The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits

3 posters

Go down

NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits Empty NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits

Post by GSC Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f3b4fe/article/nfl-wants-to-divert-300-million-from-firstround-contracts?module=HP_headlines

Interesting plan, interesting also to see how the NFLPA responds to it. Could be a ploy to split the union somewhat.

I also read that the NFL plans to propose reducing salaries of rookies that hold out into camp. Hard to see the NFLPA going for that though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits Empty Re: NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits

Post by Derbyblue Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

I think forcing it to be 5 years in the first round and 4 for rounds 2-7 for contract length is one most one be happy with. I would have suggested rounds 1-3 have to be 4 years for contract length, and then 3 years for rounds 4-7, and then a maximum of 3 years for undrafted free agents. For the rookie wages maybe have it on different scales for picks 1-10, 11-20 and 21-32, then have bonuses set at certain levels.

Last edited by Derbyblue on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits Empty Re: NFL proposes to redistribute $300m of rookie salaries to vets/players benefits

Post by BamBam Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm

I think 4 or 5 years is still far too long to cap the first rounders salaries. For example, Adrian Peterson or Joe Thomas wouldn't be able to get paid properly until this season if we were to have the 4 year rule, despite showing that they are arguably the best in their positions in the NFL. 5 years would be even worse, someone like Mario Williams or Ngata is in the same position.

3 years capped seems the best compromise, maybe with the next 2 years being either a team or player option. 1st 3 years protect the team, next 2 years protect the player

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:47 pm

I imagine teams will be happy to negotiate new deals approaching the start of year 4 etc if the player has earned it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down