The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread

+33
Pot Hale
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
Artful_Dodger
Ozzy3213
UlstermaninGlasgow
21st Century Schizoid Man
theshanker
Rory_Gallagher
cp10
WillyGilly
Pat_Mustard
RuggerRadge2611
neilthom7
Cari
MrsP
Cryptoyourisan
RDW
reallybored
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
Captain_Sensible
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Kingshu
clivemcl
Backrower678
Thomond
2bFair
geoff998rugby
Notch
Don Alfonso
Jenifer McLadyboy
Rava
37 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread

Post by Rava Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ulster XV & replacements to play Glasgow, RaboDirect PRO12, Fri 31st August (7.05pm), Ravenhill

(15-9): J Payne; M Allen, C Farrell, L Marshall, C Gilroy; P Jackson, M Heaney;

(1-8): C Black, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (c), L Stevenson, R Diack, S Doyle, N Williams.

Replacements (16-23): N Brady, T Court, D Fitzpatrick, N McComb, M McComish, P Marshall, N O'Connor, D Cave.

Glasgow team is out:

15. Peter Murchie
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Alex Dunbar
12. Graeme Morrison
11. Sean Lamont
10. Duncan Weir
9. Henry Pyrgos

8. Ryan Wilson
7. Chris Fusaro
6. Rob Harley
5. Al Kellock (c)
4. Tom Ryder
3. Mike Cusack
2. Finlay Gillies
1. Gordon Reid

Replacements:
Dougie Hall, Moray Low, Ryan Grant, James Eddie, John Barclay, Chris Cusiter, Ruaridh Jackson, Peter Horne.

Last edited by Rava on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread

Post by neilthom7 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:00 am

To be fair to O'Connor he wasn't the only thing slowing down ball tonight. Scrumhalves standing round for ages organising forwards when they get quick ball is frustrating too. Also there were not many times he was getting the quick ball and slowing it down. Glasgow don't allow you to get a lot of quick ball and once again they effectively slowed down a lot. Also I agree I thought the ref had a good performance.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Ulster v Glasgow (Friday 19.05) Discussion Thread

Post by Notch Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:02 am

Yeah, I think Jackson will grow into that player. But NOC never will. He can only be adequate. Hope Paddy heals up quick!

I thought we were good in patches. A lot better to come; we were less than clinical with the boot and messed up a few try opportunities too. Goal kicking was a major issue... Sometimes we're still too slow to clear out the ruck and the backline is yet to really gel.

Positives? Robbie Diack is twice the player he looked this time last year. Nick Williams is a beast. Gilroy, Allen and Payne did very well. Muller superb, scrum was very good and lineout was superb. A good foundation is there for us to build on.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:07 am

Also, Lewis Stevenson. Great game! Muller and Stevenson were very good today.

Highlights here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19446556?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:08 am

Heard afterward from my mate that Paddy wasn't too bad should be fine. Very Happy

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sat 01 Sep 2012, 1:29 am

So.

4 debutantes. 6 starting players 21 years old or younger. And a 22 year old and a 23 year old (in his first professional rugby season). Four 1st teamers in total, one of whom was replaced on ten minutes. Not a first-choice back-rower in sight.

First game of the season, where systems are ropey. And a lot comes down to individual skill. A win and.no LBP? I'll take it with both hands.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 01 Sep 2012, 5:44 am

Fairly generous scorings there tbh, take a half point off each and I'll say no more! Glasgows loss of big Al Kellock destroyed the lineout, as did Moray Low to Black when he trundled on. No sign of Ulster 7 (Nick Williams carried strongly at 8, but ran out of gas after a half), but rest of team were strong over the ball. Ulster played well as a whole, but in the end it was only an intercept try between the sides. NOC is not the answer, no idea what the question is!

Magnificent selection if whisky in the Duke of York Whisky

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:42 am

I would give it;

Black; 6/10. Handles Cusack very well and carried strongly. However struggled with Moray Low.
Herring; 6/10. Superb darts. Could do more around the field.
Afoa; 8/10. Good scrummaging, a lot of carries
Muller; 8/10. We know what he offers in the lineout, also tackled like a mad thing.
Stevenson; 8/10. Very aggressive ball carrying, very aggressive defence. Good game.
Diack; 8/10. Superb in the lineout and carried the ball with real aggression. Man of the match.
Doyle; 5/10. A quiet game. Needs to be quicker to the ruck at times.
Williams; 7/10. Monstrously powerful ball carrying, but ran out of gas too quickly around 50 mins. Is fitness still an issue?

Heaney; 7/10. Some very nice tactical kicks to the corner, some slick passing. But a few errors mixed in there as well.
O'Connor; 4/10. A better player than when he left but unacceptably poor goal kicking and indecision with ball in hand. Better hope Jackson isn't seriously injured!
Allen; 7/10. Calm under the high ball, took his try well, generally solid, cool and collected. Sucked in for Glasgow try.
Marshall; 7/10. Consistent gainline success. Looks like a player to me, serious talent. We need to see him outside a better halfback partnership. He's crashing up bad ball, we know he can create as well given more space.
Farrell; 5/10. Very impressed with him in pre-season. Just feel he doesn't quite know the lines to run from outside centre yet. Drifted through the game a bit, generally solid.
Gilroy; 6/10. Still looks an international in waiting- but defence let him down when it counted. Lovely read to create the intercept try but beaten on the outside by Seymour way too easily. Would love to see him get better ball in attack. Classy player who didn't get involved as much as we'd like.
Payne; 7/10. Beautiful pass to set up the try by Allen, but could have passed on a few other occasions. Is completely solid at the back- now he's shaking off the rust after his long lay-off, we have a player on our hands!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 01 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

Worrying for Glasgow how many turnovers they lost. Worrying for Scotland if Pyrgos gets anywhere near a Scotland squad! Look at the difference Cusiter made when he came on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sat 01 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

Notch I would generally agree with your assessment. I am delighted that Diack has found his mojo. That is such a big plus for us. Luke Marshall has the makings of a great inside centre. Too early to talk green shirt but he is definitely quality.

dw7 wrote:
And wears a scrum cap to protect his 'model' looks, LOL!

dw7, I hope that remark was tongue in cheek. Perhaps you weren't aware that he had a hairline fracture last year! That is the reason for the scrum cap.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sat 01 Sep 2012, 1:19 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Magnificent selection if whiskEy in the Duke of York Whisky

Was very good, almost as good as the company Hug
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

so its 100pc losing record for townsend ?

not unexpected..

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 01 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Fairly generous scorings there tbh, take a half point off each and I'll say no more! Glasgows loss of big Al Kellock destroyed the lineout, as did Moray Low to Black when he trundled on. No sign of Ulster 7 (Nick Williams carried strongly at 8, but ran out of gas after a half), but rest of team were strong over the ball. Ulster played well as a whole, but in the end it was only an intercept try between the sides. NOC is not the answer, no idea what the question is!

Well in fairness we dominated the match, butchered a couple of tries and missed 11 easy points through the boot. More than an intercept try in my book.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 01 Sep 2012, 7:33 pm

Any of my Glasgow massive care to offer a measured assessment of the game? Jackson missed goalkicking costs us a LBP I see. Good lord, not predictable in the slightest.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 01 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Fairly generous scorings there tbh, take a half point off each and I'll say no more! Glasgows loss of big Al Kellock destroyed the lineout, as did Moray Low to Black when he trundled on. No sign of Ulster 7 (Nick Williams carried strongly at 8, but ran out of gas after a half), but rest of team were strong over the ball. Ulster played well as a whole, but in the end it was only an intercept try between the sides. NOC is not the answer, no idea what the question is!

Well in fairness we dominated the match, butchered a couple of tries and missed 11 easy points through the boot. More than an intercept try in my book.
Dodge, wouldnt argue with that assessment, my comments related to the scoreline - it could (should?) have been much bigger after that first half OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 01 Sep 2012, 8:08 pm

George Carlin wrote:Any of my Glasgow massive care to offer a measured assessment of the game? Jackson missed goalkicking costs us a LBP I see. Good lord, not predictable in the slightest.
GC, They looked like a team on the road playing for an LBP from the outset - the loss of big Al hit the weegies really hard and knocked out any stuffing that remained - yet they crawled back into the game from 15-3 down, with Cusiter making a massive difference when he came on. Cus and the ruck inspector with ice strapping post game, slightly worrying

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulsterexile Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

When PJ went off was a bit sceptical about NOC, yes his place kicking was dreadful but made some good tackles which our previous 10 would have let past. We are not there in the 10 stakes, but were on the right road. Me I will give him a second chance.
Ulsterexile
Ulsterexile

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:42 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Any of my Glasgow massive care to offer a measured assessment of the game? Jackson missed goalkicking costs us a LBP I see. Good lord, not predictable in the slightest.
GC, They looked like a team on the road playing for an LBP from the outset - the loss of big Al hit the weegies really hard and knocked out any stuffing that remained - yet they crawled back into the game from 15-3 down, with Cusiter making a massive difference when he came on. Cus and the ruck inspector with ice strapping post game, slightly worrying
Thanks Asbo - sounds a bit unlucky but capitulation is not acceptable.

Sounds like we need our starters back quite badly and also for the Meatball to stay on the field at all times.

Well, at least Scottish sides have retained their tradition of starting with glacially crapulent slowness.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 02 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

No, Weir booted everything to little effect. Kicked a lot of ball, but not really into areas that would hurt or pressurise us. Jackson created your only try scoring opportunity which was taken.

It was a fair result After 60 minutes Ulster should have been out of sight and gone, but we slacked off and nearly let Glasgow nick a losing bonus point. It wasn't a close enough game on the balance of play for me to say Glasgow were unlucky not get the LBP. But us going off the ball when we went 12 ahead means we didn't deserve a BP either.

4 points for Ulster and 0 for Glasgow is fair.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 2bFair Mon 03 Sep 2012, 6:34 am

I am delighted the season is back under way - and a big thanks to Thomond for sending me some helpful hints on how to view Very Happy

This was the first Rabo game I have managed to watch live, in decent quality - for 2 years.

George - I see you are based in this part of the world also - perhaps if Thomond has no objection I will send you his suggestions.

On the Nial O'Connor thing. I have never really understood when so many people turned against him (if that is not putting it too strongly). When he was competing with iHump for the 10 spot - sure he never looked as flashy, and perhaps played a bit more of a kicking game. But he was pretty decent. I for one am delighted to see him back at Ulster, and expect his kicking to improve. Watching him take the kicks he looked a bit nervous - as thought he had a point to prove.

He does to an extent - but don't forget as a 21 year old he was in and about the Irish setup, and say what you like about the selection policy there, but they stand or fall on results!

Stand Up for NOC!

2bFair

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:58 am

On the match itself I thought we had four outstanding forwards - Muller, Stevenson, Diack and Williams with Diack deserving man of the match.

I do not agree Afoa was one the best - fine in the scrum but I saw him slipping off a number of tackles - he can play better than that.

Herring was very solid and is an excellent back up to Rory. Only 1 bad throw all night.

Heaney wasn't great, NOC - oh dear, Farrell was lacking and Luke Marshall was excellent - that guy has a real rugby brain.
For NOC it is not just the kicks which were appalling - three straight forward ones missed and a kick from the touch line I would have been embarressed with it - a complete shank. However in open play he stands so deep it doesn't give our attack a chance. His passing was decent but ni chance of creating something because of positioning.

Marshall need to learn to count - that kick into touch at the end was plain stupid

Overall solid if unspectacular

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:02 am

Injury updates

Spoke to Paddy Jackson after the game - he will know for certain today but should be ok.
The bigger worry is Nick Williams who was limping badly

Spoke to Tommy - seems Munster more likely than Ospreys. A whole raft of players seem to becoming available for Munster - Henry, Tuohy, Spence, D'Arcy, Bowe.

Infact the one player we may see nect week is Ferris which given the injury to Williams could be crucial.

Also better news on Wilson he may make a September date now

So that leaves Best, Henderson, Wallace and Pienaer for October returns.

Cave will start next week I am certain

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

On the Diack question I get the feeling he and McLaughlin didn't get along which would explain a lot .

With the new coach he has got his mojo back

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:55 am

2bFair wrote:I am delighted the season is back under way - and a big thanks to Thomond for sending me some helpful hints on how to view Very Happy

This was the first Rabo game I have managed to watch live, in decent quality - for 2 years.

George - I see you are based in this part of the world also - perhaps if Thomond has no objection I will send you his suggestions.
2BFair - welcome to the forum.

Always happy to receive suggestions but I think that I probably have all of the stuff that I need.

Thomond has sorted me out in the past. And I don't just mean in bed (etc). OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:57 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Injury updates

Spoke to Paddy Jackson after the game - he will know for certain today but should be ok.
The bigger worry is Nick Williams who was limping badly

Spoke to Tommy - seems Munster more likely than Ospreys. A whole raft of players seem to becoming available for Munster - Henry, Tuohy, Spence, D'Arcy, Bowe.

Infact the one player we may see nect week is Ferris which given the injury to Williams could be crucial.

Also better news on Wilson he may make a September date now

So that leaves Best, Henderson, Wallace and Pienaer for October returns.

Cave will start next week I am certain

And I have a feeling Anscombe won't let these players just walk back into the team (bar Bowe).

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

Depends to be honest I think:

Ferris to start for an injured Williams is quite likely this week
I think Cave will start instead of Farrell this week

Against Munster:
Bowe will start instead of Allen
Henry could well start instead of Doyle.

By the same token I think Trimble (who is also back) and Tuohy will be on the bench

Spence and D'Arcy probably wont even make the bench

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

Who do you think is likely to start between Heaney and Marshall? And do you think Black will hold off the returning Court?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:48 am

I think they are both very very close calls - I can see Black starting as it will satisfy whatever Dublin's dictates are about Court missing some games.

So my bet would be Black and Marshall but as I say too close to call.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

Marshall should start. Heaney has impressed in the four games so far but when Marshall came on you could see he is just that bit sharper and looking for the gaps. (Last minute head stagger aside Very Happy )

Black hasn't done anything wrong but I would be starting Court this weekend. Away to Ospreys we should be starting the strongest XV possible.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Depending on injuries I'd go with;

1. Black
2. Herring
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Stevenson
6. Ferris
7. Doyle
8. Diack

9. Marshall
10. Jackson/O'Connor

11. Allen
12. Marshall
13. Cave
14. Gilroy
15. Payne

16. Brady 17. Court 18. Fitzpatrick 19. McComb 20. Williams/McComish 21. Heaney 22. O'Connor/Olding 23. Farrell/Nelson

Having Black in is money in the bank for later in the season. He's in form now. If he gets injured or loses form, we're gonna need to use Court since Paddy Mac is injured. But if we play Court now, that means he misses a game later in the season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

I would rather Court was missing a home game against Zebre, Connacht or Dragons.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Notch wrote:No, Weir booted everything to little effect. Kicked a lot of ball, but not really into areas that would hurt or pressurise us. Jackson created your only try scoring opportunity which was taken.

It was a fair result After 60 minutes Ulster should have been out of sight and gone, but we slacked off and nearly let Glasgow nick a losing bonus point. It wasn't a close enough game on the balance of play for me to say Glasgow were unlucky not get the LBP. But us going off the ball when we went 12 ahead means we didn't deserve a BP either.

4 points for Ulster and 0 for Glasgow is fair.

I only saw th highlights but I'd agree that criticism of Jackson sounds harsh. His pass for the Seymour try looked like the best thing Glasgow did all match.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

Rava wrote:I would rather Court was missing a home game against Zebre, Connacht or Dragons.

Trouble is he is probably expected to miss 2 full games before the November Internationals.

We only play 1 of the above 3 fixtures in that time - Connacht at home.
Therefore I suspect he will be required to be on the bench for one more game

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Backrower678 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:08 pm

Looking forward to the possibility of a backrow containing Ferris, Henry and Williams at some point this season. Some serious ball carrying ability there in Ferris and Williams along with our 2nd rows.

Good to get the season off to a winning start too, all be it a touch rusty in some places. Poor ball from Heaney didn't help NOC but he was poor overall that aside. The backline looks to be great whoever plays imo. Luke Marshall looks a serious prospect let's hope hestays injury free, along side Cave at 13, Payne at 15 and any of our 2 wingers from Gilroy, Bowe and Trimble is going to give us serious attacking threat. And that's not even mentioning Wallace, D'arch or Spence!!!!!

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Sep 2012, 6:01 pm

Regarding Tom Court, it's idiotic. He'll play one game in the Autumn Internationals, maximum. And he won't have had enough gametime for Ulster to advance his case to play more.

Only genuine frontline players should be managed in this way. No problem when it comes to Ferris and Bowe. For guys like Court and Wallace it just means they get to sit on a bench more than they get to start. Not exactly encouraging healthy competition.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 03 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:

Spoke to Tommy - seems Munster more likely than Ospreys.

What?! Not even to hand out oranges at half time?! Noooot faaaair. Crying or Very sad

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

Notch wrote:Regarding Tom Court, it's idiotic. He'll play one game in the Autumn Internationals, maximum. And he won't have had enough gametime for Ulster to advance his case to play more.

Only genuine frontline players should be managed in this way. No problem when it comes to Ferris and Bowe. For guys like Court and Wallace it just means they get to sit on a bench more than they get to start. Not exactly encouraging healthy competition.

Fecin right Notch. Lets start a campaign! RELEASE THE ULSTER 1
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5