The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handshakes. What to do?

+15
sodhat
Beer
Stella
Duty281
hmm is it?
super_realist
Kay Fabe
Thomond
John Cregan
Atila
azania
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
drsambo1928
GSC
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Handshakes. What to do? - Page 2 Empty Handshakes. What to do?

Post by GSC Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

My personal opinion is that they're grown men, and professionals, and that shaking somebody's hand isn't a big ask.

Now I can see in special circumstances it can be skipped, (a la John Terry and Wayne Bridge), but Anton refusing to shake Ashley's hand seems a bit OTT.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Handshakes. What to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Handshakes. What to do?

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 1:53 pm

Wonderful. Now care to explain why it is drivel?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Sep 2012, 1:54 pm

Handshakes are utterly pointless and a waste of time. Especially when they are then followed by players diving, trying to get each other booked, and general cynical play.

The league should do one of two things:

1. Make them mandatory and anyone who refuses to shake someones hand receives a fine.
2. Get rid of them.

I vote number 2.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 17 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

azania wrote:
GSC wrote:Ax is a known wum, I wouldn't take him too seriously

So not being a WUM would be to agree with something I dont agree with? If someone you knew got off for assaulting your sister (God forbid it never happens), would you shake his hand if asked and "move on"?

Trying too hard for bites.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:15 pm

Not at all.

Not answering the question I see.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:16 pm

In answering the OP, handshakes should stop. Pointless exercise. They should only be used in finals of major trophies if at all.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

Just shake hands after the game. Why it needs on prior to the match is just silly and needless.

In the years I played football I shook hands with people who called me a bald tnuc, white piece of chit, lanky streak of urine, handshuffler. You either shake hands or not. Too big of a deal for my liking.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

What astounds me is that this case went to trial and the prosecution had Zero witnesses of the 20 other players on the pitch(including AF) at the time. None of the officials were witnesses for the prosecution.

That's what makes Park Ji Sungs actions ridiculous..................

Of course the FA will find JT guilty and ban him because they will have to save face having effectively forced Capello out because he had the guts to stand up to them and tell them their actions were contrary to natural justice....................and of course Capello was proven right by a court of law.....................

The whole affair is bonkers............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:43 pm

crikey, someone speaking sense on this board. Mr Cregan I salute you clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:44 pm

I think the FA have to find him guilty based on the precedent in the Suarez case.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:44 pm

I think Park refused to the handshake because of his close friendship with Rio Ferdinand, Park doesn't come across as a petty point scorer so I believe he should be applauded for having the integrity to back up his opinion and belief's, it'd have been far easier to shake the guys hand, he choose not to.

For the record I don't believe John Terry is a racist and the evidence or lack of in a court of law also swung on his side, however its a deep personal issue now which the Ferdinand's have felt like they've been portrayed as the wrong dooers so there's always going to be resentment between the two parties and those closest to both parties, that's life, not everyone lives happily ever after, its done, I felt everyone acted responsibily and maturely enough through a potentially tricky situation

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:47 pm

Anton did nothing wrong.

Rio was an idiot, but does anyone expect anything more from him?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

John Terry also did nothing wrong, as proven in a Court of Law

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

I think he did say a racist comment.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:57 pm

Well, there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict. The prosection had to prove he said it and had intent.

The FA requires less.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 17 Sep 2012, 4:57 pm

Suarez probably would've been found not guilty in court also.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

Stella wrote:I think he did say a racist comment.

You think, that's my point, that's all any of us can do, we didn't hear what he actually said or the context it was said in so we'll never really know, and all that leaves is for us to 'think' and unfortunately when Football is concerned the way we think usually reflects our already predjudice opinions of certain individuals

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

Gaffer sums it up i think................how they FA will justify it when they find him guilty im not sure...........Terry will either sue them of go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

I can understand why Ferdinand wouldn't shake Terry's hand but it was absolutely ridiculous of him to refuse to shake Cole's hand. Ashley Cole has done nothing wrong here but seems to be a target of the Ferdinand brothers who are quickly becoming the footballing equivilent of Dumb and Dumber.

Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

And on the pre-match handshakes, they're a completely empty gesture at the best of times and the only time anyone pays any attention to them is when there's some controversy surrounding them i.e. Terry/Bridge, Evra/Suarez or Ferdinand/Terry. On those grounds I think they should be scrapped.

Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:25 pm

How about the FA finding him guilty based on what he said?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

GSC wrote:Anton did nothing wrong.

Rio was an idiot, but does anyone expect anything more from him?

What did Rio do wrong?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

GSC wrote:Well, there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict. The prosection had to prove he said it and had intent.

The FA requires less.
In English law its Beyond reasonable doubt. Didn't the judge say some things to question Terry but said there was sufficient doubt? Not exactly a ringing endorsement. The guy is scum.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

Reaper wrote:I can understand why Ferdinand wouldn't shake Terry's hand but it was absolutely ridiculous of him to refuse to shake Cole's hand. Ashley Cole has done nothing wrong here but seems to be a target of the Ferdinand brothers who are quickly becoming the footballing equivilent of Dumb and Dumber.

Confectionery Cole did nothing wrong?

Why are the Ferdinands becoming as you described them? They believe 100% that Terry racially abused AF. I'll ask again, if you wholeheartedly believe that some bloke assaulted your sister but was found not guilty in court, would you shake his hand? Someone please answer. Anyone. Please!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:33 pm

azania wrote:
Reaper wrote:I can understand why Ferdinand wouldn't shake Terry's hand but it was absolutely ridiculous of him to refuse to shake Cole's hand. Ashley Cole has done nothing wrong here but seems to be a target of the Ferdinand brothers who are quickly becoming the footballing equivilent of Dumb and Dumber.

Why are the Ferdinands becoming as you described them? They believe 100% that Terry racially abused AF. I'll ask again, if you wholeheartedly believe that some bloke assaulted your sister but was found not guilty in court, would you shake his hand? Someone please answer. Anyone. Please!

But Reaper understands why Ferdinand didn't shake Terry's hand...

He is disputing the Cole part OK
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:33 pm

Reaper wrote:And on the pre-match handshakes, they're a completely empty gesture at the best of times and the only time anyone pays any attention to them is when there's some controversy surrounding them i.e. Terry/Bridge, Evra/Suarez or Ferdinand/Terry. On those grounds I think they should be scrapped.

Gary Neville said that there had been over 400k handshaked prior to a match and only half a dozen issues. I said that they should be scrapped, but he has a point when he asked why?

For a Manure guy, he is a top bloke.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:34 pm

Olly wrote:
azania wrote:

He said the Ferdinands are the equivalent of dumber and dumber. Just wondered why?

Confectionery Cole gave evidence for Terry where he described his hearing was very selective.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:37 pm

azania wrote:
Olly wrote:
azania wrote:

He said the Ferdinands are the equivalent of dumber and dumber. Just wondered why?

Confectionery Cole gave evidence for Terry where he described his hearing was very selective.

But why did you dispute the not shaking of Terry's hand? Nobody is debating that, not many would shake Terry's hand in AF's situation.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

John Cregan wrote:What astounds me is that this case went to trial and the prosecution had Zero witnesses of the 20 other players on the pitch(including AF) at the time. None of the officials were witnesses for the prosecution.

That's what makes Park Ji Sungs actions ridiculous..................

Of course the FA will find JT guilty and ban him because they will have to save face having effectively forced Capello out because he had the guts to stand up to them and tell them their actions were contrary to natural justice....................and of course Capello was proven right by a court of law.....................

The whole affair is bonkers............

WHat is wrong for standing up for what you believe? Park did just that. He should be applauded for that. If you do not understand his actions, I know exactly why.

Why are you surprised it went to court. A lip reader saw JT mouth off the words and filed a complaint. The CPS decided there was enough evidence after questioning Terry. JT got off due to alleged context. You and everyone else with more that 2 brain cells knows the count was lying.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm

And not many would shake Cole's hand also. Doubt Rio would. Confectionery Cole is what is insultingly known as a House N (word).

Why are people referring to the Ferdy's as dumb because of this situation? AF was racially abused or so he felt.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm

The Ferdinands have come out looking terribly in all of this, first of all Anton was a completely unreliable witness in the trial and his testimony contridicted that of everyone else. Then he refuses to shake Ashley Cole's hand for no reason. Cole certainly didn't want to be a witness and seemed reluctant to get involved but was forced to by the courts. All he did was recount the events he had witnessed in the match and yet he's the one being victimized by both the Ferdinands who continue to damage their reputations with actions like this and Rio's actions on Twitter.

Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:59 am

azania wrote:
Reaper wrote:And on the pre-match handshakes, they're a completely empty gesture at the best of times and the only time anyone pays any attention to them is when there's some controversy surrounding them i.e. Terry/Bridge, Evra/Suarez or Ferdinand/Terry. On those grounds I think they should be scrapped.

Gary Neville said that there had been over 400k handshaked prior to a match and only half a dozen issues. I said that they should be scrapped, but he has a point when he asked why?

For a Manure guy, he is a top bloke.

Because the focus is on those dozen incidents, that's the problem with them. They only highlight the negatives but don't really show the positives, it's a completely empty gesture as it is being forced.

If I was forced to shake your hand, it's not really showing respect. However, if I am forced to shake your hand, but refuse, that is showing a lot of disrespect. There balance simply isn't there.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Sep 2012, 7:26 am

This whole debacle just shows how immature and stupid football and football "politics" are.

What a bunch of morons.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:04 am

First of all Anton should have a 50k fine for the stunt he pulled. Who does he think he is refusing to shake the hand of the current captain of the Champs League winners?? Only thing Anton has won is least ugly looking brother of the family. Secondly I hope Anton has a wife, JT will be sending her his "love" in coming days.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:First of all Anton should have a 50k fine for the stunt he pulled. Who does he think he is refusing to shake the hand of the current captain of the Champs League winners?? Only thing Anton has won is least ugly looking brother of the family. Secondly I hope Anton has a wife, JT will be sending her his "love" in coming days.

JT is also staggeringly ugly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:First of all Anton should have a 50k fine for the stunt he pulled. Who does he think he is refusing to shake the hand of the current captain of the Champs League winners?? Only thing Anton has won is least ugly looking brother of the family. Secondly I hope Anton has a wife, JT will be sending her his "love" in coming days.

Let's not forget that Chelsea won the Champions League in spite of John Terry, not because of him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm

I think it's up to the player if they want to shake the hand of their opponent. If Anton Ferdinand doesn't want to shake Terry's hand, that is his right. Same with Ashley Cole, Park Ji-Sung and every other footballer.

As for whether we should have pre-match handshakes, I think they should be a part of the game. Definitely. It is a sign of respecting the opposition and good sportsmanship. It sets an example for youngsters watching the game. Thousands of footballers shake hands, it's one or two occasions we get when it doesn't happen and there's a serious underlying issue behind all of them, be it racism, cheating, whatever. It's not like they're not shaking hands because they're not best mates.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:15 am

Its extremely disingenuous to wish someone goodluck when you're hoping they'll have a stinker, shaking someone's hand then trying to get them booked/sent off while looking to gain an unfair advantage through diving ect...

I've got no problem with the post match handshake, after all that's happened during the course of the game if two men wish to show their respect for one another by offering their hands then that for me is a true mark of Sportsmenship, not a manufactured sexed up version of it Pre-game

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:19 am

It's not showing somebody respect if the handshake is compulsory!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum