The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on the Arsenal game

3 posters

Go down

Thoughts on the Arsenal game Empty Thoughts on the Arsenal game

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Before yesterday I thought we could come away from the Emirates with 3 points, but given the circumstances of the game I'd say we should be pretty content with a draw.

There were heroic performances all over the pitch but I've got to especially single out Jack Robinson for the way he played after coming on in difficult circumstances. He didn't give Theo Walcott a sniff and continued to excel even when faced with Bendtner and then Arshavin.

The whole back line played exceptionally well, the midfield worked tirelessly (I was watching with a mate who hasn't seen much of Liverpool and he was like "Lucas is playing well isn't he?" and my reply was simply "It's what he does mate"!) and fair play to Andy Carroll for wanting to carry on after what looked to be a game ending injury. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the lad but it's still nice to see, although obviously I hope he hasn't done any damage to himself!

I think if we'd had the same set of circumstances earlier in the season or last season we'd have crumbled but the one thing the King has really gotten back into this squad is some belief. Hopefully we end the season on a high with an unbeaten run!

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the Arsenal game Empty Re: Thoughts on the Arsenal game

Post by liverbnz Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I agreed with Kenny after the game. It was a game where we couldn't have been any more committed, but lacked the quality - which is totally understandable given our squad.

Everyone gave 100% from gk to forwards and I think we deserved the point in the end. Stand-out performers for me were the 2 young full-backs, Spearing and the best of the lot, Lucas. Spearing came out with a lot of credit from Sunday and rightly so, but Lucas does everything Spearing does only without the blood and thunder and with that little bit more intelligence. In fact, Spearing is benefiting from playing alongside the Brazilian number 5.

And how annoying is it to constantly here that 'unBrazilian-like' desciptor of Lucas? You'd think every Brazilian that every played the game could beat 6 players then flick the ball up and overhead bicycle kick the ball into the net off the bar and post. Don't these people remember Dunga, Falcao, Mauro Silva, Gilberto Silva, etc? Of those I know about, you wouldn't say Lucas plays excatly like any, but more a mixture of them all*

*I'm not saying Lucas is better or even as good as any of those players, just using them for comparison - something that was never grasped on the old 606.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Totally agree with you liverbnz.

Unfortunately I think that Lucas will be stuck with the 'unBrazilian-like' moniker in much the same way as Peter Crouch 'has a lovely touch for a big fella'. It's one of these things that gets repeated over & over and it'll follow him around for the rest of his career I'm afraid.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Smile Poor old Crouchie. How dare he control a football the lanky so and so!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 am

What's this? A player not conforming to our stereotypical views of what he SHOULD be like?!

Mention it at every turn I say!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Crouch is a very continental type of forward though to be fair, reminds me of a German who played with Hamburg called Baron in the 90s

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 am

Did this Baron bloke have a lovely touch for a big fella gaffer?

Agree with your views on Crouch, he doesn't conform to the blueprint of a typical English centre forward. Andy Carroll on the other hand is desperately going around trying to convince anybody who'll listen that HE'S not your typical English centre forward and that HE has a lovely touch for a big fella.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down