The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England to play full internationals 'Up North'?

+3
nganboy
EngInAuck
kingelderfield
7 posters

Go down

England to play full internationals 'Up North'? Empty England to play full internationals 'Up North'?

Post by kingelderfield Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

I'm sure there was chat about this around the bid for the 2015 world cup as means to generate interest and sell tickets for northern games during the pool stages. I havn't heard anything since and as far as i'm aware the next 10 England internationals are all sell outs to corporates at HQ.

Personally I think this is the ideal time to move games away from Twickenham and specifically to either Mancherster, Liverpool or Newcastle. The game is currently under represented by professional northern club sides even though player wise northern English players show up well in the Jeff. Hopefully Sale can have a good season, which I think they might?, and Newcastle will gain promotion which I hope they do.

I think moving games away from Twickenham 'Up North' or equally to the Midlands would be a very good thing and not just as a short term marketing tool, but would more generally light the fire at this incredibly exciting time for the development of English professional rugby.

I am not a Rugby League hater, but I think there is a recognisable medium to long term trend for the continued expansion and development of Rugby Union both nationally and even more so globally. Come on RFU lets ride this wave!

Last edited by kingelderfield on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : the paragraphs vanished!)

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

England to play full internationals 'Up North'? Empty Re: England to play full internationals 'Up North'?

Post by EngInAuck Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:11 am

I think its a pretty good idea KingElder although I Dont see it happening on a regular basis IMO

The reasons being the RFU consistently fill HQ Almost every test excluding maybe a few games against the PI teams, So it makes no sense for the to move say a 6nations game or a game against the Big3 "up north" because if they did they would have to pay the owners of the stadium a hefty sum and they would not be able to garuntee 80,000+ tickets would be sold.

Whats the point of spending Millions on building arguably the best Rugby stadium in the world. When your just going to head a few hours up north into a football stadium and make less money?

I think we can expect to see one or two England Vs Samoa/Fiji/Tonga/Possibly Argentina played North of the M1 in years to come butas i said id be surprised if it became a regular fixture.
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

England to play full internationals 'Up North'? Empty Re: England to play full internationals 'Up North'?

Post by nganboy Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:20 am

I imagine moving games out of HQ once in awhile would be to do with rugby reasons rather than money reasons.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:22 am

There's also a code divide as well. League is big up north compared to Midlands/South/West Country.

I remember Bradley Wiggins, off of bikes, talking after winning the tour, and he said his Wigan was just a league crazy town - as are a lot of the northern towns & cities.

I'd love to see more Union played up north, it would be a fun day out away match, but the code split in England is almost as old as the game itself.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:00 am

Problem is there isn't and 80,000 seater up norf in the first place. old Trafford is the closest to this but as someone pointed out, why pay to play somewhere else when you can gaurantee a bigger crowd for 'free' (obviously there are costs for playing at Twickers)

Would love to see NZ play in Mcr but it ain't going to happen unless I win euromillions

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:04 am

I'm not sure. Last time this happened, there was a controversial lap of honour that people still talk about...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

Rugby up here is the minority sport to Football. And that is never going to change.
Though there is a slight change in attitude as many of my mates like the attitude of the rugby players compared to the premadona footballers and the physicality as opposed to the ballet like antics of the footballers.

If Newcastle United would allow rugby games at St James Park suring a world cup it would be excellent..and would be well supported (53000 sell outs) but it wont change much.

Newcastle Falcons should gain promotion again quite comfortably (hoping not to tempt fate) and a better performing Falcons will help rugby in the area...but again wont change things massively.

Football dominates.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down