The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Day 9 Thread

+25
I hate fish
carrieg4
break_in_the_fifth
monty junior
JuliusHMarx
invisiblecoolers
Jahu
Josiah Maiestas
CAS
laverfan
Tropicalfruiter
Good Golly I'm Olly
banbrotam
barrystar
polished_man
Danny_1982
reckoner
CaledonianCraig
eirebilly
socal1976
bogbrush
time please
yloponom68
summerblues
The Special Juan
29 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Olympic Day 9 Thread - Page 5 Empty Olympic Day 9 Thread

Post by The Special Juan Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Centre Court: Hlavackova/Hredecka v Williams/Williams for Gold then Federer v Murray for Gold then Azarenka/Mirnyi v Murray/Robson for Gold

Court 1: Del Potro v Djokovic for Bronze then Huber/Raymond v Kirilenko/Petrova for Bronze then Bryan/Raymond v Kas/Lisicki for Bronze
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Day 9 Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympic Day 9 Thread

Post by barrystar Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:53 pm

Murray was dead peed at losing that - his duffed return in the tie-breaker might have made the whole difference.....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:53 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:think i've seen enough to know Laura Robson will never make it in tennis.

Net skills are beyond tragic, serve is like dementieva's.

She cannot play tennis for longer than 1 set. Sad

Really? I completely disagree. She has problems with her movement, serve and is way too flashy at the moment, but she has power off both wings and I think she has top 20 ability.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:55 pm

I hate fish wrote:Laura should use the same fitness coach Andy used, in each game she was dead after a set and a half.
to have great fitness you need to have defensive mindset, Laura doesn't know how to defend properly.

She won't make it.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Time and again laura plays gr8 first set and forgets the match is more than a set and gives up physically as well as mentally.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:02 pm

Congrats to Kirilenko/Petrova for Bronze in Doubles.

Mirnyi/Azarenka, well done.

As Federer said, Tennis should be grateful to International Olympic Committee to allow professionals to compete at the Games.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:03 pm

She's mentally and physically not as good as she can be, but we all saw how she played first set. It was brilliant. She has years to work at maintaining that level for a whole match, and improve the serve and movement.

She is a rough diamond that needs polishing, but the raw ability is there.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

It's not so much about the tournament Murray has won (although it is brilliant for a GB athlete to win a gold medal on CC), it's about who he's beaten and how he's beaten them.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:11 pm

Congrats to murray and del po they were the two underdogs and Del Po winning the biggest thing he has won since the USO on a weaker surface spells well for his future success.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:15 pm

Murray will be on a plane to Toronto. I wouldn't bet against him winning it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:19 pm

The Special Juan wrote:It's not so much about the tournament Murray has won (although it is brilliant for a GB athlete to win a gold medal on CC), it's about who he's beaten and how he's beaten them.

Absolutely - and that he won a Bo5 final at a slam venue with a huge audience in and outside the Court.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

socal1976 wrote:Congrats to murray and del po they were the two underdogs and Del Po winning the biggest thing he has won since the USO on a weaker surface spells well for his future success.

Very gracious socal. OK

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

Well done Andy! Olympic Champion!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:38 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Murray will be on a plane to Toronto. I wouldn't bet against him winning it.
Hope so! With Federer & Nadal passing its being handed to Djokovic,
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Congrats to murray and del po they were the two underdogs and Del Po winning the biggest thing he has won since the USO on a weaker surface spells well for his future success.

Very gracious socal. OK

Yes I really thought it was great for the sport Murray winning on home soil very nice after all the tough losses he has absorbed in the finals and semis of major events.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:41 pm

Nadal won't be fully fit for a couple of tournaments once he returns from injury, plus he's missing Toronto, so is there anyway Murray can get to Number 3 before the USO?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:56 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:So now the Olympics, a tournament with no tennis history whatsoever, no prize money and until yesterday snubbed by most top players, has suddenly gotten to a rank close to the WTF only because Muzza has won it?? Who said that idiocy, and by the way, who feels entitled to rewrite the history of tennis and on what grounds?

what a load of crap Doh

JK

1) This Olympics was seen as above the WTF by the GOAT - simply because it's a once in four year event and Rafa won it last time
2) Murray winning it hasn't elevated it one bit - it was already elevated. Just see the reaction to DP's Bronze

A tournament is quite honestly worth what the player put into it. Obviously a Slam is a Slam and all the players aspire to that. But you've had players here potentially ruining their US Open or / ranking points due to being knackered for the US summer Masters / Open swing

If it's such low prestige, why did Roger and particularly the increasingly tired Novak even bother

Even Mac has the grace to see that The Olympics means more now than it did 24 years ago. It's arrogant of you and others to decide that it's not

That's exactly what you are getting all wrong: tournaments, are not defined by the reactions of players. The real big events, that are the four slams and the WTF are well above individual players' reaction: players should feel honoured to play in them and not the contrary, and if they don't, nothing changes regarding the profile of those events. The reason is simple if you think about it: it's tradition and prestige that make these tournaments great or more simply it's beacause of the unwritten rules of tennis (which btw are recognized by the ATP score system). Now, wanting to rewrite the rules of tennis seems to me rather arrogant, not the contrary.

That said and provided that I am not at all a fan of tennis at the Olympics, I think this achievement is relevant for Murray: a player who has so far succeded mainly in winning at the Master 1000 events, can certainly add more to his CV with a win at the Olympics on home soil, rather than adding up further Master 1000s to the pre-existent list.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

Special Juan, I am not quite certain but I think Andy would have to win both Toronto and Cincy and Nadal would have to do somewhat poorly in Cincy. Anything else (unless he also enters Winston-Salem) I think will not be enough.

But what's the point of chasing that anyway? There is nothing too special about being No #3 going into the USO. If anything, he should take it easy in Toronto and make sure he is ready for the USO. He should aim to play well week in and week out, and focus on big tourneys. If he does that succesfully, the ranking will take care of itself.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:15 pm

summerblues wrote:Special Juan, I am not quite certain but I think Andy would have to win both Toronto and Cincy and Nadal would have to do somewhat poorly in Cincy. Anything else (unless he also enters Winston-Salem) I think will not be enough.

But what's the point of chasing that anyway? There is nothing too special about being No #3 going into the USO. If anything, he should take it easy in Toronto and make sure he is ready for the USO. He should aim to play well week in and week out, and focus on big tourneys. If he does that succesfully, the ranking will take care of itself.

I agree completely, it doesn't change the draw he'd get at the USO. I think he'd get a huge mental boost from it going into Flushing Meadows though, but as long as he keeps himself injury free he'll have a good chance.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

Spoiler:
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

Surprised yes, unhappy: not at the least.

Clearly the weather conditions played a huge role in falthering the more accurate and classy shotmaking of the Swiss, likewise it happened the day before. Federer also looked as he was bothered by the crawds and, generally, not keen to play this final at all. He continuosly checked his watch during the changing ends and engaged in digressive conversations with the people around his bench. I also got the feeling at some stage he asked to the umpire at what time the match was finished.

So, all in all, I am surprised by this result, yes, but I am not unhappy about it to say the least.
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

Federer has pre-USO 180 + 90 to defend. 90 will become 0 after 20 Aug, so 11,435 - 180 - 90 = 11,165

Djokovic has 11,270 - 1000 - 600 = 9,670.

Nadal has 8,905 - 180 - 10 = 8,715

Murray has 8,120 - 1000 - 10 = 7,110.

If Murray wins Canada, he can gain 1000 which will give him 8,110. Nadal still has a +500 points cushion.

If Nadal withdraws from Cinci and Murray wins Cinci, or something to offset the differential of +500, they can be close. There are other permutations as well. As SB says, Winstom-Salem is a 250 and if Murray wants to play a maniacal pre-USO HC, he can be close. I am certain he wants to be fresh for USO.

The 3 vs 4 ranking makes very little difference to the USO draw. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

Wow, very well done LF clap Good work as always. I don't think Murray will do it but it will be a nice boost for him if he could.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm

A YE#3 is a much more likely scenario for Murray.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 05 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

Overjoyed.

Gutted I missed Andy's finest moment due to work but delighted for Andy. In the space of four weeks he has turned tears of despair into tears of joy after annihilating Roger Federer in straight sets. People will try to sullen the win claiming it is not an important title in tennis terms but I say this.....Andy can tell his kids and grandkids that he is an Olympic Champion. Has a somewhat sweeter ring to it than saying you won the World Tour Final. Andy has also got that monkey off his back about never having beaten Roger in a best of five match and surely gives him an overdose in self-belief. Even now if he never wins a slam he can proudly say he is an Olympic Champion. So pleased for Andy as he has went through the mill in previous big crunch matches so for him to bounce back to strike gold takes a mighty character. Well done Andy and commiserations Roger.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

federer would of tried harder if it was Djokovic on the other side of the net Sad

i bet he agreed to drop this match to Murray for the nice gift in Wimbledon. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:41 pm

Least we can say Murray is better than Troicki now Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

Davis Cup >> Olympics.

Serious tournament >> 1 in 4 years cr4pshoot.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:56 pm

DC serious? Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

Every DC match is bo5. Takes more effort to win. Wink

bo3 over bo5 are you serious? Sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:16 pm

The DC has been weakened over the years with players picking when and how they participate.

Not sure many would skip the Olympics. Also the final was 5 sets Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

Olympics tennis only started in 1988, DC has far more history behind it for tennis. Deny it all you wish. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:20 pm

DC is only valid if you have more than 1 good player per country. That's why Spain practically own the trophy these days.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

Tennis at the Olympics begun in 1896 and experience a hiatus from the Olympic games.

Not denying at all. Olympic Gold beats DC each time. Half the time the players participating rely on the better players to win Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:32 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Tennis at the Olympics begun in 1896 and experience a hiatus from the Olympic games.

Not denying at all. Olympic Gold beats DC each time. Half the time the players participating rely on the better players to win Wink
Murray is the mens Dementieva. Not good enough for slams but won a Gold on his fav surface notworthy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:33 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Tennis at the Olympics begun in 1896 and experience a hiatus from the Olympic games.

Murray is the mens Dementieva. Not good enough for slams but won a Gold on his fav surface notworthy

We shall see once his career comes to a close.

Anyhow good to see Dolgopolov win the US tinpot event Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:

We shall see once his career comes to a close.

Anyhow good to see Dolgopolov win the US tinpot event Ok!

Oh that means he over achieved for the season, nothing more we can expect of Dolgo till next season.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:44 pm

LF

Just to add to your sums, Murray could go to number 3 next week if he wins in Canada (not likely, but...), but would then drop behind Nadal again unless he defended Cinci (haven't checked, but a losing final would make it close). So it's very unlikely he will be ahead of Nadal in the rankings by USO.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5