The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch Needs an Opponent, But Who?

+12
Lance
AlexHuckerby
trottb
two_tone
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
alanqlm
milkyboy
Seanusarrilius
CDSPHeron
BoxingFan88
Rowley
davidemore
16 posters

Go down

Froch Needs an Opponent, But Who?  Empty Froch Needs an Opponent, But Who?

Post by davidemore Thu 9 Aug - 5:47

Top three possibles for Froch now that 'Tommy Gun' has bottled it.

1. Kelly Pavlik:

Kelly would be a great fight, but i feel it wont happen as Kelly doesn't want to travel. But why should Carl? He deserves another hometown fight after so many away. Carl would dust him anyway, IMO, and Pavlik still needs improvement, although he has really improved of late.

2. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikel Kessler:

A great fight waiting to happen. But let's not wait too long as the great Dane is a little shot and could soon be found out, IMO.

3. George Groves:

He's too ripe to face Carl's power, but would be up for it, IMO. Still, Warren isn't daft, and there is no way Groves is going in with Froch just yet.

Who does this leave? Degale? No chance, he doesn't pack power and Carl knows it. How about Stielglitz? Now that fight would sell, but will he leave Germany? No way will Hearn let his fighter go to Germany for a ruck. Anyway, the German is taking on Arthur soon anyway.

HELP!!!!! We need a Carl Froch opponent named soon so we can see his greatness once again.

Yours Eternally,

emore

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Froch Needs an Opponent, But Who?  Empty Re: Froch Needs an Opponent, But Who?

Post by Rowley Thu 9 Aug - 7:10

Kessler would be the best choice but I don't see it happening, the reports I have read suggests he wants too much to come to England and given you are looking at Autumn at the earliest holding the fight outdoors is not particularly viable. Still would not be averse to Pavlik, carries a bit of a name and can be good to watch and whilst he is no gimme he should be beatable and nobody could begrudge Carl a fight that is not a 50-50 after the run he has had.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 9 Aug - 7:18

Not sure there isn't many people who would fancy it, I don't think Froch should have to travel, since he will probably get jobbed out of a decision.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by CDSPHeron Thu 9 Aug - 8:10

It's been reported that he'll fight Thomas Oosthuizan (20-0-1) but personally l wouldn't mind a rematch will Dirrell. First fight was a controversial split decision, it would sell in America and their's a history and alittle neddle between the two fighters. However it's unlikely Dirrel would fancy his chances again in Nottingham so I'd be happy with Pavlik.

CDSPHeron

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 9 Aug - 12:21

Oosthuizan turned him down for a shobox fight. He knows he is a little green I think. Forch would be mad to tackle Dirrell again and I think he knows it. Fight would stink and Dirrell would not come back to Notts again anyway. Horrid clash of styles the first time

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 9 Aug - 16:53

davidemore wrote: We need a Carl Froch opponent named soon so we can see his greatness once again.

davide, you sound like froch, talking in the third person...

"true greatness come's round maybe once in a generation... ali, robinson, froch, naturally supremely talented athletes with true warrior spirit. Of course ali and robinson couldnt live with the power of carl froch. Don't get me wrong, they're all time greats, but just not as all time great as carl froch"

I digress, given the most interesting fights at super look non-starters, pavlik would seem the most interesting of the remnant

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu 9 Aug - 19:15

May well just be waiting for the winner of Stevenson v George fight next week.
One will become his mandatory could fight them in November realistically and get it outta the way.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu 9 Aug - 19:29

I agree but seeing as he is struggling for an opponent and will want to keep his belt could see him just taking it for a fight at home.

Lets be honest he is gonna sell out anywhere in Nottingham no matter who he fights.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 9 Aug - 19:29

If Froch needs to fight a world class opponent in another country then I think thats what he should do.

Froch vs Pavlik at MSG would be a big seller.

[quote] Not sure there isn't many people who would fancy it, I don't think Froch should have to travel, since he will probably get jobbed out of a decision. [quote]

The above quote is ridiculous by the way!! When has Froch EVER got jobbed and what suggests he will if he travels now!!??. In fact he almost jobbed Ward in the Super 6 final with those two close scorecards.

If nobody wants to come to Nottingham then he should get his suitcase packed again. Its business.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu 9 Aug - 20:07

Wasn't it the British judge who scored the fight accurately and the two yanks who made a mess of it? You would think it would have been the other way round so don't think he can have any complaints of being jobbed anywhere as yet. He lost to Kessler (close, but still lost), lost to Ward and should have been a lot further behind and probably gifted the decision over Dirrell. Don't get me wrong Froch is one of my favourite fighters but he has never been on the wrong end of a scorecard depsite all his travelling.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 9 Aug - 20:14

two_tone wrote:Wasn't it the British judge who scored the fight accurately and the two yanks who made a mess of it? .

Think that might have had something to do with the Khan fight the week before. Maybe America did not wanting to be seen to be shafting British boxers? Whatever the reason, they were shocking cards.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 9 Aug - 20:23

Froch should not fight Dirrell again it was boring the first time, although I think he would do much better this time.

Dirrell was running all night, there is a difference between boxing and running.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 9 Aug - 20:26

Just because it hasn't happened before, doesn't mean it won't happen. Froch has paid his dues and if he wants to fight in front of his home fans then he should be allowed to.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 9 Aug - 21:09

Froch is bigger in America than he is here.

Dirrell is not viable as he would spend the whole time rolling about on the floor looking for his dummy again.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 9 Aug - 22:44

BoxingFan88 wrote:Just because it hasn't happened before, doesn't mean it won't happen. Froch has paid his dues and if he wants to fight in front of his home fans then he should be allowed to.

So? That arguement can be used for any of Froch's opponents coming to Nottingham. Why should they travel when they could get robbed. In fact, why should ANY fighter travel!!!!!!!???? They could get robbed!!!!!

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 10 Aug - 2:14

dirrell is an awful fight for froch. many he thought he lost the first fight and dirrell seemed to start slowly and lack self belief. if dirrell turned up believing he had carls number he could win it very handily. pavlik would be a great fight. not sure if pavlik has the same power at super middle but hes tough as nails. not sure if carl could stop him and would expect a 12 round slugfest that is sure to be entertaining.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 10 Aug - 2:34

Not sure about your prediction for a Dirrell rematch. He's barely fought since then and Froch has improved quite a bit.

A bad style for him, but we've seen how Dirrell reacts under pressure and Carl would be better prepared to apply it second time around.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 10 Aug - 2:55

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Just because it hasn't happened before, doesn't mean it won't happen. Froch has paid his dues and if he wants to fight in front of his home fans then he should be allowed to.

So? That arguement can be used for any of Froch's opponents coming to Nottingham. Why should they travel when they could get robbed. In fact, why should ANY fighter travel!!!!!!!???? They could get robbed!!!!!

Well the obvious answer would be Froch has a world title belt and his likely opponent won't have one, given most fighters would like to win a world title perhaps on them to put themselves out a little.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 10 Aug - 3:08

rowley wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

Well the obvious answer would be Froch has a world title belt and his likely opponent won't have one, given most fighters would like to win a world title perhaps on them to put themselves out a little.

Pretty much read my mind, my point was why should Froch have to risk it, he has paid his dues in the sport. Mind you world titles are pretty much meaningless now anyway =).

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 10 Aug - 3:24

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Not sure about your prediction for a Dirrell rematch. He's barely fought since then and Froch has improved quite a bit.

A bad style for him, but we've seen how Dirrell reacts under pressure and Carl would be better prepared to apply it second time around.

possibly, but its always going to be a difficult fight for carl against a guy with no momentum and not too many fans. i think its a highly unlikely match up either way

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 10 Aug - 5:39

Lance wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Not sure about your prediction for a Dirrell rematch. He's barely fought since then and Froch has improved quite a bit.

possibly, but its always going to be a difficult fight for carl against a guy with no momentum and not too many fans. i think its a highly unlikely match up either way

True, and that's probably a good thing given that it's the least exciting possibility.

Hearn negotiating with the rapping man laughing

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 10 Aug - 8:46

Get a feeling 50 might have others negiotiating for him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 10 Aug - 10:46

Its really disappointing that either Kessler or Pavlik couldnt be made. Although technically Froch is a "paper champ" while Ward is around its an indictment of what a world title means if the champion is struggling to get a customer. Its the same at heavyweight these days where the Klitschkos are almost expected to go cap in hand to a challenger for the privelage of defending their title. Challengers should be queing up for a shot at a title. Especially experienced ones like Pavlik and Kessler.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 11 Aug - 20:41

maybe degale would take the fight, than could be interesting

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 11 Aug - 20:44

eddyfightfan wrote:maybe degale would take the fight, than could be interesting

Would be worth it just for the press conferences

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 11 Aug - 23:49

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:maybe degale would take the fight, than could be interesting

Would be worth it just for the press conferences

Would it really?? Froch being called smelly breath and ugly big nose kid...........maybe your right haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 12 Aug - 5:21

Degale would be an interesting fight gang but to be honest, i think the fact that he isn't very heavy-handed, and is a little too hit-able, might play into Froch's hands. By might i mean it would, and a pancaking would take place if he stepped up now, IMO.

James Degale needs a new team and a more active calender before he goes for a world- title, and he needs to sort out his dispute with Warren. At this rate he could be left on the shelf, which would be a shame for such a talent.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down