The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers

+9
yappysnap
BigTrevsbigmac
Barney McGrew did it
fa0019
Geordie
BamBam
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
maestegmafia
13 posters

Go down

Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers Empty Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers

Post by maestegmafia Tue 25 Aug 2015, 11:33 pm

Neil Back created a lively debate on Wednesday when he said that Chris Robshaw does not rank in the top five openside flankers in world rugby.

From PR.com

Speaking to PA Sport, the 2003 Rugby World Cup winner suggested that England are lacking in both quality and focus in the back-row, with the captain and James Haskell put under the spotlight. Back believes Robshaw is trailing the game's best sevens while Haskell needs to focus less on off-field activites.

Back is preaching to the choir with us here at PR HQ as we have witnessed so often how integral the openside is, whether through work at the ruck, dynamism around the field and in several of the best players in this position, outstanding leadership. Unfortunately Robshaw is a long way down the pecking order.

While former Leicester and England great Back believes the tournament host's skipper ranks outside of the top five, we'd go as far as to say that stretches to ten on the list. So, herewith our current standing of openside flankers in the game.

Ten best openside flankers (in no particular order)

Richie McCaw: 142 caps and counting, McCaw is a true leader of men who has so often made the right decisions at the right time in big matches. With 27 tries, he has unrivalled knowledge of the sport and knows how to push to the limits without getting on the wrong side of the officials.

Michael Hooper: What he does with such a small frame is admirable. Hooper doesn't just make countless tackles in matches, he smashes opponents to win the gainline battle. He also possesses searing pace that causes both forwards and backs real problems when he backs himself on a carry.

David Pocock: Arguably the number one openside of 2015 so far as he has shone for both the Brumbies and Wallabies. Pocock combines outstanding work at the breakdown with powerful carries. Expect to see him and Hooper combine in a formidable combination for Australia in this World Cup.

Sam Cane: Made his Super Rugby debut aged 18 and All Black bow two years later. Cane has 24 Tests to his name and if not for McCaw would have plenty more as the Chiefs man boasts real dynamism with ball in hand combined with a steeliness at the ruck. The All Blacks' seven in waiting.

Schalk Burger: What can we say about the player both on and off the field? Highly respected by his rivals and team-mates, he has fought back from bacterial meningitis and enjoyed an outstanding season for the Stormers, adding greater link play and skills to his arsenal. A top flank.

Francois Louw: If not already the South African will surely go on to be rated as one of the best imports to the Premiership. Put simply, Louw has every tool required to be a top back-row forward and it's no coincidence that Bath's rise up England's ranks followed after his arrival.

Thierry Dusautoir: Arguably only McCaw has achieved more than Dusautoir on this list, and the 2011 World Player of the Year remains the benchmark in the northern hemisphere. It's hard to think of any player who has offered more defensively, and if the best players show up on the biggest stage, then Dusautoir's an all-time great.

Sam Warburton: It's amazing to think that Warburton is still only 26 years old, with the Welsh captain bursting onto the scene so young. He has already captained the Lions to a series victory and Wales to two Six Nations titles including a Grand Slam in 2012, while he also has unfinished business at World Cups.

Sean O'Brien: Certainly not what you would call a traditional openside, but O'Brien is probably the best ball-carrier on this list. While injuries have hindered him over the last couple of seasons, he bounced back strongly in the Six Nations, and has shown his ability to win turnover ball at crucial moments as well. He will take some stopping at the World Cup.

Steffon Armitage: England have deemed him surplus to requirements, and they will be hoping that decision doesn't come back to haunt them. Undersized he may be, but Armitage's low centre of gravity makes him nigh on impossible to shift when he clamps down on the ball at the breakdown. The 2014 European Player of the Year will likely end his career with only five caps though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers Empty Re: Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers

Post by doctor_grey Wed 26 Aug 2015, 12:23 am

very politically correct list: 2 Kiwis, 2 Aussies, 2 South Africans, 1 Frenchman, 1 Welshman, 1 Irish, 1 Englishman.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers Empty Re: Planet rugby's Top Ten Openside Flankers

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Aug 2015, 10:22 am

I would have Tipuric ahead of Armitage, Louw and Burger. Maybe Sam Cane too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 26 Aug 2015, 10:35 am

Louw for me is one of the very best, surprised you think that Guns

My top 5 in no order would be McCaw, Pocock, Louw, Warburton and Cane

Problem I have with the likes of Hooper and Tipuric is that they can be beaten physically, the guys I have at the top will have an impact even if the rest of their pack is struggling

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 26 Aug 2015, 10:42 am

Ok all very well slating Robshaw, but id have him in the top 10.

The main option with Englands 7's is who is available??

1) Will Fraser - The great young Sarries hope is made of glass

2) Matt Kvesic - Was class for Worcester, moved to Glos and was appalling. Finally started to be consistently the player we hiped for this season...and by god he was good this season for Glos. He should have been given game time for England.

3) Stefon Armitage - All the huff and puff...but the bottom line is he chose to to renew his contract abroad knowing he would not then be selected for England.

4) The Rest - Wallace at Quins, etc etc are all not showing whats required.

Maybe young Clifford is the answer he was outstanding this season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 26 Aug 2015, 11:52 am

I would say Brussow and Coetzee are better opensides than Burger but Burger is a better overall player.

I also rate the kiwi scots chap who wears a scrum cap. He plays well especially behind a pack always on the backfoot.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Wed 26 Aug 2015, 1:27 pm

When England win Robshaw is always 'good'. When we lose, he's always 'bad'. In fact he's nearly always good. It's just sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

The Armitage thing should be about having a plan B off the bench and injury/rest cover, not about replacing Robshaw. Because Robshaw's our #1 #7.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 26 Aug 2015, 1:33 pm

Agree Barney, Robshaw is just underated by so many.

I just worry about his workrate. He never gets a break, he works harder than everyone else (stats measured on the pitch)...and that's when Kvesic should have had run outs.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 26 Aug 2015, 4:40 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Agree Barney, Robshaw is just underated by so many.

I just worry about his workrate. He never gets a break, he works harder than everyone else (stats measured on the pitch)...and that's when Kvesic should have had run outs.

He was pretty awful last week, has been in a few games I've seen too. The players on the list don't really have many bad games.

But the main difference is the guys on the list, plus a few more are all game changers. Robshaw rarely makes that kind of difference.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Wed 26 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

He was pretty awful last week, has been in a few games I've seen too. The players on the list don't really have many bad games.

But the main difference is the guys on the list, plus a few more are all game changers. Robshaw rarely makes that kind of difference.

yeah, right Rolling Eyes
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 26 Aug 2015, 8:00 pm

Http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-v-england-warren-gatland-8597911

The last time Robshaw played against Warburton even the unbiased Fail admits 'Warburton faded'

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 26 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

I'll bite.

So what did he do that was awful? I don't remember any mistakes by him, he conceded 0 pens and made 13 tackles. Yes he didn't score a try, and his only turnover was when France had an advantage, but then England's whole pack were dominated. And the gameplan seemed to be about disrupting opposition ball rather then attempting turn overs hence why we had so few across the team.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Aug 2015, 8:37 am

maestegmafia wrote:

The whole team was poor...not fair to single him out.

I also disagree that Robshaw never makes a difference. He makes a huge difference. I just think at times he's managed incorrectly. Lancaster uses him and Wood as crazy workhorses left and right flankers rather than Robshaw specifically playing the 7 role.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 27 Aug 2015, 8:41 am

It's good to see maesteg's Internet connection is working again. He seemed to be having trouble with it after the Wales/England game in February. He had trouble getting online at a similar time the year before too. I understand that his area will be affected around the end of September too.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:02 am

I was going to comment on the same thing Cyril, great minds and all that

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:16 am

The problem with many of these lists is is favours people who play in dominate teams - so a winning team - automatically raises the 7's higher - even if they are not the reason

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:23 am

Riskysports wrote:The problem with many of these lists is is favours people who play in dominate teams - so a winning team  - automatically raises the 7's higher - even if they are not the reason

Fair point

In 2009 Jon Barclay was the top openside in the UK... didn't even make the Lions squad when he should have made the team.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:39 am

fa0019 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:The problem with many of these lists is is favours people who play in dominate teams - so a winning team  - automatically raises the 7's higher - even if they are not the reason

Fair point

In 2009 Jon Barclay was the top openside in the UK... didn't even make the Lions squad when he should have made the team.

In 2013 - Kelly Brown and Chris Robshaw were two of the top opensides in the 6 nations but didn't make the 2013 Lions squad.

Also Risky sports you bring up a fair point.

Jacques Burger and Mamuka Gorgodze are two excellent backrowers but because they play for weaker national sides aren't recognised.

Would be fascinating to know how those two would do in a good national side. We know what they can do in strong club sides.

As for Steffon Armitage doesn't seem right to have him on the list because he's not a current international.

Would replace Armitage with Robshaw, J.Burger or Gorgodze (though technically wouldn't call him an openside).

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:48 am

can't agree on Robshaw or Brown. Neither are 7s regardless of where they play. They both play as 6s in a 7s jersey. Robshaw should have toured but wasn't the premier 7 at the time or now.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Robshaw has played 7 for club and country for years and years FA? How is he not a 7?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Aug 2015, 12:01 pm

fa0019 perhaps not true opensides but they are good enough.

Robshaw still managed to get the upperhand on Warburton this year despite not being a true openside.

I remember Brown in 2013 being instrumental in their win over Ireland wearing the 7 shirt.

Quite a few flankers can and do play 6 and 7.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 27 Aug 2015, 12:19 pm

beshocked wrote:fa0019 perhaps not true opensides but they are good enough.

Robshaw still managed to get the upperhand on Warburton this year despite not being a true openside.

I remember Brown in 2013 being instrumental in their win over Ireland wearing the 7 shirt.

Quite a few flankers can and do play 6 and 7.

The whole front five were bullied that day, Warburton cannot win a ruck against four or five forwards on his own. That whole day was a bad day at the office for our forwards, you cannot blame Warburton for being the crap one that day. If you need to have a go about Warburton for anything, have a go at his performances for Blues when he can be bothered to play for them, he is world class for team Wales, but for his region he is mediocre at best.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down