half the Irish team (which would be a bit strange), Ireland would lose its Northern Irish players and the Windies would have to split (which I doubt they would like as it would set a dangerous precedent).

Overall I feel that the Games should be the pinnacle of any Olympians career - for that reason I wouldn't support Olympic cricket (and think that football and tennis are two of the weaker Olympic sports).

However, it is clear that being an Olympic sport would, as I say, be a fantastic platform for the women's game and cricket in the Associates. It would make funding more accessible, and encourage cricket to be a targeted sport in the way that most Olympic sports are, rather than considered a bit of a British Empire past-time, much as we ridicule American Football and Baseball.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

Wasn't Baseball included in the 1992 or the 1996 Olympic Games as a demonstration sport with no professionals allowed to take part?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 Jul 2012, 8:55 am

Shelsey93 wrote:There are pros and cons to the 'Cricket in the Olympics' debate.

In theory it would be great, particularly for the women's game and the Associates. In practice the ICC wouldn't want to sanction a tournament from which they don't benefit financially and potentially weaken the appeal of their events. Of course, at least for men from Full Members, the schedule is busy as it is. Qualification would also be a potential issue, and of course England would have to combine with Scotland and half the Irish team (which would be a bit strange), Ireland would lose its Northern Irish players and the Windies would have to split (which I doubt they would like as it would set a dangerous precedent).

Overall I feel that the Games should be the pinnacle of any Olympians career - for that reason I wouldn't support Olympic cricket (and think that football and tennis are two of the weaker Olympic sports).

However, it is clear that being an Olympic sport would, as I say, be a fantastic platform for the women's game and cricket in the Associates. It would make funding more accessible, and encourage cricket to be a targeted sport in the way that most Olympic sports are, rather than considered a bit of a British Empire past-time, much as we ridicule American Football and Baseball.

Shelsey - very fair and balanced comments.

I particularly agree with your sentiments about football and tennis. For me, these two sports just don't do themselves justice at the Olympics.

PS I hope your family didn't chatter too much during the opening ceremony.

PPS There is a public lunch for Ramps at the Oval on 15 August if you want to treat your mum. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 31 Jul 2012, 9:50 am

agree on tennis and football to an extent, it started out as an all U23 tournament? idea being it was the youngsters chance to shine.

Golf is also entering the olympics in Rio.... Why?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

Glad there is no knock out format in the Olympics, just another one for s to "choke in" Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

Seem to remember cricket being in the Commonwealth games - 1998?

But no, don't want it in the Olympics. The pinnacle of the sport argument as mentioned by others is the reason for me. And the reason why I don't think Tennis, Football and Road Cycling should be in, especially when a sport such as Squash misses out.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:30 pm

Just checked that and it was 1998 Kuala Lumpar Games.

And who calls SA chokers? They are the reigning (and only ever) Commonwealth Games Champions!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm

We are?

Geez, completely forgot that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

im glad there's no cricket in the olympics...olympics used to be for amateurs however any sport is allowed in now Sad

dont put cricket in the olympics!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:PS I hope your family didn't chatter too much during the opening ceremony.

They didn't even put it on! (must have been the only place in the country that didn't...) Meant staying up to 2am to watch it when we got it, and then having to play cricket the next day. Didn't stop me making my highest score of the season though.. Yahoo

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Thu 02 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

To be honest Cricket isn't really truly Global enough for the Olympics, Maybe T20 at a push.

It would be a much better fit in the Commonwealth Games, as virtually every team from all the World T20 tournaments bar Holland and Afghanistan would be in.

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down