The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS

+24
lostinwales
damage_13
kingelderfield
Biltong
ME-109
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Poorfour
niwatts
majesticimperialman
robshaw4england
stnick88
Effervescing Elephant
Triangulation
mbernz
LondonTiger
Chjw131
Jimpy
beshocked
Toadfish
EnglishReign
bluestonevedder
No 7&1/2
Geordie
HERSH
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Do you like it?

England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_lcap24%England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 9 ]
England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_lcap18%England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 7 ]
England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_lcap39%England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 15 ]
England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_lcap18%England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 38

England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Empty England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:17 am

Forwards:
Mouritz Botha (Saracens)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
James Haskell (London Wasps)
Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
Courtney Lawes. (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Tom Palmer (London Wasps)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Backs:
Anthony Allen (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Ashton (Saracens)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)
Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
Charlie Sharples (Gloucester Rugby)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Empty Re: England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

Most im ok with...

But im really bother by Dowson in there has he played this season....and the lack of sorting out the Second row.
Parling gets loads of big reveiws...but i just dont see it. Palmer hasnt been in the electric form of the last few years and Botha whilst a trier...is not international class.
Lancs could have really taken this time to have a good look at what we have...Launchbury simply HAD to be chosen....

Has Sharples played any games this seaons?
And Farrell...well i dont think we need to discuss that one.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS Empty Re: England Squad for the AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:28 am

On the whole I like it but i just wish there had been one or two changes. Like falcon says Launchbury for Botha and Would have liked to see either Twelvetrees or Eastmond as a wildcard style pick.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am

I'm ok with most of it, and can see why SL couldn't just change the whole squad. There needs to be a level of consistency.

But, Botha, Dowson, and Farrell's inclusion as the only backup FH? Terrible.

Also, I'm annoyed at JTH's inclusion, and feel 36 would have been a better choice over him. JTH is just Barritt MKII in my eyes.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 am

But we knew Lancaster would only replace the injured players, so any that were already in the EPS and not injured would retain their place.

Disappointed Burns didn't get a call up. Monye seems to have got that extra place, despite the fact that we have other wing options in there if Sharples isn't in form.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 am

I think you can pick a good 23 out of that but think we can dispense with the likes of Waldrom, Botha, Dowson and JTH but am not up to speed with the EPS rules etc. If they picked this 23 I wouldn't be disappointed:

Marler
Hartley
Cole
Lawes
Parling
Wood
Robshaw
Morgan
Care
Flood
Ashton
Barritt
Tuilagi
Monye
Brown

Vunipola
Wilson
Youngs
Palmer
Haskell
Youngs
Farrell
Goode/Joseph (Can't decide)

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 am

As much as it hurts me to say it being a Bath fan, Burns and Twelvetrees should have been in there.

Also why no Biggs the guy has been in great form for Bath for a couple of seasons and he can tackle, what has he got to do?

Eastmond would have been a great guy to have there too, as nobody knows much about him, he is a game changer if ever I saw one, Jason Robinson MkII
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 am

Agree with Biggs, probably the most dangerous looking winger at the moment. Has been for some time.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:47 am

I agree with Biggs too. Guy must be kicking himself. What has he got to do? He's put some huge defensive hits in this season too, in areas i'm sure would have been converted for tries. He is very unlucky.

SL must not like his hair.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:01 am

EnglishReign wrote:But we knew Lancaster would only replace the injured players, so any that were already in the EPS and not injured would retain their place.

Disappointed Burns didn't get a call up. Monye seems to have got that extra place, despite the fact that we have other wing options in there if Sharples isn't in form.

Absolutely...we knew that MASS changes wouldnt happen...and overall the majority would say yeah the squad is as we would pick it ourselves...BUT there are the odd selections that still wrangle with us...as Johnson did previously.

Botha and Dowson for example...should simply not be there especially when you have someone like Launchbury pulling up trees etc. Likewise Fearns is performing far better than Dowson who in my opinion has missed the boat.

Likewise Farrell simply should not be there not only for lack of form...but for lack of any kind of attacking skills.

We have players like Twelvetrees and Burns who are (pretty much) the best performing players in their position in the country..yet not a sniff?
Cristian Wade is the type of player that can produce magic ...we have noone else in the squad who has that x factor at the moment.

He was allowed to make 8 changes i believe should he wish to...and i think he's missed a few opportunities here.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:09 am

The more I think about it, the more I think Dowson is in there for experience, and as an authority figure. With Wood, Johnson, and Haskell as pushing for the remaining backrow position alongside Robshaw and Morgan, Dowson would really have to stand out in training to make the bench. Haskell covers all three backrow positions better than him, Wood is an exceptional talent that covers 6, 7 and possibly 8, and Johnson I believe could be starting at 6 given his excellent form this season.

Still, it's a squad position that could have been given to a younger player to get EPS experience.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:But we knew Lancaster would only replace the injured players, so any that were already in the EPS and not injured would retain their place.

Absolutely...we knew that MASS changes wouldnt happen...and overall the majority would say yeah the squad is as we would pick it ourselves...BUT there are the odd selections that still wrangle with us...as Johnson did previously.

Botha and Dowson for example...should simply not be there especially when you have someone like Launchbury pulling up trees etc. Likewise Fearns is performing far better than Dowson who in my opinion has missed the boat.

Likewise Farrell simply should not be there not only for lack of form...but for lack of any kind of attacking skills.

We have players like Twelvetrees and Burns who are (pretty much) the best performing players in their position in the country..yet not a sniff?
Cristian Wade is the type of player that can produce magic ...we have noone else in the squad who has that x factor at the moment.

He was allowed to make 8 changes i believe should he wish to...and i think he's missed a few opportunities here.

I completely agree with you that we need to offload the deadwood, I just didn't get my hopes up for this announcement as SL said he wouldn't replace the non-injured.

I wasn't sure sure how many he could actually change but if it is 8 like you say, then I am pretty annoyed that Lancaster has been so stubborn and restricted himself to not picking the in-form players. But it's something I've come to expect.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 am

Poor Botha gets a brutal beating from armchair pundits. The scapegoat. I probably wouldn't have him in the squad but he's one of the most maligned players unjustifiably IMO. He's been pretty good this season IMO.

Reality check guys - the 2nd row choices are mediocre in general. Palmer and Parling hardly get the pulses racing.

I wouldn't have Sharples in the squad. What's he done this season?

What does JTH offer that the other centres don't?

LondonTiger put the stats on the table and Biggs didn't come out looking very good even though I do like him as a player.

Farrell is much maligned but he's the best defending fly half. He's mentally strong and is a great place kicker. Not a bad player to close out a game.

He's a contrast to Flood. Plus he can cover 12 and 13.

Bringing in T.Youngs and Vunipola is a smart move. I have been critical of T.Youngs but I think he's getting better and is ready for the England squad now.

I would swap Twelvetrees in, JTH out. Dowson out, someone else in. Botha out, Borthwick in (no joke, he's been on fire and is still the best lineout guy in England) or alternatively Garvey, Sharples out, Burns in.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:25 am

Botha does work hard, but then again so does my washing machine!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 am

HERSH wrote:Botha does work hard, but then again so does my washing machine!

Are you suggesting your washing machine plays for England? Can't see it being very efficient in a rugby match to be honest!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:33 am

Botha's inclusion is a travesty when you consider the form Lauchberry is in. Botha reminds me of a shaggy dog bounding about with no real direction, from one silly penalty to another. He's a good club player, and not much else.

Stats, Stats, Stats .... they can be used to make any point you want, fact is, Biggs is on form and should be given a chance really, although I'm not going to lose sleep over his absence.

Burns over Farrell is a tough one - Farrell is good defensively but his complete lack of attacking nouse brings games to a standstill, we need attacking flair - God knows the mid-field has needed something to get them going for ages, and Farrell isn't it - at least Burns has a bit of life in him.

And before whomever it may concern goes off on one claiming that this is an anti-Saracens post, I' just like to point out I have no problem with any of the other Saracens selections, including Vunipola, and i'd have Launchberry over Parling.

Okay?

Last edited by Jimpy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:34 am

beshocked wrote:
HERSH wrote:Botha does work hard, but then again so does my washing machine!

Are you suggesting your washing machine plays for England? Can't see it being very efficient in a rugby match to be honest!

I don't know. If it's a BOSCH it might go quite well in the England Rugby team. Excuse the pun.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 am

Jimpy wrote:Botha's inclusion is a travesty when you consider the form Lauchberry is in. Botha reminds me of a shaggy dog bounding about with no real direction, from one silly penalty to another. He's a good club player, and not much else.

Stats, Stats, Stats ./... they can be used to make any point you want, fact is, Biggs is on form and should be given a chance really, although I'm not going to lose sleep over his absence.

Burns over Farrell is a tough one - Farrell is good defensively but his complete lack of attacking nouse brings games to a standstill, we need attacking flair - God knows the mid-field has needed something to get them going for ages, and Farrell isn't it - at least Burns has a bit of life in him.

If you going to leave out Botha might as well leave out the mediocre Parling too. Bring in Garvey and an actual proper lineout operator with experience Whistle

You say Biggs is in form. Who should he replace? I would rather have Wade or Burns in the squad.

Of the wingers I would say Monye,Ashton and Wade are ahead of him.

It shouldn't be Burns vs Farrell.Should be 3 fly halves in the squad - Farrell,Burns and Flood. Farrell is a direct contrast to the other two. He offers something different.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 am

My Washing machine is just as good as Farrell going forward and is faster than Brown too.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

beshocked wrote:
Jimpy wrote:Botha's inclusion is a travesty when you consider the form Lauchberry is in. Botha reminds me of a shaggy dog bounding about with no real direction, from one silly penalty to another. He's a good club player, and not much else.

Stats, Stats, Stats ./... they can be used to make any point you want, fact is, Biggs is on form and should be given a chance really, although I'm not going to lose sleep over his absence.

If you going to leave out Botha might as well leave out the mediocre Parling too. Bring in Garvey and an actual proper lineout operator with experience Whistle

You say Biggs is in form. Who should he replace? I would rather have Wade or Burns in the squad.

Of the wingers I would say Monye,Ashton and Wade are ahead of him.

It shouldn't be Burns vs Farrell.Should be 3 fly halves in the squad - Farrell,Burns and Flood. Farrell is a direct contrast to the other two. He offers something different.

Its a funny old thing, but I did say exactly that, I said i'd have Launcberry over him - did you miss that?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:59 am

HERSH wrote:My Washing machine is just as good as Farrell going forward and is faster than Brown too.

But is it better than Connacht?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:04 pm

beshocked wrote:Poor Botha gets a brutal beating from armchair pundits. The scapegoat. I probably wouldn't have him in the squad but he's one of the most maligned players unjustifiably IMO. He's been pretty good this season IMO.

Reality check guys - the 2nd row choices are mediocre in general. Palmer and Parling hardly get the pulses racing - Absolutely mate...Garvey, Attwood, Launchbury should have been looked at this AI's.

I wouldn't have Sharples in the squad. What's he done this season? I have said on the other thread...he shouldnt be there..Wade, Yarde, May...another missed chance.

What does JTH offer that the other centres don't? Nothing...Twelvtrees should have been picked.

LondonTiger put the stats on the table and Biggs didn't come out looking very good even though I do like him as a player.

Farrell is much maligned but he's the best defending fly half. He's mentally strong and is a great place kicker. Not a bad player to close out a game.- Mate can we not pick a 10 for his attacking abilities first...as long as they are not a revolving door...they can close games out aswell.

He's a contrast to Flood. Plus he can cover 12 and 13- So can the better Twelvetrees

Bringing in T.Youngs and Vunipola is a smart move. I have been critical of T.Youngs but I think he's getting better and is ready for the England squad now.- Agree thumbsup

I would swap Twelvetrees in, JTH out. Dowson out, someone else in. Botha out, Borthwick in (no joke, he's been on fire and is still the best lineout guy in England) or alternatively Garvey, Sharples out, Burns in. - Agree with all ...bar Bortwick...though i agree totally he is the most impressive English lineout operator still...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:06 pm

On it's day etc...

I'm glad we're have a sensible discussion for once Jimpy thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Please remember that this squad announcement was rather meaningless. By the arrangements in palce with the clubs Lancaster could only make changes for injuries to the squad that he will have for the extended training periods.

He was not allowed to make any changes based on form. Thus the squad was always going to look like the one he selected at the start of the season.

However he can still call people up once we are into the international window. (Hw won't unless there are injuries I reckon)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 pm

I have nothing against Farrell but he doesn't even play 10 for his club, yet is our only alternative to Flood. Does that not seem crazy to anyone else?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm

EnglishReign wrote:I have nothing against Farrell but he doesn't even play 10 for his club, yet is our only alternative to Flood. Does that not seem crazy to anyone else?

It does because Burns should have been given a shot - or should I say, I hope he will be given a shot.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:26 pm

He only had one injured back he was allowed to replace - Foden. With just Ashton and Sharples we needed an extra outside back.

The issue is that he selected a poor mix at the start of the season. 3 very similar ICs was too many.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm

What a stupid system where by we can't pick players on form!

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm

He can select players on form - he just cannot take them away from their clubs for extended sessions over and above standard release.

Remember the current system is what SCW wanted and could not get. guaranteed access to players, ability to manage their workload etc etc. Previously the first time the coach would see the players was the Monday before a match.

Finances then dictates how many players are in the EPS.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mbernz Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:34 pm

HERSH wrote:
Also why no Biggs the guy has been in great form for Bath for a couple of seasons and he can tackle, what has he got to do?

These were on the wing selection thread, of the options most were considering he's actually got some of the least impressive attacking stats and the worst tackling numbers, missing 1 in 3 tackles.

stlowe wrote:Sharples/Wade Biggs/Monye Abendanon/May in the AP:

Matches 2/6 6/5 6/4
Tries 0/3 1/4 1/0
Try Assists 0/1 2/0 1/0
Passes 5/25 1/16 21/16
Carries 13/43 19/53 51/25
Metres 27/474 167/270 447/146
Clean Breaks 0/12 4/6 6/0
Offloads 1/19 0/8 3/1
Defenders Beaten 2/11 6/3 9/6
Tackles 3/24 15/20 21/12
Missed Tackles 0/4 7/5 5/2

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:35 pm

mbernz wrote:
HERSH wrote:

These were on the wing selection thread, of the options most were considering he's actually got some of the least impressive attacking stats and the worst tackling numbers, missing 1 in 3 tackles.

stlowe wrote:Sharples/Wade Biggs/Monye Abendanon/May in the AP:

Matches 2/6 6/5 6/4
Tries 0/3 1/4 1/0
Try Assists 0/1 2/0 1/0
Passes 5/25 1/16 21/16
Carries 13/43 19/53 51/25
Metres 27/474 167/270 447/146
Clean Breaks 0/12 4/6 6/0
Offloads 1/19 0/8 3/1
Defenders Beaten 2/11 6/3 9/6
Tackles 3/24 15/20 21/12
Missed Tackles 0/4 7/5 5/2

But he has such flowing golden locks, aesthetically, he is so much better. Apparently.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I would have had 36, Burns, Fearns and Launchbury in for

JTH, Allen, Dowson and Botha.

That said

I also think that for all his hard work Botha is dross - he misses too many tackles and drops ball.

I'd have swapped him for Launchbury who is the next big thing at srow.

Still one can still put together a good 23 fron this lot….

Marler
Hartley
Cole
Lawes
Palmer/Parling *
Haskell/Wood
Robshaw (c )
Morgan
Care
Flood
Barrit
Tuilagi (covering 12)
Ashton
Sharples/Monye
Brown

Wilson
Vunipola
T.Youngs
Parling/Palmer
Haskell (covers 6,7,8) /Wood (covers 6,7)
B.Youngs
Alex Goode (covers 15 and 10)
Joseph (covering 13 and wing)

* (for lineout and ball carrying balance it's either Parling srow with Haskell 6 OR Palmer srow with Wood at 6 )

Right now then if we win 2 or less AIs and Bomber gets the jack…..give me a newly created England Head Armchair Selector Job!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 pm

I think we'll win 3.

I also think we'll due a win against the All Blacks.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Well beat the kiwis if we team up with the other sides.

Scotland and Wales can rough them up for us and give us all the good oil then we can finish them off?

Im sure that proposal would go down well....

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Triangulation,

I think you've pretty much got it nailed with that team and bench mind.

Big issues/ things for me to watch:

1) Marler had a baptism of fire in SA...and his developing scrummaging skills were equal to them...can he now best them and extend this to bring in his carrying game aswell.

2) Can Morgan play at this level for 80 mins. And can he give England what hes there for...big plays carrying that ball and getting through the gainline.

3) Can Robshaw prove that he can match the best 7's from down under.

4) Can the England pack as a whole create forward momentum and big carrying plays..(and my favorite the rolling maul Very Happy ).

5) Can the 10/12 axis (Flood / Barritt) provide the creativity required.

6) Finally just where are we with regards to the second rows.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Justice_4_Borthwick.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Hersh

Borthwick is chopped liver.

Served up with some fava beans and a little chianti fth fth fth fth fth

GeordieFalcon

Very kind of you sir!

I agree with your big issues/questions too. The rolling maul is i think back in vogue in world rugby. Everyone's doing it. I think even the aussies will have a crack at it now.

I think that the aussies now quite fancy their pack. I hope they're wrong. Historically when they match us at forward we're in deep trouble vs them.

I add to your issues/questions...

Can the following MASSIVE positive from this season......picked up by Will Greenwood....

"In the first two rounds of this year’s Aviva Premiership there were 226 offloads, compared with 126 during the same period last season. The offload has been responsible for eight bonus points compared with two last time round. And, more tellingly, it has set up and directly contributed to 64 tries compared with 45 last season. "

Be repeated by England at Test level??

God i hope so.

Launchbury is good at it too. Get him in asap.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:42 pm

We shall see with that question...and the others in the next month or so.

I think if he doesnt get on the pitch at some point in will be a tragedy....he MUST be brought in to the match day squads for some of the games.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Does the Saxons squad get the same training days as the main EPS?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Sharples, Dowson, Botha and Johnson bother me a bit.

Botha is a decent player but nto really the future. Launchbury or Garvey in.
Sharples hasnt done much, would prefer Wade or Biggs.
Johnson and Dowson are both too old for me, but if i am honest cant think off the top of my head who should be in instead. Johnson is a good player mind.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:56 pm

I think Johnson is well worth his place...on is Exeter performances which have been very good.
Dowson should be replaced by Fearns ...no question.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:56 pm

the passengers that we are all aware of must be in there because they're fit in with lancaster's "culture".

He takes it too far IMHO.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Likely Starting XV

Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Courtney Lawes. (Northampton Saints)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)

Danny Care (Harlequins)
Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Ashton (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)

Likely Bench

Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Palmer (London Wasps)
James Haskell (London Wasps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)

Rest of Squad
Mouritz Botha (Saracens)
Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
Anthony Allen (Leicester Tigers)
Charlie Sharples (Gloucester Rugby)

The main issue for me is that Owen Farrell is more than likely to make the match day squad. His form for Saracens has been anything but consistent. Saracens have looked a far better team with Hodgson at 10, and look shapeless and lacklustre when Farrell plays. Defence and goal kicking alone is not good enough at international level. I would have liked to have seen an alternative 10 such as Freddie Burns who is in red hot form brought into the EPS. I'm also hoping Cipriani comes good over the next few months and really pushes hard for selection.

No.8 is also an issue. Morgan impressed in the six nations, yet went off the boil in the summer internationals against better opposition. Waldrom is a solid club no.8, however does not quite seem right as an international level 8. I would have liked to have seen Haskell have a crack at no.8 for Wasps, however the emergence of Billy Vunipola there and the signing of Ashley Johnson have kept Haskell on the flank.

I'd quite like Lancaster to really develop Lawes as an enforcer lock, and look to bring in someone such as Launchberry, Attwood or Garvey and see how they would handle life in the test arena.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:03 pm

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.flags.net/images/largeflags/UNNA0001.GIF&imgrefurl=http://www.flags.net/UNNA.htm&h=260&w=388&sz=9&tbnid=pegaksj3MqxEIM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__w7rk2IjyzPph_kkcJsplcr8h9Tg=&docid=EIbXnTJishBGaM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wGGJUJGTFtKb1AX8vIDwDg&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAQ&dur=632

Official England rugby Flag

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 pm

He was not allowed to make any changes based on form. Thus the squad was always going to look like the one he selected at the start of the season.

I thought the EPS only lasted as long as the tournmanet lasted.( the 6n for example) then when the summer tour comes around a new EPS is formed. is that right.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm

stnick88 wrote:
Johnson and Dowson are both too old for me, but if i am honest cant think off the top of my head who should be in instead. Johnson is a good player mind.

There are players I would have in ahead of them, but they're not too old. They'll be 33 & 34 come the World Cup, the same ages as Johnson & Back in 2003. Hore & Thorn from last year's WC winning side were 33 & 36. In the French side that met them in the final, Servat & Bonnaire were both 33, and Nallet 35.

I'm pretty certain that Lancaster will stick with Johnson at blindside for the AIs, he did well on tour and is continuing to play well for Exeter.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Triangulation wrote:
I add to your issues/questions...

Can the following MASSIVE positive from this season......picked up by Will Greenwood....

"In the first two rounds of this year’s Aviva Premiership there were 226 offloads, compared with 126 during the same period last season. The offload has been responsible for eight bonus points compared with two last time round. And, more tellingly, it has set up and directly contributed to 64 tries compared with 45 last season. "

Be repeated by England at Test level??

God i hope so.

Much as I'd like to see it, I don't think the offloading game is going to happen for England this season. For one thing, Easter is very possibly the best offloader in England at the moment, but not in the squad. For another, offloading requires a good understanding of the players around you. Our back row and back line are likely to come from 6 different clubs, two of which aren't noted for their offloading.

If Lancaster plans to go that way, he will need time and a consistent squad. Or, a team that has a spine of players from a club that offloads a lot. He hasn't got either right now.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Can anyone explain to me why so many posters are picking Haskell and Wood at 6 ahead of Tom Johnson? Have they not been watching the prem and the Heino? Headscratch

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Was looking at the squad and for a second what with the Tuilagi's and Vuniopola's , not to mind aBotha thrown in for good measure i thought it was the Pacific Islanders squad...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:05 am

DOD wrote:Was looking at the squad and for a second what with the Tuilagi's and Vuniopola's , not to mind aBotha thrown in for good measure i thought it was the Pacific Islanders squad...

viewtothegym wrote:http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.flags.net/images/largeflags/UNNA0001.GIF&imgrefurl=http://www.flags.net/UNNA.htm&h=260&w=388&sz=9&tbnid=pegaksj3MqxEIM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__w7rk2IjyzPph_kkcJsplcr8h9Tg=&docid=EIbXnTJishBGaM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wGGJUJGTFtKb1AX8vIDwDg&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAQ&dur=632

Official England rugby Flag

My word, I though I'd walked into the royal variety show for a minute. Insult removed

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next