The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McIlroy Declares for Britain?

+39
MustPuttBetter
Doon the Water
Skerries
djlovesyou
golfermartin
Lairdy
LeinsterFan4life
lorus59
Tinmar
Diggers
TRUSSMAN66
Plunky
GunsGerms
beninho
hend085
Sin é
McLaren
Bob_the_Job
Rava
Skydriver
pedro
theslosty
barragan
George1507
Roller_Coaster
GPB
Thomond
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Gareth_NI
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
John Cregan
Hibbz
princedracula
SecretFly
SmithersJones
Gordy
43 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

McIlroy Declares for Britain? - Page 3 Empty McIlroy Declares for Britain?

Post by Gordy Tue 11 Sep - 4:00

First topic message reminder :

Rory McIlroy has declared "I’ve always felt more British than Irish", "Maybe it is the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland". This seems like a pretty strong indication to me that McIlroy will represent Team GB at the Olympics in 4 years. I think its a smart move to declare his allegiance early and in good time rather than letting the media make a storm in a tea cup about the whole issue in 4 years time close to the games.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

McIlroy Declares for Britain? - Page 3 Empty Re: McIlroy Declares for Britain?

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Sep - 8:24

...that sounds more like what you'd expect from Rory.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 12 Sep - 19:40

...or his management.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Sep - 20:07

navyblueshorts wrote:...or his management.

...yeah probably.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Sep - 20:20

As an Irishman I have no problem with McIlroy saying that he feels more British than Irish. Its understandable really when he grew up where he did. However, I think the reason this story gets so much attention in Ireland is best summarised by the following statement by Rory:

"I am a proud product of Irish golf and the Golfing Union of Ireland and am hugely honoured to have come from very rich Irish sporting roots, winning Irish Boys, Youths and Amateur titles and playing for Ireland at all levels. I am also a proud Ulsterman who grew up in Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom. That is my background and always will be."

He is a product of Irish golf so it obviously would be a loss to Irish golf if he went onto represent Britain especially given the talent he is. However, I dont think it will effect the support he has been getting and will continue to get from Ireland since he was an amature. Nor as most agree does it really matter what nationality he choses to recognise as it is an individual sport.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 22:22

I dont really have an issue who he plays for in the Olympics but I really dont see why he just cant declare now whether it would be Ireland or Team GB. Whats going to change in the next 4 years that makes a difference to how he presumably feels, he's already a grown man ?
The Olympics should be all about representing your country, clearly this isnt always the case wit ha few of the plastic Brits we roped in, but I dont see why this has to be an issue for Coco. Just declare it now and get on with your golf, might cause a fuss for a while but at least come the Games in Rio the decision will already have been made for several years.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Sep - 22:26

Welcome back Diggers, thought you'd expired.

All this talk about Olympics is a bit premature anyway. McIlroy could be ranked 200 by then, and may even be behind Shane Lowry (if he hasn't died of obesity)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 22:33

Cheers SR, been in Oz for a while with the family, note to all...do not take a 6 month old and a 3 year old to Australia. Brutal flight.
Yeo, Olympics is premature but Im sure that 9.9999% of all athletes know which country they intend to represent, so why the mystery for Rory, just grow a pair and make a decision and put the matter to rest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Wed 12 Sep - 23:40

Diggers wrote:I dont really have an issue who he plays for in the Olympics but I really dont see why he just cant declare now whether it would be Ireland or Team GB. Whats going to change in the next 4 years that makes a difference to how he presumably feels, he's already a grown man ?
The Olympics should be all about representing your country, clearly this isnt always the case wit ha few of the plastic Brits we roped in, but I dont see why this has to be an issue for Coco. Just declare it now and get on with your golf, might cause a fuss for a while but at least come the Games in Rio the decision will already have been made for several years.

It may be that they are hoping that either the IOC or the R&A will make some sort of ruling on the matter and so the decision will be made for them. By that I mean that all players have to play for their home golf union or something along those lines. That's unlikely to happen in my opinion.

I say they because this also affects Graeme McDowell and potentially Michael Hoey and others. It's interesting that the question doesn't seem to be asked of anyone other than Rory. If the Olympics were on next month, Graeme McDowell would not qualify based on his current ranking if he chose GB&NI. If he chose Ireland, he would. So there is a practical element to the decision as well depending on how badly the players really want to compete at the Olympics.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Sep - 23:41

Diggers wrote:Cheers SR, been in Oz for a while with the family, note to all...do not take a 6 month old and a 3 year old to Australia. Brutal flight.
Yeo, Olympics is premature but Im sure that 9.9999% of all athletes know which country they intend to represent, so why the mystery for Rory, just grow a pair and make a decision and put the matter to rest.

Diggers, I would say it is higher than that. In fact more like 99% of athletes Whistle

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 23:48

I was never any good at maths Ray, but I blame the jet lag. Erm

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 0:32

Tinmar wrote:
Diggers wrote:I dont really have an issue who he plays for in the Olympics but I really dont see why he just cant declare now whether it would be Ireland or Team GB. Whats going to change in the next 4 years that makes a difference to how he presumably feels, he's already a grown man ?

It may be that they are hoping that either the IOC or the R&A will make some sort of ruling on the matter and so the decision will be made for them. By that I mean that all players have to play for their home golf union or something along those lines. That's unlikely to happen in my opinion.

I say they because this also affects Graeme McDowell and potentially Michael Hoey and others. It's interesting that the question doesn't seem to be asked of anyone other than Rory. If the Olympics were on next month, Graeme McDowell would not qualify based on his current ranking if he chose GB&NI. If he chose Ireland, he would. So there is a practical element to the decision as well depending on how badly the players really want to compete at the Olympics.

I agree with you Diggers - he should justt get off the fence. The backtracking has probably got more to do with alienating his Irish-American following than anything else. Rory can really put his foot in it.

Graeme McDowell has handled it well by saying "I'll play for whoever will take me, I just want to be an Olympian."
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 0:43

Does he really have a plastic Irish-American following, and even if he did, so what, it's not like they pay him money on the basis of his heritage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep - 0:54

super_realist wrote:Does he really have a plastic Irish-American following, and even if he did, so what, it's not like they pay him money on the basis of his heritage.

He's only thinking about that at the moment - don't libel him on his heritage, or indeed which heritage that is - he's working on it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 13 Sep - 1:24

If he wins a gold medal for the GB, he will be just one of many gold medal winners. If he wins one for Ireland, he will be more of a hero as he might well be the only one.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 1:28

So you think he'd want to be paraded around Dublin in an open top Austin Metro?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep - 1:34

super_realist wrote:So you think he'd want to be paraded around Dublin in an open top Austin Metro?

Well at least it would be a British.................. em car. So at least the former Leyland workers back in England will be shedding a nostalgic tear for Rory the traitor.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Sep - 1:35

so in what other scenario’s can a person from NI make a decision as to whether they are from the UK or Ireland?

Is it possible for anyone in NI to change to ROI and live in the ROI as if they were born with ROI citizenship?

If for example benefits are better in ROI can a NI get the ROI passport and move across the border to be better of?

Just looking for other examples where this scenario of choosing your nationality can play out. Or id anyone has a link to somewhere which explains the situation.

Or is this a quirk unique to sport?

PS

The other odd thing is that there is nothing different about a UK passport whether you are from any one of the regions/nations which make up the UK. For example I live in Scotland but I only get the “benefits” of devolved matters not because I am Scottish but because I hold a UK passport and live in Scotland.

you go to a Scottish school because you live in its catchment area and education is devolved. You get a “Scottish” healthcare system because you live in a certain local authority which is in Scotland…..and so on. So what unique identifier gets you the Irish passport if you are from NI. As someone from NI has the same passport as anyone else in any other part of the UK. Do you need a birth certificate with proof you were born in a hospital in NI?

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 13 Sep - 1:46; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 13 Sep - 1:36

I wonder where you would find an Austin Metro that still worked. I am pretty sure they weren't designed or built in Ireland. I wonder where that was.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 13 Sep - 1:37

I am from the north and have an Irish passport.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 1:41

Ok, an open top De Lorean or a large papier mache jacket potato on the back of a lorry.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 1:44

super_realist wrote:Does he really have a plastic Irish-American following, and even if he did, so what, it's not like they pay him money on the basis of his heritage.

I'd say he probably does. Worth a few bob as well as Irish-Americans really dig their Irish heritage. The chairman of Coca-Cola is a 5th Generation Irish-American who was responsible (with other similar Americans of Irish heritage) of getting 35K Americans to Ireland a few weekends ago to watch Notre Dame (the fighting Irish) play Navy. I heard the Secretary of the US Navy at their pep rally, brag how Navy's Irish heritage was better than Notre Dames as the Father of the US Navy was an Irishman. Something like 250 private jets flew into Dublin for that game.

It should be mentioned that President Obama took the time for some reason to visit his 7th cousins in a small village in Ireland last year.

Now, whatever Rory might feel about Irish-Americans, he is better off not going out of his way to alienate himself from them.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 13 Sep - 1:46

The De Lorean with its Flux Capacitor so he can travel back in time to see the last English major winner.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 1:47

I thought the US Navy was founded by a Scotsman (John Paul Jones).

I don't think it would affect McIlroy in any way were a few plastic paddies to have their nose put out of joint by him siding with GB. I really doubt McIlroy or the plastic paddies would give a toss wither way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 13 Sep - 1:49

Sin é wrote:
It should be mentioned that President Obama took the time for some reason to visit his 7th cousins in a small village in Ireland last year.

The clue is in the name - O'Bama.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Thu 13 Sep - 1:52

McLaren - maybe someone will correct me on this but, as far as I know, everyone in Northern Ireland is entitled to get a UK or an Irish passport as a result of the Good Friday Agreement.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 13 Sep - 1:54

Sin é wrote:

I'd say he probably does. Worth a few bob as well as Irish-Americans really dig their Irish heritage. The chairman of Coca-Cola is a 5th Generation Irish-American who was responsible (with other similar Americans of Irish heritage) of getting 35K Americans to Ireland a few weekends ago to watch Notre Dame (the fighting Irish) play Navy. I heard the Secretary of the US Navy at their pep rally, brag how Navy's Irish heritage was better than Notre Dames as the Father of the US Navy was an Irishman. Something like 250 private jets flew into Dublin for that game.

Now, whatever Rory might feel about Irish-Americans, he is better off not going out of his way to alienate himself from them.

So why cant be be British and still Irish ? Strewth, you can be a British Muslim and its not an issue, in fact its seen as a good thing, but being Irish and British is an issue? If Rory feels that way then fine, he feels more British or from the UK or whatever, doesnt alter the fact he can still be Irish just as Andy Murray can be Scottish and British. Or he could feel more Irish and go down that route. Its not like anyone is going to shoot him for it...oh hang on.......

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Sep - 1:59

Tinmar wrote:McLaren - maybe someone will correct me on this but, as far as I know, everyone in Northern Ireland is entitled to get a UK or an Irish passport as a result of the Good Friday Agreement.

So if I moved to NI i could ask for an Irish passport?

Or do they have a measure which distinguishes someone with Irish “heritage” from someone from the UK who lives in NI?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 1:59

super_realist wrote:I thought the US Navy was founded by a Scotsman (John Paul Jones).

Just shows how influencial the Irish are - they have convinced the Naval brass that an Irishman founded the US Navy!

I don't think it would affect McIlroy in any way were a few plastic paddies to have their nose put out of joint by him siding with GB. I really doubt McIlroy or the plastic paddies would give a toss wither way.

You'd think otherwise if you were in Dublin a few weeks ago to observe what looked like very affluent and young Americans shouting 'Go Irish' for their team.

---
for reference - think this fellow may have fought your fellow when your fellow was with the British Navy Wink
America's First Flag Officer:
Father of the American Navy

0 Reviewshttp://books.google.ie/books/about/America_s_First_Flag_Officer.html?id=oU1bBv_9D-sC
AuthorHouse, 17 Jul 2008 - 260 pages
John Barry, an Irish immigrant to Philadelphia in 1760, commenced a naval career that included being victorious in thirty naval engagements verses the British. Captain Barry was credited with the first capture of a British warship. He was wounded in a ferocious sea battle, quelled three mutinies and captured over twenty ships during his career. He fought the last naval battle of the Revolutionary War. Commodore John Barry was the First Flag Officer of the United States Navy and Father of the American Navy. The historical fiction of John Barry's life is fun, informative, emotional, and adventurous.
[quote]
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 2:01

What I mean is that having a bunch of inbred hicks shouting Go Irish will hardly affect McIlroy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 2:04

Tinmar wrote:McLaren - maybe someone will correct me on this but, as far as I know, everyone in Northern Ireland is entitled to get a UK or an Irish passport as a result of the Good Friday Agreement.

No, everyone born on the Island of Ireland were always entitled to an Irish passport. Anyone born on the island of Ireland prior to 1949 is entitled to a UK & Irish Passport. After 1949, only those born in NI were entitled to a UK passport.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 2:08

super_realist wrote:What I mean is that having a bunch of inbred hicks shouting Go Irish will hardly affect McIlroy.

Well, since he wants to live and play in the US, booing him for turning his back on his Irish heritage (which they cling to) might get to him Wink

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 2:11

I hardly think they'd do that. Moronic as they can be I really don't think they'd care, or even be informed enough to know the difference between UK and NI.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 2:13

Diggers wrote:
Sin é wrote:

So why cant be be British and still Irish ? Strewth, you can be a British Muslim and its not an issue, in fact its seen as a good thing, but being Irish and British is an issue? If Rory feels that way then fine, he feels more British or from the UK or whatever, doesnt alter the fact he can still be Irish just as Andy Murray can be Scottish and British. Or he could feel more Irish and go down that route. Its not like anyone is going to shoot him for it...oh hang on.......

As far as I'm concerned, Rory can be what he likes. He should just be a bit more clever about it (like Graeme McDowell).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 13 Sep - 2:16

Most of the Irish yanks are on the East Coast arent they ? Boston and NY, where all the big Paddys Day parades are. Certainly where most of the more switched on Yanks live so they probably know a bit more geography.
Might make a bit of difference to his image but in the global day and age its probably more the Asia market where all the bucks are anyway and they wont give a monkeys if he's Irish or Martian.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 13 Sep - 2:19

Sin é wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Sin é wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Rory can be what he likes. He should just be a bit more clever about it (like Graeme McDowell).

The point is though he cant be what he likes forever, not if he wants to be an Olympian he has to get off the fence and surely sooner is a better time than later ? Gmac isnt being clever, he is just procrastinating as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Sep - 2:21

super_realist wrote:I hardly think they'd do that. Moronic as they can be I really don't think they'd care, or even be informed enough to know the difference between UK and NI.

OK so, you explain the difference between the UK and NI Whistle

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 13 Sep - 2:22

What is it about clinging to a daft Nth generation Irish heritage in the U.S.? I can understand it maybe if it's one or two generations removed but 7th etc??
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 2:22

Most Americans' even the plastic Oirish ones probably couldn't find NI or ROI on a map.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Thu 13 Sep - 2:31

I don't recall the question being posed to McDowell so why should he just put his neck out and make a declaration?

Personally see nothing wrong with Rory not making a decision, he said that was the case since Golf was announced as an Olympic sport and he was first asked. It's hardly procrastinating it's simply being respectful of home support.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 13 Sep - 2:34

The difference, hmm...

I stress this is in jest but, being on the Isle of Man and given the lyrics almost seem pertinent to our geography it could almost be "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right..."

Shall I get my coat and run now?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 13 Sep - 2:34

Why has this turned into such a big issue? Any true irish golf fan has known for ages that he felt british. Ive never seen him as irish.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 13 Sep - 2:35

MCilroys choice is the same choice as every other person from NI had for the Londan Olympics.....................the issue here is that nobody really cared if it was a rower or a boxer or a hockey player..............McIlroy is one of the Worlds best and most famous sportsmen, so it's BIG news when he's concerned..........................

Of course, his problem is being too open and honest...........instead of saying "no comment" for the next 3 years....................

After the Good Friday Agreement, McIlroy has the choice of being a British or Irish citizen............i think he has obviously made the choice on being "British" but has been advised by his advisers not to "DECLARE" as yet....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 13 Sep - 2:38

I dont see how it is being resperctful of any support ? Id like to think that an Olympian represented the country they wanted to represent, not the one that either ticked the correct boxes for them commercially or supposedly in McDowells case is the one he can simply make the team for. Id rather have a guy who felt Britich play for Britain in the Olympics than a guy who simply couldnt make the Irish team therefore opted for Team GB.
As I said before, whats meant to change in the next four years that would change their minds ? Gmac is in his 30's for gods sake, and he cant state who he would choose to represent in an Olympics. If thats not procrastination Ive no idea what is.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Sep - 2:43

It is a curiosity of Americans that they cling to what they perceive as their national heritage so long as they don't actually have to go to the country in question. Whether it's the food, beer, weather, perceived "socialism" etc etc etc.

But then I spent a more than bizarre afternoon once in a South African Scottish Regiment club in Johannesburg where it was quite clear that prejudices knew no boundaries. Extraordinary.

PS: Savannah has one of the top two or three largest St.Patrick's Day celebrations . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 13 Sep - 2:44

I'd honestly rather know what type of tee he used.

Dont think I can see Golf in the Olympics being anything other than an unspectacular fail.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Sep - 3:26

McLaren wrote:

So if I moved to NI i could ask for an Irish passport?

Or do they have a measure which distinguishes someone with Irish “heritage” from someone from the UK who lives in NI?

If you are born in NI you can have a Irish passport.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 13 Sep - 3:28

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Why has this turned into such a big issue? Any true irish golf fan has known for ages that he felt british. Ive never seen him as irish.

It made me chuckle slightly when he was talking about the US PGA in 2010 and how keen he was on winning it (and to be fair to him, he wasn't far off)... because he didn't want to be the only Irishman on the European Ryder Cup team not to have a major.

Funny how that situation has developed and been rectified with interest this time around, even taking into account the NI vice captain... and even without Padraig.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep - 3:56

One hole for the Irish, one hole for the British...
two flags on the one pole...,
God Save the Amhrán na bhFiann as Anthem....
... and two gold medals around his neck...

I think that would be a great round-the-table, in all fairness victory for PCness for all.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Sep - 6:17

I would be disappointed if he doesn't compete for Ireland, I think he should as a GUI member and everything but at the end of the day it's his choice. If his heart isn't in it playing for Ireland then he shouldn't be playing for them. If he considers himself British then he should play for them. He would still get massive support from Irish people as he should.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Sep - 7:26

Thomond wrote:I would be disappointed if he doesn't compete for Ireland, I think he should as a GUI member and everything but at the end of the day it's his choice. If his heart isn't in it playing for Ireland then he shouldn't be playing for them. If he considers himself British then he should play for them. He would still get massive support from Irish people as he should.

That's how I feel too pretty much.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next