The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Individual muscle groups...worth training?

5 posters

Go down

Individual muscle groups...worth training? Empty Individual muscle groups...worth training?

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

Let's say you head up to the gym three times per week. Shoulders on the first visit, back on the second and chest on the third. Those are your compounds sorted, but do you think it is worth training triceps and biceps in addition?

These days I often find that I cannot be bothered to train these muscle groups separately, purely relying on the 'secondary' workout they're given during the core three groups I train.

The question is...should I? Is it worth it?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Individual muscle groups...worth training? Empty Re: Individual muscle groups...worth training?

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:10 pm

Fists, how you doing? It's been a while!

I think it depends entirely upon your aims. You're a boxer aren't you? So I imagine that the training combined with the weight syou mentioned gives your arms a pretty decent workout as it is. I guess you don't want your arms to be too big as a boxer, too much weight?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Individual muscle groups...worth training? Empty Re: Individual muscle groups...worth training?

Post by liverbnz Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:20 pm

You could add 3*10 chin-ups at the end of every other workout if you really wanted to have bigger arms although it's entirely personal preference. If you're pressing/deadlifting it's probably sufficient.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:54 pm

Hey Bluestone, not bad thanks mate. You?

Just getting back in to the weights after a month or two of just ticking over slowly.

Yeah I'm not looking for bigger arms, just definition really I guess now. Admittedly, I have seen no noticeable losses in my arms since taking more of a relaxed attitude to training those individual muscle groups.

Hi Liverbnz, I do throw in some chin ups now and again. I guess they'd probably be the best option, along with dips (which I always incorporate in to my chest workout) and pressups for working on definition and keeping those muscles lean?

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

I'm like you fisty...not a gym rat......

Tend to stick to compounds with an isolation stuck in to finish......

dips, squats, chins. powercleans..bb curls (no deads anymore with my back) make up the core...

never train longer than 50 mins but I generally do only two bodyparts at the most in that time...sometimes just one...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:07 am

I'm good thanks Fists.

To be honest, I reckon for what you're after, what you are doing is fine. Like Trussman says, compounds are the key I think, and your arms get a good workout from most of them anyway- triceps especially. Anything else is just like the icing on the cake really, and fine tweaks.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

Truss
Have a look on the sugdenbarbell website and look at the training journal of a guy called Tom Martin.
He has been known to either Squat and/or Deadlift practically everyday of the week.
He holds the world record deadlift for his weight category!

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:15 pm

Tom Martin is either an idiot or he's got Flex wheeler genetics....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:23 pm

Truss
Don't think either to be honest - did you actually look at his training journal?

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down