The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

+51
RDW
Rugby Fan
Hound of Harrow
tooboredtowork
westisbest
Scrumpy
Mickado
Irish Londoner
Imperialbigdave
BristolDave
B91212
Sam
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
stnick88
Francogermanicenglishman
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
Hood83
HammerofThunor
screamingaddabs
thebluesmancometh
SirBurger
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Jimpy
aitchw
SGD prop
KickAndChase
George Carlin
Morgannwg
mckay1402
Dim
Big
DaveM
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Fluxy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Portnoy
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Bristolian
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Bathite
bluestonevedder
Geordie
55 posters

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 9 Empty Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: Peter Russell

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Oliver Tomasczyk
Keiron Brookes
Scott Wilson

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
Scott Lawson

Second Rows:
Carlo Del Fava
Scott MacLeod
Sean Tomes
Frasier McKensie

Back Row
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Andy Saul
Mark Wilson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Chris Pilgrim
Warren Fury
Mike Blair

Fh's
Joel Hodgson
Waisea Luveniyali
Rory Clegg
Phil Godman

Centres
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait
Adam Powell
Danny Barnes - In from Munster

Wing:
Ryan Shortland
Andy Higgins
Suka Hufanga
Noah Cato

FB's:
Tom Catterick
Alex Tait

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:11 am; edited 21 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 9 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Well its certainly interesting Driver

Wilson seems first choice 6 by quite a way.
Mayhew has had a good number of games aswell.
Hogg has been first choice 8
Welch when fit is first choice 7
Tuifua has been a bit part / bench impact player
York hasnt really had a settled run due to injury etc

We have some strong options in the back row...but Deano has not hid his admiration for the new lad...whos only 21.

Can he move up...who knows...but wasnt it Deano who plucked another no.8 from obscurity...a Mr Nick Easter..who was quite a bit older than Steadman at the time.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 9 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Driver Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Be interesting choices. Can see him covering more than much else if we go up.

Be a interesting pack for next season

Golding/Shiells
Vickers mad
Tomas/Hall
Del Fava/Tomas
Mcleod/Tuifua
Wilson/Mayhew
Welch/NO ONE ELSE!!!!!
York/Hogg
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 pm

There another 7 in the academy / development squad called Morris...always seems to get very good reviews (like Scott Wilson)...dont know much about him. If hes old or young or what?

Do you think he'll add to the pack..try to improve if we get back up.
Im not sure...i think our pack is actually pretty strong but surely Hooker would be the priority...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm

If Notingham lose their last game in the B&I cup, Leinster A will be heading your way on the weekend of the 5th of April.

Sounds like they would be in for a hammering.

How seriously do you guys take this Comp? (B&I)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Jenifer,

We don't take the B&I cup that serious , I think it's final is 5 days before the Championship Final 1st leg and a return to the Aviva is top of the list above all else.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 pm

We've used it as a development tool to be fair. We've blooded a few of the young academy guys in it. Scott Wilson, Zach Kibirige etc...

But i do think Deano has an eye on winning it aswell...possibly some mind set that winning breeds winning etc....who knows...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Driver wrote:Jenifer,

We don't take the B&I cup that serious , I think it's final is 5 days before the Championship Final 1st leg and a return to the Aviva is top of the list above all else.

It is the same day as the Amlin final too. (Which Leinster are 2 games away from)

I don't think too many use it as much more than development.

I think it is an interesting comp. Pitches the Academy squads (+ a few) of the provinces v the semi pro Welsh outfits and the pro championship sides. The Scotts seem to put a few development sides in there.

We could end up playing Newcastle with our A team in this and then meet them in the HC 2 years later with our full squad after they are promoted. (Happened with Exeter)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am

That could be interesting...its ambitous saying we'll be in the HC in two years time...but hey Exeter, Quins and Saints have all proved that it can happen...after promotion.

Its been nice to see some of our younger guys getting gametime. They are being managed very well by Deano and Peter Russell

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am

Kieron Brookes return on the cards apparently but Tigers are really keen on Scott Wilson.

I'm going to Mosely game , free of charge thanks to Falcons! Free dinner and meeting Deano before the game!
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am

Ah FFS....im fed up of the feckin Tigers.

Take Brookes break him then give him back and take Wilson...no thanks...and i hope Deano puts them straight.
Surely he'll know we have serious ambition now and he'd be better staying here.

Especially as they have Cole and Balmain.

Anyway along those lines...

I see Scott Wilson is propping for the England U20's and George McGuigan is Hooking for Ireland in the England v Ireland u20's game.
Could McGuigan finally be a potential answer to our long term hooking problems...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:10 am

I hope , Brookes was being lined up at hook from all accounts.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:11 am

Newcastle Falcons: 15 Tom Catterick, 14 Andrew Higgins, 13 Alex Crockett, 12 Jamie Helleur, 11 Ryan Shortland, 10 Jimmy Gopperth, 9 Rory Lawson, 1 Jonny Golding, 2 Rob Vickers, 3 Oliver Tomaszczyk, 4 James Hudson, 5 Scott MacLeod, 6 Mark Wilson, 7 Will Welch (c), 8 Taiasina Tu’ifua

Replacements: 16 Matt Thompson, 17 James Hall, 18 James Goode, 19 Ally Hogg, 20 Warren Fury, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 Suka Hufanga
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 am

Interesting lineup v Leeds who will give us a right game......could it be a first defeat?

Catterick at 15 still, that pleases me.
Tui'fu starts at 8...another interesting call...

Lawson at 9 aswell...pah we need to seriously look at our SH options in the summer. Such as shame Pilgrim got injured...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 am

I think that pack will too much for Leeds GF.

Leeds looked one of the worst sides I've seen this season, we took them apart at KP.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Won again looked like a tough one..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:45 pm

9-13 , tough game. Conditions meant to have been garbage.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm

A few little bits of interest...

Looks like Rory Clegg is returning to us. But does this Gopprth is away in the Summer? Japan maybe

Think Hudson is pretty much away to Gloucester.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 am

Anyone there this Friday?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 am

Im hoping to be. I had plans but they may be getting cancelled...if they do ill defo be at the game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am

Should be a big win for us. Got my tickets for free so i'm on my way up.

I had 4 but one lads dropped out. Have to meet Falcons community manager first though and Dean Richards , such a burdon.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 am

Damn what a drag mate... Very Happy

Hopefully be a good win for us. Interesting if he puts out the full strength 15 or uses a few of the squad.

I MUCH prefer Catterick at FB over Alex Tait. Catterick should be our 1st choice FB from now on....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I know , 3 course meal as well. Can't believe there doing this to me......

It will be a interesting selection i think we might see a couple of changes.

3.Scott Wilson/James Hall
8.Ally Hogg
10.Joel Hodgson
22.Jimmy Goppereth

With Catterick retained at 15.

Tomas must surely need a rest? Scott Wilson was pretty good for EU20s the other week and will be pushing hard . i'd be tempted to play Kirbridge on the wing as well.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 pm

I actually think James Hall is a good TH Driver. He gave Tongahuia a torrid night when we played the Tongan XV. And i agree Tomas needs a rest.

Ive noticed that generally when Joel has started (not always) that Jimmy has been at 15...maybe just for that mentor type player. But yeah Catterick must stay as first choice 15.

This would be a good game for Kibirige again also.

Probably see Tuifua at 8 again...this would be a good game for regaining his match fitness...and id also like to see big Joe getting a run out.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Think Hodgson showed his real character vs Scottish when Tait was 15 and he played a great game. Really dictated the tempo and direction of play.

Do you have a season ticket GF?

Also home and away shirts are half price now....
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Nah mate didnt get one this season...cos all the games are friday night and couldnt make them all.

I saw that about the shirts...but i cant stand them. Ill wait to see what the new one looks like. Id rather spend full price on a decent one than half price on one of those.. Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Sorry about the pitch at Otley guys, but I guess nowhere was going to be great with all this weather. Glad we turned up for this one, not many losing bonus points gained against you lot this season. Looked pretty attritional but reasonable attempt at open play given the conditions. Wish we could produce performances on a more regular basis but I guess Edwards is doing his best with limited funds. Don't think we are far from being a decent Championship side but a way to go yet before dreams of the Jeff. Well done anyways, want to see you make waves next year when you're back up there.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Cheers fella , a lot of fans said it was the best away day this season.

Michael Tait makes his first start tomorrow night outside Jamie Hueller. Goode/Mcleod engine room with Tui to 6 and Hogg back. Goppereth and Tom will wear 10/15

No Chris York again.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 pm

HHmmm interesting.

No york...whats going on there i wonder.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

‏@Michael6Driver
@markismith50 No Chris York is Falcons again , is he injured? was pretty excited about that signing at start of the season.
Expand Reply Delete Favorite More

‏@markismith50
@Michael6Driver Yes, I revealed he had pulled his hammy a few weeks back

Smithys reply to me on Twitter
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 pm

He's had a bad run this season like hasnt he...just aswell we have got a good depth in that position.

I hope he gets sorted though cos he looks a monster when he gets going...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Smithy was being a bit arsey about him saying he just looked OK when he played for Quins.

Looking forward to tomorrow night now and i'v scored free tickets to the Pirates game next week!
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Crikey your doing ok arent ya ha ha.

Im debating whether to get tickets for tomorrow...i should do really.

Full Lineup

1 Jonny Golding
2 Rob Vickers
3 Oliver Tomaszczyk
4 James Goode
5 Scott MacLeod
6 Taiasina Tu’ifua
7 Will Welch (c)
8 Ally Hogg

9 Rory Lawson,
10 Jimmy Gopperth
11 Ryan Shortland
12 Jamie Helleur
13 Michael Tait
14 Andy Higgins
15 Tom Catterick,

Replacements: 16 Matt Thompson, 17 James Hall, 18 James Hudson, 19 Ollie Stedman, 20 Jordi Pasqualin, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 Alex Crockett

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Should do fella , My freebies are in the west stand.

They'v closed the North Stand i see.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:08 am

So now that your over half way through the season would Falcons fans say that relegation has been a good thing for the club?

And if Sale were to get the drop do you think they'd cope?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 am

Oh and surely the Falcons Dr's must have looked at York's medical history and seen how injury prone he was at Quins. I think there's a lot to be said for being on the large side at 8 like Easter or indeed Deano...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 am

Yappy, not sure how Sale would fair if they went down. Falcons had the good fortune and farsightedness to grab Deano and he is the difference up there. Sale clearly need to sort out there coaching setup and with the egos already there plus the fact I don't see any top coaches out there who would take it on I think they could be in for a difficult time. Deano's reputation was enough to give the club a real boost and he has the skills to get the best of the squad.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am

Yappy...

I think we were lucky that we had just got a new chairman who is a big fan of the club and looks ambitious unlike his predecessor.

He's brought in a seriously impressive coaching team...that any premiership team would be delighted with...and i dont think im exagerating there.

Going down has allowed us to clear out some fo the dross...bring in new players and blood many of the talented youngsters...Hodgson, Scott Wilson and Zach Kibirige being three of the most noticeable.

I think in all honesty this season has been good for us...and most importantly has seen us get some confidence from actually winning some games.

We're still a work in progress...but our scrum is quite a strong weapon now...be interesting to see how it copes with the top Prem teams.

So to answer your question i would say yes it probably has been good to come down ...as long as we go back up straight away and dont suffer a disaster in the play offs...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 am

Aitch

Deano is a fantastic Manager to have, but dont discount the parts played by Peter Russell, John Wells and Graeme Steadman...

Peter Russell has a big reputation in NZ as a top coach who's skills are particularly develping the youth and getting the best out of them.

John Wells didnt quite work with England but proved at Leicester and again here that is a quality forwards coach..if they are all reading from the same hymn sheet....

And Steadman has got our defence firing...its actually very aggressive...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am

Wasn't meaning to belittle any of the coaching staff, Geordie, just that Deano has the pull and skill to make the best of a clearly talented coaching staff and squad. Wouldn't you agree that Sale would have to work a minor miracle to change things if they went down? Not been impressed with Sale's setup for a few years now and it shouldn't be happening. Falcons have made the most of their season in the Championship and I expect them to do well on returning to the Jeff.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Francogermanicenglishman Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 am

Guys just wondering but it seems to be accepted in France that Tuifua is going to montpellier next season have you heard anything about that ?

Francogermanicenglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:07 am

I know you werent Aitch mate, and ultimately Deano is the gaffer and makes the calls. But we are in a lucky position at the moment with what we have.

Im not sure about Sale...the gap in the two divisons is actually very big...so a poor Sale in the Premiership, could be very strong in the championship.
Thats why us Falcons fans need to be a little realistic and not get too carried away.

Sale would obviously lose quite a few of their squad...Gray, Cipriani etc...but that might not be a bad thing...recruit some people that want to be there.
We'll take Gray off their hands...ambitious management, just on the borders of his homeland...strong historical links with Scottish players..(Doddie Weir, Gary Armstrong, Peter Walton, John Leslie, Ally Hogg..etc etc)..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 am

Francogermanicenglishman wrote:Guys just wondering but it seems to be accepted in France that Tuifua is going to montpellier next season have you heard anything about that ?

Really, i havent heard a thing about that. Mind I wouldnt say he was first choice now...and i have a feeling that Deano has targets in mind...combined with some quality young academy players coming through.

Its certainly one to watch.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:24 am

I havn't heard about the Tui rumor , can't say i'd be too disappointed if he did leave.

Looking forward to tonights game now.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

I seem to remember reading something about it on the unoffy message board a while back, it was mentioned as a done deal as far as I can remember.

Can't say I would be overly concerned either, he lost his head quite a lot when the pressure was on in the Premiership and there is plenty of competition in the back row now.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 am

Cumbrian

Ive just been on it and had a look...but that was to Toulon, not Montpellier...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Ah fair enough, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes out of it.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

They don't count against there SH quota Packific Island players do they?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Not sure mate.

We'll be alright though...cos we've got BIG JOE ready to take his place Very Happy Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm

I thought it had been a while since you mentioned Big Joe lol
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Rory Clegg to sign back next week.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next