The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away

+2
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
6 posters

Go down

Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away Empty Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:24 pm

Again, I don't know how serious Andy's injury is and I am assuming that his injury wasn't that serious because he was able to hit shots afterwards that looked pretty decent he just completely lost focus in the third. Rafa got a bit fortunate to win the 1st as Andy couldn't get a first serve over, and Andy really imposed his will in the second. Again, Murray when he should have been ecstatic that he had all of it to play for in the 3rd set has a go at the official and completely lost focus in third set. I don't know he really needs to address this issue of loving focus in the match.

Nadal in my mind played a good third set and just good enough in the first set to capitalize on Murray's poor serving. Andy was taking it to Nadal for much of the early part of the match in most of the rallies. I don't want to be overly critical because I think both players exhibited skill and great athleticism. It was a gripping encounter until the deciding set.

Right now Andy has all the shots but I think he self destructed in the last set, and again this would have been a monumental victory over Rafa on clay. This could have been a classic final, it was hard fought but one guy showed up for the third set and one guy just didn't. If it is because of an injury then my apologies to Andy. But to me he was hitting the ball ok afterwards he just lost all his poise by going after the umpire.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away Empty Re: Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away

Post by Guest Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

Andy had some cortisone and painkiller injections 25 mins before the match, so I think they kicked in sometime during the first set and wore off during the second set, as his level of play indicated by its undulations.

Nadal pretty much out played Murray in the 3rd set anyway, not sure if he was 100% would have made the ending any different, it may have gone to 6-4, but Nadal was totally focused in the end games.

Back to top Go down

Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away Empty Re: Rafa got lucky and Andy really threw this one away

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Apr 2011, 4:24 pm

i totally agree with you Jubba.. Rafa new in that second set he had lost it and let it go.. but he came out for the 3rd a different player and IMHO I dont think Andy´s wrist would have saved him from defeat he was outplayed.
If Andy would stop winding himself up, berating himself, umpires and his team, all of which is totally non-productive and self-defeating he might, win a title in the near future but Im not holding my breath. Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by MTS1 Sun 17 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

Well I enjoyed it Smile , I was encouraged by Andys game on the red stuff even more encouraged that he could give Rafa a match with the injury he had. Still don't think he would have beaten Rafa in the third if he didn't have the injury, Rafa just cranked it up again and dominated the set like we see him do so many times.

MTS1

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 17 Apr 2011, 5:05 pm

I was pleased with the way Andy played this week - pity about
the elbow injury but, Fanatical fan that I am, even I agree that
Rafa would win. He is, after all, the King Of Clay thumbsup

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

Again, I just don't have enough info about Andy's injury. But he was cruising at the end of the second set, 5 minutes laters he blows up at the umpire and can't win a game. In the middle of the second set (when it was too late) he regains composure and gets one of his two breaks back. So frankly, it didn't look like the injury caused him to lay a stinker in set #3. But I could be wrong. And he had a better than expected tournament albeit with an exceedingly weak draw to the semis.

Ill tell you this much if Rafa played this match against Novak at monaco he would not be walking away with another big trophy. I think Nadal played better in Miami, eventhough he lost that match on hardcourt. True that this is a slow court and two of the best returners in the business are playing. But the serving in the first set from both men was awful. Still the level in the first two sets was very high, except for the mediocre serving. The base line exchanges and the war of drop shots was most engrossing.

To me it just isn't a coincidence that after Murray starts to gripe and moan and has a go at the official that he gets down a double break. If the injury was so bad why was he able to get one of the breaks back afterwards?

Good tourney, great effort in the first two sets, so it isn't a completely lost cause for Andy. But it is disconcerting that again he lost the mental battle in the deciding set. Some players play great when they get angry, Mac and Connors were both that way. Mac would blow up at a linesmen, throw a tirade for 5 minutes and then go on to win 11 of the next 12 points. Murray is not that kind of champion unfortunately. Connors was the same way, his tantrums wouldn't throw him off his game they would throw his opponent off.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 17 Apr 2011, 6:04 pm

SoCal _ Andy had a couple of cortizone injections in his elbow about 30 mins. prior to
the match - it was touch and go IF he played at all !

He wasn't allowed a MTO during the match as his injury occurred BEFORE the game started.
Obviously the pain-killing injections and adrenaline began to wear off during thr 3rd set severely
hampering his ability to strike the ball.

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by MTS1 Sun 17 Apr 2011, 6:42 pm

The reported interviews given in the papers today say that Andy had said that he was nervous about getting a cortesone injection in his elbow as he had never had one before, never mind just before going out to play in competative game. He didn't know how he would react and he said that for the first few hits he couldn't feel anything. I'm not a fan of pain killing injections, was aware of it being given to a race horse before (many years ago) and the horse broke his leg and was put down. Different situation I know but if you are numbing injuries it is not treating it as far as I'm concerned. Crying or Very sad

MTS1

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 17 Apr 2011, 7:58 pm

Well said MTS1

Who knows what underlying injury is masked by a pain klilling
injection. Andy was brave, but fool=hardy, to even consider
it. But he did and thems the consquences Shocked

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Apr 2011, 10:13 pm

socal - "To me it just isn't a coincidence that after Murray starts to gripe and moan and has a go at the official that he gets down a double break. If the injury was so bad why was he able to get one of the breaks back afterwards"

I have to agree with you on this, I'm sure Haddie will too.

I didnt see much of that great 2nd set, tis a pity, but I did see him, not really blow up, but have a go at the umpire and it affected his game after that. A typical loss of focus.

Two things happened, Rafa thought I'd better start playing well here or I'm out, and Murray thought, that damned umpire bla bla bla...missed a shot, its the end of the world bla bla bla.

And the 3rd set score line illustrated the differences perfectly.

Will he learn? I think so, but he needs to concentrate on focusing... Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 5:49 am

Again, if the man was injured and he looked like he was carrying a knock that is fine and good for him that he was being brave. But the thing that is odd for me is that Andy Murray was still able to hit shots and rebreak Rafa after he gave up a double break. He played better at the end of the 3rd set then the beginning. He lost control for 5 minutes and went down a double break. If the injury started to hurt at the start of the third set why did he play better later in the set?. I am not saying he wasn't hurt or it didn't play a role, he lost his poise again, injury or not. And it is not a good trend.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 7:33 am

If Andy had a cortesone injection before the start of that game I would be most surprised if the affects had worn off during the match .. unless it was only a minor dose.. Ive had cortesone myself for tendinitis and it normally lasts longer than three hours. He had MTO and it would appear that the trainer was using pain killing gell which would have helped him in the third.

Two things I believe made a huge difference to that match. 1) Rafa was in trouble in the second.. he didnt bother to fight back and re-grouped for the third. He was ner ous of losing another tournament having already lost two in row to Novak.. he came out for the third set more positive and played like we know he can.
2)
Without harping on it Yummy.. but you know Ive said it before.. there is nothing wrong with Andy that Andy could not cure. His attitude on court is the worst on tour..He mentally has not got it together. He has enormous talent which Rafa has already acknowledged time and time again. But mentally he is weak..He wants someone else to blame.. constantly yelling at his team, berating himself and the umpire. Can he not see that he is doing more damage to his game than anyone can. If Nadal needed help to win that game (and I dont believe for one cotton picking minute he did) then Andy gave it to him on a platter.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 8:49 am

Haddie, I agree about Andy, but don't you think Rafa played a rather dreary three set match on clay, and that he gave Murray enough opportunities to win the match which Murray just didn't take? Personally, I know he won his 7th straight, I know he tore through the tourney losing one set; but still I wasn't overly impressed with Rafa's game. Maybe it has to do with setting the bar so high. But he didn't play anyone that could hurt him till the semis and if Murray maintained his focus (or health) in the third set he would have been in big trouble. To me I don't know about playing Barcelona either, it seems he is really putting a lot of tennis in between now and wimbeldon. He needs to pull the double again with RG and wimby if he wants to keep the #1. We know he has had problems breaking down in the second half of the year in the past. Why stick another tournament in before wimby?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 18 Apr 2011, 8:57 am

Good grief Haddie you're up early Very Happy

I agree with you to a certain extent (faints Shocked )
Andy is a typical British Lad - slow to mature - but he will
hopefully !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:05 am

Dont forget Im an hour in front of you here in sunny (but very windy) Spain yummy Hug

I feel frustrated for you Yummy.. he has such potential .. I want to shake him sometimes so doubtless you do.

Socal... you should be reading his pressers. 1) Rafa has admitted he was below par (taking nothing from his oponents) He was very very nervous ... he was worried he would lose a third title in a row.. (difficult to accept for someone of Rafa´s calibre) 2). He has been watching videos of himself playing on clay last year.. he has adapted his game so much for h.c. that he has almost forgotten how to slide on clay (being one of the best at it makes him the clay court player he is) 3) That is why he is playing Barcelona this year.. I think he realises that he will be criticised for that.. but because he has so many points to defend he needs to get as many in the bank the clay court season beforE HC starts again . He needs that extra experience on Clay..he knows he has to improve.. yes Novak has jogged him out of any complacency he may of had regarding his prowess on clay.. no bad thing thumbsup

Might be difficult for us to understand his thinking on that one Socal.. but Im sure Rafa and his team know what they are doing (I dont think Rafa is particularly bothered about the Barca title) he wants Madrid.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:30 am

There is hope Yummy have you seen this article.. Hug

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/Andy-Murray-David-Haye-friendship-helping-on-tennis-court-041411

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:41 am

Haddie I would disagree with the point that Andy has the worst attitude on court on tour. Rafa himself when warned by an umpire shows moments of petulance as have other players on tour. Serena Williams for example at the US Open ring any bells? I find it frustrating with players like Davdydenko and Verdassco who when losing give up and show no fight what so ever during matches.

Murray finds himself playing against players that have much more abillity than himself. Andy himself identifies this and improves year on year. That in itself should be applauded as other players you see accept they can't improve on their own abilities and don't show anywhere near the same drive that Andy does. Andy can beat the best. What he truly needs is consistency during Grand Slam events.

Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:48 am

Let's hope that David continues to be a source of inspiration
for Andy !

Thanks Haddie - good article thumbsup

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:59 am

yummy dont get detracted by the negative stuff that gets posted.

Just enjoy his tennis like the rest of his fans Very Happy

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 11:36 am

legendkillar wrote:Haddie I would disagree with the point that Andy has the worst attitude on court on tour. Rafa himself when warned by an umpire shows moments of petulance as have other players on tour. Serena Williams for example at the US Open ring any bells? I find it frustrating with players like Davdydenko and Verdassco who when losing give up and show no fight what so ever during matches.

Murray finds himself playing against players that have much more abillity than himself. Andy himself identifies this and improves year on year. That in itself should be applauded as other players you see accept they can't improve on their own abilities and don't show anywhere near the same drive that Andy does. Andy can beat the best. What he truly needs is consistency during Grand Slam events.

Smile

Well of course you are entitled to disagree. I have no problem with that... but there are few who would.. but to compare him to Rafa Doh
I counted three four letter words uttered by Andy on court... and yes I do know some Spanish swear words and if Rafa behaved like that I can tell you now Toni would not coach him again.

SL
Some of the comments on here about Andy are negative thats true.. but if you are a true fan of Andy and I know that yummy is.. you would take a lot on board about his mental attitude.
There is no real criticism of Andy´s talent far from it. Get his mindset under control and he is a definite threat without doubt and certainly a potential banana skin for Rafa

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 11:56 am

Well, not that I think Novak will be unseating Rafa as the king of clay this year, but it just didn't seem like the same flawless play on this surface that we have come to expect from Rafa. And I don't know if I buy your point on him forgetting how to slide that is kind of like forgetting how to ride a bike or swim. Especially, in light of how often he plays on the stuff. I still think Rafa is head and shoulders above everyone else. But maybe this year it won't be such a clean and easy sweep of the clay as last year was.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 18 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

H-n

I think he himself knows that he hasn't the best "body language" on court and there are issues that he is trying to address (and hopefully he will)

With regards to having the worst attitude I think he may have some competition, especially in racket destruction, havent seen him ever destroying one.

Also with MTO's he hasnt had many, if any and was annoyed because he felt he had a genuine case for trainer assistance which the rules didn't allow at that particular time - his mistake!

I am trying to give up responding to the usual wum comments on Andy, however I do know you are a genuine tennis fan hence the reply.

As far as a semi-final victory for Rafa I didn't have any doubts that he would probably get his seventh title here, but was glad to see some improvement in Andy's game considering how bad he has performed since the AO Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 1:11 pm

SL Im not criticising Andy for MTO not at all. I sincerely do hope that he addresses this problem of attitude for his own sake.. one it isn´t pleasant to watch but mostly because, I reitterate, its self-defeating. He gives too much away to his oponent. Novak has overcome it and look what difference it has made to his game. I admit Im not a great fan of Andy´s but what I hate to see for you and all his fans he has obvious talent which he himself is wasting.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 1:14 pm

socal1976 wrote:Well, not that I think Novak will be unseating Rafa as the king of clay this year, but it just didn't seem like the same flawless play on this surface that we have come to expect from Rafa. And I don't know if I buy your point on him forgetting how to slide that is kind of like forgetting how to ride a bike or swim. Especially, in light of how often he plays on the stuff. I still think Rafa is head and shoulders above everyone else. But maybe this year it won't be such a clean and easy sweep of the clay as last year was.

Socal I dont know if you want to buy MY point or Rafa´s
Yahoo Eurosport

I'm happy about my calendar, if I'm wrong, let's see," he said. "The positive thing is I didn't play perfectly and I won."

Nadal sits so deep behind the baseline he can hit the ball at the top of the bounce, important in claycourt play, and then generate enormous top-spin with his forehand which means his opponent can do little but get it back over the net.

He said at the start of the week he has watched videos of himself from previous years to relearn how to move on clay after almost a year on grass and hardcourts. His opponents should probably do the same.

No one slides to a ball like Nadal, meaning he always seems to get to any half decent shot, while his stamina in the long rallies associated with the surface is only currently being matched by Spaniards like Ferrer brought up on clay.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 2:13 pm

Latest News on Andy´s elbow

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_6882697,00.html

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:36 pm

I hope it isn't anything serious with Andy, it would be a shame to play a good tournament and then have to battle injury. Haddie, I still think Rafa will do excellent this clay court season. But maybe I am just hopeful that Novak can get a 1000 pointer off Nadal, and I am looking for any chink Nadal's impressive play.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:56 pm

Thanks for that Haddie

I hope all will be well for oor Andy. Rafa and Djoko must now
battle it out for the #1 spot this year

WHAT a contest that will be Drool

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:03 pm

Well Im erring on the side of caution (as I think so is Rafa) he is considered now and for some years to come, I believe,the best clay court player of all time.
He holds a phenominal record and in that regard he is unique. However, as he has said, he is not invincible. As Daveeeed said he is not a machine. He cant do it forever but I hope he manages this year at least to fend off those who would be king. Vamos Rafa and good luck to all those who would like to beat you.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:53 am

Yes, my biggest hope is that Rafa, Novak, JMDP, and Andy all remain healthy this year. Because I feel like these young players are coming into their own. And I want to see what this generation of (22-24 year olds) who just now entering their prime can accomplish, and what level they can take the game to. All four have not been healthy at the same time for much of their careers. I think all of these fours will lift grandslam titles in the future (yes that includes andy) as most have in the past, and it will be these 4 guys that define the next two or three years of the tour. Lets wish them good health so truely the best man wins.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down