The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez

+15
Imperial Ghosty
Super D Boon
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Knowsit17
The genius of PBF
azania
Fists of Fury
John Bloody Wayne
Boxtthis
Seanusarrilius
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
Commander
19 posters

Go down

HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez Empty HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez

Post by Commander Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=419oSFkW3wE#!

Pretty interesting.

Commander

Back to top Go down

HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez Empty Re: HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

Cheers

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez Empty Re: HBO Face Off: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 26 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

Chavez - "I won't be relying on my weight and size, I'll be relying on my boxing and intelligence.

Martinez - "So you are lost then."

Love Sergio, so hyped for this!!!!!!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

I keep saying this, but it is the first time Sergio has ever looked really angry in a fight. Even in Williams II where he was coming off a controversial loss he wasn't like this.

Chavez Jr is going to take a hiding in this fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 26 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

Chavez Jr looks genuinely unsettled and scared in that video. Hoping Martinez rips him a new one

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:20 am

Enjoyed this a lot. I am so hopeful that Sergio bangs him out.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 27 Aug 2012, 7:00 pm

Great faceoff. Martinez is definitely looking a lot stronger in terms of the psychological battle. Jr looks rattled. Gonna be so interesting to see if Chavez can put real pressure on Martinez or whether he'll just get blasted.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:58 pm

Have boxnation got this?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:13 pm

Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:14 pm

Wow, Sergio was like a father putting a cocky teenager in his place.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:26 pm

Martinez is fantastic both in and out of the ring. I'd quite like to see him hand out a whupping.

However, got a feeling this fight may be a little closer than many are expecting. I'm still backing Martinez to win, but I don't think he will do so without his share of problems.

Looking forward to it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:30 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:got a feeling this fight may be a little closer than many are expecting. I'm still backing Martinez to win, but I don't think he will do so without his share of problems.

I think a few people have got this little niggling feeling. That's what's making this one interesting. If you were betting you'd say Martinez all the way, but there's something about the strength, pressure, chin, and intensity of Jr that makes it worth having 2nd thoughts about.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:got a feeling this fight may be a little closer than many are expecting. I'm still backing Martinez to win, but I don't think he will do so without his share of problems.

I think a few people have got this little niggling feeling. That's what's making this one interesting. If you were betting you'd say Martinez all the way, but there's something about the strength, pressure, chin, and intensity of Jr that makes it worth having 2nd thoughts about.

I just think Junior is going to eat straight lefts and rights constantly. And if he does that has to take its toll. Regardless of the juice

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

I just think Junior is going to eat straight lefts and rights constantly. And if he does that has to take its toll. Regardless of the juice

Is that what you think or what you want to happen?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:28 pm

azania wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Is that what you think or what you want to happen?

Both

There is a huge talent gap in this fight, the only thing that closes it is Junior's size and ability to take a shot

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

Big events for boxing next month got two mouthwatering fights in Ward vs Dawson and Martinez vs Chavez.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

Would love Chavez Jr to get put to sleep just to see Sulaiman's expression at losing his favourite poster boy.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

Chavez is what he is, a bully with power, size and a great chin but is easy to outbox

Lee, Manfredo, Rubio, Zbik and Duddy all had their moments where they managed to confuse Jr and win rounds and none of these have anywhere near as much talent as Martinez has so I see a fight that will be similar to Martinez-Pavlik

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:51 pm

I read on twitter this is going to be primetime PPV for 15 quid.

So boxnation must be out of it's mind to think people will pay each month just for Frank Warren cards and the odd card from Germany, and that we'll have corporate waingro back. The best thing about boxnation was the possibility of big fights from the states along with everything else and they're not blooming showing them.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:54 pm

Boxnation don't have this (I wish they did) they have the Canelo mismatch instead.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:57 pm

Don't knock box nation you should see the current lineup...

Felix Sturm vs Daniel Geale
Randall Bailey vs Devon Alexander
Lucas Martin Matthysse vs Ajose Olusegun
Yoan Pablo Hernandez vs Troy Ross
Entire Canelo card
Ricky Burns vs Kevin Mitchell
Alexander Povetkin vs Hasim Rahman
Kubrat Pulev vs Alexander Ustinov
Danny Garcia vs Erik Morales
Paulie Malignaggi vs Pablo Cesar Cano
Denis Lebedev vs Guillermo Jones

Not bad for the next month and those are just the 'world' level fights

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:00 pm

They must be having a laugh for 15 quid, the fight could be over by the middle rounds.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:01 pm

Mattysse v Olugsen is going to be spectacular. Love Mattysse!!!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:04 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Love Mattysse!!!

Me too. Still undefeated as far as I'm concerned!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

OK they've got alot on, but for the nation's dedicated boxing channel to let one of the biggest fights of the year with a top 6 P4Per go to a little PPV outfit is silly.

Yeah, Mattyse is great viewing!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:21 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:OK they've got alot on, but for the nation's dedicated boxing channel to let one of the biggest fights of the year with a top 6 P4Per go to a little PPV outfit is silly.

Yeah, Mattyse is great viewing!

Have you seen much of Olegsun?

Not sure how decent he is ... I have seen him in action, just trying to gage opinion on him

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:32 pm

Come on Serge!

Never did like the old Chavez that much so would love to see the new considerably less talented, protected and PED suspected Chavez to take a well earned pasting in this one. boxing

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:04 pm

Mark my words Chavez is going to taking a hammering, he thinks Martinez can't knock him out, its going to be brutal. Its also the first time I have seen Sergio genuinely angry

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

Olesugun from what i've seen should handle Matthyse reasonably comfortably and then has the easier fight against the champion Garcia after.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

Its not the size advantage that makes this fight interesting as he looks poor with the extra weight but how uninspiring Martinez looked against Macklin and barker, something wasn't quite right in those fights, maybe lack of motivation or maybe a slight decline

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:27 pm

From the limited footage I've seen online Olusegun didn't look too elusive, and if Lucas can find you he'll hurt you. He's been in with a better class too - Judah and Alexander.

I haven't seen enough of Olusegun to really know, but if I had to pick I'd go with Lucas. Ajose's punching looks a bit swingy.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:26 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Chavez is what he is, a bully with power, size and a great chin but is easy to outbox

Lee, Manfredo, Rubio, Zbik and Duddy all had their moments where they managed to confuse Jr and win rounds and none of these have anywhere near as much talent as Martinez has so I see a fight that will be similar to Martinez-Pavlik

pavlik martinez was close. pavlik came back into in the middle rounds and even dropped martinez. so if you think this fight will be the same then expect a tough fight for martinez. other than his peach of a shot against williams second time round, you would have to say martinez toughest fights have been against pressure fighters. williams, pavlik and margarito were all very close fights for him. martinez doesnt seem capable of boxing for 12 rounds, and this even showed against macklin and barker. also martinez is not the hardest to hit or drop. maybe chavez will gain a bit of respect on here if he fights well, or maybe martinez will have to come down from his pedestal, as im not sure we can have it both ways.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

The closer this fight gets, the more worried I become. Martinez should have enough to beat Chavez Jr - in a technical sense, he's cut from a much more impressive cloth - but he'd better make sure he does it convincingly. The problem is, I don't think he can / will knock Chavez Jr out.

There's been a glut of odd decisions lately and, generally speaking, I find that these tend to come in bunches. If Martinez is as slow out of the blocks as he was against Barker and Macklin, he might be in a spot of bother. Chavez doesn't have the skills to offset him, but he could perhaps outwork him and win rounds purely on coming forward.

I'm expecting Chavez Jr to be a good stone heavier than Sergio by the time that first bell rings, too.

I think that, come the second half of the fight, Chavez Jr will be getting straight right and counter-hooked all over the ring, but Martinez needs to be mindful of giving him a start in the early rounds. Truly do hope that Martinez gets the win here.

Assuming he's on form, and isn't too cautious, he'll take over later on to win via a decision. Hopefully this niggling worry I've got will disappear.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

The key to this fight is Martinez's demeanour, he is really angry and when people make him angry it doesn't end well. Macklin was doing fine until he made Martinez touch down, Martinez got angry and then we all know what happened. I don't think Martinez will start slow, I see this as a mismatch of epic proportions.

Remember Chavez Jr scraped by Zbik, many people thought he lost it. The hype around this seems to be clouding people.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

I think whats causing people to have doubts is the reason Chavez is taking the fight at all. It suggests they are confident of winning ne way or another. Its not a fight they needed to take if they didnt want to. Chavez could make good money fighting lesser opponents and I think fighters like Sturm, Macklin, Geale, Murray who basically stand in front of you are made for Chavez style.

Chavez is notoriously very big and strong at the weight.
He has an underrated inside game, good body attack and good pressure. So far seems to durable too. The problem he faces is that these are the kind of things that dont really work well against Martinez. Chavez I get the impression needs his opponents to stand in front of him so he can overwhelm them or walk them down. But Martinez doesnt do that. Hes a mover and is agile and slippery. He ducks, slips and moves at the waist alot and his lowish hands allow him to get off quick counters. He tends to crouch low and has good head movement so body attacks are pretty much out due to his stance. Hes rarely stands in the same place for long which could render Chavez good inside game as reduntant. So overall hes definately not an opponent I would select as a good style for Chavez.

So why is Chavez risking his world title, as an underdog, against Martinez? Im not really sure. There could be an element of what happened with Lucien Bute against Froch. Maybe the criticism has got to him and he genuinely wants to prove himself to people. He could be underestimating Martinez and overestimating himself. Martinez performances against Barker and Macklin might have made him confident he can go one better. Martinez is ageing now also. Maybe they feel the time is right.

The more sinister reasons are due to Chavez potentially having additional help both in and out of the ring. Maybe they feel if he can just remain upright for 12 rounds then the judges and his WBC connections will do the rest. Maybe the less stringent drug testing has opened other possibilities. I hope this isnt the case anyway.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

I agree with you Manos, I just think its a mismatch. They think Chavez can win since Martinez was not at his sparkling best for his last two fights.

Since Martinez bends at the waist, moves a lot and keeps his hands low its going to be really difficult for Chavez to land to the body. Also since Martinez hands are low and he has good handspeed Chavez won't know where they are coming from and it will look like he is moving in slow motion.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:46 am

Martinez is so intense in that. From the Q & A he did on here and that Face off he really seems to hate boxing politics and care about his legacy just as much as the money.

Hopefully he does a serious job on Chavez and opens up the possibility of a fight against PBF.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down