The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Man Utd could fail to make the final

+2
Cheesehead United
playunextyear
6 posters

Go down

How Man Utd could fail to make the final Empty How Man Utd could fail to make the final

Post by playunextyear Thu 14 Apr 2011, 3:44 pm

By underestimating the opposition in the semi, of course.
I note that Fergie was at Schalke on Wednesday night, but he needs to get it across to his players that:
- Schalke have recently changed coaches. Hard man Magath jumped before he could be pushed and went "home" to Wolfsburg, saying he should never have left. Successor Rangnick seems to be enjoying the "new boss bonus" from the players.
- Certainly Raul has got his smile back as well as the goal touch he used to have for Real and Spain. Rangnick fits the team around him. Watch their first goal from Wednesday's game. Any thoughts at Old Trafford that Raul is past it need to be stamped on hard.
- Perhaps more important, Rangnick has sorted the defence out. He has got a young CB pair playing well, in Matip and Höwedes. Metzelder, who failed at Real and came on a free, was in the side in the 2nd leg against Inter but only because of other injuries.
- Dutch international Huntelaar will be touch and go for the CL semi-finals, he's struggling with a tendon injury. But Brazilian Edu is filling in well.
- Then, of course, there's the small matter that Schalke's goalie is Germany's #1, Manuel Neuer. Not a bad lad.

Schalke are not middle of the table in the Bundesliga for no reason, but their form is perking up, and they dominated Inter twice in the quarter-final. Man Utd players (not the management, I'm sure) must not make the mistake of thinking Schalke will be just a 2nd rate version of Bayern.

If Giggs and Valencia both play and keep their crosses accurate and low like in the first Chelsea match, they'll be a constant threat, but the Schalke pair will knock out aerial balls all night. Above all, United need to impose themselves and not sit back for long stretches like they often do in European games. I predict at least one goal from Raul in the tie, and United need to make sure that's not enough.

playunextyear

Back to top Go down

How Man Utd could fail to make the final Empty Re: How Man Utd could fail to make the final

Post by Cheesehead United Thu 14 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

That can be said of any opposition. See what happened against Wolves when we lost 2-1. We haven't won anything yet, we need to keep our focus on each game as it comes or we can be made to look a fool.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

How Man Utd could fail to make the final Empty Re: How Man Utd could fail to make the final

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:12 pm

Man Utd will be favourites but I think Shalke might just sneak it they are very good going forward and this is all they have to play for. Man Utd will be in the middle of a title challenge so resting players can't be done. Not been impressed with Man Utd this season they look like they might win the league but they haven't played well not what you expect from Man Utd.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy McNulty Tue 26 Apr 2011, 10:59 am

Neuer didn't cover himself in glory in the first leg vs Inter, plus they conceded goals, i think it will be a very open game and if Hernandez starts there is going to be alot of goals!

I'm going to go for 1-3 to Utd.

Jimmy McNulty

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

I think it'll be a pretty open game, can't see either team not scoring. I'm going for a 2-2 draw.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:47 pm

I've changed my mind from a week ago. I've been impressed with Man Utd recently but think the first leg will be 1-0 to Utd but they should stick a few past Shalke in the 2nd leg.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Sun 08 May 2011, 1:01 am

6-1 agg, easiest Semi i've ever seen.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down