The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread

+36
hodge
kemet
Dave.
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
JDizzle
dummy_half
EnglishReign
FerN
Gerry SA
VTR
Fists of Fury
Liam
guildfordbat
Duty281
ShankyCricket
DouglasJardinesbox
andyi
ChequeredJersey
hampo17
Mad for Chelsea
chrisss
Good Golly I'm Olly
Mike Selig
Shelsey93
Hibbz
trebellbobaggins
liverbnz
msp83
mystiroakey
gboycottnut
KP_fan
GSC
Biltong
alfie
ShahenshahG
eirebilly
40 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread - Page 9 Empty England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread

Post by eirebilly Sun 19 Aug 2012, 1:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yeah, the fielding certainly has left alot to be desired. Still the chances are being created and things must surely stick soon.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:53 am

a run! hallelujah!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread

Post by VTR Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

We're just keeping it tight here. No need to worry, 150 runs will be scored between lunch and tea for the loss of no wickets.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

alfie wrote:
But do you really think the Strauss failure is down to his eyes going ? Wasn't much wrong with them a couple of months ago...I reckon it is more likely the pressure of captaincy against a very strong opponent which has amplified a natural tendency to lapses of concentration...some off field stuff may not have helped either.

It wasn't only his dismissal, a ball he tried to play earlier on he really didn't seem to pick up at all. And there have been a few this series.

I don't know whether it's eyes - it could be that last night for whatever reason picking the ball up was difficult. It could be as you say lapses in concentration with everything else going on. England will probably know.

But the 2 months thing is a red herring - your eyes really go from one day to the next. Gilchrist made the point when he retired.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:56 am

Another point on the Strauss dismissal- I didn't see it , but have read the dramatic descriptions Smile

Not the first time Strauss has been guilty of questionable early "leaves" , though he has got away with it on other occasions ...I recall the first ball of the second innings in Brisbane in 2010 , where he left a delivery which struck him on the pads to my own horror at least - the Aussies were convinced they had the perfect start but the umpires and Hawkeye showed it just too high , after which , 110 , 517/1 and details are forgotten...
Have seen other example too , though I can't quote time and date.

Maybe he just misjudged the length ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:57 am

The ball should be old enough now for the batsmen to feel a little more confident. Smith has set up a very containing field and is instructing his bowlers to bowl negatively. Cant argue with him on that though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:58 am

Mike Selig wrote:
alfie wrote:
But do you really think the Strauss failure is down to his eyes going ? Wasn't much wrong with them a couple of months ago...I reckon it is more likely the pressure of captaincy against a very strong opponent which has amplified a natural tendency to lapses of concentration...some off field stuff may not have helped either.

It wasn't only his dismissal, a ball he tried to play earlier on he really didn't seem to pick up at all. And there have been a few this series.

I don't know whether it's eyes - it could be that last night for whatever reason picking the ball up was difficult. It could be as you say lapses in concentration with everything else going on. England will probably know.

But the 2 months thing is a red herring - your eyes really go from one day to the next. Gilchrist made the point when he retired.

I can attest to that, I went for some serious operations a year and a bit ago, never before did I wear reading glasses, now I can't read %^^& without them.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:58 am

Oh dear what a daft run out ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:59 am

and a run out, great stuff Trott Doh

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:59 am

Terrible cricket by Trott. Very selfish.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:59 am

Oh for heaven's sake!

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm

feel very sorry for Taylor there, Trott has no right to refuse his call, it's a relatively easy run if he's paying attention, very very poor and exactly what England didn't need Sad

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

And a run out. I think that's that now. All over. We'll back to NO.1 very shortly though, India, New Zealand x 2 and Australia x2 are our next 5 Test series.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

Who's out. Trott or Taylor?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:02 pm

Biltong wrote:Who's out. Trott or Taylor?

Taylor

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:03 pm

That was just plain daft Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:03 pm

Duty281 wrote:And a run out. I think that's that now. All over. We'll back to NO.1 very shortly though, India, New Zealand x 2 and Australia x2 are our next 5 Test series.
Are you some sort of wind up?

This is Our time and you're making these odd claims?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:04 pm

That was rubbish... Clearly a run was available... Can see us being bowled out an hour before tea at this rate...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:04 pm

Blimey you chaps and your eye problems ...actually varies a lot for different people. Some indeed lose it dramatically , though I suspect it is a more gradual process for most , unless some trauma is involved.

Mine went years ago ...actually decades Smile ...but thanks to contact lens and some adaptation I still manage reasonably enough when batting.

Don't have to face Steyn or Philander though Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:04 pm

Duty281 wrote:And a run out. I think that's that now. All over. We'll back to NO.1 very shortly though, India, New Zealand x 2 and Australia x2 are our next 5 Test series.
We have OZ away X3, then NZ at home X2, then Pakistan at home X3.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

Well, I think Australia will beat you in your next series 2-1 due to their home advantage and their resurgence. If that happens, Australia will be No.1. Nope, not on a wind up.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

and Trott plays out another maiden, he's annoying me now, started with good intent but now seems to be playing for himself Doh

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

Not the first time Trott has refused a run when it wasn't his call and resulted in a run out either. I don't think it was a particularly good call, a bit too tight in these circumstances, and Taylor should have seen earlier that Trott wasn't coming and turned back.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

As it happens SA's lead will be very marginal. Hence its not inconceivable that we should make a swift return. Having said that SA's next series are against Australia (away), New Zealand and Pakistan (at home). Would expect them to win those.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:and Trott plays out another maiden, he's annoying me now, started with good intent but now seems to be playing for himself Doh

Scoring rate isn't really the problem here, its wickets.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Well, I think Australia will beat you in your next series 2-1 due to their home advantage and their resurgence. If that happens, Australia will be No.1. Nope, not on a wind up.
Well I believe Australia's batting is weak and our bowling should be too strong for them. I'd go as far as saying our batting is vastly superior to theirs!

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm

alfie wrote:Blimey you chaps and your eye problems ...actually varies a lot for different people. Some indeed lose it dramatically , though I suspect it is a more gradual process for most , unless some trauma is involved.

But once they start going (not dramatic, just a fraction) you can't play international cricket anymore. Without laser treatment or whatever.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

As it happens SA's lead will be very marginal. Hence its not inconceivable that we should make a swift return. Having said that SA's next series are against Australia (away), New Zealand and Pakistan (at home). Would expect them to win those.
If England where playing New Zealand next I'd tend to agree. But I find that India is one of the toughest places to win at.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

wow Trott plays an attacking shot, pinch me someone...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

Having seen the replay the 4th run was clearly on had they gone for it. Did Taylor call loudly enough?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:wow Trott plays an attacking shot, pinch me someone...
The biggest question is did it come off? Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

If England where playing New Zealand next I'd tend to agree. But I find that India is one of the toughest places to win at.

India are on a sharp decline now though, so I'd say England 2-1 in that series.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

Taylor Runout, Its all coming apart for England, will be something if they manage to stay alive till tea.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:12 pm

Biltong wrote:

yeah, upper cut four over backward point.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:13 pm

having said that, lovely cover drive from Trott there, 57-4

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:13 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
Biltong wrote:

yeah, upper cut four over backward point.
clap Absolutely Wonderful.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:13 pm

Was horrible running indeed. Feel a bit sorry for Taylor who has missed a chance to play an innings and demonstrate his ability at this level , but he was culpable too ...really didn't run that like a man intent on running four from the start , was rather a late decision to try for the fourth somewhat sprung on an unsuspecting Trott...certainly Trott mainly to blame , but it wasn't great from either of them.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

Getting easier for batting now, which makes the ridiculous run-out all the more disappointing.

Target is to get to 220/4 off 80. Fat chance.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

Trott gets another 4, the counter-attack is on!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:15 pm

Trott dropped by a diving Rudolph at third slip off Kallis. Runs away for four 61-4

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:15 pm

Tough chance, but should have got a hand on it at least.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm

We need one more, one more.

C'mon guys!!England v South Africa, Lords, 3rd Test Thread - Page 9 Smiley-angelic003
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm

A dropped catch (ok hard chance) could that be the break and the luck England needed?

Not over yet people. We all know how Trott can hang in there and that Bairstow got 95 first inngings, not over yet Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

Trott's been dropped, the tide is turning.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

That may well be the case, but they seem to have finally ditched some of the deadwood.

So some of their younger players will want to show they can play Test cricket

Most importantly they haven't lost at home in along time. Where maybe they should've, twice we came close but they claimed the drawn series.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

and now a pretty ordinary bit of fielding by Morkel at mid-off, though it was a well-struck drive by Bairstow.

Wheels coming off for SA?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Your optimism is admirable but I am afraid that is unfounded.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:and now a pretty ordinary bit of fielding by Morkel at mid-off, though it was a well-struck drive by Bairstow.

Wheels coming off for SA?
Wishful thinking MAD.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

that's the one that worries me to Bairstow, the full and straight one. Deals with it well there though, clipping through mid-wicket for four more. 69-4

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm

England turning up the pace now.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm

Misfield there. See No.1 is a curse, all your ability gets diminished because of it. South Africa have only got hand on the mace, and the wheels are coming off.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next