The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals

+27
Triangulation
fa0019
englandglory4ever
hawalsh
dummy_half
yappysnap
cb
South West Saint
ChequeredJersey
Bathman_in_London
Cumbrian
boomeranga
johnpartle
nathan
HongKongCherry
Sgt_Pooly
majesticimperialman
lostinwales
hugehandoff
HQ matt
Chjw131
beshocked
Bathite
BamBam
Geordie
thebluesmancometh
Scrumpy
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals Empty ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

Uncapped centres Luther Burrell, Joel Tomkins and Henry Trinder have all been added to Stuart Lancaster’s England squad ahead of next month’s QBE Internationals against Australia, Argentina and New Zealand.

England Elite Player Squad for QBE Internationals

Forwards
David Attwood (Bath Rugby)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Corbisiero (Northampton Saints)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Backs

Chris Ashton (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
Joel Tomkins (Saracens)
Henry Trinder (Gloucester Rugby)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)
Christian Wade (London Wasps)
Marland Yarde (London Irish)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Last edited by Scrumpy on Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals Empty Re: ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

No place for the inform George Ford?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals Empty Re: ENGLAND SQUAD for QBE Internationals

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:07 am

I really like the look of the pack, lots of options, sandlots of bench quality.

Little less impressed with the backs, lots of inexperience, weaknesses and once again there just isn't a centre partnership to worry opposition teams.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

Very dissappointed for JJ and Webber too, they both performed very well in Argentina.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:10 am

Burrell and Tomkins...pretty obvious really. Trinder, has he been playing well?

Be interesting to see how Morgan (starting 8) and Kvesic (bench 7) perform with a decent pack. Or if they are simply out of form.

With Corbs out, id say Mako will start, will Lancs be able to bring up another LH? Mullan? Hows he played.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:20 am

Playing behind that Glaws pack must be hard work at the moment. laughing 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:21 am

Have the Saxons been named? If they were even due to be named that is

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:23 am

Not seen anything yet on the Saxons.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:35 am

In an easier format, in no particular order

Corbs, Marler, Mako
Hartley, Youngs
Cole, Wilson
Parling, Lawes, Attwood, Launchbury
Wood, Robshaw, Kvesic, Johnson
Morgan, Vunipola

Dickson, Youngs, Care
Burns, Farrell, Flood
Twelvetrees, Eastmond, Burrell
Tompkins, Trinder
Wade, Yarde, Ashton
Brown, Foden, Goode

Gutted for Webber, but glad he's staying with us. Ford was never going to make that squad, I'm glad they haven't rushed him. We need to persevere with Burns and Farrell in my opinion.

Not convinced that Johnson is the right option, would have preferred to see Fraser. Lawes and Flood are lucky

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:36 am

What ever happens with the Saxons i think they need a good kick up the a$$. They have an exciting array of talents available, yet for me look exceptionally poor. I saw them v Scotland up here in newcastle at KP. Whilst the conditions were poor...we were even worse. And judging by other reviews it didnt get much better.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:41 am

Isn't Fraser injured? If we are looking at Robshaw as a 7 (correctly for me) then other than Johnson I don't see too many blindsides sticking their hand up for selection. Johnson looked good against Cardiff, so sticking to form he isn't a bad selection

Who is coaching the Saxons now?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

Fraser is unfortunately injured again Bathite. Not sure how long he's out for this time.

I think there's quite a lot of good balance in the squad. Johnson in there makes sense - he's a 6 replacing a 6 (albeit the most unorthodox one) Croft.

Can't argue with that squad at all really.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:47 am

Agree aparently Johnson is on fire at the moment, judging by other threads. If thats the case then he warrants his position - after all we have moaned many a time about players being picked ...on form!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:48 am

Webber and/or Ford were never going to appear in this squad. It's just a reiteration of the EPS with those called up for injury cover. It's NOT a new squad pick.

Johnson has been in some good form but I don't see what position he covers well. I wouldn't want to see a BR of 6. TJ 7. C Robshaw 8. B Morgan - puts too much pressure on Robshaw to do too much work.

I'd actually rather see TJ play at 7 if at all. At least he resisted the burning desire to recall Callum Clark!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

Pleased to see Trinder and Tomkins in there. Burrell is behind 36 but gets a chance to stake a claim on from and rightly so. I still think we'll more than likely see 12. B Twelvetrees 13. K Eastmond. I'd like that as a centre partnership. Brown at FB with Foden on the bench.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

Flood is a very lucky boy indeed.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

Chjw131 wrote:Webber and/or Ford were never going to appear in this squad. It's just a reiteration of the EPS with those called up for injury cover. It's NOT a new squad pick.

Johnson has been in some good form but I don't see what position he covers well. I wouldn't want to see a BR of 6. TJ 7. C Robshaw 8. B Morgan - puts too much pressure on Robshaw to do too much work.

I'd actually rather see TJ play at 7 if at all. At least he resisted the burning desire to recall Callum Clark!
God yes, Johnson is a far better selection than bloody Clark

Chjw131 wrote:Pleased to see Trinder and Tomkins in there. Burrell is behind 36 but gets a chance to stake a claim on from and rightly so. I still think we'll more than likely see 12. B Twelvetrees 13. K Eastmond. I'd like that as a centre partnership. Brown at FB with Foden on the bench.
Would love to see that centre partnership outside Farrell, with a back 3 of Yarde, Ashton and Brown

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

thats squad is about right. it seems trinder and burrel have impressed with early season form, jj not. johnson was next in line in the back row. webber is a bit of a surprise omission but he is 3rd hooker in line. ford hasnt warrented a call up yet.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:02 pm

Based on that SL will probably start with....

Vunipola
Youngs
Cole
Parling
Launchbury
Wood
Morgan
Robshaw
Youngs
Farrell
Tomkins
Ashton
Yarde
Brown

Bench; Marler, Hartley, Wilson, Lawes, B Vunipola, Care, Burns, Foden

Is that about right?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:07 pm

Seems to be a lot of agreement over a lot of positions. I could easily see BV overtake Morgan unless his form in training is a good deal better than his performances on the pitch have been of late.

You are probably right about Tomkins but it would be lovely to get Eastmond involved somehow.

Wings - again probably correct but again you'd want to see Wade at some point.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:07 pm

Bit of promising news on Corbs from Lancaster

Lancaster said the 25-year-old faces "a couple of weeks" of rehabilitation but he hasn't ruled the Northampton prop out of the Australia Test.

"He's not out of the series by any stretch of the imagination," said Lancaster. "Everyone is optimistically hoping he will come through and be available for some if not all the games.

"Long term it's obviously something he's struggling with, but we're optimistic that with good management - and his club Northampton have been excellent - we'll see him through beyond 2015.

"We're still quite a way away from the Australia game. We'll give him plenty of time but we'll do what's right for Alex."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24543899

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

hugehandoff wrote:Based on that SL will probably start with....

Vunipola
Youngs
Cole
Parling
Launchbury
Wood
Morgan
Robshaw
Youngs
Farrell
Tomkins
Ashton
Yarde
Brown

Bench; Marler, Hartley, Wilson, Lawes, B Vunipola, Care, Burns, Foden

Is that about right?
Yup seems about right. Corbs and Attwood if both fit enough are likely to be starters? Maybe Attwood less so. Would like to see Eastmond and Wade in too, just not sure if having them both gives us a size problem in the backs

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm

Like the look of the squad. I notice their is no sign of who the captain will be.

Lets hope that the squad will do England proud.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm

Corbs is a concern for me.

Come the 6n this could very well happen again. Id rather not rush Corbs..unless he is completely fit. If not give Mako (or marler) some more valuable gametime against the top opposition...something we know Corbs is very comfrotable at which also means if we do end up in the position with out corbs...we have understudies who we know can play at this level....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm

Really tough on Webber, I'd have took him over Hartley pesonally.

Tom Johnson's inclusion is baffling.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:18 pm

Who would you have though Sarge over Johnson? Not really many outstanding, and by all accounts he has been on fire for Exeter.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

"ford hasnt warrented a call up yet."

How many ‘man of the match’ awards does he need?

I accept his behind Farrell and Burns but he deserved to be there as 3rd choice for his performances so far this season.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:23 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Who would you have though Sarge over Johnson? Not really many outstanding, and by all accounts he has been on fire for Exeter.
This is the 3rd choice no.6 role. He is probably the most like for like replacement. I am assuming Haskell is still injured and they seem to want a 6.5 rather than a heavy duty 5.5 like Garvey , Slater or Kruis

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Burrell and Tomkins...pretty obvious really. Trinder, has he been playing well?

Be interesting to see how Morgan (starting 8) and Kvesic (bench 7) perform with a decent pack. Or if they are simply out of form.

With Corbs out, id say Mako will start, will Lancs be able to bring up another LH? Mullan? Hows he played.

Trinder has been our stand out player so far this season and really seems to have recaptured his form, but without the recklessness. He looks faster than ever and for an OC he has a truly excellent kicking game. Nevertheless, coming into the squad so late I cannot see him starting. His major weakness is his defence where he has a tendency to either rush out or fall asleep. He has improved this immensely, but is it good enough for international level just yet? A well deserved call up, but I expect him to return to Glaws on matchdays.

Unfortunately Morgan has no form to call on. He was good during the Argentina tour, but he just seems off the pace at present. Given the Glaws forwards were unrecognisably better in our last game against Perpignan I would feel he will struggle to get into the current backrow, or ahead of Qera on the bench. Therefore, Vunipola has to be favourite to start - as long as SL doesn't go down the awful route of Tom Wood at 8 again! Shocked 

Kvesic hasn't hit the heights of the Argentina tour either, but he is at least playing much better than Morgan. But I don't feel his form is good enough to justify replacing Robshaw. This is a real shame as now is the perfect time for someone to challenge Robshaw's place and it may take a while for Kvesic to stake his spot.

All in all I think 36 is the only Glaws player who'll start. Whilst Burns is not in bad form, he is not setting the world alight either and I'm not convinced he's done enough to leap frog Farrell or Flood, so I'd expect him to be on the bench.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

I'd have called up Ewers GF, I can't see what TJ brings to the table apart from effort.

Ford is nowhere near ready for the Int stage, he's certainly not near Flood or Farrell imo.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

Ewers can't be called up for the training squad because he wasn't selected in the EPS or Saxons in the summer.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:33 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Ford is nowhere near ready for the Int stage, he's certainly not near Flood or Farrell imo.
Flood has been stagnant for years, how many more chances does he need to nail down the No10 shirt, good clubman nothing more imo.

Ford would benefit being around the EPS more than Flood, as I said he would only be 3rd choice FH cover.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

Still don't think Ford needs to be rushed in just yet. Flood still has something to offer in his experience.

I can see Care overtaking B.Youngs unless Youngs decides to pull his finger out.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

I'd go for:

Vunipola
Hartley
Cole
Parling
Launchbury
Wood
Robshaw
Vunipola

Care
Farrell
Yarde
Burrell
Ashton/Wade
Brown

Youngs
Marler
Wilson
Attwood
Kvesic/Morgan
Youngs
Burns
Eastmond

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm

I don't want to appear to be celebrating injury ... but Corbs missing our test would have to be better for us than him playing.

I wish him wonderful health (and many sons!) in the After-4-weeks-and-forever-beyond period.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

hawalsh wrote:Ewers can't be called up for the training squad because he wasn't selected in the EPS or Saxons in the summer.
I believe he could be brought in as an injury replacement. Its still a tough sell promoting someone with such little experience unless they really are truly amazing. I'd have thought a few more months at league and in the HC followed by a saxon performance or 2 would be the minimum

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Ford is nowhere near ready for the Int stage, he's certainly not near Flood or Farrell imo.
Flood has been stagnant for years, how many more chances does he need to nail down the No10 shirt, good clubman nothing more imo.

Ford would benefit being around the EPS more than Flood, as I said he would only be 3rd choice FH cover.
But then Farrell and Burns and the rest of the backline would benefit from having Flood there; he is after all the most capped back in the EPS and that kind of experience is invaluable.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm

But Flood is a better player than Ford, I don't understand why he'd be selected ahead of him.

Farrell is 22ish? Burns 23/24? It's not like we couldn't do with the experience around the squad and Flood is proven performer on the Int stage.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:57 pm

If Corbisiero actually is out I would really like to see Lancaster pick more beef in the second row, it probably means sacrificing Launchbury for Attwood (something I'm loathed to do), but needs must I suppose.

C'mon Stu bring back the biff!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

If Mako is starting, if anything we have more biff than with Corbs!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

Maybe in the loose, but I'd be more worried about the scrum.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Flood is proven performer on the Int stage.
Performer of what, beating weak teams well?

When was the last time he performed well for England?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:22 pm

Yeah i agree, Mako isnt quite the same as Corbs in the scrums. But as this appears to be a long term...probably career threatening situation over the next few years for Corbs we simply must give our understudies experience against the big teams...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

Scrumpy wrote:

Scrumpy.

I do0 agree with you with regards to Flood being stagnent, i thought he would be either in the Saxons or not in the EPS at all for the Ais.

Regards to ford I dont think it is time for him yet at international level. BUT, i do think he would bennifit from being around the squad, training wise.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:28 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Scrumpy.

I do0 agree with you with regards to Flood being stagnent, i thought he would be either in the Saxons or not in the EPS at all for the Ais.

Regards to ford I dont think it is time for him yet at international level. BUT, i do think he would bennifit from being around the  squad, training wise.

I agree he isn't ready yet, but the guy has something special and really would benefit being around the England setup even if it is just for training and being 3rd pick FH.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

Pretty happy with that squad, there are a few selections that could be quibbled with, but overall I like it.

Of course the sad reality is that a few of those players will get injured between now and the Oz game, so there are bound to be a few more tweaks over the coming weeks.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Maybe in the loose,  but I'd be more worried about the scrum.
Ah yes, sorry I took your comment on Attwood to be more about loose play than scrum. If we were to bring in Attwood, wouldn't he be likely to pack down on the tighthead side?

Not being a scrum expert, would this help Mako out very much?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

hawalsh wrote:Ewers can't be called up for the training squad because he wasn't selected in the EPS or Saxons in the summer.
That's not the case, he could've selected anyone as injury cover. Not that I think he should've in this instance. Ewers has looked really good but needs a full season and Saxons appearance first. Although Morgan turned down the Saxons when invited!

I still don't understand people going on about Webber. Why would we want to replace a BR with another hooker?

JJ hasn't shown the sort of form that would've got him his place back but picking three centres ahead of him is a bit of a blow to the lad I would've thought. If Corbs is out i'd expect Lancs to select Vunipola, his scrummaging is a work in progress but he could go well against OZ.

Any news on Attwood? Launchbury has put in some more storming performances for Wasps but not really in the same game areas as Attwood.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

If Corbs is out i'd expect Lancs to select Vunipola, his scrummaging is a work in progress but he could go well against OZ.
Dont forget he has already played in a Lions tour against Oz...and bar a torrid 20 mins - half an hour spell...generally did very well.

He's no Corbs in my opinion...but he offers whole different prospect to Corbs and he's only young.

Likewise Marler is only young and needs gametime.

Aside from those two and Mullan who else realistically is there?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
If Corbs is out i'd expect Lancs to select Vunipola, his scrummaging is a work in progress but he could go well against OZ.
Dont forget he has already played in a Lions tour against Oz...and bar a torrid 20 mins - half an hour spell...generally did very well.

He's no Corbs in my opinion...but he offers whole different prospect to Corbs and he's only young.

Likewise Marler is only young and needs gametime.

Aside from those two and Mullan who else realistically is there?
Yes he had some issues in the second Test but came back well. Also some questionable refereeing. Offers a lot in the loose as we know, Marler i'd be happy enough to see there.

4th choice should probably be Mullan but I don't think he's been outstanding. After that Nick Wood but he's banned at present. After that Nathan Catt. Let's hope we don't have a prop crisis akin to 2009 when PDJ got capped.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next