The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch's next opponent

+18
John Bloody Wayne
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
ShahenshahG
Strongback
Rowley
bhb001
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Steffan
winchester
tommyhearnsprodigalson
JabMachineMK2
smashingstormcrow
Boxtthis
Rodney
Seanusarrilius
manos de piedra
trenchtownbaboon
kingraf
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Froch's next opponent - Page 2 Empty Froch's next opponent

Post by Guest Sun 23 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

With Sakio Bika winning the vacant WBC SM title, what about Bika v Froch in a unification match-up? Bika is tough but somewhat limited (mind you, some may say the same about Froch) and he should be a able to give Froch a decent test although I'd wager Froch would be able to come through it.

Doesn't change the fact that Ward would still be "the man" at the weight but I think Froch would love the chance to get his hands on another belt.

Back to top Go down

Froch's next opponent - Page 2 Empty Re: Froch's next opponent

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:59 pm

Depends if he's friends on FACEBOOK with Jimmy Carr...actually, Eddie Hearn could use that fact that he and Jimmy Carr could have been seperated at birth to convince Ward that he'd be paying about $3.28 in tax

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:10 pm

Bika would be outboxed comprehensively, and would show extreme resilience to not get knocked out.

It can only be Ward for Froch.

Shahenshah - there are special tax rules for sports people. This is why Usain Bolt etc don't compete in UK athletics and The Champions League final doesn't get held in the UK! I think if one competes in the UK they get taxed on their whole income here. Which understandably puts a lot of sportsmen off, as the tax liability on total annual earnings can exceed the winnings from the uk events, and then there are the complications of how this would be compatible with a US tax return and what double tax reliefs are available. Afraid tax isn't my speciality, but well noted, it could scupper a uk fight.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:25 pm

UK tax is a disgrace. Dont understand how the government can justify taxing the working man so much

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:53 pm

At least the welsh get free prescriptions Wink

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:01 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:At least the welsh get free prescriptions Wink
I know. And for a perscription junkie like me thats great Emo

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 26 Jun 2013, 1:55 am

I dont think it should it be assumed that Ward wont come to the UK.

Firstly, if Ward wasnt interested in a Froch rematch it would be easy enough to draw a line under the first fight and move on. However he hasnt done that. He seems open to a rematch and has openly discussed the possibiity. Secondly, he hasnt as far as I have seen ruled out coming to the UK. He has just said he wont be forced to. By my interpretation what he means is - if you want the fight in the UK you better make me a good offer. Lastly, I dont see why Hearn would be so enthusiastic to pay big money to Ward to come to the UK. He has a boxer who can do ppv numbers with a limited time left. A second loss to Ward probably sees the end of his career. And regardless of Wards lack of road travel, I think its only a very optimistic Froch fan that wouldnt see a large risk of Froch losing again. Barry Hearn was on Ringside and basically said if it was his call he wouldnt go near Ward again.

My own interpretation would be that its actually Hearn thats in no rush to make the fight happen at this time rather than Ward. Froch has easier, and more lucrative options open to him. In a couple of fights time if Froch is ready to retire they might go for Ward but I would say Hearn is looking more closely at Kessler again or Groves in the near future and in the meanwhile will try and make it look like Ward is the guy thats preventing the fight happening or insinuating Ward is the one needs Froch.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:10 am

Groves would be a good option. That could be an exciting fight. I'd like to see Kessler retire, he deserves to go out on a high. Give Ward time to heal his shoulder.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 26 Jun 2013, 7:46 am

According to boxrec Ward in No.2 and Froch is No. 8 - they are miles ahead of anyone at their weight division and the only guy near them in a similar weight division is Sergio Martinez. It doesn't really make sense for these guys to be fighting anyone else right now.

Wherever it happens there should be a repeat. Regardless of whether it is thought Ward will win again, Froch has improved and had three good wins since Ward beat him. He has done enough to earn a shot at redemption, I don't think anyone can quibble with that.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

and The Champions League final doesn't get held in the UK

Dude, it was at Wembly on the same night as Froch/Kessler

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 26 Jun 2013, 1:04 pm

I'd like to see Cleverly against Froch. Would do massive numbers and I think with Cleverly's willingness to trade it would be a great fight.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 1:05 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:According to boxrec Ward in No.2 and Froch is No. 8 - they are miles ahead of anyone at their weight division and the only guy near them in a similar weight division is Sergio Martinez.  It doesn't really make sense for these guys to be fighting anyone else right now.

Wherever it happens there should be a repeat.  Regardless of whether it is thought Ward will win again, Froch has improved and had three good wins since Ward beat him.  He has done enough to earn a shot at redemption, I don't think anyone can quibble with that.

I won't. I think that is spot on. I doubtitwill happen until next Spring though, with a fight for Froch at the end of the year. The queston then will be who does it make sense for him to fight in the interim? An international name would be my preference as opposed to any home spun talent.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

In which case he's as well fighting Sakio Bika as anyone. It would pick him up another title if he wins.

Froch Kessler III would be the dream.

I'd love him to tempt Sergio Martinez up from middleweight for a p4p clash.

Suspect he will get a stay busy fight against a challenger, and who can blame him, he's earnt that one too.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

Martinez would be my pick. If he fights Bika it is just another way of trying to compare himself to Calzaghe. Unfair, I know, but Bika is superb gate keeper and Froch has proven himself better than that.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

Agreed. That world title is the only carrot.

Would love to see him fight martinez, that would be a classic.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

How old would Martinez be by then? (Boxing age, not actual age). If he arrives in anything resembling peak, I think he does Froch in quite comfortably, too many angles, too fast, his a slick Argentine that Martinez. And Froch doesnt have the fighting style to make the obvious size disparity count. But I dont think that will happen, Sergio is ageing bad, and Froch is coming on strong. Would be a good name to get on the ledger (a guy very close to legend). Would it put him above Joey, though? I mean thats Carl's goal.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:12 pm

Well I for one think Froch and Calzaghe are different fighters from different ages. It's like comparing floyd patterson with jack johnson - fun but that's all it is. I don't think he needs to compare himself to anyone, Froch has had a glittering career in its own right, it needs no context.

I rate Froch as better than martin Murray, and I'd fancy him to knock Martinez out late on. Martinez is a great fighter, but at 38, I don't think he will have the engine to battle froch for 12 rounds. I think Froch's power would tell on him as well. It would be a hummdinger of a battle.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:22 pm

Thats my issue. The engine. But Sergio is a champion. He might find a way.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

Undoubtedly he is an elite fighter and Froch will have to bring his A-game.

A 5% drop in performance would be fatal. I can just see him bowling through Sergio's punches though and landing bombs that wear out a 38 year old Martinez.

This would excite me much more than Froch-Ward, but knowing the kind of fighter Froch is, he would want to face Ward again.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

I think Sergio would going land at will, he really is too fast for him. Froch might drop him, but Martinez always gets up. Stamina is the big thing. Which is why Froch wins.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

It would be interesting. Froch is a deceptively good boxer though and has a two inch reach, strength, stamina and power advantage. Too much for Martinez to make up in my view.

Really intrigued by this one though!

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

Thing is, with all the disadvantages against him, Martinez might fancy it as no-one realistically expects him to win so there's no shame in losing. Probably why Martin Murray has thrown his hat into the ring.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:53 pm

Timing and size would favour Froch heavily against Martinez. On the basis of recent fights I make Froch a strong favourite. He probably scarcely breaks above 20% accuracy against Martinez but when he does land I think its going to really damage Martinez who has been floored several times in his last few fights. Id rather see Golovkin v Martinez for the middleweight championship than Martinez move up at this stage.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

Of course, you do realise Golovkin is a massive hype job/flavour of the month/ the latest fighter for 606-ers to hitch their bandwagon to* (delete as applicable).

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 26 Jun 2013, 6:02 pm

I love Martinez, but I couldn't see him hanging with the top 168 pounders. He's a small middleweight, and Chavez almost had him out in that final round. All Chavez had was size, nothing to go with it. The top super middleweights have that size advantage, plus athleticism and ability to go with it. I'd fancy Froch to walk down any version of Martinez with no fear of his what's coming back. Stops him in the mid rounds when Sergio always dips. Serge struggles to get around the jab and the last time a southpaw with good footwork, power and handspeed was favoured over Froch he was decimated.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 28 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

Ward beat Froch so comfortably there is nothing to suggest Froch would be better at home.

The lack of decent potential fights for Froch suggests that Ward would have the same problem, there is just nobody else there for either of them if they don't move up in weight.

Fight should happen but it should happen in the US.

If we are looking at ways to make it harder for Ward they could maybe say that he can only use his left hand in odd rounds?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2