The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luther Burrell Saints outside centre??

+9
Chjw131
beshocked
niwatts
ChequeredJersey
timhen
Geordie
Cumbrian
yappysnap
englandglory4ever
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Luther Burrell Saints outside centre?? - Page 2 Empty Luther Burrell Saints outside centre??

Post by englandglory4ever Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:14 am

First topic message reminder :

I was very impressed with the new centre for Saints at the weekend. He is big, looks the part, has pace and scored a very powerful try. Who is he? Is he England qualified? If he is then SL should get him in to the Saxons tout de suite.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Luther Burrell Saints outside centre?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Luther Burrell Saints outside centre??

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:"I have read a number of your posts in the past bestowing the virtues of only looking at big players and I have to admit to having the complete opposite view. "

You'd better stop watching test rugby mate it obviously goes against your morals.

To a certain extent I agree with that. I'm not a fan of the atmosphere at Twickenham as there is always far too large a contingent there who are just there to get smashed and not watch the game. If you go and watch a game at Saints, Tigers, Quins or Glaws you get a partisan, yet friendly environment full of knowledgeable supporters, not drunk idiots. But that rant's for another day.

Rugby is not about size it's about how you use it. The reason why the ABs are always so good is the level of intensity they bring to the game, not their bulk. Looking in Jeff terms, one of the best flankers, if not the best in the division is Burger, but he is also one of the smaller flankers, yet not many people will want to be hit by him! Coming back to the centres, if Banahan were to re-appear for England in the centers it would fill be full of dread. The guy is big, he has improved his off-loading game, but he is an average club player, he doesn't play with the level of intensity that someone smaller such as Anthony Allen does.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Luther Burrell Saints outside centre?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Luther Burrell Saints outside centre??

Post by mbernz Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Just ignore the guy, if he thinks Greenwood was a power centre he's clearly living in an imaginary world.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:17 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:"Let's take Shane Williams, Jason Robinson and Fofana as good cases in point to start with. "

So are you saying you'd play ickle Shane and Jason Robinson in the centres then? They would have got slaughtered.

Jason Robinson did play a decent amount at 13. Did pretty well actually. Though I'd rather we referred to normal sized blokes who play centre

For the love of God I was not referring to Shane and Robinson as centres. The entire post concerned the more general debate about size and skill. EG4E simply requires big players, I am saying that size is absolutely no substitute for superior skill. No one is saying you can't be big and skillfull, but neither does it mean you can't be small and skillfull and therefore beat a bigger player.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I can see where EG4E is coming from - it's like the boxing adage that a good big 'un beats a good little 'un every time. I can also see where EG4E is coming from in saying that you can't afford to have a weak defender in the midfield.

However, it seems to me that it's quite a leap to go from 'all other things being equal, bigger is better' to 'bigger is always better'. BOD is not big for a centre, neither is Conrad Smith. Yet they are probably the top two centres of the last 10 years. They show that, so long as you meet a particular standard for physicality, skill can make the difference. Parallel them with Ma'a Nonu. In the early part of his career, he wasn't a guaranteed starter for NZ - that was mainly because while he had incredible power, he also had the potential to kill attacking opportunities through a lack of skill. He's now improved in that area and is far more dangerous as an attacking threat because he's less predictable.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Im sure Banahan is not the first big guy to be stopped by a little....he just got that one completely wrong.

I actually rate Banahan...im just not sure where to go with him. Shame he hadnt picked to play No.8.

He looks like hes being settled in at 12...and if he can use his abilities there then he could be a valuable weapon for England.
At the moment at 12 we cant afford to be choosey.
Indeed your probably all well aware who I would have at 12 for England Very Happy Wink

I do think a balance is important...a powerhouse and a thinker / creater.

BUt ive said it before....it very much depends on the set up of the rest of the team...back row etc. Its not just down two picking two players for the centre spots...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:25 pm

GeordieFalcon do you really think a championship player should be considered for England as things stand?

Both Luther Burrell and your mate need to prove themselves. I don't think either have done anywhere near enough yet.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Nah mate...just winding it up...but im just making the point that if we're going for that kind of player...then IMO Fitzy is as good as many of the Premier 12's....and certainly better than "606's latest vogue player Burrell" who has been a bench player for championship side Leeds...

My choice is Barritt. Whilst i do have ?? over his offensive ability...i think its harsh to judge him...when he's had Farrell at 10...inconsistant Youngs at 9...and a serious lack of anykind of ball carrier coming from the pack.

I will judge him once he has that kind of support...and if he still shows nothing then he should rightfully move aside.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Agree with that Geordiefalcon. OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2