The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robert Helenius

5 posters

Go down

Robert Helenius Empty Robert Helenius

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 16 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

Just how good is this Finnish Heavyweight Robert Helenius?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=451505&cat=boxer

Not sure if people have seen his knockout of the usually iron chinned Sam Peter, but it's brutal. Proper lights out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr1NY5fF9ME

He's tall, but his physique doesn't make him look that powerfull. He can bang though, maybe even the biggest hitting HW at the mo. Lamon Brewster, after fighting him, said his power was like nothing he'd come across before. In a similar way to VK, he seems to be able to generate big power from short shots which is a lethal combination.

This guy must be one of the front runners for taking over the HW division after the K's and Haye have gone..

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Robert Helenius Empty Re: Robert Helenius

Post by J.Benson II Sat 16 Apr 2011, 10:15 pm

He'll surely be a top contender within the next few years. He clearly hits hard. Peter is considered one the most durable HW's around and got knocked spark out.

However, I have my doubts with Helenius. In the fights I've seen of him, he looks quite limited. His power is his equaliser but I reckon the likes of Wlad, Haye and possibly Vitali are bigger hitters overall.

Brewster was pretty shot by the time of fight and hasnt fought since (if ever again). Peters was coming off a brutal beating from Wlad which surely would have taken some effect on his punch resistance.

Up until the knockout, I didnt actually think Helenius looked particulary impressive against the Nigerian. Peter came into that fight 20lbs heavier than he did against Wlad yet was still out-boxing Helenius in the early rounds. It was only until the extra weight took its toll on Peter and he began to gas, when Helenius started to find his target.
From what I saw, I'm not convinced wheather The Nordic Nightmare would have beaten a younger, slimmer version of Peter.

To his credit, Helenius seems to be taking a steep learning curve. Beating two former champs is a decent achievement for a boxer who's only got 15 fights under his belt.

However, I wouldnt give him much chance against the top quality HW's (Klitschko, Haye)

I personally think Denis Boytsov is a better prospect. Very explosive, very powerful and excellent handspeed.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:04 am

Should be a top contender in the next couple of years can't see him getting past Haye or the Klitschkos. They might not be around in a couple of years so he could be champ.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:07 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:Should be a top contender in the next couple of years can't see him getting past Haye or the Klitschkos. They might not be around in a couple of years so he could be champ.

I cant see him being champ even after them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:11 am

azania wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Should be a top contender in the next couple of years can't see him getting past Haye or the Klitschkos. They might not be around in a couple of years so he could be champ.

Not sure when the best around are Povetkin, Adamek, Arreola and maybe even Chisora. He's got as good a chance as any of them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:31 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:

Not sure when the best around are Povetkin, Adamek, Arreola and maybe even Chisora. He's got as good a chance as any of them.

I see your point.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:39 am

It's an awful division and the younger guys coming through look worse than the top guys that are their just now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:41 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:It's an awful division and the younger guys coming through look worse than the top guys that are their just now.

Makes you look back at the early 1950s with nostalgia. Rolling Eyes Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:51 am

azania wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:It's an awful division and the younger guys coming through look worse than the top guys that are their just now.

Makes you look back at the early 1950s with nostalgia. Rolling Eyes Whistle

I miss the 90's I'm not a big one on nostalgia but do like watching the old timers. At HW it's worth doing especially when you see what's on offer these days. I'm looking to Haye vs Wlad though. Think that could be a great night of HW boxing.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 17 Apr 2011, 9:45 am

I thought he looked plain awful against Peter until the last couple of rounds, and I thought he threw ' arm ' punches with little sting. However, the knockout was a corker, and as oxring reminded me, Carlos Monzon's punches LOOKED like ' arm ' punches but he did serious damage with them.

I'm not entirely sold on Helenius, but he's certainly one to watch.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:46 pm

The thing is he doesn't look much worse than Povetkin, Arreola or Chisora it's not ridiculous to think he could be a world champion in the years to come. The K bros should be retiring soon. If they see off Adamek and Haye I can't see them going on much longer their is no one out their for them to fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down