The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luther Burrell

+7
beshocked
pbuk0
doctor_grey
Exiledinborders
rosbif
Geordie
robshaw4england
11 posters

Go down

Luther Burrell Empty Luther Burrell

Post by robshaw4england Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:33 pm

After hearing both Yarde and Wade were injured, it made sense to see Foden given his chance on the wing. This naturally opened up a space on the bench. Before reading Alex Goodes name, I presumed it would be taken by Luther Burrell and this made me very excited.

After reading Goodes name, although disappointed not to see Burrell in the squad, I'm sure Goode's form merits a call up. However, Burrell really is the form centre in the country. He has looked very impressive this season, he is far more than the one dimensional player we all believed him to be when reminiscing of seasons past, he puts in big hits - he runs strong support/dummy lines and his passing game has actually come on leaps and bounds with more game time, but the most important thing for me is that nothing seems to phase him.

Twelvetrees is only in the squad due to potential and his form last season. If this team was being picked on form alone Twelvetrees would be lucky to make the Saxons, let alone the matchday 15. Eastmond is another player who has been exciting in glimpses this season. However, Burrell is the only centre who has consistently made me take notice.

We need star quality and I think Luther can provide that, especially due to the physicality we are missing from the mercurial Tuilagi.

Anyway, hopefully England will come good this weekend. Even if we are looking a little lacklustre in the centres.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Luther Burrell Empty Re: Luther Burrell

Post by Geordie Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Got to say, i said this on another thread...Burrell off the bench is a great option if Twelvetrees and TOmkins arent doing the business.

He would give us that go forward physical presence.

We'll see what happens on Saturday.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Yea Goode is hardly going to speed things up

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 pm

robshaw4england wrote:After hearing both Yarde and Wade were injured, it made sense to see Foden given his chance on the wing. This naturally opened up a space on the bench. Before reading Alex Goodes name, I presumed it would be taken by Luther Burrell and this made me very excited.

After reading Goodes name, although disappointed not to see Burrell in the squad, I'm sure Goode's form merits a call up. However, Burrell really is the form centre in the country. He has looked very impressive this season, he is far more than the one dimensional player we all believed him to be when reminiscing of seasons past, he puts in big hits - he runs strong support/dummy lines and his passing game has actually come on leaps and bounds with more game time, but the most important thing for me is that nothing seems to phase him.

Twelvetrees is only in the squad due to potential and his form last season. If this team was being picked on form alone Twelvetrees would be lucky to make the Saxons, let alone the matchday 15. Eastmond is another player who has been exciting in glimpses this season. However, Burrell is the only centre who has consistently made me take notice.

We need star quality and I think Luther can provide that, especially due to the physicality we are missing from the mercurial Tuilagi.

Anyway, hopefully England will come good this weekend. Even if we are looking a little lacklustre in the centres.
I am not sure this post makes sense. Foden was on bench to cover wing anf full back. Are you suggesting Burrell would cover those positions. Flood covers fly half and centre. Burrell cannot cover fly half. Burrell can only be used if coach is confident that if Farrell is injured 36 can cover fly half. I would not be happy with that.

I would be happy with Burrell playing in starting XV but he is not flexible enough to be a bench option.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Goode? Been there. Done that.
Unless we are talking Andy Goode. I would have him in the pivot, no questions asked.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 pm

I have never been so underwhelmed by an England Team Selection.. I was looking forward to seeing Yarde and Wade on the Wings.. Possibly Burrell in the centres and finally no Ashton in the team plus Dickson back to the Aviva Premiership where he belongs.. Also Tomkins reminds me of Tindell which I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.. and don't get me started on Goode being on the bench, I hope that this will be the last time that we see him wearing an England shirt..

However on the positive side I am pleased that Wilson is given a start as Cole has not looked great for the last 6 months or so.. Hartley is back is a positive and so is Launchbury/ Laws being retained in the 2nd row...

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:58 am

pbuk0 wrote:I have never been so underwhelmed by an England Team Selection.. I was looking forward to seeing Yarde and Wade on the Wings.. Possibly Burrell in the centres and finally no Ashton in the team plus Dickson back to the Aviva Premiership where he belongs.. Also Tomkins reminds me of Tindell which I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.. and don't get me started on Goode being on the bench, I hope that this will be the last time that we see him wearing an England shirt..

However on the positive side I am pleased that Wilson is given a start as Cole has not looked great for the last 6 months or so.. Hartley is back is a positive and so is Launchbury/ Laws being retained in the 2nd row...
Wade and Yarde are injured. I don't know why most people don't seem to know that.

Poor Goode getting bashed. No I wouldn't put him on the bench either but it's not his fault.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:11 am

By the sound of the weather forecast it's probably a smart idea to have someone like good on the bench. Looking at the positives Wilson gets his start, 2nd row get a further chance together, Vunipola can build on his good 1st game (proper), Dickson (and everyone else coming into the squad/team) knows he won't be discarded after 1 poor game. Looking forward to it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am

You cant drop ashton when your other two wingers are injured, you cant drop tompkins and dickson after one game, if you select them to play they deserve at least two chances (remember Tait and Allen) and tompkins definately deserves a chance when his 10/12 combo decide to turn up and pass the flipping ball. As far as goode i dont rate him but if its going to be absolutly chucking it down on saturday and its a kicking/territorial/ set piece game then he is very good at that.

Sadly this was burrells best chance, by the six nations tuilagi and barritt will be fit and despite 12trees ONE average game i would still have him over burrell at the moment, especially if we are playing tuilagi who seems to have glue on his hands when it comes to passing.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 am

beshocked wrote:
pbuk0 wrote:I have never been so underwhelmed by an England Team Selection.. I was looking forward to seeing Yarde and Wade on the Wings.. Possibly Burrell in the centres and finally no Ashton in the team plus Dickson back to the Aviva Premiership where he belongs.. Also Tomkins reminds me of Tindell which I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.. and don't get me started on Goode being on the bench, I hope that this will be the last time that we see him wearing an England shirt..

Wade and Yarde are injured. I don't know why most people don't seem to know that.

Poor Goode getting bashed. No I wouldn't put him on the bench either but it's not his fault.
Beshocked.. I was obliviously aware of the injuries to Wade and Yarde but it doesn't mean I can't be completely underwhelmed by their replacements.
Why was Goode in the EPS ?? Shame Elliot Daley or Antony Watson couldn't have been given a run from the bench.. I would even prefer Strettle to Ashton..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

It should be Andy Goode on the bench.

The inform FH in the AP.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

sirtidychris I agree Burrell is unlucky. I would have arguably started him vs Australia.

In terms of the 10/12 passing the ball that's surely up to the coaches. If Farrell Jr is told by Catt and Farrell Sr to kick repeatedly again he will do so.

I feel that the coaches aren't getting enough criticism for the stuttering attack. Contrary to popular opinion I believe the players England have are good enough to play a more dynamic attacking style but need the right gameplan.

England got it right vs NZ and Scotland as all round performances - need to get back to those basics.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

I have to agree with most folks here. Burrell is not a sub. He has got to start, because he is not varied enough in his skill set to be a bench player. I do think he has been very effective for Saints this season. Let's see him get on with the club and maybe he is ready for the 6 Nations. He could really bring something different to Inside Centre.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:15 am

Perhaps its a master plan by SL put Goode on as IC if 12T has a bad game .3FBs on the pitch put in Nowell, Watson and Luke Arscott and have an entire back division of FBs!

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:30 pm

rosbif wrote:Perhaps its a master plan by SL put Goode on as IC if 12T has a bad game .3FBs on the pitch put in  Nowell, Watson and Luke Arscott  and have an entire back division of FBs!
Then we need a new coach. And you might be right FFS.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

I don't see why Burrell isn't a bench option.  Your key positions are scrum half, fly half and centre. With two fullbacks already, plus 3 fly halfs, I am not sure that Goode is a real necessity.  Would Goode do a better job as third choice flyhalf than Twelvetrees?

If we were 10 points down with 20 minutes to go is Goode someone you would turn to and think - yes he can change the game for us by coming on at fullback? I think I would have more faith in Flood coming on at 10, or Burrell in the centres.

As for the comment "Wade and Yarde are injured. I don't know why most people don't seem to know that."  We do know that, we just thought that England had more than 3 wingers available to them, rather than constantly having to play fullbacks out of position.  It seems poor planning by SL not to have adequate cover for every position.  Not my favourite player, but I think I would prefer to see Banahan on the wing rather than Foden.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I don't think we really have an attacking strategy, except kick the ball - effing constantly - and hope to play in their half.  To me, that is nothing.  And we have the perfect 10 to play that (lack of?) strategy.  For all Flood's faults, I prefer him to Farrell.  At least we would be making a half-arsed attempt to get things moving.  Moving forwards, I mean.  I would like to see Burrell playing off Flood.  Make a few yards, recycle and keep going forwards.  

Otherwise we can kick possession away.  Again.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down