The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Scrum-half Crisis

+12
bsando
UlstermaninGlasgow
reallybored
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
KickAndChase
funnyExiledScot
Imperialbigdave
21st Century Schizoid Man
RDW
George Carlin
Cryptoyourisan
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scotland Scrum-half Crisis - Page 2 Empty Scotland Scrum-half Crisis

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the news that Chris Cusiter looks set to miss at least the Autumn Internationals, Scotland's depth at scrum-half is starting to look decidedly bleak, a problem that Scotland has not had in a long time. Given that neither Blair nor Lawson are playing top-flight rugby and, in any case, are the wrong side of 30-years-old, who do you think is likely to feature for Scotland at scrum-half in the Autumn Internationals and Six Nations? Should Scotland continue with Blair and Lawson despite the fact they will struggle to make the next Rugby World Cup and are not playing in the Top 14 or Premiership or should Scotland award new caps?

I'm still not convinced that Laidlaw should be playing stand-off but he's spent the past 18 months trying to become one so to move him back to scrum-half and bring in Duncan Weir, who is hardly playing well at the moment, would be a mistake in my opinion. Henry Pyrgos's form has always been hit-and-miss for Glasgow and I'm not entirely sure who Edinburgh have on the books who is eligible for Scotland. I can't remember Ross Samson ever getting much game time for London Irish and I'm struggling to think who is there is available not still on training contracts at Edinburgh and Glasgow. For a position as important as scrum-half and the fact that most international squads will have three, it's a bit of a farcical situation really.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Scotland Scrum-half Crisis - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland Scrum-half Crisis

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Its a toss up between Tonks, Brown and Murchie for the fullback role.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Its a toss up between Tonks, Brown and Murchie for the fullback role.
Your'e forgetting Southwell and also Sean Lamont who in Robinson's opinion can play anywhere although he'll probably be scum-half.

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:29 am

What are you talking about? It's clear Lamont will be slotted in at 10 in order for Laidlaw to cover both 9 and 10 (on the bench) with Blair only playing at 9 after Robinson re-attempts to call up Shingler for the 9 jersey.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Its a toss up between Tonks, Brown and Murchie for the fullback role.
Conventional wisdom has it that Tonks at full back and Brown and Visser on the wings would be a multi-skilled and balanced back 3.

So watch for Robinson putting Lee Jones and Laidlaw and loose and tighthead respectively with Jim Hamilton and Graham Morrison as centres for 'some go-forward'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Whilst Murchie played well for Glasgow at the weekend, I don't think he's an international calibre player. That's the first time I've been genuinely impressed with him. I'd have Tonks a fair bit ahead, and if you were genuinely looking at form, Southwell also (although I wouldn't pick Southwell personally).

I watched Gloucester on Saturday, and Jim Hamilton is in very good form. Nailed on to start at 4. Now up to Gray to shine amongst to mediocrity at Sale and win the 5 jersey, otherwise the plodding ruck inspector will likely return in order to monitor just how quickly the All Blacks counter ruck us off the ball......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Whilst Murchie played well for Glasgow at the weekend, I don't think he's an international calibre player. That's the first time I've been genuinely impressed with him. I'd have Tonks a fair bit ahead, and if you were genuinely looking at form, Southwell also (although I wouldn't pick Southwell personally).
+1 to all of that

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm hopeful that Hogg will make it back in time, the original estimate when he was injured was "up to eight weeks", from 24th August. So he should be aiming to return for the HC game against Ulster on 19th October, followed by Pro12 games against Treviso and Dragons to find some form and build up match fitness before the All Blacks.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:10 pm

He'll need to play all three of those game to get up to match fitness to be ready for the all blacks, and I can't see toonie just chucking him in for a hc fixture.

Don't think he'll be ready, and I don't want him rushed back.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Obviously wouldn't want to compromise his recovery by rushing him back but he's making positive noises about his recovery on twitter so may even be back before the 8 weeks is up. Even if he plays prem rugby on the 20th followed by the two pro12 games I'd at least consider him, depending on how his fitness looks over 80 mins in those games. I know Brown and Tonks are able replacements but just feel Hogg has that spark we need

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 pm

As for scrum half, in the absence of Cusiter I'd also go with Blair, despite playing in ProD2, it is reportedly a more competitive league than the championship and he is our best option while Laidlaw is playing at ten. However as others have said, I would also trust Laidlaw to provide cover for 9, and feel that he would be a better option than Lawson or the others we have available. For me most of the rest of the backline picks itself now that Ansbro is unavailable (subject to form closer to the time of course). I wouldn't say I'm confident that Hogg will make it but I am hopeful.

9 Blair
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Brown/Evans
15 Hogg/Brown

And for the forwards we can pick a pretty strong pack, fingers crossed they all remain fit. Of the unavailable players, arguably Murray, Welsh, Harley or McArthur could have made the 22, but probably not the starting 15 except in Murray's case. Good to see Brown back from injury, and Hamilton after his suspension, and both captaining their club sides.

1 Grant
2 Ford
3 Cross/Low
4 Gray
5 Hamilton
6 Brown
7 Rennie
8 Denton

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:55 pm

Article in the Hootsman at the weekend claiming that Robinson has given Blair and Lawson assurances that them playing for their lower league clubs won't affect their Scotland selection.

Tell you what though French 2nd division is no Sunday school picnic - Blair's first game there were 6 yellow cards and 3 reds! It sounds brutal!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:36 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:otherwise the plodding ruck inspector will likely return in order to monitor just how quickly the All Blacks counter ruck us off the ball......

Laugh

I certainly think that Laidlaw should/could slot into the 9 position again with relatively no fuss. IMO he should do just that.

Jackson Impressed me a lot in the Connacht game at the weekend. Set up DTH's try very well with a fantastic pass. Weir has taken a step backwards recently but I'm happy Jackson seems to have recovered a bit of form.

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Brown
15. Hogg

I have also been quite impressed with McInally for Edinburgh. I would anticipate him to play some part in the AI's I would think.

I also feel if Murchie can build on his performance this weekend he'll be involved too.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:41 am

It's a shame we've got the ABs first off too - nothing like a humping to give confidence to new players and units within the team!

I see that the ABs schedule is us first, then Italy then Wales and finally England.

With that in mind I can see the first choice ABs team facing us.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:50 am

lets be fair RDW, NZ could put their 3rds out and still cuff us comfortably.

I would be extatic with 2 wins from 3 in this series.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 am

Yes, we really have to target the South Africa match.

I genuinely think (after the Bokke peformances in the RC) that this is winnable if everyone has a blinder.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:51 am

wtf - Hogg named on the Glasgow bench for this Friday's match! Even my optmism didn't stretch that far!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 am

Now that is a fast recovery!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 am

Superb news, Pat - not only is he a great player, he's a great healer too!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Superb news, Pat - not only is he a great player, he's a great healer too!

Perhaps he can teach Rory Lamont a thing or two about healing quickly. A broken nail puts him out for 6 months!

Because we start with the All Blacks it's particularly important that Robinson selects players who are fully fit and on form. No gambles with match fitness, otherwise another 40 point drubbing will be on the cards.

Delighted Hogg is back so soon. Hopefully he'll come off the bench on Friday and can be selected thereafter. Tonks has been great for Edinburgh so far, but I'd still go with an on form Hogg if he's fully fit. Remarkable recovery.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Assuming Hogg is fully recovered. It's not unusual to see players rushed back too soon and have a recurrence of the injury or just play poorly and lose confidence. Then again, I suppose it's better to be chancing it on the Zebre game.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 pm

One pass and Jesus walks on water again???

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2