The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications

+7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Rodney
bellchees
88Chris05
alanqlm
manos de piedra
11 posters

Go down

Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications Empty Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications

Post by manos de piedra Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:33 pm

I see Sulaiman has come out and re-iterated that the WBC will not allow their title to be unified with any other major sanctioning body.

Danny Garcia has been contacted with an ultimatum regarding which of his WBA/WBC titles he wants to keep for his next fight against Morales. The WBC have warned him that they will withdraw their recognition of him as champion unless he vacates his WBA title which he recently won off Amir Khan.

Sulaiman has also said that an investigation will be held into Andre Wards recent fight with Chad Dawson in which both WBA and WBC titles were on the line. This was not in occurdance with WBC policy and may lead to Ward being stripped of his WBC title.

Recently Toshiaka Nishioka was stripped of his WBC title but the WBC have declared that they will put their diamond title on the line for his upcoming bout with Nonito Donaire (who will have his IBF and WBO titles at stake).

Any of this make sense? Nah, thought not.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications Empty Re: Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications

Post by alanqlm Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

Reckon its about time WBC was just boycotted. If top fighters shun them cause of this mentality they are taking it won't be long before they become meaningless.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications Empty Re: Sulaiman Re-iterates WBC policy on unifications

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:46 pm

It's a disgrace, pure and simple. A sad indictment of boxing's plight in recent times.

The worst thing is, there's no way that Sulaiman and his joke of an organisation can be stopped from carrying out this kind of nonsense. They operate with impunity.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Worse than the WBO for me. I hope they just get disregarded as soon as possible.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:54 pm

Its an an absurd policy and the way the WBC are going it cant be long before they just start picking their own champions. They stripped Nishioka because they didnt want him holding their title, they stripped Martinez to make way for Chavez, they handed Alvarez a belt and I suspect if Chavez loses to Martinez they will strip Ward to make room for Chavez going up a weight and grabbing the Super Middle WBC title.

I guess nowadays with all four titles being equally meaningless the WBC want to reclaim a little bit of the prestige or exclusivity they once had and want champions to prioritise their title. But a sensible, transperant and fairly run organisation and ranking system would have been a far better option.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Its an an absurd policy and the way the WBC are going it cant be long before they just start picking their own champions. They stripped Nishioka because they didnt want him holding their title, they stripped Martinez to make way for Chavez, they handed Alvarez a belt and I suspect if Chavez loses to Martinez they will strip Ward to make room for Chavez going up a weight and grabbing the Super Middle WBC title.

I guess nowadays with all four titles being equally meaningless the WBC want to reclaim a little bit of the prestige or exclusivity they once had and want champions to prioritise their title. But a sensible, transperant and fairly run organisation and ranking system would have been a far better option.

Now you're just dreaming.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:06 pm

Something needs to be done about this, promoters, fighters can't let this go on where will it stop with this horrible little creep Sulaiman?

It's beyond even a joke now, no other sport would have such pathetic rulings.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:21 pm

They are a despicable organisation run by a glorified taco salesman and the sanctioning system in boxing now is beyond the absurd. Very rare you see a fight these days where at least one of the fighters isn't wearing a belt representing a title, sub-title, domestic title or sub-domestic title of some kind. They've all got belts, everyone's a champ of something. The whole sport has been devalued by this nonsense, but then we, the fans, already know this.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

Why do they care??

Surely as long as the fees are paid it doesn't make any extra difference.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

A bizarre, and sport-murdering, way of thinking from the WBC. Why do any boxers or promoters even value the WBC title anymore? How does a toad like Suliman get to maintain any form of legitimacy? A boycott is the answer. No one pays his fees. No one wants his belts. Boxing publications dismisses the WBC as a a farce. All that's needed is a bit of solidarity and the power of organisations like this could be weakened significantly. We need a few pros and ex-pros to step up and lead a concerted campaign against the behaviour of sanctioning bodies. Without the fighters they are nothing.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:39 pm

I actually am in favour of this decision and hope the other governing bodies follow suit with equally ridiculous measures. I would favour the WBA refusing to have anyone who has facial hair as their champion, the WBO to refuse to recognize any fighter not signed with Warren and the WBA to refuse to have anyone as their champion with more than 2 vowels in their surname. The time has long since passed where we could hold out hope of the governing bodies working together and attempting to work in the best interests of the sport. Given this the only hope is if they reach a point of such patent ridiculousness either or all of the promoters, fighters and TV companies refuse point blank to deal with them, and this is an admirable step in that direction.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:44 pm

Its strange because there is no obvious starting point to actually doing something about cleaning up the titles. Fighters and promoters are not going to turn down a world title because it makes them more marketable, tv companies want to promote as many fights as possible as world title affairs so they dont have a real vested interest in making a stand. Most fans of the sport obviously know the situation is a joke but there isnt a whole lot they can do about it. If something could have been done about it then I think it would have already happened because the situation at present with the additional diamand/silver/regular titles is just beyond any and all comprehension. I think probably the commissions are the ones best placed to do something abut it but they are pretty inept themselves. Psychologically for a fair while now though I have almost stopped recognising the 4 sanctioning bodies as anything more than kind of marketing agencies. I still hold the Ring belt as a good benchmark but there arent a whole lot of them out there. 4/5 in total I think.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

Psychologically for a fair while now though I have almost stopped recognising the 4 sanctioning bodies as anything more than kind of marketing agencies. I still hold the Ring belt as a good benchmark but there arent a whole lot of them out there. 4/5 in total I think. .

Perhaps it's time to start awarding a 606 V2 belt to the most worthy fighters in each division (apologies if we already do). I would imagine that it wouldn't be hugely difficult to get some kind of consensus.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:06 pm

Does anyone even care about world titles any more? I stopped caring about them the last time they said this.

Are we watching Chavez vs Martinez for the WBC world title, or are we watching it because its a good fight?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:08 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Its an an absurd policy and the way the WBC are going it cant be long before they just start picking their own champions. They stripped Nishioka because they didnt want him holding their title, they stripped Martinez to make way for Chavez, they handed Alvarez a belt and I suspect if Chavez loses to Martinez they will strip Ward to make room for Chavez going up a weight and grabbing the Super Middle WBC title.

I could only hope that Chavez moves up to super middle, he would get annihilated by everyone in the top 15.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down