The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trap - Is his time up?

+10
The Boss
Marshes
westisbest
Gordy
Cotupina187
John Cregan
Ent
Thomond
Kay Fabe
Good Golly I'm Olly
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trap - Is his time up? Empty Trap - Is his time up?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:28 pm

I would say yes.

I personally as a Norwich fan have never understood why he hasn't picked Pilkington to play left midfield, after a great season in the Prem last year. Same for James McClean. I know he is stubborn with his formation, but these two would fit the winger role perfectly.

And don't get me started on how Wes Hoolahan doesn't play for Ireland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Trap - Is his time up? Empty Re: Trap - Is his time up?

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Is it time for him to go? I'd say no, he's just signed a new contract and took Ireland to their first International Tournament

He isn't Mr exciting, never has been, never will be but he knows how to get results, no doubt with a few of the old guard retiring after the Euro's he'll have to bed a bit of new blood in but like most Italians, he won't just do it, he'll incorporate it slowly, Ireland aren't a super power, not by a long stretch, however they're in a position now where they're realistic contenders to qualify for Major tournaments

It'd take a brave man/board to sack a man who has pulled the Country up kicking and screaming

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:45 am

His time was up before the Euros. The man is a complete tool.

Think my earlier comment yesterday pretty much summed it up! Pure tripe, and not good enough. It might be the first time Kazhakstan have lost at home in like 2 years but the performance was pathetic. McGeady is one of the best at beating full backs and getting into good spots, does jack all after that. Glenn Whelan has to be one of the worst players to have amassed nearly 50 caps in a long time. Simon Cox shouldn't be in the team to begin with playing him out of position on the left wing for the second time was possibly the most idiotic thing Trap has done during his tenure. He has one of the better wingers in the premiership in McClean sitting on the bench and a very good one in Pilkington sitting at home. Not playing Seamus Coleman at either right back or right full is a mystery, playing O'Dea and St,.Ledger guys who play in America and the Championship is disgraceful. Move O'Shea to centre, Coleman to right full and pick Clark! Ward is our best LB but that's not saying much. I believe we have some incredibly talented players, the msot we have had in a long time. At present and in the future we will have several extremely good players. I talking the likes of Conor Henderson, Conor Clifford, James McCarthy, Dave Meyler, John Egan, Shane Duffy. As well as plenty of other guys. Trap is not the man to bring this team forward.

He is a symptom of the massvie disease that is the FAI. The worst run organisation in Ireland, don't support their local league at all and pay their CEO 360k a year. 400k until about 3 months ago. They are a disgrace.

Did you see the game? RTE's analysis was superb or at least it was by one person. Brady is blinkered due to his association with Trap. Sadlier may be a bit too dramatic in making his point but he has nailed it here, you don't have to watch all of it but some. He makes some great points.

My rant yesterday, link to the RTE clip, wouldn't watch it all if you're not Irish but 3/4 minutes to see Sadlier (youngest fella with a shaved head) talk sense:
Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Thomond, who would you rather see as manager and what changes to the FAI would you like to see and what changes do you think are realistic?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:14 pm

A complete and utter destruction to the FAI in its current guise is what's needed. We have to try and rid ourselves of our love of the Premier League (probably can't be done) and we need to revitalise our youth setup and get down to playing decent football and emphasising it through every age group. Some seem to play decent stuff but as they progress they are teached in Trap's school.

As for manager, not many options around Venables, Dave O'Leary have been mentioned in the past I would like to see someone like Hughton get it if he wanted it was assistant for a long time.

Ireland are in a worse state than England but not by much, English fans or some of the ones on here seem to put their fingers over their ears and think everything is alright though. Which is odd.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:16 pm

It would help if Trap didn't keep alienating players by being so stubborn. I mean he isn't picking the best talent in your country, and didnt Darron Gibson refuse to join the squad this time?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:31 pm

He decided not to join, Trap needs to go, nothing else to say except the FAI need be shot as well.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Right well since its not very likely the FAI will have a complete re-vamp what would David O'Leary or Ray Haughton bring to the table? Venebles has been out of football a very long time too

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:07 pm

I was thinking Chris, better managers can be found more than likely I'm saying those are guys that were mentioned in the past.

If you think Trap is getting the best out of this lot then soemthing is wrong.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Get your hands off Chris Hughton Thomond warning
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Only way Hoolahan will get picked for Ireland at the moment I'd say. Not many Irish mangers around in England in Ireland the underage ones are pretty mediocre would probably have to go abroad or go for a previous manager we already had.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Who isn't Trap getting the best out of Thomond?

I do think James McClean should have been in the starting line up

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:05 pm

The amusing thing is trap picks a team rather than the best 11 players, gets results (euros aside, hard group and lots of poor individual defensive errors) - yet is criticised - but many fans of supposed top nations want a manager with this strategy?

Gibson and McLean are probably peeved as they were hunted by the fai and could have played for ni if they wanted.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

Doubt either of them would have wanted to play for N.I to be honest, usually find that anyone who has a choice and chooses The Republic wouldn't truly consider playing for the other side

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Trappatoni's behaviour as Ireland Coach has been embarrassing.
His treatment of certain players (Andy Reid, Steven Reid as just 2 examples) has been unprofessional.
His tactics are wrong. IMO, we qualified for the Euros DESPITE him, rather than because of him.
His comments after the Croatia game that the players never recovered after the early goal were baffling, given the fact that Ireland made it 1-1 after 35 mins.
IMO, he refuses to pick certain players because the Media would like to see them in the team eg Coleman, Holohan.
He refuses to go to England to watch the players.
He pathetically refers to Irelands 5-2 defeat by Cyprus, when, in fact, he himself has presided over WORSE performances............

Can FAI afford(financially) to sack him though??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Did they not just offer him a bumper new deal that he accepted

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Who isn't Trap getting the best out of Thomond?

I do think James McClean should have been in the starting line up

Who is he getting the best out of should be the question. They gave him a deal before the Euros. Why Irish sporting organisations give out long contracts before a major tournament is beyond me.

Also Trap's ignoring of the LOI andindeed the FAI's is so moronic. 5 ex-LOI players in the lineup tomorrow.

Also just want to add one of the lads I said will be incredibly important to our future scored a screamer for the 21s tonight:
Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Can't see the video on my phone mate, who is it?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Conor Henderson of Arsenal and one of my "lads who Trap will waste if we keep him in charge"

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotupina187 Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Is it time for him to go? I'd say no, he's just signed a new contract and took Ireland to their first International Tournament

He isn't Mr exciting, never has been, never will be but he knows how to get results, no doubt with a few of the old guard retiring after the Euro's he'll have to bed a bit of new blood in but like most Italians, he won't just do it, he'll incorporate it slowly, Ireland aren't a super power, not by a long stretch, however they're in a position now where they're realistic contenders to qualify for Major tournaments

It'd take a brave man/board to sack a man who has pulled the Country up kicking and screaming

He didnt just sign a new contract and it was Irelands 4th major tournament.

I'v been calling for traps head for about 2 years, he's an absolute disgrace to his own name. How many players have retired since he's come along... He's worse than Staunton.

Cotupina187

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Always blaming the manager, beggars belief given Trapatonis history. How he managed to even get such a mediocre bunch to the Euros is quite some feat in itself. The Irish seem to have a history of blaming their manager and coaches in sport when really I think their expectations need to be lowered. McCarthy got them to a World Cup last 16 and was chased out of the job because Roy Keane threw a tantrum. Trappatoni has been overacheiving with a squad of players no better than Wales or Scotland so maybe those calling for his head should take a good look at their Celtic cousins to and show some appreciation for a great manager!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Trap is playing caveman football with players who can knock it about, as we have seen in games against sides like France and Russia. He is not picking the best players available consistently picking substandard players who are his "lads".

He should have gone before the Euros, he should go now. Not the guy to bring the team forward. There is talent in this country both in England and in the League of Ireland it's moronic to say there isn't. We will go nowhere with Trap. Marcello Lippi if he was available and willing. Maybe Mick McCarthy.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Sure! The same Mick McCarthy that was chased out of the job in the first place by a pitchfork mob! The Ireland job is a thankless one because the expectations are unrealistic. Its not even good enough to get to a major tournament. People go on about the Irish fans being the best in the world and the England fans being deluded about their own teams ability but frankly it seems the other way around!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm with Thomond on this, he is leaving out some of the best players Ireland have for his "guys".

I mean he picked Paul Green, who got released by Derby over Wes Hoolahan who had a great season in the Premier League for gods sake
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Irish fans are absolutely shoite. We don't support our own league (I do but 90% don't). Mick did get chased out somewhat. Ireland's problems won't be solved by replacing Trap. I believe Trap is a small fry to the cancer of the FAI. Biggest shower of clowns going.

Trap cannot be kept, we were lucky to get to the tournament, rode our luck and got some very fortunate decisions along the way.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Apparantly he was at Carrow Road yesterday, and if he doesn't pick Hoolahan for the next squad he must be blind. The man is different gravy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:13 pm

If Hoolahan isn't picked for the next Ireland squad then I'm sorry but Trappatoni has a screw loose. Again by far the best player on the pitch today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Yep agree with you there olly.

Sadly I don't think he will be, at least not in the 11. Should defiantly be given a go.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:10 pm

You play a 4-4-2 for Ireland but that could so easily be changed to a 4-4-1-1 to accomadate hoolahan. Drop a striker and put him in. He is so technically gifted, creative and he works hard for the team. He has to be in there for me.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:08 am

Trap has had a screw loose for about 3 years now. I don't think he will pick Hoolahan but I have nearly given up on the international side with Trap in charge and John Delaney in charge of the FAI

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Lets call it like it is. All this talk of Trap getting us to the Euros, we never would have been there if Armenia had'nt spanked Slovakia 4-0 away from home, Armenia wount have another result like that for 10 years.

I dont know if he should be credited with it, he definitely shoul'nt have been given a new contract before the tournament. But we were there under his stewardship, so his future should have been decided after that. After the way the Euros went, not losing, but how the team lost and were set out, he should have gone.

I doubt he will leave unless he is pushed.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 pm

HE HAS RULED WES OUT OF THE STARTING TEAM FOR THE NEXT QUALIFIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE MAN IS INSANE, HOOLAHAN WAS THE ONLY PLAYER WHO DIDNT LOOK LIKE A DONKEY AGAINST GREECE
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Seriously he cant not start Hoolahan. MOM again today, he is the best technical player you have! YOU HAVE TO START HIM!

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:36 pm

YES TO WES! SAY YES TO WES TRAP!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Trappatoni asked who has impressed him in his post match interview and no mention of Wes Hoolahan.

I'm sorry but if he can't see what Wes would bring to the table, then if I'm Wes I don't bother. What does the man have to do to get recognition?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 pm

So what you've been saying, Olly, is that you think Hoolahan should have been starting before tonight? Or have I picked it up wrong? Haha I agree with you all the way but.

I have all the respect in the world for Trap's achievements throughout his career but as Ireland manager he has stuck to his favourites and had us playing some pretty poor football inspite of qualifying for the Euros.

Also heard a rumour tonight about Ian Harte claiming on twitter that he hasn't retired from Int football but Trap didn't know he was Irish. Don't know how true that is mind.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Haha you've picked up my hints Boss Wink

I just think Hoolahan offers such a creative talent as he has showcased in the Premier League for 2 years now, but Trap is still sticking with his 4-4-2, when really it could be quite easily changed to a sort of 4-4-1-1, which imo would be better for Ireland.

I saw the Harte thing, and from what I know it is true.

Trap has his favourites, but sometimes you have to wake up and smell the coffee. Hoolahan surely has to be given a shot now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 pm

I agree with ya I think Hoolahan's a cracking player. In fact I'd swap yas Scott Brown to Norwich for him not a bother!

Never even saw the game because of training myself but one of the lads just mentioned it to me on the way home. I could never understand how he'd been left out of the squad for so long. Experienced player with a wand of a left foot!
On a side note, when I got home my wee brother informed me that Kris Commons, Charlie Mulgrew, Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley were all playing well. He was watching the England game at the time so I asked how he knew.

He replied, "Oh I've just been switching between all 4 games!"
Sometimes I just don't know!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Laugh

I can't believe we've managed to keep Wes all this time. He came down with us during the deep dark times of League 1, but has really flourished the past 4-5 years and has turned into quite a player. It's an absolute travesty that he only has 3 caps, considering some of the shoite that has played for Ireland in that time!

You can keep Scottie Brown btw haha
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 am

Are you sure? He's an international captain you knwo compared to a 3 cap journeyman Wink

I'd be lying if I said I had any clue of how Wes played before 3 years or so ago but if he hasn't done enough to get into the current Irish team then I just don't know. Keith Andrews was a stalwart.

Also reckon Steven Reid could have been huge in Midfield for Ireland if hed had any sort of luck with injury!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 am

Yeah true that, I like Reid, plays RB now though. Bit of a strange one that!

Wes has been our creative force that has taken us from League 1 to Premier League playing behind the striker or at the tip of the diamond. Personally I had doubts that he could deal with the Premier League, but he's stepped upto the plate really well. But all the best for us, means he don't pick up any silly injuries!

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 am

Hopefully for his sake he starts to get a bit of Int recognition but if I was a Norwich fan I wouldn't care if he never played for Ireland.

Yeah he's changed his game big time probably because of the injuries but I've always thought the injuries caused him to be a bigger loss by far than any of the other wastes of Irish football I.e Steve Ireland (started off great but a d***), Andy Reid(very tidy and creative footballer but fat) etc

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:11 am

Yeah I must admit I hate internationals now, just want these silly friendlies to pass! Glad Snodgrass, Martin and Hoolahan can all return to the glorious land of Norfolk in one piece!

Yeah I like Steven Reid. Stephen Ireland I've never really rated. He had that good season at Citeh, but has been really really crap at Villa
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 am

If ever there was a case of a player believing their own hype it is stephen Ireland.

Just seen Connor Sammon got a cap tonight. Why, Trap, why?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 am

This is the same guy who selected Paul Green to go to the Euros straight after he was released by Derby County.

And at the tournament persisted with selecting Stephen Hunt over James McLean.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:22 am

Exactly I really shouldn't look for logic anymore!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:29 am

These are the exact quotes on Hoolahan from Trap. Complete bullsh!t

“In the past there have been questions about Hoolahan,” said Trapattoni. “I said I know him very well. He’s not old but we have the young players like Shane Long and James McCarthy. I thought we needed two strikers in our team.

“Many times with Marco (Tardelli) we said maybe we have overlooked him because every game we saw him play for his club he played well in this position but his club is not Manchester United or Arsenal.

“He’s a tactical option for us in the future. Maybe for Sweden.”

So they haven't picked him because he doesn't play for a Man Utd or Arsenal week in week out yet they're happy to take a player just released by Derby County to the Euros ahead of him #headsgone
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:46 am

Olly wrote:These are the exact quotes on Hoolahan from Trap. Complete bullsh!t

“In the past there have been questions about Hoolahan,” said Trapattoni. “I said I know him very well. He’s not old but we have the young players like Shane Long and James McCarthy. I thought we needed two strikers in our team.

“Many times with Marco (Tardelli) we said maybe we have overlooked him because every game we saw him play for his club he played well in this position but his club is not Manchester United or Arsenal.

So they haven't picked him because he doesn't play for a Man Utd or Arsenal week in week out yet they're happy to take a player just released by Derby County to the Euros ahead of him #headsgone

Lets hope he starts the Sweden game.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Olly wrote:These are the exact quotes on Hoolahan from Trap. Complete bullsh!t

Im judging him on his time as Ireland manager here...but Trap is the worst manager I have ever seen in any sport!! To actually say multiple times in interviews that our players "weren't good enough" to beat a certain team is just mind blowing.
How can players perform if your manager doesn't believe in you?

Also how many players have walked away from the team now. It looks like Stephen Kelly doesmt want to play for us.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Think people should give him a break, has taken a nation who had qualified for 1 tournament in 18 years to the European championships, losing once in 2 qualifying campaigns, with inferior/older players than his predecessors.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next