The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Balls

+12
oldshanker
4putt
graeme
JPX
sharrison01
Maverick
SmithersJones
super_realist
barragan
navyblueshorts
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
16 posters

Go down

Balls Empty Balls

Post by drive4show Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 am

What is the ball of choice for each of you this year? Are you sticking to your previous favourite or trying something new?
There doesn't appear to be much happening this year, the Pro V range has been updated and new versions of the Z Star have been released but nothing dramatic. Bridgestone and Taylormade seem to be very quiet, I think the only significant new release is the Nike 20X1 which so far I've not been able to get hold of to try. Anyone tried it yet?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Balls Empty Re: Balls

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

Bridgestone have made some quiet modifications to the B330 line. The biggest change for the B330 tour (my preferred ball) is that it is now a slightly softer cover with a much firmer core. That is designed to increase response on pitches and improve sound on putts but reduce the spin from a full shot. Which I like.

I'd also like to try the Nike... but I have no idea when it's European release is scheduled.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

For me, I'm sticking with my Wilson FG Tour (awesome ball for the money) and the excellent Bridgestone 330S balls I picked up in a sale in the early Spring.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 am

nothing dramatic - changed to the pro v 1x from the pro v 1 this season.
tried out the zstar and bridgestone in the preseason, but didn't like the feeling i was getting off my scotty in particular. picked up a couple of newish penta / pentra [?] 's out on the course so will give them a bash soon.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 am

I've played Srixon for a couple of years and dabble between the Z-Star and Z-Star X depending on wind and course condition.

Picked up a dozen Bridgestone B330 cheap and another dozen B330 RXS (a little soft for my liking but could be good for when St.Andrews is baked hard.)

Quite like the B330 though, although perhaps not enough to persuade me to switch entirely.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:

I'd also like to try the Nike... but I have no idea when it's European release is scheduled.

I spoke to the guys in my local AG, they were told to expect them in the shop end of May but still no sign of them. The press blurb sounds quite encouraging but in the past I've always found Nike balls to be very rock like. Something to do with their chief ball designer perhaps? (Rock Ishii Laugh )

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 am

lj, i found the bridgestone a bit weird - when putting it felt almost like there was a weight inside the ball - i struggled with it big style on the longer putts.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 am

I've tried quite a few different balls lately in an attempt to find one that gives me a more penetrating, less spinny flight. I'm also trying to work on technique in that respect, but have tried the Penta, B330S, Z Star and have now pretty much echoed BanBam's move from ProV1 to ProV1x. Penta's pretty good too, and like most of you I'm going to try the 20XI when it's finally released here.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 am

Used to play the Pro V, but ditched it sometime back due to its ridiculous high spin rate in favour of the Z-Star tour great ball. However I have found a better one than that and it is the Nike 20X1, managed to get hold of 2 dozen when i was out at Doral have to say impressed with them, however they are now going to my old man as a birthday pressie as I cannot play for a few months still

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am

Mav

can you give us a run down on the Nike ball please?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 am

ban_bam. Not really sure what you mean by a weight in the ball... do you mean that you had trouble getting it to the hole as it felt dead? Or that the ball just rocketed past on longer putts?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 am

What can I say really, other than it reminds me of the original Titleist professional in the way it responds and its feel is exceptional there really isn't a ball like it for feel. It's head and shoulders above anything else out their at the moment but that is my opinion and could be different for you guys. But when I was hitting it you could feel it comressing nicely off the clubface and the feeel on putting was great

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

What was the spin rate like? I wouldn't want anything that was even remotely close to a ProV1 in terms of that!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:53 am

Currently using the Nike Tour D as I've got on well with Nike's firmer 3 piece offerings in the past. Not a fan of either ProV ball and didn't get a lot out of any of the Bridgestone or Srixon balls either.

Doesn't seem like much is changing in the world of golf balls at the moment, more of an annual tweak and rebrand as a manufacturer's new and improved ball. Maybe this much hyped Nike ball can do for the golf ball market what the ProV1 did a few years back and get it competing on the research front again. Feels like most areas of equipment is plateauing at the moment - can't really remember the last time I was wowed by a new product, golf shafts aside.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 am

i'm finding it hard to explain,
when putting, i was aware of the ball feeling centrally quite heavy but with a lighter outer layer. like there were 2 very different layers to the construction, similar to how you described it. maybe it was a dud though, and the weight balance between outer and inner layers was askew.
as for length of putts i was struggling to get the pace full stop. long, short and occasionally in between. it actually felt like there was something wrong with the ball, so perhaps it was a dud. i lost it after about a dozen holes and finished out with a battered old prov1 which felt a lot lighter off the putter face.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 am

It's a 4 layer ball rather than a 2 layer one... perhaps you were just struggling with what is a fairly firm ball compared to the wet sponge that is a prov1
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 am

perhaps.
i just like the gliding sensation.

the one thing that is very poor about the v1x, is its durability. you only have to hit a wedge or two and it scuffs up real bad. i played my 5th consecutive practice round with one the other day and its in some state.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 am

Hope the Nike doesn't come out too soon - just been to JJB and they're doing bogohp so got 24 ProV1x for £52.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:What was the spin rate like? I wouldn't want anything that was even remotely close to a ProV1 in terms of that!

Spin rates fantastic LJ, I like you cannot stand the pro v for that reason, you can really control the spin rate with these badboys

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 am

mav, when you say 'control the spin rate', do you just mean you get less spin, or can you increase the spin rate on demand to the undesirable rates of the pro v1 if you want?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 am

ban_bam wrote:perhaps.
i just like the gliding sensation.

the one thing that is very poor about the v1x, is its durability. you only have to hit a wedge or two and it scuffs up real bad. i played my 5th consecutive practice round with one the other day and its in some state.

How long do you expect a ball to last Ban Bam? 5 rounds seems well excessive. Two rounds would probably be too long for most balls. After that they go in my practice bag.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 am

s_r,
i tend to 'unwrap' a new one for each competitive round, though i use used ones for practice games. i only tend to carry 2 or 3 spares on practice games so i tend to use the same one until it loses me. occasionally that means i use the same one for 3 or 4 games. i had to retire that one mid way through its 5th round as it was well past it.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:03 am

This is a good thread Smile

I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice......

I use the prov1 at present, mainly because I like the feel for chipping and putting. Problem is I hit a high ball with the driver and irons, that's something I've always done so it's not a shaft problem, I'm wondering whether a different low spinning ball might help? Any suggestions?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:07 pm

JPX

Yes indeed it might. A heavier shaft will help to reduce spin which is no bad thing with the driver but you do need a certain amount of spin from your irons to control the ball when you are hitting into the greens. Best bet might be to arrange a fitting session to compare different types of shaft.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:16 am

ban_bam wrote:mav, when you say 'control the spin rate', do you just mean you get less spin, or can you increase the spin rate on demand to the undesirable rates of the pro v1 if you want?

Ban I mean you can add a bit of spin when you accelerate more through the ball or you can ease of and swing easier and reduce the spin which is something you shold be able to do with any good ball, with the pro v if you did either of these you still got to much spin as the spin rate with those is always to high.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 am

Of course now titleist have been sold to south korea its no longer going to be the ball of choice for the worlds greatest golfer kim yong il
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:04 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Of course now titleist have been sold to south korea its no longer going to be the ball of choice for the worlds greatest golfer kim yong il

38 under i believe, including 5 holes in one. but it's ok, he's since given golf up...

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:07 am

To be honest, I find the comments on here about spin control surprising. My handicap has varied between 5-9 over the past 8 years and I know I don't hit the ball consistently enough for me to be able to confidently take spin into account. I prefer to use a Pro V1, but as soft as it is, if I don't hit it right it aint going to stop. It would appear that most golfers on here don't have that problem.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:32 am

drive4show wrote:JPX

Yes indeed it might. A heavier shaft will help to reduce spin which is no bad thing with the driver but you do need a certain amount of spin from your irons to control the ball when you are hitting into the greens. Best bet might be to arrange a fitting session to compare different types of shaft.
I was fitted for my current set of JPX 800 pro irons, I got a KBS Tour S+ shaft in them which are low trajectory. Plus, the irons have stronger lofts than most irons. To be honest it's the driver that's the problem, so might check out some shafts in a new driver, cheers.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 am

thanks mav - gottcha
i'll be giving the srixon / bridgestones another tryout once i get through the spell of club champs and opens over the next 6 weeks. i'm definitely striking the ball a lot better just now than i was during preseason, and my putting is coming on to so good time for a second chance!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:17 pm

4putt wrote:To be honest, I find the comments on here about spin control surprising. My handicap has varied between 5-9 over the past 8 years and I know I don't hit the ball consistently enough for me to be able to confidently take spin into account. I prefer to use a Pro V1, but as soft as it is, if I don't hit it right it aint going to stop. It would appear that most golfers on here don't have that problem.

I know what you are saying 4putt - I get virtually no stop on my ball unless I flop land it very gently and the only time I have had backspin, I was playing the Asian course at La Cala that had just been watered all night and was as soft as......a very soft thing.

But this means I play the game a little differently, maybe even more traditionally, utilising chip and runs more and being prepared to drop short - as long as there is an open route.

Regarding balls, I like a soft ball and presently I'm using wilson staff dna's, but that could change next week.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:02 am

Srixon soft feel only £1 each at AMG.Not that I need many of course.Key is to stick with one

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 am

I'm amazed no one ever sees the irony in balls labelled "soft" feel as they are inevitably as hard as diamond.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 am

I have been using the Callaway (i) z's so far and I have been impressed.

I sued to use the v1X, but a few years ago changed because of the way they seem to lose their whiteness!

Tried Bridgestone and rixon, all ok, but plumped for the Callaway as they are £10 cheaper than the others / dozen

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am

I was a big Bridgestone Tour 330 fan until my swing speed dropped, and have since moved to Srixon's either Z-Star or soft feel. had a huge surprise last weekend, as I had asked Mrs Doc to call in and get me a dozen balls as i was struggling for time. Turned up on Saturday morning and thought I'd just unwrap some balls for my bag, only to discover they were bright orange!! correct ball, but a bit loud Crying or Very sad

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Doc wrote:I was a big Bridgestone Tour 330 fan until my swing speed dropped, and have since moved to Srixon's either Z-Star or soft feel. had a huge surprise last weekend, as I had asked Mrs Doc to call in and get me a dozen balls as i was struggling for time. Turned up on Saturday morning and thought I'd just unwrap some balls for my bag, only to discover they were bright orange!! correct ball, but a bit loud Crying or Very sad

As a ginger, I am afraid there is nothing I can do about my orange balls... at least yours will be replaced by this time next year.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down