The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will win the QB camp battles?

+6
CFCNick
crazy_dave23
BamBam
Thomond
GurTPL
Derbyblue
10 posters

Go down

Who will win the QB camp battles? Empty Who will win the QB camp battles?

Post by Derbyblue Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

Arizona Cardinals

Kevin Kolb vs. John Skelton
Winner: Kevin Kolb

Last year the Cardinals signed Kolb to a big contract and he failed to deliver, however the lockout last year cut down his chances of having a successful year plus a number of injuries meant he only played 9 games. It’s not just the contract that makes me think Kolb wins the starting spot, in 2011 he was more accurate than Skelton, had a better TD:INT ratio, a slightly better average and a better QB rating. Plus on top of that it was reported that Fitzgerald threw his weight around to get Arizona to bring in Kolb, I doubt he will give up on that after just the one injury hit season and with the addition of Floyd the Cardinals really have some weapons that will help Kolb really show how good he is.

Read the rest here: http://v2journal.com/who-will-win-the-quarterback-battles.html

Last edited by Derbyblue on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Who will win the QB camp battles? Empty Re: Who will win the QB camp battles?

Post by GurTPL Wed 01 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

Agree with almost all of those... but I think Locker gets the nod over Hasselbeck.

I will also add that, in the case of Kolb and Weeden, IMO they will be given the starting job regardless of whether or not they actually "win" the competition in camp - the coaches have high picks/large contract & trade to justify to their owners. I think that will play a minor part in Locker too, but I think Locker will win out regardless, whereas the other two... I'm not so sure.

Also, THANK YOU for omitting the Jets. You don't have a QB competition betwen a quarterback and a fullback/H-back with delusions of quaterbacking grandeur.

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:14 pm

I would agree with that about Kolb and Weeden, just because in Cleveland's case if they start McCoy and he looks to be improved they'll get a lot of rubbish for wasting a draft pick when there's still holes on the team, it's probably the same with the Cardinals as they gave DRC and a second to get Kolb and then a huge contract. I wanted McCoy to get a fair shot at the starting spot and did write a piece before the season ended saying they shouldn't add a quarterback because I wanted to see him given a real chance, but I would think that despite what he's been saying he must have always felt he wouldn't get to start week 1 unless there were injuries.

Well like I said I think Hasselbeck could retain the job and I don't think another year learning will hurt Locker, but also I do see benefits of starting Locker, the division will be wide open I think for a few years so getting adapted to the league will help him. Hasselbeck took them to 9-7 with Johnson not being his best and Britt going down in week 3 so I think he would keep them above 8-8.

I didn't mention it as I really don't see any competition there, Tebow may have a use on some trick plays but I don't see any challenge for Sanchez unless he really messes up.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm

Weeden should be alright with a guy like Richardson there and the Browns defence I think they improve a fair bit this season.

Agree with all the others bar Locker who I think wins he looked very promising. Skelton is a bit hit and miss, Kolb wasn't great but he has more than Larry Fitz now so should come on after a full off season too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:53 pm

I agree with most of those but reckon Locker will start the season. Their offence has some serious potential with guys like Johnson, Jared Cook, Kendall Wright and that knucklehead Britt. I don't think Hasselbeck is the man to get them moving.

I can't see them beating the Texans to the top of the AFC South, and the AFC in general is probably too strong for a wildcard slot, so I would definitely start Locker if it was up to me

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:12 pm

bambamwillis wrote:I agree with most of those but reckon Locker will start the season. Their offence has some serious potential with guys like Johnson, Jared Cook, Kendall Wright and that knucklehead Britt. I don't think Hasselbeck is the man to get them moving.

There has been talk this week of Locker starting to move ahead of Hasselbeck. The bosses want it to happen because he is the potential "franchise QB" so I believe it will happen

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
bambamwillis wrote:I agree with most of those but reckon Locker will start the season. Their offence has some serious potential with guys like Johnson, Jared Cook, Kendall Wright and that knucklehead Britt. I don't think Hasselbeck is the man to get them moving.

There has been talk this week of Locker starting to move ahead of Hasselbeck. The bosses want it to happen because he is the potential "franchise QB" so I believe it will happen
I suppose that is true, he was drafted to be their franchise QB and he's already been the back up for a year, so he'll probably get his shot soon. Don't really see them winning the division either way so I guess they may as well start Locker who has the potential to improve.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

I'm a huge believer in Jake Locker as Titans starter. He'll be a definite upgrade on Hasselbeck.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:49 pm

Derby: "Hasselbeck"
Everyone else: "Locker"

Then, this: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/237530017645608961

(Just ribbing ya buddy :P )

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:55 pm

Oh well! There's a chance I'm wrong on plenty of the others too, seems like only Weeden could really be safe in winning/keeping the starting job out of those I chose.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 21 Aug 2012, 9:30 am

Miami have announced Tannehill will be their starter next year as of yesterday - or at least that's when I saw it!

I was impressed with him vs Tampa Bay, but I still thought he'd be given a season to watch Garrard or Moore. With Garrard injured and Moore a little off I guess they want to pull the trigger now.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

Well at least I wasn't the only one wrong with the Dolphins pick.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:44 pm

sodhat wrote:Miami have announced Tannehill will be their starter next year as of yesterday - or at least that's when I saw it!

I was impressed with him vs Tampa Bay, but I still thought he'd be given a season to watch Garrard or Moore. With Garrard injured and Moore a little off I guess they want to pull the trigger now.
I think getting NFL game experience has more benefits than not. I'm sure the likes of Newton, Dalotn, Gabbert and Ponder will be better for playing last season. It will be interesting to see how Gabbert and Ponder do in relation to Jake Locker.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm

Cardinals choose to start Skelton

Go me! 4 out of 5 wrong, I had hoped to be at least right on most of them!

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:45 pm

I wouldn't worry Derby, the NFL is an unpredictable place. That's what makes it fun why we all love it so much. I've just read the article for the first time (sorry!!!) and the only one I would have disagreed with at the time was Tennessee. I just felt they would give Locker the keys this year especially after the success last year of young QBs like Newton and Dalton. I could maybe have seen Tannehill starting Miami simply cos the alternatives weren't great so you might as well see what the rookie has got. I'd defo have gone with Kolb, Weeden and Flynn as the others. If anyone says they thought Wilson would start for Seattle then they're lying!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:54 pm

Does it not say a lot about Flynn that he has not got the starting job for Seattle? I mean he was meant to be the next Rodgers right Cherries Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down