The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scotland Openside Curse

+7
justified sinner
InjuredYetAgain
Geordie
RuggerRadge2611
GLove39
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
NeilyBroon
11 posters

Go down

The Scotland Openside Curse Empty The Scotland Openside Curse

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 28 May 2013, 10:33 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22687130

It strikes again... Bugger.

This is deeply concerning as again we will be depending on Kelly Brown to marshall the open flank again, which as we all know already isn't his best position. But then again, who do we actually have to bring in at the moment?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

The Scotland Openside Curse Empty Re: The Scotland Openside Curse

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 28 May 2013, 10:52 am

Fusaro is fit again, I think, didn't he play 7s recently? Was he named on the original tour party or not?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 28 May 2013, 10:53 am

Fusaro is fit again, I think, didn't he play 7s recently? Was he named on the original tour party or not?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 28 May 2013, 10:55 am

Damn. I was so looking forward to seeing the killer B's reunited at long last.
Is Rennie still injured ?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 28 May 2013, 11:33 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Fusaro is fit again, I think, didn't he play 7s recently? Was he named on the original tour party or not?

I don't think so... but if this is true that he has been playing some rugby recently they should give him the international exposure, I just want to see Kellybrows back at 6 for Scotland!

Rennie's still injured I think/too quick to bring him back in.

Will we ever have a fit set of flankers? Let's hope that Brown doesn't pick up an injury!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 28 May 2013, 11:35 am

I'm almost tempted to say bring back Ally Hogg, even though he's not been in the top flight he's been playing very well, plus he has a fair bit of international experience, and he can play openside from what I remember.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 28 May 2013, 11:41 am

We should thank our lucky stars that we have such quallity opensides. I can't for one minute think we have ever had a time where Rennie and Barclay have both been injured before this season.

We are now being kind of exposed by a lack or quality and or a lack of experience to replace these guys. It's good to know that they are still considered young for Flankers especially when you consider how good McCaw and Bonnaire are at their respective ages. We should still get another RWC out of them both.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May 2013, 12:16 pm

Hogg has been excellent, but is there anything to be gained by bringing him back for this comp...even if your a little short of numbers.

Are there no youngsters who have shown potential and would benefit far more by playing against the sides...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 28 May 2013, 8:39 pm

I am guessing that Hogg must have done something to upset the powers that be. He is one of our more gifted ball players but he has been overlooked since before he left Edinburgh.
It would be good to see him back, though. I don't imagine Newcastle will want to see him risked if they are gearing up for (hopefully anyway!) a return to the AP.
Geordie - is Hogg a key man for you guys for next season?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 8:58 pm

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me intruding but what has happened to Alisdair Strockosch? I always thought he was a good player. Has he been in the Scotland squad of late? Is he just not very good or not in favour?

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 28 May 2013, 9:15 pm

Griff. I think he busted a cheekbone and so missed much of the 6n. A good player but hasn't really cemented his place in any of the back row places so has become a good stop gap if a first choice player Beattie, Barclay, Brown etc is out
On the plus side, he did give us one moment of comedy gold last year when he and Jo Ansbro nutted each other by mistake celebrating just after beating Aus. On the down side, Ansbro needed a bucket load of stitches and missed game time because of it

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 28 May 2013, 9:16 pm

In the squad, but very much a 6. One of our better back row performances this year was against Australia with Stroker 6, Rennie 7 and Barclay 8. Rennie and Strockosh had very good games that day and we won 9-6.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 9:23 pm

Cheers guys. Just remembered him as a back row option but hadn't seen him for Scotland for a while.

I think I remember the nutting celebration incident! Classic.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 28 May 2013, 9:59 pm

It would appear that we aren't calling up a replacement backrow, and going with a squad of 30. This leaves us five back rowers; Beattie, Brown, Denton, Wilson and Strokes.
I don't see a natural 7 in that lot. Actually I see three sixes and two eights.
So Brown, Denton and Strokes as first choice. With Wilson and Beattie as cover. I think both Beattie and Wilson have had better seasons than Denton but feel the hard grounds will better suit his more athletic style.
Then again you could play the three 8's against Samoa as it will probably be 15 a-side 7's, if that makes any sense.
Probably Brown and Strokes to start against the Bokkies as chopping their big runners on first phase is a must.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 28 May 2013, 10:05 pm

Pip, I'm expecting Stroks-Brown-Beattie as first choice 6-7-8, purely as incumbents, and take your pick from Denton and Wilson on the bench. Presumably Fusaro still crocked, else that's a major feic-up not calling him up IMO

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 28 May 2013, 10:06 pm

Fusaro has only played Glasgow City 7's so not a high standard of rugby at all... I'd expect Ryan Wilson to be the back row cover on the bench as he can play all three positions (similar to Kellybrows but his best position is 8 instead of 6)

6. Stroks
7. Brown
8. Beattie

20. Wilson
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 May 2013, 11:28 pm

I personally think Roddy Grant has a lot of potential as an openside for Scotland. He impressed me a lot during the derby over xmas. Sadly, I don't think he'll ever get a cap if Fusaro and Rennie are to be the 7's of the future. But you never know I guess...

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 28 May 2013, 11:29 pm

For anyone advocating that Hogg should be added to the squad should think back to the start of his Scotland career when Taylor and White were his back row colleagues. White provided the power( and hits) and Taylor carried superbly. Hogg played a linking role and did it well. however the game has moved on physically anf Hogg really isnt any more powerful than he was and he probably isnt as quiick, plus i dont think he has much recent experience at 7, pretty sure he is usually is an 8 at Newcastle.

On the plus side I was chatting to Fusaro a couple of days after the Glasgow 7's and he asssured me that his groin injury had fully cleared up and he was was raring to go for next season.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 May 2013, 9:09 am

Hogg has moved around the back row, but in general your right sensiball that he has predominantly been 8 and sometimes 6. 7 has been quite rare, but he definately has the ability to play there.
He has obviously been one of the key players for us this season, it will be interesting to see if he has the same impact next season if we make it back up tonight...i dont see why not...we are emplying a punishing conditioning regime...so he will certainly be fit and strong enough. He is also a leader and captain...

My only thoughts as i said above is that in a "friendly competiton" is there any point taking up a spot that could be filled by a raw youngster.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 29 May 2013, 3:29 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Fusaro has only played Glasgow City 7's so not a high standard of rugby at all... I'd expect Ryan Wilson to be the back row cover on the bench as he can play all three positions (similar to Kellybrows but his best position is 8 instead of 6)

6. Stroks
7. Brown
8. Beattie

20. Wilson
I think you're probably correct UIG, but coming on the back of the 6Ns with Kellybrows at 7 it does make you wonder abut our depth at 7.Theoretically we have Barclay, Rennie and Fusaro and all three have lots in their favour, but they are all injured and the cupboard is looking bare. Roddy Grant is a fine club player but has spent far too much time in John Barclay's back pocket ever to deserve a Scotland jersey.
p.s. "back pocket". . is a metaphor but not that kind of metaphor. Just stop it, right now stop it. Wink

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 31 May 2013, 11:17 am

Injury update. Ford is ruled out of the summer tour with a claf tear. Replaced by human bullet head Scott Lawson.
Still should be a great opportunity for Pat MacAthur to finally get that first cap.

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri 31 May 2013, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 31 May 2013, 12:40 pm

Bad news for Ford but MacArthur must be given the chance to start a couple of matches. He needs the experience to really press for a starting spot next season.

He's not as heavy as Ford but really dynamic in the loose, and also significantly heavier than wee Lawson, who has been a great stalwart but we definitely need new blood in the 2 shirt.
Also Pat's darts have been much better than Ford's this season.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down