The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch's next opponent

+18
John Bloody Wayne
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
ShahenshahG
Strongback
Rowley
bhb001
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Steffan
winchester
tommyhearnsprodigalson
JabMachineMK2
smashingstormcrow
Boxtthis
Rodney
Seanusarrilius
manos de piedra
trenchtownbaboon
kingraf
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch's next opponent Empty Froch's next opponent

Post by Guest Sun 23 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

With Sakio Bika winning the vacant WBC SM title, what about Bika v Froch in a unification match-up? Bika is tough but somewhat limited (mind you, some may say the same about Froch) and he should be a able to give Froch a decent test although I'd wager Froch would be able to come through it.

Doesn't change the fact that Ward would still be "the man" at the weight but I think Froch would love the chance to get his hands on another belt.

Back to top Go down

Froch's next opponent Empty Re: Froch's next opponent

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Jun 2013, 6:55 pm

Rumor in the South African circles is that if Oosthuizen wins his next fight, he becomes the IBF mandatory.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sun 23 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

Froch v Bika is not very mouth watering is it? I dont think Hearn would ever go for that so i think its a no go Bika brings nothing to the table,  I reckon Froch should fight Ward again or move up to fight popkins or the winner of Clevernurse v Kovalev.
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:23 pm

I dont really know if Bika would carry a ppv headliner. A couple of years ago, I think they would look for him. But with Froch having potentially only a few more fights in him then I dont think Bika would be overly appealing. I suspect theres a chance Bika is being manouvered as fodder for the WBC to get JCC Jr an easy belt when he inneviteably moves up.

I think Hearn will be trying to tempt Kessler out for a third installment and possibly then a domestic with Groves.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm

I really feel like the Froch camp are going to push hard for Kessler III. If Froch was a younger champ I think Bika would make sense, but at this stage Hearn will be looking to make as much $ as possible for him and Froch. That said, I would like to see Froch fight someone other than Kessler next.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:45 am

Probably a match that makes good sense in the real world however TV execs want bigger names only these days. HBO have gave Hearn 4 options Ward,Kessler, Golovkin and Chavez Jnr.

I reckon we'll get Kessler 3 whilst Ward has another stupidity long lay off again.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:23 am

Genuinely don't think Kessler wants to fight Froch again no matter how much they offer. I doubt very much that a man nearing the end of his career as Kessler is will want it to end with him flat on his back (which is what will happen).

I think Ward will piddle about for ages before agreeing to face Froch, it's just a shame we have to endure this nonsense as Ward wins whenever, wherever they choose to fight.

The Groves fight is sellable but until Groves secures a portion of the title, I can't see that one coming off either. A unification fight with Groves makes more money for both guys.

Maybe Groves or, at a push, even Kessler might fancy Bika

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:36 am

Doubt this would happen, because:

a) Bika vs Froch is not very appealing to be honest
b) The WBC actively discourage unifications. This belt was Ward's and he lost it despite never losing

I think Groves is now no.1 contender for Bika's belt. Could be a good fight for him. Bika's tough, but beatable by any upper bracket SMW. I think Groves is ready to hold and defend a world title.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

Shocked

Last edited by Boxtthis on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong thread)

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

Bika would be an excellent test for Groves... would love to see that fight being made, and if Groves comes through it, it would make a Groves/Froch fight credible.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 24 Jun 2013, 1:25 pm

Chaves jr would be a good fight for Froch from an entertainment and US exposure sense. But, this would probably have to take place in the states, and Froch seems less willing to go there now he is a bonified star in England. And I don't blame him

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 1:48 pm

Golovkin won't move up Rodders, he's a small MW.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Mon 24 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

If Groves won the WBC belt the WBC would still try to put a stop to Froch VS Groves as it would be a unification,

A Chavez Jr fight would be a good scrap while it lasted

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

The match that makes the most sense is for Froch to face Ward in the UK to see who is number 1. Ward needs to prove himself by travelling as it has been Froch the one that has proven himself thus far. I think a third decider with Kessler would also be a great option. I dont think Froch will have any more than two or three more fights. He would be beat Groves quite easily so thats a bit pointless. I think he should beat Kessler and Ward and then retire but it all comes down to whether or not Ward will travel. Kessler did it last time so theres no good excuse for Ward not to.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:14 pm

Kessler looked shot. On saying that id rather a Froch v Kessler 3 fight than another one sided beating off Ward. I dont wanna see the Kess get hurt though as he is a gentleman of the sport. Obviously a fight with Cleverly wouldnt happen as he only fights nurses and taxi drivers apparently. I think a fight with Groves in London would be a good matchup and a seller. Id tip Froch to win that one. Groves is a better boxer but Froch has far more experience

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:25 pm

Steffan wrote:Kessler looked shot. On saying that id rather a Froch v Kessler 3 fight than another one sided beating off Ward. I dont wanna see the Kess get hurt though as he is a gentleman of the sport. Obviously a fight with Cleverly wouldnt happen as he only fights nurses and taxi drivers apparently. I think a fight with Groves in London would be a good matchup and a seller. Id tip Froch to win that one. Groves is a better boxer but Froch has far more experience

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171585-karpency-is-nurse-by-day-world-title-challenger-by-night

No "apparently" about it...
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

winchester wrote:The match that makes the most sense is for Froch to face Ward in the UK to see who is number 1. Ward needs to prove himself by travelling as it has been Froch the one that has proven himself thus far. I think a third decider with Kessler would also be a great option. I dont think Froch will have any more than two or three more fights. He would be beat Groves quite easily so thats a bit pointless. I think he should beat Kessler and Ward and then retire but it all comes down to whether or not Ward will travel. Kessler did it last time so theres no good excuse for Ward not to.

Okay, I know I shouldn't bite but ...

Ward is the man who won the Supersix and did it convincingly. Ward does not have to prove he is number 1. He is number 1. Fact. It is up to Froch to knock him off that perch. That is why he is the "challenger". furious. I would love Ward to come over here, but he does it for financial reasons only. Not because he has anything to prove!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

According to Eddie Hearn the plan is to have Froch out in Nottingham in Nov/Dec with a view to a mega fight in Spring or early summer next year. Would suggest the opponent Nov will be more the ticking over kind than one to get the juices flowing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Rowley wrote:According to Eddie Hearn the plan is to have Froch out in Nottingham in Nov/Dec with a view to a mega fight in Spring or early summer next year. Would suggest the opponent Nov will be more the ticking over kind than one to get the juices flowing.

You are likely to be right, but I wouldn't expect Peter Manfredo Jr either. I'm certain he will be matcehd against a low risk, but competative fighter.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

Agreed, Froch has prided himself on not taking any 'soft' fights for a few yewars now. Shame Bika won the ttle actually as he'd probably tick all the boxes for a "marking time" fight later this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

Must be a mandatory soon for Froch. He hasnt had one since winning the IBF.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

Degale

Sellable fight and low risk at the same time , get it done before James gets beat, a non puncher who will exchange, it's tailor made for Froch whilst he awaits the outdoor show. 

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

The problem I have with DeGale (apart from him being a massive git) is that arguably, Groves has done more to deserve a shot at Froch and if by some miracle, DeGale wins, I can't see him rushing to give Groves another chance to humiliate him....which seems unfair to a sensitive soul like me

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:31 pm

Martin Murray's thrown his name in the hat:

George Groves and James DeGale have both been quick to call the Nottingham man out, but Murray believes he should head the queue of potential domestic opponents because he has greater experience on the world stage.

“I can do middleweight comfortably and that’s still the weight I want to fight at, but a Froch fight is one I’d be more than open to,” Murray, 30, said.

“I believe styles make fights and I think me and Carl Froch would put on an absolute war.

“If Carl is going to fight another British fighter then I don’t see why my name isn’t in the mix. It makes sense from the American TV side of things with me now being known on HBO after the Martinez fight.

“There’s obviously George Groves and James DeGale, but they’re not yet proven at world level. Even though I’ve been boxing at the weight below, I’ve shown that I belong up there with the elite fighters, which is what Carl is.”

He added: “I’ve said from day one that I want to be involved in big fights. When I look back at my career in the future, I want to be able to see I was in with the best.”

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:32 pm

Having slated Manfredo Jr, he is apparently number 3 American at super middleweight (if box rec can be believed). Mind you, after Ward and Dirrell, it is a big step to number 3!!

How about this Thomas Oosthuizen if he wins this weekend. That could be credible, couldn't it? Number 4 in listing, but no notable wins.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

If Froch won't entertain Cleverley cos he's not in Carl's weight class, how on earth can they justify fighting Murray?

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

Edwin Rodriguez and Thomas Oosthuizen look to be highest up in the IBF rankings but the IBF dont appear to have sanctioned any mandatory challenger or eliminators lately. Around the time Froch ended up fighting Yusef Mack I remember Oosthuizen was talked about as a possible opponent so they may go back to him and get the IBF to sanction it as a mandatory.

Murray would actually be an interesting shout. Hes earned another title shot I think given his previous showings and the styles would gel. Part of me would like to see Murray/Macklin/Barker/Lee all sort it out between them but maybe these fights could happen at SMW in the future and when you add Groves/De Gale/Saunders coming up now there are so many poetentially good, well matched fights.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 3:58 pm

bhb001 wrote:
winchester wrote:The match that makes the most sense is for Froch to face Ward in the UK to see who is number 1. Ward needs to prove himself by travelling as it has been Froch the one that has proven himself thus far. I think a third decider with Kessler would also be a great option. I dont think Froch will have any more than two or three more fights. He would be beat Groves quite easily so thats a bit pointless. I think he should beat Kessler and Ward and then retire but it all comes down to whether or not Ward will travel. Kessler did it last time so theres no good excuse for Ward not to.

Okay, I know I shouldn't bite but ...

Ward is the man who won the Supersix and did it convincingly. Ward does not have to prove he is number 1. He is number 1. Fact. It is up to Froch to knock him off that perch. That is why he is the "challenger". furious. I would love Ward to come over here, but he does it for financial reasons only. Not because he has anything to prove!

Ward hasnt proved himself in the way Froch has by travelling. Its a whole different experience fightin away from home. Froch has proven that he is a much better fighter in front of his home crowd. I think his recent performances have proved that. He lost a close fight to Kessler in Denmark but he won in style in the Uk. That highlights the differance it can make. Ward has got all his fights at home and has not been willing to travel so since Ward had the first fight in the U.S he should prove himself by coming to the UK and deciding who is the number 1 for sure. At the moment I dont think there is a clear number 1 because of Wards failure to travel and prove himself.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

Minority of one there, I think. It isn't that people on here have not got any sympathy with that argument. It is because it is so far at odds with what everyone has seen that it comes out as ludicrous. Froch is superb and I have every respect for the man with what he has done over the last few years. Ward is just better. By the by, New Jersey where he fought Froch is about 3000 miles from Oakland in California, so Ward may have travelled a little bit to get there!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:13 pm

Dimchester wrote:Froch has proven that he is a much better fighter in front of his home crowd. I think his recent performances have proved that. He lost a close fight to Kessler in Denmark but he won in style in the Uk.

He won a stinker vs Dirrell at home yet won comfortably against Abraham in Germany. Got nothing to do with home advantage.

He beat Kessler in the UK because Kessler is at the end of his career and has been saying as much for a while now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:41 pm

The reason Froch lost in Denmark and won in England is because Kessler wasnt totally shot when they fought first time. I agree though home advantage played a part in the Dirrell victory. Im not saying it was a hometown decision but if it had been on the other side of the atlantic I think Dirrell may have got the decision. Ward has no reason to leave the US for any fighter though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

Steffan wrote:The reason Froch lost in Denmark and won in England is because Kessler wasnt totally shot when they fought first time. I agree though home advantage played a part in the Dirrell victory. Im not saying it was a hometown decision but if it had been on the other side of the atlantic I think Dirrell may have got the decision. Ward has no reason to leave the US for any fighter though

I can't disagree with you on this one. I do think that Froch and Kessler have always been evenly matched. Froch lost in Denmark, whichever way you look at it, but not by a huge margin. Froch won in the UK, but did not out class the Dane. Both excellent fighters who gave their all. Dirrell was a terrible fight for Froch and will never make his highlights reel!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:07 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Dimchester wrote:Froch has proven that he is a much better fighter in front of his home crowd. I think his recent performances have proved that. He lost a close fight to Kessler in Denmark but he won in style in the Uk.

He won a stinker vs Dirrell at home yet won comfortably against Abraham in Germany. Got nothing to do with home advantage.

He beat Kessler in the UK because Kessler is at the end of his career and has been saying as much for a while now.

He didnt fight Abraham in Germany. If you follow Frochs career all his best performances have been at home. Fighting at home with a big support behind you is a big advantage. Kessler said after his second fight what a tough atmosphere it was to fight in. It can make a big differance.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:09 pm

bhb001 wrote:Minority of one there, I think. It isn't that people on here have not got any sympathy with that argument. It is because it is so far at odds with what everyone has seen that it comes out as ludicrous. Froch is superb and I have every respect for the man with what he has done over the last few years. Ward is just better. By the by, New Jersey where he fought Froch is about 3000 miles from Oakland in California, so Ward may have travelled a little bit to get there!!

By your logic Kessler should not have come to the UK to fight Froch. If he hadnt been willing to travel as champions should then we would never know Froch was better.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:10 pm

I dont think he is though although difference is paper yhin

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:14 pm

Dumbchester wrote:He didnt fight Abraham in Germany. If you follow Frochs career all his best performances have been at home. Fighting at home with a big support behind you is a big advantage. Kessler said after his second fight what a tough atmosphere it was to fight in. It can make a big differance
You're absolutely correct...he fought him in Helsinki which, if memory serves, still wouldn't count as being a fight in Froch's home town. Must also point out that as Abraham is an Armenian based in Germany, he wasn't given home advantage either yet, as I pointed out, Froch outboxed him handily. So please tell me how this fits in with your home advantage theory.

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

Dumbchester? You make a statement saying that Froch fought Abraham in Germany and claim Im dumb? If you cant recognise the advantage of fighting at home in front of thousands of your own fans you need your head examined. Froch is brilliant in the UK and if he fought like he did in his last few fights then I think he would Ward and probably knock him out. Ward is completely unproven in that environment.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:29 pm

Numbchester (better?) wrote:Dumbchester? You make a statement saying that Froch fought Abraham in Germany and claim Im dumb? If you cant recognise the advantage of fighting at home in front of thousands of your own fans you need your head examined. Froch is brilliant in the UK and if he fought like he did in his last few fights then I think he would Ward and probably knock him out. Ward is completely unproven in that environment.

I was mistaken re the venue however, it still dispels your theroy that Froch fights better with a home crowd advantage as neither of them had a home crowd and yet Froch put on perhaps his best ever pure "boxing" performance.

Froch could take three of the best audience mebers in the ring with him and he still would beat Ward. Froch is good...Ward is better.

Froch claims he was jetlagged facing Ward. When did he get to America? How long does jet lag last? Are you the only person dumb enough to believe that was the reason he lost?

Lionel Messi is brilliant playing at home for Barcalona...however when he plays anywhere else he's...oh, wait a minute, still brilliant. If you have it, you have it.

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:53 pm

Yes thats right Froch has to be the one to travel everywhere and prove himself while Ward stays at home. Its ok for Abraham, Kessler, Froch, Bute, Pascal and all these fighters to travel but Ward doesnt have to. Its obvious that Froch performs so much better at home he has been brilliant in his last few fights when fired up with a big crowd behind him. Ward has never been tested against that, he is unproven away from home. Froch is not. Your point on Messi and football is even more stupid. Why do you think they have HOME and AWAY in football. Maybe Barcelona should just play every match at home and have people like you say it doesnt matter. Home is a big advantage.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:00 pm

Glumchester wrote:Yes thats right Froch has to be the one to travel everywhere and prove himself while Ward stays at home. Its ok for Abraham, Kessler, Froch, Bute, Pascal and all these fighters to travel but Ward doesnt have to. Its obvious that Froch performs so much better at home he has been brilliant in his last few fights when fired up with a big crowd behind him. Ward has never been tested against that, he is unproven away from home. Froch is not. Your point on Messi and football is even more stupid. Why do you think they have HOME and AWAY in football. Maybe Barcelona should just play every match at home and have people like you say it doesnt matter. Home is a big advantage.

So you're saying Lionel Messi scored all those 86 goals at home then?

Whaddya mean it's OK for Abraham to travel? They fought in Helsinki, do you actually know where that is? Do you think Froch hopped on a bus outside his house, paid £2.50 and got off five stops later?

Anyway, it's irrelevant whether Ward travels to England, America, Australia, Mars or back in time to to Ancient Egypt. Wherever, whenever they fight, Froch wiill not beat him

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:03 pm

Abraham had to travel to the US to fight Ward. Everyone has to travel to the US to fight Ward seemingly. Ward is the one who never has to travel. Dont try patronising me about where Helsinki is when you didnt even know thats where the fight happened.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

The point I was making was that Froch traveled to fight Abraham and put on one of his best performances which blows your "He fights better at home" theory out of the water. Try not to get too caught up in where it was they actually fought.

Plumchester wrote:Ward is the one who never has to travel

Mayweather doesn't travel either and given Ward is arguably the 2nd best p4p fighter operating at the minute I fail to see how a guy like Froch can demand star billing for a rematch against a guy who handed him his a$$.

Even an unashamed Haye fanboy like me wouldn't expect Wlad to travel to England for a rematch (should one ever take place)

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:39 pm

Ward would get more respect for travelling. Why should he care about that. He has proven he is the best

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

These pair should fight in the US or they fight nowhere

Ward is a professional fighter and world champion...not a traveller

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

I'm getting worried. I find myself agreeing with Steffan on a subject about Froch

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:53 pm

bhb001 wrote:I'm getting worried. I find myself agreeing with Steffan on a subject about Froch
It is unavoidable. It is your destiny

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:22 pm

I agree that Ward is under no obligation to travel. He has earned the right to be considered no1 in the division and a top five P4P guy and as such does not need to dictated to by anyone. However it would be nice to see him do so.

Will say now think even at the City Ground Ward beats Froch, however lets not kid ourselves travelling overseas creates difficulties, there is the lack of home comfort, change in routine, hostile crowds, hotel living etc that all add up. Greatness is for me not just about excelling inside the ring it is putting yourself out there to overcome obstacles and whether folk like it or not fighting abroad is one thing Ward is yet to tick off his list. Although in the interests of fairness I should add he is not unique in that sense in the modern game.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

Laugh love the new names Plumchester haha!
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

If there's no such thing as home advantage, why doesn't Ward come to England? He'd make more money.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:53 pm

Would he have to pay tax here?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down