The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Balls (Uniroyal Plus 6)

+3
super_realist
LondonJonnyO
McLaren
7 posters

Go down

Old Balls (Uniroyal Plus 6) Empty Old Balls (Uniroyal Plus 6)

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 am

Found this ball the other day and wondered if anyone ever played with these and what they were like. I have been putting with it and it actually feels quite nice.

https://2img.net/h/i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/s0456769/Random%20Stuff/DSCF1224.jpg

When you put it side by side a prov1 you can see it is also a little smaller than the modern ball, I believe a result of no unification in rules between the USGA ans R and A until 1990. I think this is one of the 1.62 inch diameter balls allowed under R and A rules.

Anyway here is the pick with a ProV1

https://2img.net/h/i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/s0456769/Random%20Stuff/DSCF1225.jpg

Might be good to go test it for real and settle the what is the biggest technological advancement argument.

Last edited by McLaren on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Images removed - links retained)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Old Balls (Uniroyal Plus 6) Empty Re: Old Balls (Uniroyal Plus 6)

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 am

It might putt a little differently with more break than a modern ball as I am given to understand old balls hang out a little lower.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 am

Mac, you are such a ball gypo, they aren't expensive. Just buy some.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 am

I do buy the balls that I use. I just happened to find this older one which I had not seen before, so picked it up. I I find a ball why would I leave it. I tend to buy my balls in the local charity shops, and use them to practice with. I buy Prov1's for the rounds that matter a little more to me.

I know people will say just use your normal ball but it feels special to use a nice ball like a proV1.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 am

Mac, if you do a lot of practice, have you thought of buying a bag of used pro v's on ebay or somewhere similar. Playing all your golf with a responsive ball and similar to what you use on course will be better for you than using Pinnacles, Penfold Commando's or whatever rock hard diamond that might have been cleared out of a dead pensioners attic which finds it's way into a charity shop.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 am

Super

I tend to practice with Prov's, better nikes, srixon's and Callaway's. You would be surprised how good the balls are you can get in charity shops.

I can usually get 10 balls for around £1.50, how much are the used prov's?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 am

My practice bag is just used up of the balls that I've already played a round with and what decent but too worn to play with premium balls I find on the course.
Doesn't cost anything.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 am

Yeah but how much do you spend on brand new balls in a year?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:36 am

Mac, I seek out bargains, you can get some great deals if you steer clear of overpriced , over-rated ProV1's.

I play either Srixon Z-Star or Bridgestone, each to be had for less than £25 a dozen. I don't usually lose many so a dozen will last 10 or so rounds. Not a bad return, plus you know they haven't been lying at the bottom of a lake for a year.
Usually you can get three dozen in the region of £65 so I normally just go half with a colleague at work. New ball every competitive round then just play a decent but not necessarily new ball for bounce games.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Mac

I have been playing golf long enough to remember when the Uniroyal Plus Six was at the cutting edge of ball technology. Uniroyal got heavily into Golf Balls in the 70's and brought out a Jack Nicklaus version which the great man played himself while in the UK. Bernard Gallagher was also contracted to play it. The plus 6 was an early attempt at using geo dimples to improve flight etc. The 1.62 size was standard in the amateur game (but not professionals) when I started playing in 1968. Interestingly enough the R&A allowed pro's to play the small ball in the Open at this time and most did since it was easier to control in the wind.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:11 am

Ahhh. Memories, memories. The Uni Plus 6 was a ball we'd often hope to find when I was a junior. Decent ball. Dimples on the Callaways not so original eh?

The 1.62s were interesting; you'd think they'd go further into the wind but I never found that they made much difference.

Probably not a fair comparison with a modern ball as if the +6 has been exposed to the weather for that length of time, it's bound to have lost a lot of core elasticity (it's wound) and the cover won't be up to much either.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:57 am

The came out in the late 1960's.
We used to call then urinals as they were $%^* balls. Whistle

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 am

Is that you TUC? I thought I recognised your turn of phrase. Welcome!

On old balls - I always tried to use my Dads Dunlop 65's. Something about unwrapping that shiny black wrapper. That is until McGregor Tourneys came out and promised 30+ yards on your drive.

Things never change do they!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down