The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 6 Flankers in world rugby

+19
bazalicous
Morgannwg
OzT
BamBam
drsambo1928
Mr Bounce
Sgt_Pooly
thebandwagonsociety
Geordie
kiakahaaotearoa
bedfordwelsh
Don Alfonso
Biltong
gowales
anotherworldofpain
ChequeredJersey
TJ1
nganboy
wales606
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top 6 Flankers in world rugby

Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap16%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 64 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap2%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 8 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap3%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 12 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap15%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 59 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap0%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap1%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 4 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap1%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap0%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap7%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 27 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap6%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 22 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap6%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 24 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap3%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 13 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 10 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap8%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 33 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 11 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap5%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 18 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap12%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 46 ]
Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_lcap2%Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 396

Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Empty Top 6 Flankers in world rugby

Post by wales606 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:14 am

Pick 6...

Jerome Kaino and Brussow not included as they havent played international rugby for a year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Top 6 Flankers in world rugby Empty Re: Top 6 Flankers in world rugby

Post by nganboy Mon 27 Aug 2012, 2:31 am

What about Vito and Thompson?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:19 am

should be a few more scots there :-)

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

Hard this one- can't believe 4 people picked Tipuric already...

Went for McCaw, Pocock (despite having a subpar summer), Dusautoir (can't believe anyone woukdnt pick him), Rennie, Kelly Brown (I think we will see this when he gets back) and Ferris. After that, the likes of Warbs, Robshaw, Alberts and SOB. Zanni also v underrated. List missing Gill, Higginbotham, Wood, etc
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

wales606 wrote:Pick 6...

Jerome Kaino and Brussow not included as they havent played international rugby for a year.

It's Aug 2012, they play in October 2011. A bit harsh I think. They're not dead or retire or anything.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:48 am

Kaino can't play international rugby anymore either because he's in Japan.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:49 am

Kaino will probably be at the next world cup. So I wouldn't get too excited. He would have played in the 4N like SBW aside from the injury and at any ways he is still the best 6 in the world whether or not he play in Japan. Sounds like some borderline discrimination against Japanese club rugby to me!!!

Brussow is not in Japan...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

I would pick Burger as his impact on the pitch is unrivalled, his workrate on defence and attack makes him one of the best in the world, his game also evolved a lot in recent times and for a backrower his offloading game is superb.

McCaw must be there.

The rest in my opinion are still a ways off.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:34 am

Biltong wrote:I would pick Burger as his impact on the pitch is unrivalled, his workrate on defence and attack makes him one of the best in the world, his game also evolved a lot in recent times and for a backrower his offloading game is superb.

McCaw must be there.

The rest in my opinion are still a ways off.

Still a ways off what? So the best six flankers ibn world rugby are McCaw and Burger? You're going to have to explain this one to me. Possibly quite slowly. And with diagrams. Who are the remaining four?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

Not much to explain, there are plenty of class flankers, but for me difficult to pick them apart, so rather than just name 6, I named the two that in my opinion are great without a doubt.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

I think that poll is pretty much spot with McCaw, Pocock and Dusatoir clearly out in front and a clutch of players around the same % due largely I imagine to a bit of National pride, after all I voted for Lydiate in my top 6

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

McCaw, Pocock, Dussautoir, Ferris, Alberts, Croft

Last edited by gowales on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I put 7 names instead of 6!)

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

Biltong wrote:Not much to explain, there are plenty of class flankers, but for me difficult to pick them apart, so rather than just name 6, I named the two that in my opinion are great without a doubt.

Fair enough. An honest "not sure" is a good answer.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:40 am

I don't think Pocock is a top flanker. I think he is very good at the breakdown, but limited in most other departments.

Compare him to McCaw and Burger, they are brilliant defenders, brilliant ball carriers, in general play they stand out, McCaw can also pilfer, but that is only part of his make up.

When you take Pococks pilfering away from him, what's left?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:42 am

Biltong wrote:I don't think Pocock is a top flanker. I think he is very good at the breakdown, but limited in most other departments.

Compare him to McCaw and Burger, they are brilliant defenders, brilliant ball carriers, in general play they stand out, McCaw can also pilfer, but that is only part of his make up.

When you take Pococks pilfering away from him, what's left?

22 - 0. Yahoo

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:44 am

McCaw, Alberts, Pocock, Dusutoir, Croft, Ferris....Nice mix...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:45 am

Croft? Give me a break!

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:48 am

gowales wrote:McCaw, Pocock, Dussautoir, Ferris, Alberts, Warburton, Croft

Hard call between Croft and Lydiate, but Croft has had more world class performances

But you've picked 7 already, so throw in Lydiate as well to make it an even 8 players in the top 6 list.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

Dusatoir, McCaw, Burger are the top three (I know he's injured but I won't include Juan Smith or Ferris who I also rate). Then SOB, Lydiate, Croft and the Scottish players Rennie and Brown are a step down but very handy. Pocock was not right with his knee even before he was ruled out but I do agree he hasn't refined his game in other areas so he's at the same level.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
gowales wrote:McCaw, Pocock, Dussautoir, Ferris, Alberts, Warburton, Croft

Hard call between Croft and Lydiate, but Croft has had more world class performances

But you've picked 7 already, so throw in Lydiate as well to make it an even 8 players in the top 6 list.

Doh

Yea just edited it

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:50 am

TJ wrote:Croft? Give me a break!

Yes...because what he does is unique and hugely effective...if you watched the last 6n...you would have seen that...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:McCaw, Alberts, Pocock, Dusutoir, Croft, Ferris....Nice mix...

I'm pretty much in line with this except I threw in Zanni for Croft.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:. List missing Gill, Higginbotham, Wood, etc

Higginbotham included in the no8 poll, because he played there last week - and the no8 poll was looking pretty weak, whereas he probably isn't in the top 6 flankers.

What about Vito and Thompson?

I thought about including them, but they are behind Messam for the ABs (who has been very good) and would be behind Kaino if he was playing. I have never been that impressed with either and I don't think they have ever put in a top 6 performance (unlike everyone else on the list imo)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
TJ wrote:Croft? Give me a break!

Yes...because what he does is unique and hugely effective...if you watched the last 6n...you would have seen that...

Really? I must have missed that. All I saw was a effective but not outstanding player. Certainly not one of the best in the world.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

So Robshaw, Croft, Dennis and Tupiric have done more than the world cup winning flankers Thompson and Vito? I thought you said Kaino is in Japan so he doesn't count? you want it both ways?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:So Robshaw, Croft, Dennis and Tupiric have done more than the world cup winning flankers Thompson and Vito? I thought you said Kaino is in Japan so he doesn't count? you want it both ways?

Yes. Robshaw has put in top6 performances - most recently in SA. As did Tipuric in the 6Ns and in Aus. Croft was the best 6 in the world at one point. David Dennis perhaps not.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

Laugh Top skills. I almost read that like you meant it the first time! Very subtle!

Anyway, the whole poll is a bit rubbish anyway is my mind. You can't compare an open side and blind side and decide who is "best". Also the back row "best" is about best for the combinator and match to the skills in the tight to the optimum compromise for agility, breakdown service, carrying, defensive, lineout and scrum. So a mix-and-match of "best" make no sense and come to no conclusion.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

Croft was the best 6 in the world at one point? At what point was that? Pretty sharp ended point. We can all have differences in opinion. Personally I have always rated Ferris above Croft, though they are different players. But that is a very bold claim.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Croft was the best 6 in the world at one point? At what point was that? Pretty sharp ended point. We can all have differences in opinion. Personally I have always rated Ferris above Croft, though they are different players. But that is a very bold claim.

Leading up to the last Lions tour if memory serves.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote: Laugh Top skills. I almost read that like you meant it the first time! Very subtle!

Anyway, the whole poll is a bit rubbish anyway is my mind. You can't compare an open side and blind side and decide who is "best". Also the back row "best" is about best for the combinator and match to the skills in the tight to the optimum compromise for agility, breakdown service, carrying, defensive, lineout and scrum. So a mix-and-match of "best" make no sense and come to no conclusion.

The reason I didn't have a separate poll for 6 and 7 is because is so there was a place for the French and SA Flankers who play left and right. Combinations are important, but this is about standout performances in their team. If you don't like the poll, don't vote of read it.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

Well like I said, you are entitled to your opinion. I respectfully disagree and have always seen Juan Smith as the premier 6 but have unfortunately been deprived of seeing him play there due to cruel luck with injuries.

I think Croft has always been capable of big things but has lacked consistency in delivering that potential. Ferris in my view is much more consistent.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

Well, I didn't vote for Croft as top 6 at the moment. I think I voted for Ferris actually.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm

I remember a thread a few months back and to me blindside flanker was the most competitive position in world rugby with so many strong performers.

There seems a dearth of quality though in quite a few positions in world rugby at the moment, which is alarming.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 3:31 pm

McCaw
--------
Dusatoir, Ferris, Pocock, Kaino, Brussow

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 27 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

I think Zanni is hugely underrated. Has been a good servant for Italy and would do well in virtually any any other side.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:11 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well like I said, you are entitled to your opinion. I respectfully disagree and have always seen Juan Smith as the premier 6 but have unfortunately been deprived of seeing him play there due to cruel luck with injuries.

I think Croft has always been capable of big things but has lacked consistency in delivering that potential. Ferris in my view is much more consistent.

Ferris always surprises me with his consistency... consistently high level of performance while consistently being visibly carrying an injury (just think if that kid could get a run at an entire season fully fit).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

Not quite as consistent in picking up injuries as Juan Smith but similar presence when they are fit and playing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Went for McCaw, Pocock, Ferris, Alberts, Dusatoir and Warburton, all very good players.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:19 pm

Kind of surprised not to see Alberts get more votes. I probably don't watch as much rugby as some of the guys here, but that man is an absolute wrecking ball

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

probably cause it's early days yet, but yes, he is a big strong fella

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

Alberts is something else, he is so explosive it is unbelievible

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm

If SA can use him properly it'd be great. Imagine what he could do with Burger or Smith or Brussouw alongside!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:45 pm

I did say recently that Alberts and Burger are the best options at number 8 for SA, way ahead of Spies.

Anyway top 6 flankers.... It's got to be the Irish back-row and then the rest catching up, right?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bazalicous Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

Richie McCaw
Stephen Ferris
Sam Cane
David Pocock
Sean O'Brien
Justin Tupuric

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

At this immediate moment?

McCaw
Pocock
Tipuric
Robshaw
Brown
Zanni

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:47 pm

McCaw, Pocock, Tipiric, Robshaw, Brown and Dusatoir
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

Brown seriously? Even Tipuric seems a stretch in the company of mccaw and pocock

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:56 pm

Pocock is good but he did get cuffed by Rennie in the summer when I last saw him play.

McCaw is on his own by some distance at the top. Not much between my other picks IMO.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bazalicous Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:57 pm

This Poll and Thread should be split into Blindsides and Opensides because it's hard to have 2 flankers as different as Ferris and McCaw in same one...

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:57 pm

If we are saying at the moment, McCaw isn't playing, Poccock is injured and has never looked like the player he was in 2011 since the RWC, Brown had an immense 6N and I've never seen him play badly and he has arguably better form (and certainly more consistently over a longer period of time) than the admittedly excellent Tipuric
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next