The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congrats Gazza, got to love it!

+3
The Special Juan
laverfan
socal1976
7 posters

Go down

Congrats Gazza, got to love it! Empty Congrats Gazza, got to love it!

Post by socal1976 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

I really am happy that Gasquet at least has capitalized and come back after being the hinterlands of the tennis world under investigation for cocaine abuse with the odd explanation that he "kissed a girl and liked it" (sorry couldn't resist). Berdych now really slumping losing early at the olympics, doing nothing of note at RG or wimby and now out early in toronto. Gasquet needs to get into the top 8 he is that kind of player and if he is watching what other players are doing and having resurgences later on in their careers he can certainly do it. To me the most wondrous of shotmakers gasquet and the best one hander ever. Despite esteemed Lydian's erroneous opinion that it is too loopy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Congrats Gazza, got to love it! Empty Re: Congrats Gazza, got to love it!

Post by laverfan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 3:37 am

One of the bravest too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHCy5WkZzw

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 11 Aug 2012, 6:36 am

Yes laverfan I am glad you remembered that match. It was one of the best matches I have ever seen the US open crowd was awed by Richie G's shotmaking despite losing that match. That forehand pass he hit on match point he was at least 15 behind the line and past the double's alley by a couple of yards as well, truely remarkable. A handful of men could hit that shot, and on your weaker wing as well.

My favorite Gasquet memory was when he came back two sets against Roddick at wimby. Roddick was still a formidable contender on grass back then and I personally have never seen a match at any level where a player hit over a hundred winners and at least 70 percent were backhands. Mostly, the up the line as usual Roddick was leaving loads of room on his forehand corner and was moving less than stellar on the grass. But most of those backhand winners would have beat him even if Roddick was as fast as Usain bolt. Never seen a match so dominated over 5 sets by a backhand, it was frankly amazing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:45 am

Did you see his backhand passing shot in the doubles at the Olympics? It was amazing.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 11 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

I was so thrilled that he and Benneteau won the bronze at OG - lovely to see the French players doing well.

One of the most sublime players to watch when on form.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 11 Aug 2012, 1:49 pm

I think what Federer said about Gasquet last year is spot on. He was asked why a player with such talent hasn't made more of an impact at the top of the game, and he said something along the lines of:

He can play some great shots with great technique, and to the casual observer it can look as if he is as talented as the top guys. But there are a number of things he doesn't do as well as the top players which are perhaps not as obvious.

I'm paraphrasing but it was along those lines, and I think it's really accurate. He'll never move as well as the top 4, or defend as well. If he gets on a roll he can hurt anyone, but he's also not as tough mentally as the top guys.

Those assets and flaws make him wonderful to watch though, and it would be great if he could establish himself in the top ten.

He needs to be careful who he kisses though. I think that is one of the most bizarre explanations for a negative drug test I've ever heard. Not that I'm doubting him of course.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

This is what I remember Gasquet by - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D-8UzMs8

but most spectators remember this one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI_LZ6Klg_I

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 2:06 pm

This is what I remember when I think of Gasquet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7482478.stm

The whole cocaine thing.... It was such a ridiculous explanation it had to be true. As for Gasquet as a player, I think he's prone to the odd mental collapse. He's done it arguably 3 times against Murray at Wimbledon 2008, French Open Round 1 2010 and this year at the French Open.

On a side note, he's a rather odd looking fellow. From a distance he looks like Murray but his body is much bigger than his legs.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 11 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

Good posts, Gasquet's game also is not really suited to a hardcourt, his swings are so big and western and he stands so far back. In terms of certain areas like fitness and mental toughness Gasquet is certainly a bit behind the top guys on tour. But in terms of feel, touch, and shotmaking I think Gasquet is as good as anyone.

No Juan didn't see the passing shot at the olympics i don't usually watch doubles. But in terms of highlight reels Gasquet has as good a one as any player.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 8:26 pm

Looked for a video but I couldn't find it. If anyone comes across highlights I think it was the shot that won the 1st set in the tiebreak but I can't be sure.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 8:41 pm

Ok, 03:03:15 I'd say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w30q1
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:47 pm

Can Gasquet finally win a Masters? He has been to the finals of 2005 Hamburg and 2006 Canada. It has taken him six years to get to a MS final again. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

laverfan wrote:Can Gasquet finally win a Masters? He has been to the finals of 2005 Hamburg and 2006 Canada. It has taken him six years to get to a MS final again. Cool
Stan will succeed where Richeater fails. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:01 pm

Gasquet was blatantly guilty of taking cocaine and cooked up a cowpat excuse, that's the most likely explanation and you'd be naive to think otherwise. Of course, I can't be 100% sure.

Anyway, who cares, PED is cheating, cocaine is a matter for the police not the tennis authorities.

I'll remember him for a tremendous performance against Roddick in the 5th set at Wimbledon 2007. it was champion level, so a shame he couldn't continue it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

I agree Henman Bill, that whole I kissed a girl thing was a ridiculous excuse and stupid that the tour should even be involved. PEDs, I don't care if you are doing coke or smoking a little weed.

And that 2007 wimbeldon against Roddick I have never seen a player hit that many winners in a match with the backhand, it was absolutely beautiful. His backhand out performed Roddick's serve on a grass court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down